Its sink or swim time for Rasheed Wallace

2 posters

Go down

Its sink or swim time for Rasheed Wallace Empty Its sink or swim time for Rasheed Wallace

Post by Brandon$$ Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:04 pm

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2010/04/17/celtics_wallace_not_backing_down/

Rasheed Wallace was eyeing 72 wins six months ago, and he wasn’t afraid to put it on the record. That was when he was endearing to Celtics fans, not enraging.

He was thought to be Kevin Garnett’s kindred spirit, not just an insurance policy, and Wallace was one of the few players Garnett would snap out of his pregame tunnel vision to embrace.

Wallace was still the fresh-faced offseason addition, the veteran who brought a championship ring from his days with the Pistons. He was the player who could (theoretically) go in the post — and shoot the three. The walking technical foul Celtics fans hated as the opponent, but instantly understood once he put on the Green.

So much happens in six months.

Wallace fell in love with a 3-point shot that didn’t love him back. Logic forced him to explore the post more in the second half of the season. He exploded at times, earning 17 technicals, although three were rescinded. He was praised for his basketball IQ, but he struggled to pick up the complex Celtics defense. He became a symbol of an aging, underachieving team.

One night he missed so many 3-pointers that sighs turned to boos at the Garden.

“I’m going to be me,’’ Wallace said. “Half of the people like me, half of the people don’t. I’m not out here to please the fans or whatever, I’m here to win the title. Some of the fans are mad with me. Some of the fans cheer for me. I can’t worry about that. I can’t play my game off that. So I’m going to go out there and do what I’ve got to do.’’

Wallace has maintained that April was when shots, games, and wins mattered most, and once that time came he’d be ready. Now’s the time, and the player with 150 games worth of postseason experience said he still lives for big games.

“That’s what gets me motivated,’’ Wallace said.

He put up career-low averages in almost every meaningful category (9 points, 4.1 rebounds, 41 percent shooting, 28 percent from 3-point range), and won’t argue that the regular season was a disappointment.

“It was nothing to write home about, but I’m not worried about it,’’ Wallace said. “It’s a down season coming into a new offense or whatever. I’m not worried about it. I’m not making no excuses on how I shot the ball or nothing. I know I had a bad year shooting, but it’s part of it.’’

He’s been the easy scapegoat for a season gone awry. Is he in shape? Does he know the system? Is he apathetic? Does he fit in the locker room? Is he what the Celtics said he would be?

“To me, it doesn’t matter,’’ Wallace said. “I’ve been in this game too long to sit up here and play my game depending on how the fans like me. Shoot, when I first got to Portland they didn’t like me. When I first got to Detroit they didn’t like me. So when I first got here they didn’t like me. It’s nothing new. I can’t focus my game on what the fans think.’’

The tipping point was the explosion in a victory over the Cavaliers April 4. Wallace, upset over an official’s call, screamed at anyone he could, including Celtics coach Doc Rivers.

Rivers didn’t see it as an issue, and he expects Wallace to be better in the postseason.

“I expect to see improved play from everybody, Rasheed included,’’ Rivers said. “I think we all have to do our jobs better. I think Rasheed will have great focus.’’

As to whether there’s added pressure on Wallace after maintaining he’d turn it on in the playoffs, Rivers said, “When you go into the playoffs you have pressure. There’s no added pressure. It’s the playoffs. No matter what happened in the regular season, it doesn’t matter. You feel like going into the playoffs, you have to be ready.’’

Wallace started the season with a prediction. Now he’ll have to do his fortune-telling on the court.

“I know how we’ll play,’’ he said. “Bottom line. If I had any doubts about it I wouldn’t be as confident, but my confidence level is high. Our confidence level is real high right now. I know how we’ll come out there and play.’
Brandon$$
Brandon$$

Back to top Go down

Its sink or swim time for Rasheed Wallace Empty Re: Its sink or swim time for Rasheed Wallace

Post by MDCelticsFan Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:32 am

It's time for 'Sheed to earn his keep. There have been many instances this season where he was noticeably half steppin'-'Sheed, this is the playoffs man, Ain't No Half Steppin' Now!

MDCelticsFan

Back to top Go down