Add Rudy Gay To The List Of People Who Want Out Of San Antonio

+3
dboss
worcester
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Add Rudy Gay To The List Of People Who Want Out Of San Antonio Empty Add Rudy Gay To The List Of People Who Want Out Of San Antonio

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:27 pm

https://www.barstoolsports.com/boston/add-rudy-gay-to-the-list-of-people-who-want-out-of-san-antonio/?_branch_match_id=513748417547689558

Add Rudy Gay To The List Of People Who Want Out Of San Antonio

Greenie
6/18/2018 11:48 AM

Chris Haynes
✔️
@ChrisBHaynes
San Antonio forward Rudy Gay is declining his player option to become a free agent this summer, league sources tell ESPN.

11:30 AM - Jun 18, 2018

Ok what the hell is going on in San Antonio. First we had the Kawhi drama, and now we have a 31 year old Rudy Gay, a guy that played just 57 games this past season, turning down his $8.8M player option so he too can hit the open market this summer. Last season was the first for Gay in SA, where he averaged 11/5/2 on 47/31% splits in 21.6 minutes a night. Coming off his torn achilles, I don’t think any of us knew what to expect from Gay this past season because not only is that a brutal injury to come back from, but he’s doing it at an age we see guys start to slow down. This tells me that Gay believes Kawhi is as good as gone, and he wants no part of being around a rebuild at this stage of his career. He probably came to SA with the idea of competing for a ring, and now that it appears the Spurs are going in the opposite direction who could blame him for wanting to relocate.

The question now becomes what is his market? A guy who has made $118M in his career I can’t imagine he cares too much about his salary next year. If I’m a contender that needs additional wing scoring help I absolutely kick the tires on Gay. He may not be the go to #1 option that he was before his injury and in his younger years, but the dude can clearly still play

At this point do the Spurs seriously consider blowing it up even more? Do we see Danny Green also turn down his player option for next year at around $10M? For a franchise that has been as stable as SA has been over the last 20 years, this is as chaotic a time as I can ever remember them going through since Duncan almost left for the Magic.. Add in the fact that Pop is on his way out in a few years, you almost have to wonder what the hell is going on.

If I had to guess, we’re going to start to see rumors about LMA wanting out, only he’s a little tougher given he just signed his extension and I’m not sure teams are going to want to take on that salary. Either way, if you told me the Spurs would be the talk of the offseason and for all the wrong reasons, there’s no way I’d believe you.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Add Rudy Gay To The List Of People Who Want Out Of San Antonio Empty Re: Add Rudy Gay To The List Of People Who Want Out Of San Antonio

Post by worcester Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:35 pm

"A guy who has made $118M in his career I can’t imagine he cares too much about his salary next year."

Imagine it. Money is money, and all players without mega endorsement deals want more salary.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Add Rudy Gay To The List Of People Who Want Out Of San Antonio Empty Re: Add Rudy Gay To The List Of People Who Want Out Of San Antonio

Post by dboss Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:42 pm

So by virtue of Gay exercising his player option he does not want to play for the Spurs?

These mindless and irrelevant articles are less than good filler for a Celtics fan waiting for the start of the season.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:24 pm

I firmly believe that many (even most) professional athletes feed their ego off how much they are paid to play their sport. Very, very few ever take less money to play anywhere, and the few who do usually only do so to "chase rings" which is not a bad thing but it does mean that these guys have already been paid very well.

For most of us (at least me) we cannot imagine making millions per season, and know that it does not take a million (let alone mega millions per season) to comfortably feed, house and clothe our families. As a result most of us have trouble understanding why an athlete needs such big contracts.

In all reality they do not need such big money contracts until their egos come in to play. The huge contracts feed these egos by serving as a comparison to other players.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:18 pm

The real truthy truth is that players would not get paid like they are without billion dollar tv contracts. Budweiser and Miller Light have ruined the game a lot more than Kevin Durant, IMO. I wonder what goes through the minds of people like Tommy and all the others who had to work the offseason to support their families when multimillionaire athletes complain about not getting enuf?
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:16 am

wideclyde wrote:I firmly believe that many (even most) professional athletes feed their ego off how much they are paid to play their sport.  Very, very few ever take less money to play anywhere, and the few who do usually only do so to "chase rings" which is not a bad thing but it does mean that these guys have already been paid very well.

For most of us (at least me) we cannot imagine making millions per season, and know that it does not take a million (let alone mega millions per season) to comfortably feed, house and clothe our families. As a result most of us have trouble understanding why an athlete needs such big contracts.

In all reality they do not need such big money contracts until their egos come in to play.   The huge contracts feed these egos by serving as a comparison to other players.

Clyde,

+1. It's measuring up, and they are all naturally competitive people.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:44 am

Isn`t Popovch`s wife seriously ill? Maybe he`s been distracted.He`s always been a taskmaster, which may not sit well with some of these  guys.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:17 am

jrleftfoot wrote:Isn`t Popovch`s wife seriously ill? Maybe he`s been distracted.He`s always been a taskmaster, which may not sit well with some of these  guys.

JR,

Pop's wife of 40+ years passed away a few months ago.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:33 am

Thanks. That`s rough. Gotta be a little distracted.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:12 am

Basketball concerns pale in comparison.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:34 pm

For sure.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:39 pm

wideclyde wrote:I firmly believe that many (even most) professional athletes feed their ego off how much they are paid to play their sport.  Very, very few ever take less money to play anywhere, and the few who do usually only do so to "chase rings" which is not a bad thing but it does mean that these guys have already been paid very well.

In all reality they do not need such big money contracts until their egos come in to play.   The huge contracts feed these egos by serving as a comparison to other players.

I don't have any problem with athletes trying to earn as much as possible. First, their main career will be over by the time they are in their mid 30s, and that is if they are lucky. Thus, they need to earn enough to take of themselves and their families for the next 40 years. That is a long time. Additionally, a lot of these guys come from disadvantaged backgrounds, and they want to also take care of their parents and grand parents and other extended family. A lot of them also hire friends from growing up, and thus have to be able to support that group of people too. Most of them want their children, and their chilfren's chlidren, to worry about money as little as possible - seems admirable to me. So this image of the greedy athlete who doesn't really understand the amount of money he makes, beyond comparing that amount to his peers, is probably a little disrespectful. Personally I see nothing wrong with wanting to take care of all the people you love along with future generations of your own flesh and blood. Actually, I almost think it would be selfish to take less money - maybe you are not taking food out of your own child's mouth, but you will be limiting what future generations of your family can have. Nobody gets on Wyc or other owners for the obscene amounts of money they have made in their careers. Not to belittle what CEOs and other rich folk have accomplished, but my guess is that there is a decent amount of other people who could have done as good a job had the right cirumstance arose. On the other hand, these sports guys are literally the best at what they do on the entire planet, and what they do generates tons of money. Why shouldn't they get a significant portion?

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down