Kyrie Irving headed for second opinion on injured knee

5 posters

Go down

Kyrie Irving headed for second opinion on injured knee Empty Kyrie Irving headed for second opinion on injured knee

Post by 112288 Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:25 am

Kyrie Irving headed for second opinion on injured knee

WEEI Josue Pavon March 20, 2018 - 10:24 pm

While the injuries reports continue to pile up for the Celtics throughout the past week, the biggest bombshell broke Tuesday afternoon in regards to Kyrie Irving's knee.

After a report was released that Irving's knee wasn't getting any better, many speculated that the All-Star point guard will need surgery -- which at this point of the season, would ultimately end his year. Celtics coach Brad Stevens spoke to reporters Tuesday evening before facing the Thunder at TD Garden.

"Kyrie, from everything that I was told last, he is probably not going to be on the trip," Stevens said. "Same thing that we've been talking about. That knee has been sore but he's worked really hard to manage it throughout the entire season and I think he's had some pretty good days recently. I'm encouraged by it, you know, in the big picture."

Stevens, who didn't completely rule out Irving for the entire duration of the four-game road trip, says his guard will seek a second opinion.

"He's gonna get a second opinion -- which is why he probably won't go on the trip and I think that's smart of him," Stevens explained. "But I haven't talked to him yet since that decision was made and I haven't talked to Danny [Ainge] or our staff about it."

Stevens was adamant in saying that Irving is sitting out because of soreness and that there isn't any structural damage that he knows about.

"He's out because of knee soreness not because we're choosing to rest him," Stevens stated. "That's the bottom line. So I don't want to say that one way or another. We've talked about it. We want him to feel 110 percent, he wants to feel 110 percent.

"Obviously, we were fortunate that we created a cushion early on in the year as far as playoffs and everything else but this is not one of those situations where we're choosing to rest somebody. He's out because he has a sore knee."

Irving hasn't played since March 11 -- when he was forced to sit the second half in a Celtics loss to the Pacers. Tuesday's game against the Thunder will mark the fourth consecutive game Boston has played without their All-Star point guard.

Back to top Go down

Kyrie Irving headed for second opinion on injured knee Empty Re: Kyrie Irving headed for second opinion on injured knee

Post by 112288 Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:28 am

I noticed his knee problem 2 months ago and stated it in one of my posts. Each time he sat during a game they were working on his knee.

This could spell a problem for next season if he needs an operation during the summer.

Hayward in Irving out..........timing is beginning to go against us.

Back to top Go down

Kyrie Irving headed for second opinion on injured knee Empty Re: Kyrie Irving headed for second opinion on injured knee

Post by wideclyde Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:31 pm

Not an orthopedic doctor, but if Irving is somewhere near capable of playing I would not think that any type of major operation will be necessary. If he has suffered an injury such as an ACL tear he would have already had the necessary operation, and there would be no need for a second opinion or any thoughts of him playing again this season.

However, getting a second opinion now makes perfect sense, and if an operation is needed either now or later in the Spring he should be ready to go by late September.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:00 pm

I feel like him getting surgery is likely to happen sometime in the near future. If he plays through this, I assume it's because the top brass thinks we have a shot at a deep run.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:16 pm

Hi,
I hope that the brass would sacrifice the deep run this year if it endangers 100% KI next year. IMO, 100% KI is a must to get #18.
Again, I hope there's nothing major with his knee and minor maintenance and rest will get him to 100% for the next season.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:33 pm

There was some rumor following the trade that Kyrie threatened to get knee surgery if the Cavs neglected to trade him. Not sure if that has any merit but the knee situation is a real problem.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:35 pm

Unless there is a long recovery after surgery or he can do long term damage by continuing, I bet Kyrie rests until a few games before the playoffs. Comes back, plays until they get knocked out and then has surgery in June.

No need to risk further injury, but also no need to end this season if his surgery only has a 3 month recovery time frame.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down