Rmbone
ginoc
dboss
Improbulus
bobheckler
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Philly, Utah Summer League - Page 2 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Philly, Utah Summer League

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:21 pm

beat wrote:
ginoc wrote:Just love this Brown quote:
Jaylen: "Last year my job was to play defense...and that’s what I did... This team, it’s a summer league team, my job is to be a playmaker"
From someone that got exactly 0 assists.

A concern I have going forward and I realize it's only 1 summer game against summer opponents, our ball movement or should I say lack thereof.  Only a dozen assists.  

Seemed a bit to much one on one way to often and more times than not a forced shot.  

Again it's only one summer league game that featured a lot of players we will not see again come fall.

beat

beat,

Zero assists and 7 TOs.

He was a force in the game last night, but that quote probably should have been thought through more clearly before he said it.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post Game Thread - vs Philly, Utah Summer League - Page 2 Empty Re: Post Game Thread - vs Philly, Utah Summer League

Post by Rmbone Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:26 pm

Playmaker means dribble-generated offense, whether for the player or for his teammates. He made a ton of plays, he just didn't need others to finish them for him.

Rmbone

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:43 pm

Rmbone wrote:Playmaker means dribble-generated offense, whether for the player or for his teammates. He made a ton of plays, he just didn't need others to finish them for him.

At times he was still moving too fast which led to errors but he was the best player in the gym. The lack of assists did not bother me. He controlled the glass and shot exceptionally well from behind the arc.

I anticipate a huge 2nd year jump from him.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:31 pm

Rmbone wrote:Playmaker means dribble-generated offense, whether for the player or for his teammates. He made a ton of plays, he just didn't need others to finish them for him.

and where will that get him come this fall?

NOWHERE

Loved the effort and I realize he can't make shots for others but I saw very few passes to set up good shots for them to begin with. A bit too much dribble and before long you got for more spectators all wearing the same color shirts.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:35 pm

bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:

Cowens,

Just to give you goosebumps, check out about 6:20 of this film.  It's after the game, after Tatum has his first post-game NBA interview.  He and Jaylen Brown get down and do an old-school Paul Pierce roll of the dice.

Thought you'd like that.  :-)

bob

Thanks Bob, saw that didn't even realise the youngsters were giving homage to Paul Pierce, imagine if Pierce had an equal wing stud with ability like his to play with all those years? Actually he did, too bad we got rid of Joe Johnson way too early.

On Jayson Tatum, just got a call from a hoop junkie friend, he couldn't believe how great Tatum looked, Tatum to me also reminds me of Kevin Durant, has a lot more length than Pierce, he looks a lot closer to 6'9" to me and while he has a lot of in your face Pierce iso moves, he also has a smoothness and silkiness to his game that reminds me of Durant. After just seeing these 2 young studs playing together once, I totally hope we do not sign Hayward, seeing more of them is for the betterment of the team.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:39 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
bobheckler wrote:
gyso wrote:

Cowens,

Just to give you goosebumps, check out about 6:20 of this film.  It's after the game, after Tatum has his first post-game NBA interview.  He and Jaylen Brown get down and do an old-school Paul Pierce roll of the dice.

Thought you'd like that.  :-)

bob

Thanks Bob, saw that didn't even realise the youngsters were giving homage to Paul Pierce, imagine if Pierce had an equal wing stud with ability like his to play with all those years? Actually he did, too bad we got rid of Joe Johnson way too early.

On Jayson Tatum, just got a call from a hoop junkie friend, he couldn't believe how great Tatum looked, Tatum to me also reminds me of Kevin Durant, has a lot more length than Pierce, he looks a lot closer to 6'9" to me and while he has a lot of in your face Pierce iso moves, he also has a smoothness and silkiness to his game that reminds me of Durant. After just seeing these 2 young studs playing together once, I totally hope we do not sign Hayward, seeing more of them is for the betterment of the team.

Cow,

I don't know if they were doing it on purpose for Pierce. They might have seen it watching Celtic games.

As far as signing Hayward goes, it all depends upon when you want to win. If you want a chance at winning now (or soon), you sign Hayward or some other high profile player. If you want to wait until LBJ is gone and KD and Curry are in their 30's, then you don't and just play these two. Young teams do not win championships. It's the teams with the grizzled veterans with the thousand yard stares that do.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:50 pm

beat wrote:

NOWHERE

Loved the effort and I realize he can't make shots for others but I saw very few passes to set up good shots for them to begin with. A bit too much dribble and before long you got for more spectators all wearing the same color shirts.

beat

Beat

Would not be concerned about a summer league game. I am certain Brown understands ball movement. His one on one skills were on display.

Even with the horrible assist to turnover ratio his production was pretty impressive. No one could keep him from getting to the rim ir beat him on the glass.

When he watches film he will see what he needs to do better.

Dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:22 pm

Summer league basketball - don't be fooled by the gaudy stats - wait and see how they translate during the regular nba season.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:24 pm

dboss wrote:
beat wrote:

NOWHERE

beat

Beat

Would not be concerned about a summer league game.  I am certain Brown understands ball movement.  His one on one skills were on display.  

Even with the horrible assist to turnover ratio his production was pretty impressive.  No one could keep him from getting to the rim ir beat him on the glass.

When he watches film he will see what he needs to do better.

Dboss

as I pointed out MANY times in BOTH posts ALSO nothing to wet our pants about either

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:25 pm

swish wrote:Summer league basketball - don't be fooled by the gaudy stats - wait and see how they translate during the regular nba season.

swish

swish,

Summer league is about seeing who cannot play, not so much about who can. It's about weeding out the bubble players.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:28 pm

bobheckler wrote:
swish wrote:Summer league basketball - don't be fooled by the gaudy stats - wait and see how they translate during the regular nba season.

swish

swish,

Summer league is about seeing who cannot play, not so much about who can.  It's about weeding out the bubble players.

bob

That said wonder why Brown is even playing. Perhaps he just wants too. But does playing against this competition help him much?

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:33 pm

beat wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

swish

swish,

Summer league is about seeing who cannot play, not so much about who can.  It's about weeding out the bubble players.

bob

That said wonder why Brown is even playing.  Perhaps he just wants too.  But does playing against this competition help him much?  

beat

beat,

According to Danny, Jaylen walked into his office and told them he wanted to play in summer league.  According to Danny, Jaylen said he wanted to send a message to them that he is ready "now" and not down the line.

Yesterday he said he wanted everybody to see all the work he had put in, unseen.

So, it was absolutely, positively his idea.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:38 pm

bobheckler wrote:

swish

swish,

bob

bob

Tell that to the fans that go bonkers over the great stats that some players put up during the summer league and spring training in baseball as well.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:43 pm

swish wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

swish

swish,

bob

bob

Tell that to the fans that go bonkers over the great stats that some players put up during the summer league and spring training in baseball as well.

swish

swish,

I believe I just did.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:10 pm

Jaylen knows there is order to the regular system, he's not the primary option or even second, if he demands the ball and goes off, they might tell him no. He wanted to show them what he can do.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Just got to love Jaylen's attitude! Sure, he is clearly better than the other players so far, so let him get a full head of steam being "the man". this summer. He is still going to have to earn his minutes this fall. He will be playing against much better players in November. but dadgummit, I saw some glimmer.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:25 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:Just got to love Jaylen's attitude!  Sure, he is clearly better than the other players so far, so let him get a full head of steam being "the man". this summer. He is still going to have to earn his minutes this fall. He will be playing against much better players in November. but dadgummit, I saw some glimmer.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:25 am

Hard to learn much from summer league.

Tatum, Brown and Fultz all looked good, however.

From what you could safely judge;

Brown looked like a soon-to-be second year player who has been building his game very nicely.

Fultz and Tatum showed why they were such coveted picks.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2