Embid likely to have surgery.

+4
tjmakz
gyso
wideclyde
Matty
8 posters

Go down

Embid likely  to have surgery. Empty Embid likely to have surgery.

Post by Matty Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:30 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245383/Joel-Embiid-Very-Likely-To-Undergo-Knee-Surgery

●●● mattys note..  did anyone pull a fast one and tell the basketball gods that this poor b@stard was drafted by portland? Sure seems like someone did.
Matty
Matty

Back to top Go down

Embid likely  to have surgery. Empty Re: Embid likely to have surgery.

Post by wideclyde Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:08 am

This guy is a beast when he can stay healthy. Too bad the injury bug has already seems to have him by the throat.

It only appears that Embiid, unfortunately, will have a shorter than expected NBA career.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:02 pm

By the time he becomes healthy (if ever) he will be at or near the end of his rookie contract and the 76 Tank Squad could lose him to free agency.

I love it when a plan comes together! *lights cigar*

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Who knows how Embiid will heal, but meniscus surgery is usually not a big deal.
I wouldn't be surprised if he's ready to start next season.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:15 pm

The fickle finger of fate - intervened when the Celtics tanked in 2006-07 with the hope of landing Greg Oden.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:21 pm

tjmakz wrote:Who knows how Embiid will heal, but meniscus surgery is usually not a big deal.

TJ,

I can't find any info about which meniscus, but I'm assuming it's a MCL and NOT an ACL. I cannot see anybody continuing to walk, much less play NBA basketball, with a torn ACL. MCL's heal well post-surgery, but I've heard you never get back to 100%. Close, but not all the way.

A word from Worcester here would be helpful.

My issue is with the recurring nature of his injuries. 2 surgeries on his right foot and now a problem with his left knee. Could this have been a compensating injury? Either way, it would be a damn shame if this cut his career down to only a couple of years. He really is remarkable to watch.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:28 pm

bobheckler wrote:
tjmakz wrote:Who knows how Embiid will heal, but meniscus surgery is usually not a big deal.

TJ,

I can't find any info about which meniscus, but I'm assuming it's a MCL and NOT an ACL.  I cannot see anybody continuing to walk, much less play NBA basketball, with a torn ACL.  MCL's heal well post-surgery, but I've heard you never get back to 100%.  Close, but not all the way.

My issue is with the recurring nature of his injuries.  2 surgeries on his right foot and now a problem with his left knee.  Could this have been a compensating injury?  Either way, it would be a damn shame if this cut his career down to only a couple of years.  He really is remarkable to watch.

bob

Yes, Worcester could provide more facts about this.

Meniscus is neither the ACL or MCL.
I had an MRI in November and I have torn meniscus in my right knee.
Rest helped and I do not need surgery. Fingers crossed.
His meniscus tear(s) are probably worse than mine.
I play basketball every week with no issues now.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:56 pm

tjmakz wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

TJ,

I can't find any info about which meniscus, but I'm assuming it's a MCL and NOT an ACL.  I cannot see anybody continuing to walk, much less play NBA basketball, with a torn ACL.  MCL's heal well post-surgery, but I've heard you never get back to 100%.  Close, but not all the way.

My issue is with the recurring nature of his injuries.  2 surgeries on his right foot and now a problem with his left knee.  Could this have been a compensating injury?  Either way, it would be a damn shame if this cut his career down to only a couple of years.  He really is remarkable to watch.

bob

Yes, Worcester could provide more facts about this.

Meniscus is neither the ACL or MCL.
I had an MRI in November and I have torn meniscus in my right knee.
Rest helped and I do not need surgery. Fingers crossed.
His meniscus tear(s) are probably worse than mine.
I play basketball every week with no issues now.

I've had meniscus tears in both knees.  One was surgically repaired, the other took several weeks of rehab.  My understanding is they actually just trim the rough edges because a meniscus does not heal; it's cartilage, so there is no blood flow to it.   Neither has caused any slow down in activities or abilities...although the passing years are starting to do their thing!  From what the surgeon told me, there can be varying degrees of severity in the damage. That might dictate any long-term impact on a players career.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:45 pm

Contrary to popular misconception, the meniscus cartilages do have a blood supply which helps them to heal, and they can heal on their own if the tear is not too bad, if the surfaces are not too rough, and if there is not a flap that interferes with the unobstructed mobility of the joint. Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy can be very effective at helping the meniscus actually to regrow. The American medical world scoffs at such claims, but I have seen X-rays before and after showing the separation of the tibia and femur created by regrowth of the meniscus.

For deeper insight, check out this ten part weblink:

http://www.medicinenet.com/torn_meniscus/article.htm

Personally, I think Embiis is f#%ked, but I do wish him well. Foot injuries in a big man can lead to recurrent structural problems. He's a helluva player and a good kid.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down