red16russ11
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
14 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Jason Tatum Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Jason Tatum Thread

Post by fierce Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:22 pm

Meanwhile, to give you an idea of how surreal this has all become, a coach from yet another team said that if you asked 10 different clubs what Ainge wanted, you’d get 10 different answers. “We call him the minister of disinformation,” he said. “He’s putting a lot of stuff out there.” 3 hours ago – via Boston Herald
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:23 pm

I think Ainge has something big in the works.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:25 pm

The Vertical ✔ @TheVertical
Knicks have made calls about Kristaps Porzingis, aiming for a top-four pick to get Josh Jackson. - @WojVerticalNBA https://www.facebook.com/TheVerticalWoj/videos/495112134161211/ …
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:37 pm

fierce wrote:The Vertical ✔ @TheVertical
Knicks have made calls about Kristaps Porzingis, aiming for a top-four pick to get Josh Jackson. - @WojVerticalNBA https://www.facebook.com/TheVerticalWoj/videos/495112134161211/ …

Fierce,

Can do!

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:01 pm

1 min ago – via SB Nation
Knicks president Phil Jackson is making calls to teams about a Porzingis trade, according to The Vertical’s Adrian Wojnarowski on Facebook Live. New York is looking to receive a top-4 pick and an established starter in return for the versatile 7-footer. Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Boston and Phoenix hold picks No. 1 through 4, in that order, in Thursday’s NBA Draft.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:17 pm

In today`s NBA, I`m not sure I wouldn`t rather draft a wing and keep him. If Porzingas was a banger; different story. ( dodging brickbats.)
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:43 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:In today`s NBA, I`m not sure I wouldn`t rather draft a wing and keep him. If Porzingas was a banger; different story. ( dodging brickbats.)

With you on that one.

Draft a talented wing and go looking for a banger via FA or trade.

Sure, I think you at least take look at what they want for Porzingis out of curiosity, but I don't think you go too far.  That is, if they're even willing to move him. Seems just as many reports say this is a false story as those that say its genuine.

Might be a different story if Porzingis had a few seasons under his belt to prove a consistent level of play.

Last edited by NYCelt on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:47 pm

LA really needs a PG. Philly has too many bigs and needs a PG. We can deal a 3 and a starter and have Zingus. Go for it Danny. He is only 21 freaking years old! 7'3", 240#, .357% from 3, .493 from 2, .786 from the line, 7.2 rb, 2.0 blk, 18.1 points...What is there to talk about?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:52 pm

worcester wrote:LA really needs a PG. Philly has too many bigs and needs a PG. We can deal a 3 and a starter and have Zingus. Go for it Danny. He is only 21 freaking years old! 7'3", 240#, .357% from 3, .493 from 2, .786 from the line, 7.2 rb, 2.0 blk, 18.1 points...What is there to talk about?

True.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Two question, does he play any D? How is his speed?

Actually Blake has a much better simple rating from 82games.com = +11.3 versus +1.6
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:08 pm

worcester wrote:Two question, does he play any D? How is his speed?

Actually Blake has a much better simple rating from 82games.com = +11.3 versus +1.6

I'd much rather draft Tatum and go after Griffin as a FA.  We'd have to lose several contracts to free up money, but that's OK by me.

Once again, however, Danny Ainge hasn't called for my opinion.  I like to think of it as an annual tradition.  Sounds so much better than saying he doesn't know who I am and wouldn't really care what I think...
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:18 pm

JAYSON TATUM UNDERSTANDS WHAT CELTICS ROLE WILL BE IF TAKEN NO. 3

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/jayson-tatum-understands-what-boston-celtics-role-will-be-if-taken-no-3-nba-draft?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo&yptr=yahoo&ref=yfp

BOSTON – Jayson Tatum has no promise that he’ll be the Boston Celtics’ pick at No. 3.

But the 6-foot-9 forward has a pretty good idea of where he would be used … everywhere it seems.

One of the first things he discussed with the Celtics during his workout with Boston was how he would fit in with their system.

“He (Celtics head coach Brad Stevens) said that guys my size, my position, I’m able to get open shots and defend the 1 (point guard) through the 4 (power forward), it’s hard not to play those guys,” Tatum told reporters on Wednesday. “That’s how he looks at using me if they were to draft me.”

And there’s no guarantee that will happen, although the fact that his stiffest competition for being Boston’s pick at No. 3, Josh Jackson, did not work out for the Celtics.

Jackson told reporters on Wednesday that he had spoken with Stevens and some of the team’s assistant coaches, but had yet to talk with president of basketball operations Danny Ainge – the man who will decide who the Celtics select at No. 3.

From the beginning of this draft process, Tatum was viewed as a top-6 player who isn’t projected to go any higher than No. 3 overall.

Teams love his versatility as a scorer as well as his basketball smarts which have helped him compensate for not being quite as explosive or as athletic as some other players in this draft but more than capable of potentially making a significant impact.

While Stevens’ comments are certainly encouraging words for a young prospect, that doesn’t change the fact that getting minutes as a rookie on a team that’s coming off a trip to the Conference finals with most of their core returning, won’t be easy.

“I feel you have that approach to whatever team takes you,” Tatum said. “Nothing is guaranteed. I feel like no matter who you play for, you have to earn your spot. It shouldn’t matter who picks you.”

But he acknowledges that going to a team like Boston where the challenge for minutes early on will be greater than it will be for most lottery picks, is something that has crossed his mind.

“I definitely thought about it,” Tatum said. “For me, I’m happy to be going into the NBA. I guess I’ll think about that more after I see what team I’m picked by.”

In his lone season at Duke, the 19-year-old Tatum averaged 16.8 points, 7.3 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.3 steals with 1.1 blocks per game.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:06 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/josh-jackson-refuses-workout-boston-knicks-trade-article-1.3267142

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:43 pm

Worcester,

Exactly right! What is the hold up on making this trade work immediately?

Not even close to which guy I would take if it is between Porzingis and Griffin.  Porzingis will out score Griffin once he gets out of the stupid triangle offense, he will out rebound Griffin, he plays at least as good defense as Griffin and has been much more available to play every day than Griffin.  Btw, he is also much cheaper for the next few years, will only cost one of Crowder or Bradley and the 3rd round pick (Jackson).

Prozingis will out perform Jackson (or any other guy the Cs will pick with the third pick) for at least the next two years as he is already a fairly well proven NBA player who will only get better for at least the next five years working with Stevens and his staff.

I would even add in another of the Cs many non Nets and Lakers #1 picks in the next two years if the Knicks would toss O'Quinn into the deal.

If there is nothing more to the Knicks reported needs, I cannot believe that Ainge has not done this trade yesterday.  There has to be more attached-like having to take Noah.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:22 am

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/stevens-boston-celtics-value-jayson-tatums-versatility?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

BRAD STEVENS, CELTICS VALUE JAYSON TATUM'S VERSATILITY

By A. Sherrod Blakely

June 22, 2017 10:54 PM

BOSTON – When it comes to NBA workouts, they typically account for a small portion of what goes into the decision for teams to select one player over another.

But when it came to Jayson Tatum, his workout for the Celtics earlier this week cemented Boston’s decision to select Tatum with the No. 3 overall pick Thursday night.

“He’s a really skilled player, really talented scorer,” coach Brad Stevens told a pool reporter on Thursday during the NBA draft. “Great kid, great work ethic. We’re excited to have him aboard.”

Celtics president Rich Gotham said that Tatum has been a favorite of Danny Ainge, the team’s president of basketball operations, for several months.

Tatum worked out for Ainge and the Celtics’ front office out West earlier this month, and did a second workout for Boston on Monday in Waltham, Mass., in front of Stevens and his assistant coaches.

Stevens was impressed with Tatum’s consistency.

“He never changed his expression,” Stevens said. “Never changed his expression, went at a high tempo, but when he missed a shot he never showed anything but resolve to make the next one.”

And the workout came with Tatum feeling less than his usual self, something the Celtics didn't learn about until after it was over.

Stevens said there wasn’t anything about Tatum’s workout that led him to believe he was anything less than at full strength.

“You could tell afterward; he was hurting a little bit afterwards,” Stevens said. “He got in Sunday night, got in late, worked out early Monday morning so he could get to New York (for the draft ceremonies).”

And while there are questions as to where he’ll play for the Celtics, Stevens sees that as one of the 6-foot-8 forward’s greatest strengths.

“The biggest thing is that we really value his versatility,” Stevens said. “A couple years ago, I talked about how we were thin on guys that could play a number of different positions, when you talk about, really, two (shooting guard), three (small forward), four (power forward). Now we’re starting to really . . . we’ve got a lot of positionless players that can dribble, pass, and shoot. That’s a good thing.”

bob
MY NOTE:  I'm happy with this pick (would have been happier if it got us Porzingis, but...) but now the search must be for bigs.  I know that Danny realizes we need bigs but he is so small-ball oriented that sometimes I wonder just how thin thin can be.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:40 am

CSN MID-ATLANTIC: Wizards' Beal tells Tatum 'I can't like you now'
Bradley Beal, still stinging from the Wizards' playoff loss to the arch-rival Celtics, welcomes fellow St. Louis native Jayson Tatum to the NBA with a mixed message.

bob
MY NOTE: Sucks to be you, huh Bradley? LOL.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:09 am

The draft is over and no bigs. What do we know? Barring July fireworks, we stay the course and trust the process of turning every opportunity into increased leverage. I believe Danny when he sez he wanted Tatum and would have taken him #1. So the smart thing to do is trade down two spots get another first round pick, then select the guy you wanted.

Right now our bigs are Horford, Zizic, Yabusele, Thies, Semi and maybe a returning KO. That's four rookies and 3 need to play. Bigs are Danny's true weakness.

July 1 will be here next week. Options that most of us considered (like Butler) are now off the table. What if Danny doesn't sign a FA this year and we go with what we got?

I don't want to settle for making the ECF with home court.

ps Right now it looks like we could turn out a great lineup with every one 6'7" to 6'8" Whatever thats worth. lol
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:30 am

mulcogiseng wrote:The draft is over and no bigs. What do we know? Barring July fireworks, we stay the course and trust the process of turning every opportunity into increased leverage. I believe Danny when he sez he wanted Tatum and would have taken him #1. So the smart thing to do is trade down two spots get another first round pick, then select the guy you wanted.

Right now our bigs are Horford, Zizic, Yabusele, Thies, Semi and maybe a returning KO. That's four rookies and 3 need to play. Bigs are Danny's true weakness.

July 1 will be here next week. Options that most of us considered (like Butler) are now off the table. What if Danny doesn't sign a FA this year and we go with what we got?

I don't want to settle for making the ECF with home court.

ps  Right now it looks like we could turn out a great lineup with every one 6'7" to 6'8" Whatever thats worth. lol

mulcogi,

Yabusele may not be with the team next year. Danny said, in his post-draft press conference last night, that that was still being decided.

Theis isn't a big, he is a swing. 6'9", 240#. That's Amir's size but Amir was undersized for what we needed, which was to move Al to PF.

Semi is 6'7". Another NOT big.

My point? Our shortage of bigs is even worse than you said, and that's pretty bad.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:36 am

Blake, Serge, JaMychal Green, James Johnson

Those are my four choices for free agent (restricted or otherwise) bigs

Last edited by red16russ11 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:14 pm

Oh well...I was optimistic for a couple of minutes. lol  But u r right. We don't have the bigs. If Yabusele isn't here then he has to make a move of some kind. We've gotten a little bigger but not where we needed to be. IDIT IDIT IDIT Let's hope Zizic is ready

(I'm just a little taller than IT, they all look BIG to me lol)
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 16 minutes ago
Stevens on summer league for Tatum: “Next week will be huge. It’ll be a good 3 day mini camp to get a pulse on how we play.” #Celtics
reply retweet like

about 17 minutes ago
Add Danny Ainge to the list of scouts noticing Tatum’s inside hand layups as a sign he needs to develop his left hand. #Celtics
reply retweet like
MY NOTE:  Same could be said about IT's right hand, and he seems to have done well.

Bill Doyle @BillDoyle15
about 17 minutes ago
Danny Ainge said Jayson Tatum needs to work on his left hand, but he already has good array of moves.
reply retweet like

A. Sherrod Blakely @SherrodbCSN
about 18 minutes ago
"He fits not only how we play, but how we want to be." - @Celtics Brad Stevens on Jayson Tatum. #Celticstalk
reply retweet like

about 22 minutes ago
Tatum: “I’m honored & thankful for the Celtics org. & for being drafted by the best franchise in NBA history.” #Celtics
reply retweet like

Gary Washburn @GwashburnGlobe
about 23 minutes ago
Jayson Tatum will wear #11 for the #Celtics pic.twitter.com/awGtEyhMtF
reply retweet like

The Jason Tatum Thread - Page 2 DDBLLGTUQAEeAzm

Brian Robb @CelticsHub
about 2 hours ago
Danny Ainge to @FredToucher on whether next year's BKN pick is untouchable: "No. Nothing is untouchable."
reply retweet like
MY NOTE:   Shocked  Rolling Eyes

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:51 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:48 pm

A. Sherrod Blakely @SherrodbCSN
about 23 minutes ago
Ainge said @Jayson Tatum workouts among the best by any shooter in this draft, and "one of the best shooters we've had in here for any draft."
reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  I don't know if I believe Danny completely, Danny has been known to obfuscate when it comes to players and Tatum is a player now and not just a pre-deaft prospect, but I read somewhere that Tatum hit 81 out of a 100 corner 3s at the first workout in California.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by red16russ11 Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:29 pm

#11 - just like Charlie Scott. Another very good offensive player
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:44 pm

Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
about 16 minutes ago
Jaylen Brown helps out the Celtics' marketing dept as he comes up with a name for his union with Jayson Tatum based in their jersey numbers.

Jaylen Brown @FCHWPO

7/11 get buckets 24 hours
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next