Rmbone
bobheckler
22 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

The Markelle Fultz Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: The Markelle Fultz Thread

Post by red16russ11 Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:48 pm

bobheckler wrote:Watching this video, the things I notice:

1.  He has a very nice high release point on his shot, it is smooth as silk and it is repetitive.  Every shot of his is NOT an adventure in mechanics.
2.  He doesn't seem to have explosive speed horizontally, but he gets up quick.  Sorta like an Evan Turner with hops.
3.  Will need to work on his handle.  Ok for college, he'll get stripped or get hands on the ball a lot in the NBA.  Then again, I have no idea how Evan Turner has gotten away with his high, loose dribble all these years either.  Maybe I just have a blind spot.
4.  Has a nice crossover to create space for his shot.  Not enough footspeed to penetrate off it but a Kobe-like ability (or, at least, "intent") to get his man going one way and then crossing over one step to get his shot off.  Kobe continued to make a career out of that long after his physical skills had begun to erode.

My conclusion, from watching this video alone, is that he is not uber-athletic.  He has good size (6'4") but is more of a crafty player, a player who knows how to get what he wants rather than a player like, say, Jaylen Brown, who uses his athleticism to give him an advantage.  One thing that is absolutely, positively for certain is that he has a shooter's touch, a shooter's mentality.

bob

I was starting to comment, but I'll have to return. Too upset. RIP Batman aka Adam West...... Crying or Very sad
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Shooters we need. And if GSW loses the next 3 games, I assume there'll be many people in the Bay area ordering lots of shooters at the bar.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:59 pm

Thanks for the video, Bob. I think Fultz is exactly what we need. He reminded my of Kyrie Irving in that video. I think he could at a minimum lead our second unit for a year. Put him with Smart, Brown and Zizic, and we have the makings of a good bench. Now, about our starting team.............
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:12 pm

This is Fultz' career game.  37 points, 8 assists (to a very untalented bunch of teammates), 5 rebounds and at least 3 blocks that I counted.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:14 pm

1.  He has a very nice high release point on his shot, it is smooth as silk and it is repetitive.  Every shot of his is NOT an adventure in mechanics.
2.  He doesn't seem to have explosive speed horizontally, but he gets up quick.  Sorta like an Evan Turner with hops.
3.  Will need to work on his handle.  Ok for college, he'll get stripped or get hands on the ball a lot in the NBA.  Then again, I have no idea how Evan Turner has gotten away with his high, loose dribble all these years either.  Maybe I just have a blind spot.
4.  Has a nice crossover to create space for his shot.  Not enough footspeed to penetrate off it but a Kobe-like ability (or, at least, "intent") to get his man going one way and then crossing over one step to get his shot off.  Kobe continued to make a career out of that long after his physical skills had begun to erode.

My conclusion, from watching this video alone, is that he is not uber-athletic.  He has good size (6'4") but is more of a crafty player, a player who knows how to get what he wants rather than a player like, say, Jaylen Brown, who uses his athleticism to give him an advantage.  One thing that is absolutely, positively for certain is that he has a shooter's touch, a shooter's mentality.

bob

Bob,

This is a good video of Fultz.
We have to remember that these are highlights of his best plays.
To get a better understanding about players, watching game videos is much more accurate.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:41 pm

tjmakz wrote:

bob

Bob,

This is a good video of Fultz.
We have to remember that these are highlights of his best plays.
To get a better understanding about players, watching game videos is much more accurate.

TJ,

I absolutely agree and have pointed out many times, especially with Zizic and Yabusele highlight films, that you only see the good stuff on highlight films so you have to watch for the dog that doesn't bark. If you don't see them hitting a lot of fritos then you should assume they aren't taking many and/or aren't making many. If you don't see them grabbing rebounds, assume they aren't getting many. There are a lot of basketball plays that are good but don't make highlight films, like rotating well on defense and forcing the pass out.

Unfortunately, in this specific context, my lack of interest in college sports hasn't let me do what you suggest. That's why I rely so heavily upon board members who do love college hoops.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:58 pm

Defense!!  Defense!!  Defense!!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:06 pm

Oui. Oui.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:25 pm

bobheckler wrote:This is Fultz' career game.  37 points, 8 assists (to a very untalented bunch of teammates), 5 rebounds and at least 3 blocks that I counted.

bob

That Colorado team was equally terrible.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:45 pm

Rmbone wrote:
bobheckler wrote:This is Fultz' career game.  37 points, 8 assists (to a very untalented bunch of teammates), 5 rebounds and at least 3 blocks that I counted.

bob

Rmbone,

Washington finished 9-22.

Colorado finished 19-15.

bov

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:33 pm

bov, that's for Bob on Beverages.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:04 pm

bobheckler wrote:
Rmbone wrote:

bob

Rmbone,

Washington finished 9-22.

Colorado finished 19-15.

bov

Good catch, they were the 7th best team in the Pac 12.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:45 pm

Brad Stevens' ATO notebook just got a little thicker.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PlayersTribune/status/874320922932633600/video/1

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:36 pm

http://nesn.com/2017/06/markelle-fultz-reportedly-had-bad-shooting-day-in-celtics-workout/

Markelle Fultz Reportedly Had Bad Shooting Day In Celtics Workout

by Joshua Schrock

on Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 9:36PM

Markelle Fultz is expected to be drafted by the Boston Celtics with the No. 1 overall selection in the 2017 NBA Draft, but apparently, the star guard didn’t have the best workout with the C’s.

ESPN’s Jeff Goodman went on WEEI’s “Dale and Holley with Keefe” on Monday and shed some light on the Washington guard’s audition.

“From what I’m told, Fultz didn’t shoot the ball exceptionally well in his workout in Boston,” Goodman said. “But they know he can shoot the ball. So, it’s one workout. … I still think it’s gonna be Fultz at (No. 1), Lonzo Ball at (No. 2).”

Fultz is an electric guard who has the ability to score the ball from all over the court. He would be an ideal fit for the Celtics as he can play on the wing alongside All-Star point guard Isaiah Thomas.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmbone Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:43 pm

Smart had a bad shooting workout, and they brought him back for a second workout. Julius Randle refused a second workout.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:50 pm

I would be surprised if they brought him back. They have watched this kid since he was a young high school and AAU player, and the one year he spent in college. They know what he can do, he has be scouted all of last year. There is hardly anything they do not know about him. Time will tell, but if he is called back to Boston, he will be soon They have one week (God, I wish it was this week!!!) to make up their minds.

Do you really think Danny is second guessing himself??
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:08 pm

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach

The DeMatha High advisor said Stevens inquired about how Fultz handles disappointment & confronts weakness:
Brad Stevens even checked in with Markelle Fultz’s high school counselor - The Boston Globe
bostonglobe.com
11:31 AM · Jun 14, 2017
36 RETWEETS
67 LIKES

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:12 pm

And they used to call this a game????

No more, big business. No wasting picks, especially #1.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:00 pm

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/06/14/markelle-fultz-celtics-lakers-kings-nba-draft-adam-kaufman/

What Is Markelle Fultz Doing?

June 14, 2017 10:47 AM

By Adam Kaufman

BOSTON (CBS) — Scrolling through Twitter in anticipation of the rapidly approaching

June 22 NBA Draft, I came across this:

Follow
Mike Bresnahan ✔ @Mike_Bresnahan
Markelle Fultz will work out for the Lakers on Thursday. No official date yet for Lonzo Ball but there will be a second workout.
8:38 PM - 13 Jun 2017
 300 300 Retweets   429 429 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy

That was a few days after this minor confusion:

Follow
Ailene Voisin ✔ @ailene_voisin
Hearing late tonight that possible overall No.1 draft pick Markelle Fultz is working out for Kings on Sunday. Media availability unclear ...
11:51 PM - 8 Jun 2017
 123 123 Retweets   148 148 likes

Follow
Jason Jones ✔ @mr_jasonjones
I'm told my multiple sources Markelle Fultz will not visit the Kings on Sunday. A visit is possible, but it's not this weekend.
9:43 AM - 9 Jun 2017
 64 64 Retweets   69 69 likes

Follow
Ailene Voisin ✔ @ailene_voisin
Looks like Fultz workout in Sac has been pushed back, closer to draft. But still likely to happen. https://twitter.com/carmichaeldave/status/873174373187805185 …
11:08 AM - 9 Jun 2017
 8 8 Retweets   8 8 likes

Markelle Fultz – the near-consensus projected No. 1 overall pick – recently worked out for the Celtics over a two-day visit to Boston. That’s all he should be doing. Beyond sitting down with the club that holds the top choice, the expected first selection should lock himself in a room until his name is called in Brooklyn.

There are reasons, even if silly, why other top-five projected picks Lonzo Ball of UCLA and Kansas’ Josh Jackson won’t work out for the Green: Ball doesn’t want to be drafted by the Celts due to his (and his dad’s) preference to go second to his hometown Lakers, and Jackson seemingly doesn’t believe he’ll be taken first. Or, the latter may already have a promise from the Lakers or Sixers.

But Fultz’s behavior is just confusing and begs the question as to whether the dynamic offensive standout, who averaged 23.2 points, 5.9 assists, and 5.7 rebounds as a freshman, actually expects to be chosen by the Celtics? Boston has offered the prized pick no assurances and are openly considering trading the selection for a proven NBA star.

It’s understandable that Fultz would want to make a good impression on other potential suitors. But by the same token, when virtually every mock draft and pundit pits you as the best available player atop the draft, reputation should be enough. Workouts – if they go poorly or heaven-forbid lead to injury – can only hurt a can’t-miss player’s case. To that end, ESPN’s Jeff Goodman reported that Fultz didn’t have the best shooting display in his trip to the Hub. Of course, I’d be surprised if he doesn’t receive a second opportunity. Recent Boston top-six picks Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart are among those to have had multiple workouts for Danny Ainge leading up to the draft.

Fultz doesn’t have to agree to another meeting, but it would make sense to give the team with the first pick your full attention.

The Lakers? Magic Johnson would presumably be thrilled if Fultz fell into his lap at No. 2, especially after Ball reportedly showed up to his L.A. workout out of shape. There’s also the LaVar factor, the same guy who’s never balled but just started selling his own autographed trading card anyhow.

The Kings own the Nos. 5 and 10 picks. There’s approximately a zero percent chance of Fultz falling that far and, again, the point guard is a known commodity if they’re fortunate enough to trade into the top three.

There’s literally nothing for Fultz to gain by not just patiently waiting for draft night and hoping his new hat looks good. This would be a good time for his new agent to step in. Boston’s posturing shouldn’t psych him out.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:52 am

Fultz called the workout at the Lakers’ practice facility a “family decision,” adding “Never know where I might land, so I just wanted to see how it is out here.” As for his preference on where he’d like to be drafted, Fultz said, “I would like to go one [to the Celtics], but wherever I land is where I go.” 3 hours ago – via ESPN

bob
MY NOTE:  My one concern is that I'm hearing Fultz talking too much about being drafted #1.  It's good to have goals but where you are drafted isn't the definition of your career.  Maybe I'm reading a bit too much into this.  Still, I like that his preference is the Celtics, I just wish he'd say it was more because he loves the team and the franchise more and not as much because we have the #1 pick.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:58 am

Nothing wrong with covering all your bases. Boston made no guarantee. If you're 19, expect a long productive career, and might not go #1 to Boston, going #2 to LA could be a nice, and profitable, consolation prize. Also a good message to Boston, as in "think about it before you let me go to your rival." Smart decision by Fultz.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:03 am

NYCelt wrote:Nothing wrong with covering all your bases.  Boston made no guarantee.  If you're 19, expect a long productive career, and might not go #1 to Boston, going #2 to LA could be a nice, and profitable, consolation prize.  Also a good message to Boston, as in "think about it before you let me go to your rival."  Smart decision by Fultz.

^^This^^

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:28 am

NYCelt wrote:Nothing wrong with covering all your bases. Boston made no guarantee. If you're 19, expect a long productive career, and might not go #1 to Boston, going #2 to LA could be a nice, and profitable, consolation prize. Also a good message to Boston, as in "think about it before you let me go to your rival." Smart decision by Fultz.

+1

red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:24 pm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/06/markelle_fultz_poses_for_photo.html

Markelle Fultz poses for photos with car that once belonged to Boston Celtics legend Red Auerbach

Updated on June 16, 2017 at 1:16 PM
Posted on June 16, 2017 at 11:55 AM

Markelle Fultz is the possible No. 1 overall pick.
Markelle Fultz is the possible No. 1 overall pick.(AP Photo/Young Kwak)

BY JAY KING

Projected No. 1 overall pick Markelle Fultz posed for a number of photographs Friday morning with a Mercedes his old high school claims once belonged to Boston Celtics legend Red Auerbach.

According to Connor Glowacki, who shared one of the photos on Twitter, Fultz stopped for a few photos with the vehicle before entering DeMatha Catholic High School for a workout. The school wrote on Instagram that Auerbach left the car to his nephew, Ric MacPherson, who graduated from DeMatha in the 60s.

How was the meeting with Fultz set up? Upon learning the top prospect planned to stop by DeMatha, one of the school's employees reached out to MacPherson, still a huge supporter of the school, to alert him of Fultz's visit. By the time Fultz arrived, Glowacki said, MacPherson was waiting at the school with Auerbach's old car. While meeting with Fultz outside, MacPherson, who was close with Auerbach during his lifetime, presented the top prospect with a Celtics pen.

"They chatted for a minute, talked about the car and Red Auerbach," Glowacki said. "Then Fultz went straight to the workout afterward."

One DeMatha Catholic employee said MacPherson's mother was cousins with Red Auerbach's wife, and that Auerbach, during his lifetime, was "like a second father" for MacPherson.

Fultz is widely considered the likely choice for the Celtics at No. 1. Maybe he'll sign his first contract with his new pen.  

Here are a couple of the photos of the guard with Auerbach's old car:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ConnorGlowacki/status/875721403114426368/photo/1
Connor Glowacki @ConnorGlowacki
.@DeMathaCatholic alum @MarkelleF back on campus for workout today leading up to next week's NBA draft.
7:27 AM - 16 Jun 2017
 17 17 Retweets   19 19 likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVZ4FDyFmqI/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:24 pm

So, he sits on the car?  affraid

Back to top Go down