+5
Shamrock1000
kdp59
bobheckler
red16russ11
dboss
9 posters

Go down

Lakers @ Celtics Game #12 Pregame Analysis Empty Lakers @ Celtics Game #12 Pregame Analysis

Post by dboss Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:58 am

The Lakers tip off against the Celtics tonight in what will be the start of a 4 game road trip for LA.  Boston returned from a very successful road swing winning all 3 games and for the year they sport an impressive 6-1 record on the road.  LA has only played 3 road games and their record is 1-2. Winning on the road is a true measuring stick for how good a team really is.  Last year LA was putrid on the road with a 9-32 record.

The Celtics will be looking for their 10th straight win.  The Celtics are a superior team to the Lakers but that does not mean anything as we found out in the grind it out Hawks game.

The Lakers are a below average defensive team and are just inside the negative in point differential (106.5 PF and 107.3 PA)  They rebound the ball well at 46.1 Per game and they like to run.  Magic has talked about an uptempo pace for this team.  He wants to see an exciting end to end contest.  

The most outstanding thing about this team is fast break points where they are 2nd in the league behind juggernaut Golden State.  They average 15.9 fast break points per game however that number drops to 12.7 on the road.  Since they have only played 3 road games that statistic may be meaningless.  

Look for LA to attempt to run Boston off the court.  They average 87.6 FGA per game.

Fast break basketball is the good thing for this team but the negatives cannot be overlooked.  In an age where the 3 point shot has become an integral weapon of choice, LA has struggled at .314%.  They are also a very poor free throw shooting team at .727%

The best 3 point shooter on the team is the Android Lopez however the further away from the basket the less effective he is as a low post scorer and rebonder.

We are going to get to see Lonzo Ball and the kid Kuzma who has been very impressive.  Both Kuzma and Randle will need to make up for the loss of Larry Nance Jr who broke his hand and will be out for at least one month.  Nance was the team's leading rebounder and arguably their best post defender.

Keys to the game.

A lot of teams do not want to run with LA.  Fortunately Boston can and will match them step for step.  Boston will need to be mindful of the home run ball because Lonzo has the skill to make pin point passes from one end to the other.

Boston has been the #1 defensive team in the NBA because they play as a single unit with many interchangeable parts and our depth at wing is significant.  The Celtics need to pressure Ball all game long to limit his effectiveness.

Boston is a gang rebounding team as are the Lakers.  Everyone bangs the glass so look for them to continue doing that.

Matchups favor the Celtics because LA has no one who can check Kyrie.  With the Android playing outside keeping LA out of the paint by defending dribble penetration should stymie their offense.

The Celtics need to move the ball on offense but that is most effective when players are moving at the same time.
Boston needs to make their foul shots.

I expect to see Morris in the lineup because Baynes cannot defend Lopez on the perimeter.  

Jason Tatum's playing time needs to be increased.  Brad has been spelling him early and relying on him to anchor the second unit.

Our bench needs to beat up on their bench.

Teams that like to run do not like to be run on.  Boston should get up and down and they should be able to beat LA with Horford out pacing Lopez.

The Celtics should win this game.

dboss
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Lakers @ Celtics Game #12 Pregame Analysis Empty Re: Lakers @ Celtics Game #12 Pregame Analysis

Post by red16russ11 Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Al is out with a concussion
red16russ11
red16russ11

Back to top Go down

Lakers @ Celtics Game #12 Pregame Analysis Empty Re: Lakers @ Celtics Game #12 Pregame Analysis

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:39 pm

red16russ11 wrote:Al is out with a concussion

The concussion, or at least the justification for the concussion protocols, was the shot to the head by Bazemore's upper arm and elbow.

Which was NOT called a flagrant foul.  Hit to the head with the upper arm and elbow, common foul.

The refs call so many bullshit fouls, they call flagrants because one player glares at another, but Horford goes down from a blow to the head and no flagrant.

Evil or Very Mad

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:53 pm

oh oooo...Horford not playing.

not good....we'll see what type of depth we have I guess
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:54 pm

kdp59 wrote:oh oooo...Horford not playing.

Well that stinks.  Maybe Theis or Baynes gets the start.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:17 pm

dboss wrote:
kdp59 wrote:oh oooo...Horford not playing.

Well that stinks.  Maybe Theis or Baynes gets the start.

Dboss,

I would expect Baynes because Lopez is 260+

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Great write up Dboss. You should do more of these.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:59 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:Great write up Dboss. You should do more of these.

Rock

Now that I am retired I may have more time to do them.

Bob

You are correct that Baynes probably makes more sense than Theis but keep in mind that Lopez has turned into a midrange and long distance shooter. Baynes will be pulled away from the paint and I have yet to see him effectively defend on the perimeter.

I suggest starting Theis because he can run the high Pick and Roll and try to emulate more of the things that Al does.

In either case the Celtics depth or lack thereof at the 5 will be tested tonight.

Also look for small lineups from Boston. I expect Yabusele to play as well.

This will be an interesting game with no Horford.

dboss

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:35 pm

I think Semi Ojeleye will be the one to get more minutes and not so much Yabusele.

Semi O is ready to go!!!

Lakers @ Celtics Game #12 Pregame Analysis Logo_f11
gyso
gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:38 pm

Lakers @ Celtics Game #12 Pregame Analysis DOIqniLW0AA11Pu

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:41 pm

It sucks to not have Horford. But, next man up. It won't be easy but we should still be able to handle our business.

This is good for Semi; he'll get more minutes. Theis will also fit into the rotation.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:53 pm

Tough test not having Horford.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:37 pm

gyso wrote:I think Semi Ojeleye will be the one to get more minutes and not so much Yabusele.

Semi O is ready to go!!!

Agree.

Brad Stevens likes Ojeleye's defense.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:38 pm

KyleCleric wrote:Tough test not having Horford.

If we're facing the Warriors without Horford then that's a tough test.

But the Lakers?

HAHA
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down