bobheckler
dboss
beat
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Deal done with Smart - Page 2 Empty Re: Deal done with Smart

Post by k_j_88 Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:30 pm

$52M/4yrs? I think $13M/yr (average) is a bit steep for a player with pedestrian offensive ability.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:52 pm

Bill Russell wasn't playing with HOFers when he was playing. That was decided later. It is a star driven league and people have come to believe that having a Big 3 or 4 or 5 is the way to go. That minimizes the importance of team play and that has always been a hallmark of Celtics basketball. But it is what it is and what it is is what's happening at the moment in the NBA.

We have a stacked roster. Three proven all stars and two rising stars. Smart may or may not ever make an all defensive team but he plays like he's on one. Theis is a former Bundesliga DPOY. He is going to have a very strong second season. Everyone else from Baynes, to TRo on down knows that all they have to do is get a little better every day and be ready when their number is called. The Celtics are the only team in the NBA that currently can compete with the Warriors based on matchups.

Gordon didn't eat at all last year. He is coming back hungry.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:04 pm

mulcogiseng wrote:Bill Russell wasn't playing with HOFers when he was playing. That was decided later. It is a star driven league and people have come to believe that having a Big 3 or 4 or 5 is the way to go. That minimizes the importance of team play and that has always been a hallmark of Celtics basketball. But it is what it is and what it is is what's happening at the moment in the NBA.

We have a stacked roster. Three proven all stars and two rising stars. Smart may or may not ever make an all defensive team but he plays like he's on one. Theis is a former Bundesliga DPOY. He is going to have a very strong second season. Everyone else from Baynes, to TRo on down knows that all they have to do is get a little better every day and  be ready when their number is called. The Celtics are the only team in the NBA that currently can compete with the Warriors based on matchups.

Gordon didn't eat at all last year. He is coming back hungry.

+1
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:02 pm

Good news.

Terms are right for a player that is a critical cog to the roster.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:35 pm

gyso wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:Last night Cedric Maxwell was on television. He has backed bringing Smart back right from the end of the season.  He said something that hit home with me. He said that Danny has always regretted letting Tony Allen go, that he was an important part of that team back then and they never replaced him with anyone remotely like him until Smart came along.

This was one of the reasons Danny was so intent on bringing Smart back, a good move as far as I am concerned

Many fans ragged on Danny for letting Tony Allen go.  Let's not reinvent history on that subject.  Max is ignoring a few facts.

Some of that decision is on Danny and some of that is on Tony.  Tony wanted to start and saw no daylight behind Pierce and Voldemort.  Tony left so that he could become a starter, fulfill his dream and fill his wallet at the level of an NBA starter.

I'm just guessing, but I bet both Danny and Tony have a few regrets in that matter.

gyso
Maybe...But I’m of the impression that Tony has very little to none. Tony had a great career with the Grizzlies. (First team all defense) Didn’t win another ring there but neither did the Celts. He played an intergral  part in setting the “Grindhouse” tone and was and still is loved in that city and Tony loved Memphis. Ps. His number is being retired there as well.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:48 am

Matty wrote:
kdp59 wrote:how many "Star" players do the Celtics need?

as many as it takes to win  first 18, then 19, then 20..

the tough part is, ya really don't know what it takes to win the title till  the Gatorade is being dumped on a coach, the players is laughing like silly little girls and fans whether in an arena or in front of their T.V.'s are jumping up and down screaming "we did it!" And not a few of us might be thinking of how nice it would have been for Jeb and Sam to have been along for the ride.

till then, ya keep putting as many pieces together as possible.

its like shooting a full grown grizzly that is charging you, ya don't shoot once and wait and see what the effect will be since ammo prices are higher than in the good old days, ya put all the lead into the SOB ya can price of lead be damned. Boston is putting all the talent on the floor they can, price be damned.

Hooter,

You just channeled Jeb.  I'm tearing up.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:48 am

Ktronic1 wrote:
gyso wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:Last night Cedric Maxwell was on television. He has backed bringing Smart back right from the end of the season.  He said something that hit home with me. He said that Danny has always regretted letting Tony Allen go, that he was an important part of that team back then and they never replaced him with anyone remotely like him until Smart came along.

This was one of the reasons Danny was so intent on bringing Smart back, a good move as far as I am concerned

Many fans ragged on Danny for letting Tony Allen go.  Let's not reinvent history on that subject.  Max is ignoring a few facts.

Some of that decision is on Danny and some of that is on Tony.  Tony wanted to start and saw no daylight behind Pierce and Voldemort.  Tony left so that he could become a starter, fulfill his dream and fill his wallet at the level of an NBA starter.

I'm just guessing, but I bet both Danny and Tony have a few regrets in that matter.

gyso

Maybe...But I’m of the impression that Tony has very little to none. Tony had a great career with the Grizzlies. (First team all defense) Didn’t win another ring there but neither did the Celts. He played an intergral  part in setting the “Grindhouse” tone and was and still is loved in that city and Tony loved Memphis. Ps. His number is being retired there as well.

You may be right. I didn't know they were retiring his number.

I'll change it to "Tony has very few regrets or none at all".

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:51 am

I should have noted that my "how many star players are needed"

was in response to this sentence:

Smart is hardly untouchable, but this contract, as others have previously pointed out, actually makes him easier to include in a trade for a star player, should the opportunity arise.

I was attempting to point out that the current roster ALREADY has more "star" players than any team except GS right now ( I assume Tatum is considered at least a young star).

The only reason I did not include Brown, was because some think his final upside MAY not quite be at that "star" level.

over all my point is , this team is STACKED now and we have high end young players who should continue to grow.

I was NOT promoting any trades and I would argue that only Anthony Davis is a player that Danny should even consider in the next couple years ( and that's not likely to happen unless NO wants to end up in Seattle).

I hope this clarifies what I was attempting to say earlier.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:19 am

kdp59 wrote:I should have noted that my "how many star players are needed"

was in response to this sentence:

Smart is hardly untouchable, but this contract, as others have previously pointed out, actually makes him easier to include in a trade for a star player, should the opportunity arise.

I was attempting to point out that the current roster ALREADY has more "star" players than any team except GS right now ( I assume Tatum is considered at least a young star).

The only reason I did not include Brown, was because some think his final upside MAY not quite be at that "star" level.

over all my point is , this team is STACKED now and we have high end young players who should continue to grow.

I was NOT promoting any trades and I would argue that only Anthony Davis is a player that Danny should even consider in the next couple years ( and that's not likely to happen unless NO wants to end up in Seattle).

I hope this clarifies what I was attempting to say earlier.

I understood what you were saying and I agree.  There were some here who didn't quite understand your meaning and I didn't want to speak for you.  I am glad that you came back around and did some 'splainin'.

Going into this next season, just about every Celtics fan has great expectations.  For the last few seasons, we have seen the results get better and better.  Many articles suggest that we were minutes away from going to the finals last season.

Flash back 10 years.  We had just traded for KG and that other fella.  Out team was cobbled together like some kind of Frankensteinian experiment.  There was no continuity from the last season, there was no way we could have predicted how that season would have turned out.  Our roster didn't even get completed until the trade deadline.  Still, that song "I remember finding about you", that season's theme song, still brings tingles to my spine.  The whole Ubuntu thing came to life.

This season, we have no such theme song and no such defining phrase, but we Celtics fans as a whole absolutely cannot wait for the season to start.  We are stacked, we are healthy and we are back to show the world once again what Celtics Basketball is all about!!

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:05 am

Gyso,
There was no song and no catch phrase at this time during that season. Let's have a poll and disseminate the results widely. We, the convivial, can make this happen! We'll have a song, we'll have a dance, next June we shall prance when we prick that DubU bubble with our Kelly Green lance.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:18 pm

I wasn`t asserting that we needed more star players; simply stating a fact. A mid-level contract like the one Smart signed would be an asset if a trade were contemplated . Additionally, we have a star player who may opt to move on when his contract expires (Irving), one who is recovering from a major injury ( Hayward)  and another who is 32 years old and may outlive his usefulness  during the course of  Smart`s 4 year contract. Professional sports teams are not static entities, but are constantly evolving. I hope I have made myself clear without the need of an interpreter.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:10 am

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 5 hours ago
In 2014, the Celtics signed Avery Bradley to a four-year deal with an AAV equaling 12.6 percent of salary cap. Last week, the Celtics did the same exact thing with Marcus Smart:

bob
MY NOTE:  When Danny signed Avery to that contract many thought it was a lot of money.  Turned out, between Avery's development as a player and rhe rising salary cap, it was a steal.  An amazingly forward-looking guy, our Danny is.  Mike Zarren too.  Wyc needs to slap golden handcuffs on Zarren, he is the wheel inside Danny's wheel.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:02 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:I wasn`t asserting that we needed more star players; simply stating a fact. A mid-level contract like the one Smart signed would be an asset if a trade were contemplated . Additionally, we have a star player who may opt to move on when his contract expires (Irving), one who is recovering from a major injury ( Hayward)  and another who is 32 years old and may outlive his usefulness  during the course of  Smart`s 4 year contract. Professional sports teams are not static entities, but are constantly evolving. I hope I have made myself clear without the need of an interpreter.

jr,

I'm not sure who you were responding to, or what the conversation was even about. But please feel free to print this as a reminder, in any topic where the thought comes up that a given player can't or won't be moved, or the statement that no change is needed is made.

I will quote you often.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:15 pm

I was responding to kdp59, who said he was responding to a sentence I wrote, but didn`t use the quote  mechanism. Wow, that doesn`t really clear anything up, does it? Basically , I had said that Smart`s contract would  make it easier to include him in a trade for a star player if the occasion arose and he said that his " how many stars are  needed" was in response to my statement. I was just trying to clarify my position. We don't necessarily need any more stars not named Anthony Davis right now, but we might during the course of the 4 years Smart signed for. I should have noted that THIS  response is to NYCelt. I`m only on here every so often , so sometimes a topic may be pretty much exhausted by the time I put my 2 cents in.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:02 am

9/4/18:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/1037118030646370305/video/1

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:18 am

The Celtics would not have made it out of the first round against the Bucks without Marcus Smart. Once he came back they literally had a fighting chance.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2