What/Who Would You Trade For Kristaps Porzingis?

+12
dboss
mulcogiseng
tjmakz
RosalieTCeltics
cowens/oldschool
jrleftfoot
willjr
gyso
kdp59
Matty
bobheckler
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What/Who Would You Trade For Kristaps Porzingis? - Page 2 Empty Re: What/Who Would You Trade For Kristaps Porzingis?

Post by bobheckler Sat May 06, 2017 1:28 pm

bobheckler wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:the way Jackson keeps throwing Melo under the bus is amazing. some of his other comments are just as puzzling. Why Dolan resigned him is a puzzle we will never solve, but it appears to me that Jackson is looking for them to fire him at some point and collect his money still. Then move on.  Where? Who
the hell  knows, as far as I am concerned, he is a dinosaur now. The game has passed him by. It is time for retirement, I don't care how much of genius they say he is, the game is not the same. Some adapt, he has not. So, that being said, will he make a stupid trade to really screw up the Knicks or will he find a way of getting rid of Melo without too much fanfare.

I will still say once and for all, I WANT NO PART OF MELO!!!  That is a player dump as far as I am concerned. He is on his way down, why would we give up good young talent for a guy who is a ball hog and will change our offense completely.  KEEP HIM OUT OF BOSTON

Rosalie,

Melo?  NO.  Zinger?  YES.  

Here's an intriguing question, I think, that I'd like to hear people chime in on:

When Danny made The Trade with Brooklyn he got this bounty of draft picks, and a decent player on short-term rentals (e.g Hump), a throwaway in Marshon Brooks and he ate a 3-year $30M contract on Gerald Wallace who was clearly, even back then, on the decline.  In the end, we got limited play out of Wallace but are now starting to reap the rewards of the rest of the trade.

If Danny could get Porzingis should he be willing to take Melo off of Phil's hands as part of the deal, like the way he took Wallace off of Billy King's hands?  Would landing a possibly transcendental player like Kristaps Porzingis be worth the 2 years of pain of Melo (assuming he picks up his player option.  If he doesn't, because he's a 10+ year veteran and can get a bigger max contract now (his ego may tell him he could get that) then Danny gets out from under it a year earlier but assuming that Melo stays in his contract it's two more years.  And, as much as I don't like Melo's game he is still an effective player who might be better in Brad's system.  Certainly better than Wallace was.  And what's to stop Danny from trading Melo for a lost dog and then finding that dog a good home?  Maybe the reason why Phil's having trouble with moving Melo is because of Melo's no-trade clause, which would still be a problem, but also because he's asking for too much in return?  Suppose we traded Melo to Minny for Pekovic, who might not ever play again, or some deal like that?  A Gerald Wallace for David Lee type of thing?  

Danny wants max flexibility to sign a high quality free agent this summer.  If he can get Zinger that's probably as good, or better, a player as he would be able to sign as a free agent and he's on a cheap contract for 2 more years (plus another as an RFA, which we could match).

What do you think?  Would you be willing to hold your nose and take Melo, and give up the 2017 and maybe 2018 Nets picks and Jae Crowder and maybe  AB and a Kelly sign-and-trade for $13M for Zinger?  I used the ESPN Trade Machine.  Melo + Zinger for Jae, AB and Amir works.  I doubt Phil would want Amir, but Amir's $12M contract is close enough to the money Kelly will make next year so I plugged his contract in to make the numbers fit.  That makes the deal Melo + Porzingis = Crowder + Bradley + Kelly + 2017 Nets pick.  Bradley only has one more year on his contract and he'll get a BIG raise.  Porzingis would most certainly fix our PF, rebounding and rim protection problems and he would fix them for years.  He isn't even 23 yet.

bob

Just to fill this out a bit more, here's what our depth chart would like like:

Ball-handlers - IT, Rozier, Smart, Jackson
Wings - Melo, Brown, Green (?), Nader
Swings - Porzingis, Yabby, Mickey, Jerebko (?)
Bigs - Horford, Zizic

There's 14 players, two of whom might not be back (Gerald Green and Jonas Jerebko).  We pick up $28M in contracts, give up about the same, but lose our cap flexibility because of Melo but, once again, the whole reason for having cap flexibility is so we can land a player of Porzingis' caliber.  If we can achieve that goal by trade, what's the diff? We have a definite upgrade at PF. We have a short-term upgrade at SF (as much as I like Jae Crowder Melo is a better player in the short-term) and Jaylen Brown is still going to get a lot of minutes moving forward and grow into his role.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

What/Who Would You Trade For Kristaps Porzingis? - Page 2 Empty Re: What/Who Would You Trade For Kristaps Porzingis?

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat May 06, 2017 2:28 pm

NO depeleting half this team and giving up some future for Porzingas? Because that is what you are saying. Melo is on his way out, sorry, let Doc Rivers over pay him, taking that contract makes me sick. Look back at the comments over the years we had to keep Wallace until Danny ate his contract.

Giving up too much. I like Crowder but I can see that he is big trade bait this year, so it is not him, and Stevens likes Kelly but I can see him giving in to that, but Bradley too AND both the picks. Uh no, just too much for one guy. I like the guy and think he would do great under Brad, but gutting the team and giving up the future is not my cup of tea. I know one of the guards is going to have to go, After the way Smart has been playing in this series (7 or 8 turnovers the other night, ???missed shots, I could see him being the one on the block. I just don't want to be watching the first game he plays against us if he goes!!!!

I guess I am not a daredevil, there are others out there who would jump at this trade. DON'T SEE ANYTHING LIKE THIS HAPPENING. Why, Danny can't stand the idea that someone else is picking HIS POCKET!!

RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat May 06, 2017 3:17 pm

Porzingis isn't going anywhere.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat May 06, 2017 3:26 pm

Not sure if Jackson trades Porzingis, but he should as it may be his fastest way to rebuild the Knicks from the ground up.

Jackson should realize that Porzingus has already made the decision to leave NY as soon as he can (two years from now as a restricted free agent or three years at the latest as a full free agent) with the player's decision to hike out of town rather than go to an exit meeting.  This kid is not going to be less frustrated in NY next year or in the year after at this point.

In my opinion, the Knicks are in no position to think that they can contend for a title within the next three years.  Too much turmoil with Jackson (quality free agents have to be very concerned about signing with the Knicks no matter how much money they have to spend), his triangle offense that he continues to force his head coaches to teach and utilize, Anthony being an albatross, not having any quality young players (other than Hernangomez) who are likely to develop into title type rotational players, etc, etc.

Their best move may to trade Porzingis for as many high level draft picks as possible much more than thinking of guys like Avery Bradley in trades who will be expensive in four years time and also will be over 30 years old.

So, which team around has the most high level draft picks to offer the Knicks?  Well, of course, it is the Cs  who also happen to very much need help in their frontcourt.  Following the Patriots recent method of using high draft picks for young, already proven NFL players could be a great way for the Cs to proceed as well (although they do not need any NFL players).

With a slew of good to excellent guards already on our team I would give up this year's number one pick (likely to be a guard-Fultz or Bell?), and a couple of other draft picks (San Diego in 2019, Boston in 2018, etc), and some second round picks for Porzingis who is a proven NBA, mobile, multi talented big man who is also not finished improving his game after only two years in the NBA.

The Celtics get a center to pair with Horford who will be better (and, certainly much sooner as Porzingis starts to make contributions next season as a starter while any of the big men in the 2018 draft probably do not help much until at least 2019) than any of the 2018 picks, we still have plenty more picks including the Nets pick in 2018) and the Knicks build themselves a younger (two top ten picks this year and a likely top three pick next year), more adept (happier?) with the triangle offense for when they may be able to become a decent team again (three or four years down the road).

Last edited by wideclyde on Sun May 07, 2017 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat May 06, 2017 8:06 pm

NYCelt,,,,I totally agree. His name is out there because he left NY for home disheartened, but then when interviewed said he wants to stay in NY. This is all dreaming by Celtic fans enamoured of his high skill level. He is a star of the future.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun May 07, 2017 12:50 pm

wideclyde wrote:Not sure if Jackson trades Porzingis, but he should as it may be his fastest way to rebuild the Knicks from the ground up.

Jackson should realize that Porzingus has already made the decision to leave NY as soon as he can (two years from now as a restricted free agent or three years at the latest as a full free agent) with the player's decision to hike out of town rather than go to an exit meeting.  This kid is not going to be less frustrated in NY next year or in the year after at this point.

In my opinion, the Knicks are in no position to think that they can contend for a title within the next three years.  Too much turmoil with Jackson (quality free agents have to be very concerned about signing with the Knicks no matter how much money they have to spend), his triangle offense that he continues to force his head coaches to teach and utilize, Anthony being an albatross, not having any quality young players (other than Hernangomez) who are likely to develop into title type rotational players, etc, etc.

Their best move may to trade Porzingis for as many high level draft picks as possible much more than thinking of guys like Avery Bradley in trades who will be expensive in four years time and also will be over 30 years old.

So, which team around has the most high level draft picks to offer the Knicks?  Well, of course, it is the Cs  who also happen to very much need help in their frontcourt.  Following the Patriots recent method of using high draft picks for young, already proven NFL players could be a great way for the Cs to proceed as well (although they do not need any NFL players).

With a slew of good to excellent guards already on our team I would give up this year's number one pick (likely to be a guard-Fultz or Bell?), and a couple of other draft picks (San Diego in 2019, Boston in 2018, etc), and some second round picks for Porzingis who is a proven NBA, mobile, multi talented big man who is also not finished improving his game after only two years in the NBA.

The Celtics get a center to pair with Horford who will be better (and, certainly much sooner as Porzingis starts to make contributions next season as a starter while any of the big men in the 2018 draft probably do not help much until at least 2019) than any of the 2018 picks, we still have plenty more picks including the Nets pick in 2018) and the Knicks build themselves a younger (two top ten picks this year and a likely top three pick next year), more adept (happier?) with the triangle offense for when they may be able to become a decent team again (three or four years down the road).

Clyde,

I agree.

The article says that teams called Phil about Porzingis, doesn't say he didn't laugh in his face.

We know he covets Jae Crowder, he has said he felt like he missed a golden opportunity to pick him up when he was with Dallas. Who wouldn't want Avery Bradley, who will be due for a BIG raise in a year?

We already have a lot of youth on our team and we can add Nader, Yabby, Zizic next year, so if we have to give up some of our youth we're not suddenly turning into a team of geriatrics. Fultz/Ball are "franchise players"? So is Porzingis, and he's a proven entity and only 21 years old. Suppose we offered next year's Nets pick instead of this year's and gave him Jaylen Brown and took Tatum or Jackson with the pick? I don't watch college ball but are either of those two players NOT comparable quality to Jaylen? We could have a replacement for Brown, and still get a franchise player in Zinger.

Once again, this is all predicated upon the article which said that teams called Phil about Zinger. It doesn't say whether Phil had the phone on mute so he could laugh himself sick.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun May 07, 2017 5:42 pm

Wideclyde, I very much like your idea: "With a slew of good to excellent guards already on our team I would give up this year's number one pick (likely to be a guard-Fultz or Bell?), and a couple of other draft picks (San Diego in 2019, Boston in 2018, etc), and some second round picks for Porzingis who is a proven NBA, mobile, multi talented big man who is also not finished improving his game after only two years in the NBA."

But who the hell is San Diego?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2