gyso
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Post Game - Detroit - Away Empty Post Game - Detroit - Away

Post by gyso Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:58 am

Pistons end Boston's 8-game run, beat Celtics 113-104

http://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=401071112

DETROIT -- Jayson Tatum leaped toward the basket and Andre Drummond met him there, blocking the Boston forward's attempt at a one-handed dunk.

It was a fitting conclusion to an impressive second half of defense by the Detroit Pistons.

"I was thinking to myself as I was running. I'm like, if he gets this dunk, it's going to ignite their entire team," Drummond said. "I have to do something."

There would be no late surge by the Celtics in the final minutes. Blake Griffin scored 27 points and Drummond added 19 points and 20 rebounds to help the Pistons win 113-104 on Saturday night, snapping the Celtics' eight-game winning streak. Detroit also ended its own six-game skid with a solid 48-minute effort.

The Pistons took control with a 13-0 run in the third quarter and played well at the start of the fourth as well.

"They looked great. They were screening us, they were active, they were alert, they played great," Celtics coach Brad Stevens said. "We couldn't match them shot for shot because the way we were guarding, that's what we had to do, and we just couldn't do it. So hats off to them. It's not our best game. That's it."

Kyrie Irving led Boston with 26 points. The Celtics were down nine when Drummond blocked Tatum with 1:25 remaining.

Both teams shot over 60 percent from the field in the first quarter, and the game was still tight at halftime, with Detroit up 57-56. Drummond punctuated his team's 13-point run in the third with a dunk that put the Pistons ahead 76-66.

Boston closed the quarter strong and trailed by just seven after three, but a 10-1 run to start the fourth put Detroit up 95-79.

The Celtics missed their first seven shots from the floor in the final quarter and went over seven minutes before making a field goal.

The Pistons had 20 turnovers, including eight in the fourth quarter.

"The simple plays, just making the simple pass is the key," Detroit coach Dwane Casey said. "The game gives you simple plays and for whatever reason we kind of get discombobulated."

TIP-INS

Celtics: Marcus Smart was called for three fouls in the first 7:37. He did play a bit more before halftime and finished the game with 21 points and five fouls. ... The Celtics were without Jabari Bird (personal reasons), Al Horford (left knee) and Guerschon Yabusele (right ankle).

Pistons: Detroit was without Henry Ellenson (left ankle), Zaza Pachulia (illness), Glenn Robinson III (left ankle) and Ish Smith (right adductor). ... Reggie Bullock was back in the starting lineup after missing five games with a left ankle sprain. He scored 15 points.

STREAK

One streak that did stay intact was Griffin's run of 20-point games. He has at least 20 points in nine straight, the first Detroit player to do that since Richard Hamilton in 2008-09.

Griffin also surpassed the 12,000-point mark for his career.

"It's good to get a win. We'll take it how we can get it," Griffin said. "Guys stepped up and guys played really, really well tonight. I thought we earned that one."

DIFFERENT CHALLENGE

None of the teams the Celtics beat during their winning streak currently has a winning record. Detroit improved to 14-13 by snapping the streak.

"We played a team that came here to play tonight," Smart said. "They hit a lot of shots and they came out with more energy than we did. They hit us in the face and we wasn't ready."

UP NEXT

Celtics: Host Phoenix on Wednesday night.

Pistons: Host Milwaukee on Monday night.

Back to top Go down

Post Game - Detroit - Away Empty Re: Post Game - Detroit - Away

Post by gyso Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:00 pm

Post Game - Detroit - Away 2018-131

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:00 pm

Post Game - Detroit - Away 2018-130

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Here is the game flow.  It was a close game . . . until it wasn't.  We stopped scoring and defending.  Bad combo.

What comes around goes around.  We have been feasting on teams that were on the second game of a back to back.  It was our turn to be feasted on.

Time for a little home cooking.  Coming up: four game home stand.

Post Game - Detroit - Away 2018-132

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:40 pm

Very hard to beat any team in the NBA 3 times in a row. Moving on.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Three games in four nights with two of them on the road croaked us.  Tired legs weren't getting the shots over the front of the rim, not switching sharply, not rotating in time.  Kyrie Irving missed five shots at the rim.  Five!  He missed a total of ten shots in the paint.  He took a total of 25 fgas, hit 11 of them leaving 14 he missed and 10 of those were in the paint.  When was the last time that happened?!  When will be the next time it happens?  Maybe the next time we play 3 games in 4 nights and have to fly to two of them?

Except for Marcus Smart.  His heart just wouldn't accept the fact that we couldn't pull this out if we just worked a little harder and he almost pulled it off.  Players look to Kyrie for leadership but it's no wonder he watches Marcus Smart film for inspiration.  21 points on 6-11, 5-7 from 3 and 8 rebounds from our favorite non-shooter.

Blake Griffin just backed everybody down.  That was his game.  Out of his 16 fgas only 5 were outside the paint.  8 were at or within the restricted area.  No wonder he scored 27, he got to exactly where he wanted to get to.

They shot almost 49%.  This would have been a blow out if they had more than 80 fgas and less than 18 turnovers.

Jaylen Brown and Terry Rozier were a combined 2-10 and 0-4 from 3.  This has become such a recurring refrain it can't just be shrugged off as fatigue or failing to meet expectations, not ours nor theirs.  Jaylen is shooting 41% on the season and 28% from 3 and TRo is shooting 38.6% and 36% from 3.  In TRo's case his numbers are even a slight improvement from his career averages, so maybe that is just expectations not being met after last year's playoff run but, nevertheless, WTF is going on here with these two?!  Is this because they started drinking their own bath water after last year?  As I said last night on the Game On! thread, I think their youth is showing.  It's not injuries as far as I know.

We have a new 2018-2019 winner in the Elfriid Payton Wacko Hairstyle Sweepstakes, Reggie Bullock.

Post Game - Detroit - Away 28911775001_5979674174001_5979673721001-vs

We are now 19-11.  We are 9-8 on the road.  Do the math, 17 of our 30 games have been away.  Only the NY Knicks have played as many as 17 games on the road (and they're 5-12, we have a winning road record).  The season is 82 games long; 41 home, 41 away.  At some point the road will level out for us.

Rest will do us good.  A couple of nights sleeping in our own beds. We don't play until Wednesday vs Phoenix @ home.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401071112

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Well can’t win em all....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:55 pm

I'll try to make this brief.

A team that relies on 3 point shooting must shoot well or find other scoring options.

The Celtics lost 113-104.  That is a nine point loss.

Morris 0-6, Tatum 0-3, Hayward 0-4, Rozier 0-3, Brown 0-1

That's 0-17 from deep from 5 players.  If that combined group made 4-17 the Celtics would have won by 3.

I knew this game would be a challenge.  See my up next comments.  

The Celtics missed a lot of shots but at times they did not keep the ball moving to find the best shot.  

On defense we missed Al Horford.  Sometimes you have to go big and a combination of Horford and Baynes would have worked better.  But Al is not playing so you have to go with plan B.  Blake found himself isolated on smaller players all night.  I saw little help defense.  

The Celtics need to learn or figure out how to bring an effective double team.  Their switch all defense requires. it.  Secondly the Celtics could have used Williams more on Blake and kept Baynes on Drummond.  

To the Celtics credit they fought all the way to the final buzzer.

The Celtics have Sunday, Monday and Tuesday off before playing the Suns at home on Wednesday.  A few days off is a good thing for a team that has been on the road too much.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Bob, don't forget Smart's 3 steals as well. Jaylen may bnever get to replace Marcus in the starting lineup again, especially given how crappy he has played this season and how very well Marcus is playing. I love JB, but what a disappointment this year. I think it is 100% mental with him. How do you fix that? Conversely, Smart's game is 60% pure mental toughness.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:47 pm

I neglected to award a game ball.

It goes to Marcus Smart. The Celtics wasted a great game by Marcus. It was his best game of the season as he highs in both points and rebounds. And he had 3 assists and 3 steals and shot 5-7 from deep (wow) Best game of the year!
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:16 pm

A bad shooting night (17% on threes) and you lose in the NBA. On to the next game hopefully to start another winning streak.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:21 pm

Detroit, when in sync., presents match-up problems for the Celtics because Drummond and Griffen are aggressive - too tough inside for our starters. A healthy Horford and Baynes might keep it respectable - especially in the playoffs. IMO, Williams should play more with Smart, Irving, choice of forwards, and shore up the middle, make bonehead plays in winter to shine in spring. Worcester, I'm no shrink, but I think Brown is befuddled because everyone's supposed to shoot the 3, and he wants his shot closer to the rim where his athleticism, rather than pure marksmanship will give him better odds. I think Brad should tell him to worry less about the line and more about the hoop. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:46 pm

wideclyde wrote:A bad shooting night (17% on threes) and you lose in the NBA.  On to the next game hopefully to start another winning streak.

I think you meant 27% from 3.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:21 pm

Yes, Brown is befuddled. Sad.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:22 pm

Yes, Brown is befuddled. Sad.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:59 pm

dboss,

You are correct. 27% last night from deep.

Could have been a typo or a math error, but a mistake either way.

but still, 27% is not usually enough to win often in the NBA either.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:12 pm

wideclyde wrote:dboss,

You are correct.  27% last night from deep.

Could have been a typo or a math error, but a mistake either way.  

but still, 27% is not usually enough to win often in the NBA either.

That's right 27% is no where close to being acceptable
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:21 pm

I have a thought on the confidence level of both Brown and Rozier that goes back to the biggest game of their careers which was game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals last season against LeBron and the Cavs.

When the stakes were highest both of them had bad shooting performances from the 3 point line. Rozier was 0-10 (horrible) and Brown was 3-12 (below average). If they both simply had decent nights and not horrible nights from 3 we would have been in the Finals against the Warriors.

Sometimes coming up short performance wise on the big stage can have a lingering effect on a young player. It may be the case with these two?

Back to top Go down

Post by willjr Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:05 pm

"Sometimes coming up short performance wise on the big stage can have a lingering effect on a young player.  It may be the case with these two?

You are certainly spot on with that quote. 2 very good examples in the basketball world are Skip Dillard and Nick Anderson. While I am positive our kids won't be too that extreme (esp Dillard's) your point is valid.
willjr
willjr

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:08 pm

That's why I put extra, extra effort into my honeymoon night.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:52 pm

worcester wrote:That's why I put extra, extra effort into my honeymoon night.

Nowadays they have a pill for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:19 am

for some reason, this game seemed like a 3 point lead was like 10 points and a 7 point lead was like a 20 point lead and basically insurmountable.

Of course, throwing up enough bricks to build a shopping mall from deep didn't help either. Detroit just played better. Kept going to the basket...getting fouled....And 1's...broken record Boston...let it sink in. 2-ball, then 3-ball...not the reverse!

Threes have an EV of 1.05 points while the 2pt shots have and EV of .918 points which explains the plethora of the three ball shooting of late. (FT's come in with an EV of .764) I've long forgotten my math/probability courses but there has to be a way to calculate the maximum scoring output from at least those two variables of 2pt and 3pt shots taken/made, etc. I'm sure teams have already calculated it and know the right mix for their respective teams.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:39 am

Seems to me that free throws should count for more than 3 or 2 point attempts because they are made with so much more frequency. If the average for shooting 3's is .333% and  the average for shooting free throws is .750% would not the fritos result in more scoring in the long run, especially when added to the points gained from 2 point attempts? Usually there are more fouls on two points attempts driving to the basket than on 3 point attempts - except when James Harden is taking them.

Has anyone done the math on this? How often do two point attempts result in fouls given?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:20 am

EV on FT's is 1pt X .764=0.764.  I'm sure there has to be a multivariate model out there the NBA has run that would include 3's, 2's, Dunks, And 1's, Fouls leading to FT's, Technicals, etc. that shows the optimal mix.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:51 am

thanks db
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content