Boston Celtics Daniel Theis finds new ‘sweet spot’ from 3, ’that’s big for us’

2 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics Daniel Theis finds new ‘sweet spot’ from 3, ’that’s big for us’ Empty Boston Celtics Daniel Theis finds new ‘sweet spot’ from 3, ’that’s big for us’

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:47 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/08/boston-celtics-daniel-theis-finds-new-sweet-spot-from-3-thats-big-for-us.html

Boston Celtics Daniel Theis finds new ‘sweet spot’ from 3, ’that’s big for us’

Updated Aug 08, 2020; Posted Aug 08, 2020

Boston Celtics Daniel Theis finds new ‘sweet spot’ from 3, ’that’s big for us’ ZSBHF5YRVJDU5KDRQOU3NF5VFQ
Boston Celtics' Jayson Tatum (0) celebrates his three-pointer with Daniel Theis (27) during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Toronto Raptors Friday, Aug. 7, 2020 in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. (AP Photo/Ashley Landis, Pool)AP

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

There’s a formula to Daniel Theis’ 3-point attempts.

He sets a pick for a Boston Celtics teammate, reads the coverage, and, when appropriate, pops out for an above-the-break attempt. That is basically how it’s gone 77 different times this season.

Against the Toronto Raptors, however, Theis found himself in the corner. Coming into the game, Theis had only taken 14 corner 3′s, and he had made just 3.

In less than 40 seconds, he nearly doubled that number, hitting a pair from the right corner and helping the Celtics start to pull away.

“I had my sweet spot in the corner today,” Theis said after the win. “I don’t think I’ve taken many 3s from the corner at all. It’s good to see I can make some corner 3s too, so coach knows he can put me in a corner to make some open shots.”

The corner 3 could add a new wrinkle, allowing the Celtics to play pick and roll with different combinations at the top of the key while Theis spaces the floor.

“I think it’s important he’s a threat. He balances it really well,” Brad Stevens said. “He doesn’t chuck all night. He picks and chooses the right ones he is more than capable of making it but he also knows when to flip it go a guard that is behind him and the guard ends up getting the shot because no one is on Theis.”

Theis thrives on this Celtics team because of just that. He doesn’t need the ball nor does he need much of the credit. He understands who he is and what role he plays. However, he may find himself open more often as teams double off him to stop one of the more potent scoring Celtics. When Theis finds himself open, corner or not, he has to make those shots.

“That’s big for us. We encourage Theis any time he’s open, any time he has a look to shoot it,” Jayson Tatum said after the game. “We believe in him, and it just makes us that much more dynamic when we have five guys out there who can shoot beyond the arc. When he’s knocking it down, it makes us harder to guard.”

Theis may have claimed the role of most indispensable Celtic from Al Horford. He is by no means the best player on the team, but the Celtics have so many dynamic wings that when one goes down, the others can collectively step up to make up for that loss.

There is no other Theis on this roster. His defensive continuity with this team has been evidence since the season began, and the Celtics don’t have any other bigs who can stretch the floor like him, especially if he can play his usual defense while dropping deep bombs from different spots.

“It’s very important,” Theis said. “Especially a team like Toronto or Milwaukee, they pack in the paint so much on guards, get so much attention on the drives, so I’ve gotta space the court. Sometimes, like today in the corner, just shoot it. My team trusts me and I’ve gotta knock down the shots.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics Daniel Theis finds new ‘sweet spot’ from 3, ’that’s big for us’ Empty Re: Boston Celtics Daniel Theis finds new ‘sweet spot’ from 3, ’that’s big for us’

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:07 pm

Ojele hit a few shots too. He's starting to attack the rim, cut without the ball, and add a little diversity in his game. I would be inclined to give him Grant Williams minutes in the playoffs.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics Daniel Theis finds new ‘sweet spot’ from 3, ’that’s big for us’ Empty Re: Boston Celtics Daniel Theis finds new ‘sweet spot’ from 3, ’that’s big for us’

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:09 pm

The big thing to me , though, is the emergence of MW III. He couldmake a huge difference spelling DT.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down