wideclyde
sinus007
beat
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

The Brooklyn Pick Empty The Brooklyn Pick

Post by bobheckler Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:49 am

It belongs to Cleveland now so we don't want Brooklyn to lose anymore, we want them to win so their pick gets worse and worse.

Brooklyn beat Cleveland the other night with half their starters out.  As of 10/25 the Nets are 3-2 and they play the hapless Knicks next.

It's been a while, if ever, since we rooted for the Brooklyn Nets to win but that's what this thread is for.  It's where we keep track of how good/bad the Kyrie Irving trade was.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

The Brooklyn Pick Empty Re: The Brooklyn Pick

Post by beat Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:24 am

Watched the end of that game last eve.  Nets played well and spirited. Blew a 9 point lead late but they had 2 point lead with under 10 seconds.  Bron drove in the lane was stripped but they touched him so he goes to the line for 2 shots to tie it.  6 seconds to go.  He misses the first and intentionally (but he almost accidentally made it) Nets got the rebound made a couple more foul shots and won the game.  

They put up a stat after.  With under 15 seconds left and down by 1 or 2 points Bron was 14 for 25 from the stripe.

Mr Clutch...... not quite.

Philly also grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory. Up 8 with possession and 90 seconds to go.  Win % was 98%. And they found that 2%. 

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:38 am

Hi,
Frankly, I don't care about that BKN pick. It's not ours. But I'm very much rooting against LAL (sorry, TJ) since that pick is ours.
As for the last night game, BKN looked like a bottom feeder team. But Cle was worse. They reverted to Lebron trying to be in 5 different places at the same time, the other 4 players standing and trying to think of at least one reason to be on the floor. Thankfully, it's their problem.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:44 am

As mentioned in another thread, the Brooklyn pick is still important to Celtics until it is going to be 100% above the 6th spot.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:27 pm

I think the Celts already won in the Kyrie Irving trade, regardless of where the Brooklyn pick lands.

Kyrie Irving is a superstar.

That's the point of wanting a lottery pick, to get a superstar.

Worst case scenario is it ends up being a fair trade.

But right now, Isaiah Thomas is damaged goods.
It's not like the Celts swapped a healthy IT and the Brooklyn pick for Kyrie.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:48 pm

bobheckler wrote:It belongs to Cleveland now so we don't want Brooklyn to lose anymore, we want them to win so their pick gets worse and worse.

Brooklyn beat Cleveland the other night with half their starters out.  As of 10/25 the Nets are 3-2 and they play the hapless Knicks next.

It's been a while, if ever, since we rooted for the Brooklyn Nets to win but that's what this thread is for.  It's where we keep track of how good/bad the Kyrie Irving trade was.

bob

Bob

As you know I referred to the Brooklyn pick as our last Golden Egg. Danny traded the last Golden Egg because he acquired another Golden Egg that is likely to be more Golden. As a matter of fact Danny may have fleeced Cleveland because they had the hots for the Brooklyn pick even though the LAL may be of more value.

With regards to the good/bad of the Irving trade as long as Kyrie continues to mesh into the system there should be no second guessing what we have here. Kyrie will become a great player for Boston. IT is injured and wanted a brinks truck full of money. I do not miss Jae Crowder. Zizic was never here and Baynes has made me not even think about him. The play of Jaylen Brown more than makes up for one of my favorite players in Bradley. Morris will be playing soon and out team will be better for it.

In the end it is not a good/bad tracking of the Brooklyn pick that is relevant. It is the entire strategy that Danny has executed to make the Celtics a championship level team and competitive over a longer period of time.

My focus is on the LAL pick. I watched both the Nets/Cavs and Lakers/Wizards last night. Lebron cried all night and Wall and company got beat in OT.

I had mixed emotions in the LA game because as much as I want them to lose, the Wizards are in the east and are one of the main competitors against Boston. The Wizards were a sub-par road team last year.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:59 pm

I think we'll get by with LAL beating a few east coast rivals while getting beat consistently out west.

If Brooklyn plays better ball this season, the pick we traded for Kyrie will lose value. They just beat Cleveland and can probably be more competitive ovverall.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:06 pm

A few more games like last night and Cleveland will be wondering how they put so much importance on that pick. Too bad Jeremy Lin went down, he was a big piece of their offense. They still have some competitive guys on that team so they may shock a few other teams who take them lightly
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:51 pm

Newsweek

The 2017 Nets Are the Cavaliers’ Worst Nightmare—and LeBron James’ Ticket Out of Cleveland

Teddy Cutler, Thu, Oct 26 5:15 AM EDT

Of all the things the Cleveland Cavaliers didn’t need, or want, to think about at the start of the 2017 NBA season, the Brooklyn Nets being good looked like one of the least pertinent. Every reasoned, reasonable basketball sage expected the Nets to be somewhere close to propping up the Eastern Conference even before they lost Jeremy Lin to a season-ending knee injury.

But the start of the 2017 NBA season has been decidedly odd. The Golden State Warriors have looked fallible, even when they have been winning—a wild game against the Raptors on Wednesday night was a case in point. The Portland Trail Blazers have been setting scoring records, the Clippers don’t seem to be missing Chris Paul, and the Rockets are better, statistically, when Paul isn’t on the court. Giannis Antetokounmpo, meanwhile, looks like the future of the pro game.

Oh, and the Nets are 3-2—the same record as the Cavaliers. Their third win came on Wednesday night at Barclays Center, against the Cavaliers, 112-107—secured without D’Angelo Russell, who had 30 points and five assists in the Nets’ season-opening loss to the Indiana Pacers following his trade from the Lakers over the summer. In the absence of Derrick Rose and Dwyane Wade, LeBron James was forced to do too much on his own to try and drag the Cavaliers to a win. The 32-year-old logged 41 minutes on Wednesday, with 29 points, ten rebounds and 13 assists. As he did against the Chicago Bulls the previous night, James started at point guard against the Nets. Against the Bulls James, with the help of Kevin Love, was able to dig the Cavaliers out of a hole. But even this M.V.P.-caliber version of James can’t be expected to haul a team along by himself every night.

Not to mention that the Nets look far sturdier than last season’s iteration. "We're running around here worrying about getting the Brooklyn pick, they may want our pick," Tyronn Lue said after the game in quotes reported by CBS—in jest, to ease the tension brought about by the Cavaliers’ uneven start to the season, but one that hinted at tension of a different texture lying beneath the surface of this Cavaliers team. The worse the Nets do—the closer to the basement of the Eastern Conference they dwell—the better the Isaiah Thomas-Kyrie Irving blockbuster trade looks for the Cavaliers who received the Nets' first-round pick from Boston in that deal. And the more likely, perhaps, James is to stay and nurture one of the 2018 draft’s top picks.

Right now, that trade doesn’t look very good for the Cavaliers. Thomas remains sidelined, more prominent on television screens in ‘Law and Order’ than he is on a basketball court. The Nets are throwing flies in the ointment by being better than anyone but the Nets thought they would be. And James is having to carry an entire franchise on his shoulders. There have been brighter days in Cleveland—though there’s time enough, of course, for the dark clouds to clear.

Last edited by steve3344 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:59 pm

Imagine if Jeremy Lin didn't get hurt and out for the season????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:10 pm

they are probably better off without Lin...I have never been impressed to be honest.....NBA back up to me.

they are better off playing Russell to see what they have with him over Lin, IMO.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:05 pm

Brooklyn still isn't very good at playing team basketball. I was watching that game and I promise you that the Nets did everything necessary to lose that game but the Cavs still mucked up their execution at the end against a team of players going isolation every time on offense.

Cavs are not looking too impressive, and I doubt IT can fix that. Lebron looks slower, too.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down