tjmakz
NYCelt
Berlin-T
Shamrock1000
dbrown4
bobheckler
11 posters

Go down

NBA Player: Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown Don’t Make Teammates Better Empty NBA Player: Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown Don’t Make Teammates Better

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:20 am

https://www.clnsmedia.com/nba-player-jayson-tatum-jaylen-brown-dont-make-teammates-better/

NBA Player: Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown Don’t Make Teammates Better

An NBA source tells Jeff Goodman that the Celtics won't go far with Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown as their superstars.

By John Zannis - February 19, 2021

Much of the Celtics struggles this season has been attributed to the team’s lack of depth behind stars Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown and to a lesser extent Kemba Walker.

But one current NBA player who faced the Celtics recently believes Tatum and Brown are part of the problem, not the solution.

The player told Jeff Goodman of the Bob Ryan & Jeff Goodman Podcast on the CLNS Media Network that Brown & Tatum simply don’t make their teammate better.

“(Jayson) Tatum & (Jaylen) Brown can’t be your Superstars,” the player told Goodman. “They only do things to help their game. They don’t get anyone else easy shots. All the know how to do is score.”

From a purely statistical standpoint Tatum and Brown have clearly been the Celtics best players. Both are averaging career highs in several offensive categories including points and field goal attempts. The Celtics however are 14-14 on the season despite their stars best efforts.

The player went on to tell Goodman that too much of the load falls on Tatum and Brown which makes the Celtics easier to defend.

“They (Tatum & Brown) don’t turn down tough shots to get a guy an easy shot,” the player said. “So teams are onto them.”

Of course the Celtics have also dealt with injuries. Walker missed time at the beginning of the season rehabbing his knee and Marcus Smart is currently out with a calf tear.

Bob
MY NOTE:  They are not floor generals.  They are being asked to do that now but they aren't point guards or point forwards or point anything except maybe the point of the spear.  The unavailability of Marcus Smart, and the complete flip* uselessness of Jeff Teague, makes that very clear now.  To be fair, LeBron wasn't a floor general when he was their age either, that's why his first Cleveland team never went anywhere, but that's where the Boston Celtics are right now.  Brad has few options here.  Kemba isn't a floor general, Teague looks like a pincushion from all the times the fork has been stuck into him, Pritchard's a rookie and Tremont is marginal.  You can't make a couple of silk purses out of a sow's ear, certainly not on the fly like this. Time to cancel your coaching gig, Evan, and suit up.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

NBA Player: Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown Don’t Make Teammates Better Empty Re: NBA Player: Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown Don’t Make Teammates Better

Post by dbrown4 Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:24 am

Very nice, clear perspective. It took LeBron 7 or so years to figure that all out. Do we have that kind of time is the biggest question.

This is the logical progression and learning curve of every NBA great player though, isn't it?

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

NBA Player: Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown Don’t Make Teammates Better Empty Re: NBA Player: Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown Don’t Make Teammates Better

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:25 am

Tom Westerholm @Tom_NBA
about 8 hours ago
Kind of interesting: Only two teams in the NBA have three players with 29 percent usage or more. Those teams: Brooklyn (Harden, Irving, Durant) and Boston (Tatum, Brown, Kemba). The Celtics are leaning on Tatum, Brown and Kemba for a whole lot.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:32 am

What this article says is true, but it sounds to me like a more detailed way of saying they are too young to lead a championship team, which most of us here know whether or not we admit it to ourselves. I agree the ball movement needs to improve, but I have also noticed Tatum and Brown are dishing more assists than ever, and learning how to deal with double teams. Doing that consistently will be key though, and will take time. Sure wish Kemba could be the veteran we hoped he would be....

I am going to start another post with a breakdown of the east that provides a good analysis of the problems facing the Celtics - unfortunately they conclude there is no easy solution (other than Kemba starting to play like Kemba).

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:49 am

Bob
MY NOTE:  They are not floor generals.  They are being asked to do that now but they aren't point guards or point forwards or point anything except maybe the point of the spear.

.[/quote]

More like the point of despair!

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:50 am

I know my generation was spoiled by Magic and Bird.  Those two would have imploded under today's NBA.  

Can you imagine Magic and Bird having to wait for YEARS to get their shit together along with coaches and management?!!  The 80's would have had a FAR, FAR different remembrance for all of us if that were the case. Of course they played a couple of years of college ball and worked out a large portion of the kinks BEFORE coming to the NBA but you get my point.  

The purpose of college basketball (and college in general) is to go from a totally dependent person, a child, to a totally independent person, an adult, in 4 years.  It works very well for most of those that choose that path.  You can tell now with the NBA one and doners that this system has been short-circuited.  

College is a 4 year well-rounded full life experience necessary so your employers don't have to spend a lot of their time, energy and money watching you bumble around shooting yourself in the foot trying to find your ass with both hands helping you grow the hell up.  

Another purpose of college is to live with yourself, all your decisions, all their consequences amongst your peers for 4 years.  That below the surface daily churning reality check probably does more for an individual than anything else ever will in turning them from a child into an adult.  

Fresh off watching Ben Simmons/One and Done, (highly recommended on Showtime, BTW) the NBA creates it's own problem here, pushes it on the University system to take a kid who has no interest in going to college or receiving a degree forcing them into one year of college before declaring.  As long as there is this Twilight Zone 4-year "gap" known as college and specifically for basketball, you get what you pay for.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:56 am

I'll start off with my perceived lack of value in the opinion of unnamed sources.

I'll end there too.

I think they simply need a stronger supporting roster around them. That is all. I'm willing to sign my name to that one too.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:14 pm

dbrown4 wrote:I know my generation was spoiled by Magic and Bird.  Those two would have imploded under today's NBA.  

Can you imagine Magic and Bird having to wait for YEARS to get their shit together along with coaches and management?!!  The 80's would have had a FAR, FAR different remembrance for all of us if that were the case.  Of course they played a couple of years of college ball and worked out a large portion of the kinks BEFORE coming to the NBA but you get my point.  

The purpose of college basketball (and college in general) is to go from a totally dependent person, a child, to a totally independent person, an adult, in 4 years.  It works very well for most of those that choose that path.  You can tell now with the NBA one and doners that this system has been short-circuited.  

College is a 4 year well-rounded full life experience necessary so your employers don't have to spend a lot of their time, energy and money watching you bumble around shooting yourself in the foot trying to find your ass with both hands helping you grow the hell up.  

Another purpose of college is to live with yourself, all your decisions, all their consequences amongst your peers for 4 years.  That below the surface daily churning reality check probably does more for an individual than anything else ever will in turning them from a child into an adult.  

Fresh off watching Ben Simmons/One and Done, (highly recommended on Showtime, BTW) the NBA creates it's own problem here, pushes it on the University system to take a kid who has no interest in going to college or receiving a degree forcing them into one year of college before declaring.  As long as there is this Twilight Zone 4-year "gap" known as college and specifically for basketball, you get what you pay for.  

db

dbrown,

I have gone on record numerous times as saying that "one-and-done" has diluted the talent in the NBA because of GM's FOMO. Not the athleticism, but the basketball talent because basketball talent exercises the 4" muscle between the ears as well as physical muscle memory and 19 year old teenagers don't have either of those in the quantity needed for the best league in the world. If it was up to me I'd argue for "two-and-done", minimum, but I think I'm a distinct minority on this, not just on this board but in Basketball Land in general.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:22 pm

bobheckler wrote:
dbrown4 wrote:I know my generation was spoiled by Magic and Bird.  Those two would have imploded under today's NBA.  

Can you imagine Magic and Bird having to wait for YEARS to get their shit together along with coaches and management?!!  The 80's would have had a FAR, FAR different remembrance for all of us if that were the case.  Of course they played a couple of years of college ball and worked out a large portion of the kinks BEFORE coming to the NBA but you get my point.  

db

dbrown,

I have gone on record numerous times as saying that "one-and-done" has diluted the talent in the NBA because of GM's FOMO.  Not the athleticism, but the basketball talent because basketball talent exercises the 4" muscle between the ears as well as physical muscle memory and 19 year old teenagers don't have either of those in the quantity needed for the best league in the world.  If it was up to me I'd argue for "two-and-done", minimum, but I think I'm a distinct minority on this, not just on this board but in Basketball Land in general.

Bob

Absolutely agree.

One-and-done needs to go.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:38 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://www.clnsmedia.com/nba-player-jayson-tatum-jaylen-brown-dont-make-teammates-better/

NBA Player: Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown Don’t Make Teammates Better

An NBA source tells Jeff Goodman that the Celtics won't go far with Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown as their superstars.

By John Zannis - February 19, 2021

Much of the Celtics struggles this season has been attributed to the team’s lack of depth behind stars Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown and to a lesser extent Kemba Walker.

But one current NBA player who faced the Celtics recently believes Tatum and Brown are part of the problem, not the solution.

The player told Jeff Goodman of the Bob Ryan & Jeff Goodman Podcast on the CLNS Media Network that Brown & Tatum simply don’t make their teammate better.

“(Jayson) Tatum & (Jaylen) Brown can’t be your Superstars,” the player told Goodman. “They only do things to help their game. They don’t get anyone else easy shots. All the know how to do is score.”

From a purely statistical standpoint Tatum and Brown have clearly been the Celtics best players. Both are averaging career highs in several offensive categories including points and field goal attempts. The Celtics however are 14-14 on the season despite their stars best efforts.

The player went on to tell Goodman that too much of the load falls on Tatum and Brown which makes the Celtics easier to defend.

“They (Tatum & Brown) don’t turn down tough shots to get a guy an easy shot,” the player said. “So teams are onto them.”

Of course the Celtics have also dealt with injuries. Walker missed time at the beginning of the season rehabbing his knee and Marcus Smart is currently out with a calf tear.

Bob
MY NOTE:  They are not floor generals.  They are being asked to do that now but they aren't point guards or point forwards or point anything except maybe the point of the spear.  The unavailability of Marcus Smart, and the complete flip* uselessness of Jeff Teague, makes that very clear now.  To be fair, LeBron wasn't a floor general when he was their age either, that's why his first Cleveland team never went anywhere, but that's where the Boston Celtics are right now.  Brad has few options here.  Kemba isn't a floor general, Teague looks like a pincushion from all the times the fork has been stuck into him, Pritchard's a rookie and Tremont is marginal.  You can't make a couple of silk purses out of a sow's ear, certainly not on the fly like this.  Time to cancel your coaching gig, Evan, and suit up.

Cleveland was a very different situation than Boston's current team.
I think Lebron has always been a floor general.
The problem with the Cavs was their lack of talent.
The second leading scorer on those Cavs teams was Ilgauskas or Larry Hughes. Yuck.
I agree that Brown and Tatum don't really make other players better.
Smart definitely does that. They miss him immensely.
Danny definitely needs to add to the roster.
The Clippers, Lakers, Bucks, 76ers and Brooklyn have all made big/huge trades over the last year or two.
It is now Danny's turn to cash in his 1st round picks and young players for a player who will move the needle for Boston.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:42 pm

NYCelt wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

db

dbrown,

I have gone on record numerous times as saying that "one-and-done" has diluted the talent in the NBA because of GM's FOMO.  Not the athleticism, but the basketball talent because basketball talent exercises the 4" muscle between the ears as well as physical muscle memory and 19 year old teenagers don't have either of those in the quantity needed for the best league in the world.  If it was up to me I'd argue for "two-and-done", minimum, but I think I'm a distinct minority on this, not just on this board but in Basketball Land in general.

Bob

Absolutely agree.

Supposedly the requirement for one year of post high school (college/oversees) before you can be eligible for the draft is going to go away soon.
Yes, the players would be better equipped if they had a 2 year eligibility requirement. It doesn't sound like that will happen.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:37 pm

tjmakz wrote:
NYCelt wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

db

dbrown,

Bob

Absolutely agree.

Supposedly the requirement for one year of post high school (college/oversees) before you can be eligible for the draft is going to go away soon.
Yes, the players would be better equipped if they had a 2 year eligibility requirement. It doesn't sound like that will happen.

TJ,

You're probably right about "one-and-done" not going away.  What I find most odd about that is it is the Player's Association that is holding the line on that, not the GMs.  There are only so many slots.  15 regular roster slots and two 2-way players, total 17 players in a 30 team league.  510 players total.  If the goal of the union is to ensure jobs for their union members why would they drag their feet in agreeing to something that slows down the flood of new, incoming talent every year?  Maybe I'm thinking a little too Machiavellian here, but could it be because they are seeing these teenagers as not real competition for the veterans and think a lot of those kids will wash out after their rookie contract?  They've worked very hard, and quite successfully, to upgrade the perception and availability of G-League players with the two-way contract. By letting 19 year olds come in and get a slot that a Tremont Waters or Tacko Fall have been working for years to secure doesn't that undermine that whole effort?

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:46 pm

tjmakz wrote:
NYCelt wrote:
bobheckler wrote:

db

dbrown,

Bob

Absolutely agree.

That's correct. The one year requirement is going away. That was agreed to when they set up the ability to jump directly to G-League. Bad move IMO.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:49 pm

Celtics have two outstanding young wings, 3 decent big men, and a few ball decent ball handlers.

Brad and Danny talk about three positions....wings, big men and ball handlers. Would the Celtics be better off trading one of Brown or Tatum for a comparable young talent who is either a big or a ball handler? We then would have outstanding players at two of the three “positions” and perhaps better off than having two super wings???

I think yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:05 pm

bobc33 wrote:Celtics have two outstanding young wings, 3 decent big men, and a few ball decent ball handlers.

Brad and Danny talk about three positions....wings, big men and ball handlers.  Would the Celtics be better off trading one of Brown or Tatum for a comparable young talent who is either a big or a ball handler?  We then would have outstanding players at two of the three “positions” and perhaps better off than having two super wings???

I think yes.

Duck, Bob! People will be throwing serious heat your way for that one!

Even if you're right, IMO.

Hate to see it, but this team does not appear to be a title contender as is, mainly due to holes in the lineup and lack of depth. A big is needed. A better quality big. Maybe a point guard, too soon to say. Either way, you can't get a quality player without giving up a quality player. Fans seem to think the duo of Tatum and Brown is the sacred key to the next title, and that could be if the team can figure a way to round out the roster while still keeping both. No easy task. That's probably why the last two #14 picks were wings, knowing the team might need to send out Tatum or Brown to get back into title contention. I think if the season continues as is, Brown is a leading candidate to leave in a deal for a big. Hey, we once traded away Al Jefferson in order to contend, right?

Anyway, I agree with you. You make your deals when and where you're in a position of strength.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Berlin-T Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:23 pm

bobc33 wrote:Celtics have two outstanding young wings, 3 decent big men, and a few ball decent ball handlers.

Brad and Danny talk about three positions....wings, big men and ball handlers.  Would the Celtics be better off trading one of Brown or Tatum for a comparable young talent who is either a big or a ball handler?  We then would have outstanding players at two of the three “positions” and perhaps better off than having two super wings???

I think yes.

Very brave of you Bob and worthy of consideration.

Berlin-T
Berlin-T
Berlin-T

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:03 pm

I think yes.

Some people be thinking ...

NBA Player: Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown Don’t Make Teammates Better Suicid11

Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:14 pm

NYCelt wrote:I'll start off with my perceived lack of value in the opinion of unnamed sources.

I'll end there too.

I think they simply need a stronger supporting roster around them. That is all. I'm willing to sign my name to that one too.

NYCelt

I agree with you. I have seen an effort on both their parts to move the ball to open teammates. Case in point in yesterday's game JB recorded 9 assists. This is really the first year that he has had an opportunity to do that. During February Jayson is averaging 5.7 assists per game and Jaylen is averaging 4.5 assists. Year over year they have both worked to expand their play making skills. So the evidence is in sharp contrast to the unknown source's opinion.

As you know we still need a center or at the very least a dynamic PF for our front line. A veteran scorer for the bench and a dose of offensive diversity would be helpful.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:39 pm

I happen to agree with the author. He is right!  Take Ray Allan, he was the go to guy to make the shot, however he did not make his teammates better. KG, Pierce, Rondo made their teammates better.

Tatum and to a lessor extent Brown (because he makes things happen like - steals - hard D) are Ray Allan.   They should be the go to guys for outside shooting.  That brings me to my long standing gripe that Danny needs to get a legit center and a legit power forward.  That will balance out the team which now is just relying on Tatum and Brown to score almost half the entire Celtic scoring night in and night out. The Celtics team averages for the season - 110 pts per game. Tatum and Brown combined average for the season at 51.5 points per game.

It goes back to the old argument, who was better Russell or Chamberlain. Most picked Chamberlin, but real knowledgable fans knew it was Russell because he made his teammates better.

Say what you want about La Bron James, but not only could he score , but he made his teammates better because he knew how to distribute the ball. Same goes for Magic Johnson.

Last edited by 112288 on Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:42 pm

NYCelt wrote:

I think yes.

Duck, Bob! People will be throwing serious heat your way for that one!

Even if you're right, IMO.

Hate to see it, but this team does not appear to be a title contender as is, mainly due to holes in the lineup and lack of depth. A big is needed. A better quality big. Maybe a point guard, too soon to say. Either way, you can't get a quality player without giving up a quality player. Fans seem to think the duo of Tatum and Brown is the sacred key to the next title, and that could be if the team can figure a way to round out the roster while still keeping both. No easy task. That's probably why the last two #14 picks were wings, knowing the team might need to send out Tatum or Brown to get back into title contention. I think if the season continues as is, Brown is a leading candidate to leave in a deal for a big. Hey, we once traded away Al Jefferson in order to contend, right?

Anyway, I agree with you. You make your deals when and where you're in a position of strength.

Regards

I disagree, I haven’t lost faith in 2 J’s, they are still ahead in development in comparison to other stars/superstar wings in this L at the same age. Look it’s unfair to compare them to Magic and Bird, even Lebron and MJ did not come into the L ready to lead a franchise like those 2 guys. I’m happy going thru more of their growing pains if need be for the long haul. Let’s say you get rid of one, let’s say it’s Jaylen, you still have to replace him, he’s still a budding all star as a 2 at worst, where you gonna find a 2 like that? Devin Booker and Donovan Mitchell do not grow on trees. Where you gonna find a wing that can defend 4’s like Jaylen, the kid is a stud as is Tatum, they are young and learning on the fly, both a little dinged up right now. Look how long it took Pierce to get his shit together? Again Jordan lost to Larry and others for years and finally won at 28, did they get rid of Pippen or build around him? I also think RWill is a growing uber beast that just has to stay healthy and stop being held back by Brad, with minutes he could easily be in the top 10 as a rebounder and lead the league in blocks. He also needs to mature, add weight/muscle, but more pieces are in place than not in place. We are going thru a rough stretch and growing pains, agreed Danny’s draft in 19 sucked as did the Kemba signing, but at the time, well hindsight is easy. Rozier played terribly his last year here....did Red break up the Bird C’s after 83 or build around them?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:11 pm

This whole making others better is bullshit, I would agree right now the J’s are not experts at facilitating, but they are working on it and right now both are at career highs in assists. They also have the talent to carry a team on their back and both have already gotten further in the playoffs than Giannis and Luka to name 2. This is a rough stretch and both budding stars are not 100%, but still giving their all on a flawed team with a flawed coach. They will only get better and get better at making others better. The team is underachieving right now, we still have time and part of having a young team is having to go thru growing pains with young potential good pieces. RWill, Nesmith, PP all have further levels to reach as do the 2 J’s. Theis and TT are good pieces, Semi is improved, Kemba is a dilemma, Smart is out and Stevens strategy and motivational skills are questionable at best....too many coaches/teams have figured us out, but we still have an ascending curve as a team, wish we were a little healthier and Brad was a much better more adaptable coach. If the team remains at .500 by the end of the season, I would demand a coaching change.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:24 pm

I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT A YOUNG TEAM! KEMBA IS NOT YOUNG, HE IS A VET, THOMPSON IS A VET, THEIS IS A VET WITH EURO EXPERIENCE, SMART IS A VET, AND SEMI IS A VET.

WHAT IS THIS THE SECOND REBUILD WITHIN A REBUILD, THAT NEEDS ANOTHER REBUILD!

YA NEED A DIFFERENT GAME PLAN BRAD! AND DANNY, YOUR ASSETS ARE GROWING OLDER AND ARE STALE, MOVE THEM FOR A UPGRADE PLEASE!

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:21 pm

112288 wrote:I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT A YOUNG TEAM!   KEMBA IS NOT YOUNG, HE IS A VET, THOMPSON IS A VET, THEIS IS A VET WITH EURO EXPERIENCE, SMART IS A VET, AND SEMI IS A VET.

WHAT IS THIS THE SECOND REBUILD WITHIN A REBUILD, THAT NEEDS ANOTHER REBUILD!

YA NEED A DIFFERENT GAME PLAN BRAD!  AND DANNY, YOUR ASSETS ARE GROWING OLDER AND ARE STALE, MOVE THEM FOR A UPGRADE PLEASE!

Okay I will agree , but I don’t agree with all CAPITALS okay!!!!

I agree since you did not say to get rid of young pieces Brown Tatum RWill Nesmith PP and Smart and I very much like Theis who is still improving, unfortunately I LIVE IN THE REAL WORLD and what GM will take Kemba and his 2 years left of a max contract off our hands unless we TAKE BACK ALOT OF JUNK...????

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:29 pm

Cowan,

When I wrote it I did not have my glasses so I could not see if I made any mistakes. No I was not shouting, Sorry Bro!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down