gyso
wideclyde
Shamrock1000
kdp59
Ktronic1
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

Why Jaylen and not Jayson? Empty Why Jaylen and not Jayson?

Post by bobheckler Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:32 am

Dan Greenberg
Dan Greenberg @StoolGreenie
yesterday
I find it interesting that every Celtics fan will agree that Tatum is off limits based off what we saw from him in the playoffs, yet Jaylen had a very similar postseason and yet people don't feel the same. Why is that?

Dan Greenberg
yesterday
So here's where it get's interesting. In this year's playoffs here were their 4th quarter stats Jaylen: 4.5 points on 49/26% splits Tatum: 4.6 points on 46/31% splits Here's what it was during the reg season Jaylen: 3.0 points on 51/39% splits Tatum: 3.9 its on 53/48% splits

douglas henderson
douglas henderson
@cochise269
Replying to @StoolGreenie
Jaylen did his best work in the 1st quarter and Jayson did his best work in the 4th.  That alters perception.

bob
MY NOTE:  Why is it Jaylen is sometimes, albeit reluctantly, included in trade packages for the likes of Kawhi and Davis, but never Jayson?  Their offensive numbers aren't too far apart and Jaylen is the more accomplished defender.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Why Jaylen and not Jayson? Empty Re: Why Jaylen and not Jayson?

Post by Ktronic1 Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:28 am

bobheckler wrote:Dan Greenberg
yesterday
I find it interesting that every Celtics fan will agree that Tatum is off limits based off what we saw from him in the playoffs, yet Jaylen had a very similar postseason and yet people don't feel the same. Why is that?

Dan Greenberg
yesterday
So here's where it get's interesting. In this year's playoffs here were their 4th quarter stats Jaylen: 4.5 points on 49/26% splits Tatum: 4.6 points on 46/31% splits Here's what it was during the reg season Jaylen: 3.0 points on 51/39% splits Tatum: 3.9 its on 53/48% splits

douglas henderson
douglas henderson
@cochise269
Replying to @StoolGreenie
Jaylen did his best work in the 1st quarter and Jayson did his best work in the 4th.  That alters perception.

bob
MY NOTE:  Why is it Jaylen is sometimes, albeit reluctantly, included in trade packages for the likes of Kawhi and Davis, but never Jayson?  Their offensive numbers aren't too far apart and Jaylen is the more accomplished defender.

I think Jason is seen as the player who has superstar talent and Jaylen is seen as becoming very very good but not to the status that Jayson will most likely ascend to. Personally I think Jason is a better player and is more talented. Hate to lose either one (4th q stats are telling) but if Spurs wanted Brown, I can see us making that providing Leonard is healthy (mentally and physically) and will sign on for the longer haul.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:50 am

Tatum sold me when Embiid blocked his jam at eh rim in the playoffs and the rookie looked at him and said

"you got lucky"

are you kidding me?

you can't teach that type of attitude, Ainge can send every other player away, but keep this kid, he is special.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:47 am

Grest question. I tend to be a "numbers" guy but I also have this bias. One thing might be my sense that Jayson is more consistent. When Jaylen is off offensively, he can be really off. This is just perception though, as most stats just show averages, not standard deviations. The second thing would be that Jayson's game seems smoother, more effortless, which I admit is entirely subjective. And of course Jayson was a rookie, the numbers you quote compare a rookie JT to a sophmore JB.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:00 pm

Leonard or Davis?

Neither of our two young star-like players should get traded for Leonard. Period.

Because Davis is a much better player than Leonard, plays a position that the Cs need much more than another wing, played almost the entire 2018 season (healthier), has no history of complaining, is signed at a very reasonable rate for the next bunch of years and is younger than Leonard, I could (very reluctantly) part with either Brown or Tatum as part of the price to get Davis if necessary.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:42 pm

kdp59 wrote:Tatum sold me when Embiid blocked his jam at eh rim in the playoffs and the rookie looked at him and said

"you got lucky"

are you kidding me?

you can't teach that  type of attitude, Ainge can send every other player away, but keep this kid, he is special.

Off court they are friends. It wasn't something that is going to cause a personal vendetta. That helps to put some context on the trash talking event.

But still, I agree. Tatum ain't no shrinking violet.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:52 pm

Much of the difference between Jaylen and Jason can be attributed to one thing; Jaylen Brown was in his second season and Jason Tatum was a rookie.

When you compare their rookie seasons, it seems obvious who is more likely to have a higher ceiling.

Personally, I would prefer to keep both of them in Kelly Green. Their skill sets are different enough to eliminate any redundancy, yet I believe their skill sets create problems for the other team on both ends of the court.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:54 pm

If Ainge trades either for Kawhi, he’s an idiot.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:49 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:If Ainge trades either for Kawhi, he’s an idiot.

Agree I don’t trust his health or his mental state

Let’s grow with these 2 pups

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:10 pm

Tatum has a game predicated on footwork similar to Paul Pierce. He is likely more athletic than Paul, but you can see in him an ability to get his shot nearly anyplace on the floor - and do so by tying his opponents feet up with good footwork.

Jaylen is more of a raw athlete, who is turning into a good shooter- but still needs his athleticism to really succeed. Players like this are like a fine tuned sports car. As long as the engine is working perfectly they are brilliant. But what happens after the first accident/injury? What about the third?

I think Jayson is built for the long haul more than Brown, which is why I personally rate him higher.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by fierce Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:35 am

Tatum is special period!

Jaylen Brown is very good, true.
But it remains to be seen if Jaylen will become a special player like Paul Pierce.

Jayson Tatum right now clearly is the next Celtic superstar.
fierce
fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:14 am

mrkleen09 wrote:Tatum has a game predicated on footwork similar to Paul Pierce.  He is likely more athletic than Paul, but you can see in him an ability to get his shot nearly anyplace on the floor - and do so by tying his opponents feet up with good footwork.

Jaylen is more of a raw athlete, who is turning into a good shooter- but still needs his athleticism to really succeed.  Players like this are like a fine tuned sports car.  As long as the engine is working perfectly they are brilliant.  But what happens after the first accident/injury?  What about the third?

I think Jayson is built for the long haul more than Brown, which is why I personally rate him higher.

He might have already had the first and second, the first was that brutal fall on the back of his neck on that dunk, he was flying at the rim at warp speed. Second was hamstring in playoffs, hit some really big shots and monster dunks first game back always landing gingerly and then hoping one footed to make sure wasn’t putting weight on landing. That first fall was dramatic, after 2 weeks he looked like himself when he came back and playing through that hamstring, he really played great in limited minutes with the injury. This kid could be one of the best athletes at his height, size ever, see the way he was swatting Kevin Love close the basket anytime he got near him or was on him. He also can be a top 6’7”-6’8” wing defender in the league for the next 10-12 years. He also carried us for huge stretches during the playoffs when we really needed someone to step up, for only 21 and a year younger than my oldest son, I’d say he’s really good.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:46 pm

Jaylen is really good.

In my opinion, Tatum is and will be better.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:22 pm

All good kleen, were obviously rooting for both of them....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down