dboss
cowens/oldschool
tardust
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tatum's Season Empty Tatum's Season

Post by tardust Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:48 pm

Last year I watched Tatum's game and he did a lot of good things. He is not far off stat wise from last year, actually improvement in everything but shooting percentages and they aren't that bad. What is impressive is he does it without taking it to the rack for layups and getting foul shots. Last year he got to the rim some with his reverse right handed layup. The opponent started blocking that shot. I figured sure as heck he would develop a left handed layup during the season last year, didn't happen.

Then I heard he was working with KOME during the off season and I figured he would come back with a much better game going to the rim. Kobe screwed him up I guess. He is far worse to the naked eye. He gets it blocked when he lays it up and anyone is near him. Has he never heard of a pump fake or slamming it when someone is close? I sure hope he gets it improved next year because he is one of the worst finishers in the league IMO. And he is my favorite Celtic. Anyway, got that off my chest.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Tatum's Season Empty Re: Tatum's Season

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:37 am

He was MIA tonight

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:27 am

He has shot poorly in all 4 losses during December. He has shot well in 7 of 8 wins in December.

He is second on the team in FGA therefore his production is vital.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:38 am

I think maybe you are missing the point. I am pretty much pointing the finger at Tatum being a bad finisher. He does not use his left hand at all. Like I said all his stats are basically a little better or the same, except shooting percentages. He doesn't get the wide open shots as much. I am surprised hit shooting percentage is as high as it is. I watch a lot of different teams all the time. There are so many guys in this league that finish strong, with either hand and every team. If he is going to be the player we want he has got to improve this.

Last night for instance he shot the ball I think 3 times in the first quarter. Made one, missed one, and I think he had one blocked. Don't think he got another shot the first half. Brad has got to do more to get him involved more. We may get more open shots than anyone in the league but it doesn't make any difference when the players shooting them are shooting terrible. Rozier, Smart, Brown, and Hayward.

I am not sure what the answer is but our chemistry is not there. Players need to shoot shots that they are comfortable with. Smart is OK midrange and driving, Hayward just need patience, Brown is very effective when he is not just sitting on the 3 point line. He is pretty good attacking the rim. Rozier just plain dribbles too much without accomplishing anything. If he makes a 3 you can count on him shooting another one next time he gets it. We are losing how much Rozier is worth each game he plays. I know this was all over the place, just mind wandering in all directions.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:46 am

I agree Tatum needs to finish better, right now he’s more Alex English, he needs more muscle, functional strength. Jaylen is better, stronger finishing thru contact.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:13 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:He was MIA tonight

Cow,

He might as well as been in Miami last night for all the difference he made.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:15 pm

Also one of my favorite players on the team. And i agree, he ne gets his shot blocked too many times while attempting to finish. He also has a tendency to bobble, drop or kick it out of bounds.
This is definitely fixable and I’m confident that it’ll come. Might not be this year though.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:37 pm

Just the ups and downs of being a 20 year old - 35 or 40 years ago he would just be a college junior. He's way ahead of the curve.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:49 pm

Tough crowd.

Given his age and experience, I'm sure you'll find he's ahead of several HOF type players at a similar point; statistically as well as any other test you wish to apply.

I'll take the kid as is. The little details will no doubt fix themselves.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:31 pm

Tatum needs to realize there are times when he has to give the ball up. His shot gets blocked because he telegraphs it, he winds up and goes for the slam and bam....there is someone ther to shove it back at him.

He still needs to grow up a little, when he is good, he is very, very good, but when he is bad, he just goes away, period.

We are struggling because there is so much inconsistency on this team. How frustrating to see these guys go all out one night and go incognito another. Tatum, for the most part, starts the game off missing his shots. It seems to take him a while to get it in gear.
I love the kid, but somebody needs to work with him on the “head” part of the game. Does he watch himself on film? That should be enough to get him in the gym practicing
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:38 pm

Patience.

Guy is used to finishing with ease over everyone, last year teams didnt pay him much attention so he was able to still get away with some of his youth habits.  This year, everyone is focusing on him, so more attention and better defenders playing him.  

In comparing him to the best second year players in the NBA - he has VERY favorable stats, in spite of the fact that he is 1, 2 and even 3 years younger than some of those guys.

Tatum's Season Screen33
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:54 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:I agree Tatum needs to finish better, right now he’s more Alex English, he needs more muscle, functional strength. Jaylen is better, stronger finishing thru contact.

great call on the Alex English comparison, cowens.

I can't believe I never saw it myself, but YES Tatum's ceiling is probably Alex English.

and that DAMN good,for those who may not remember him.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:31 am

I don’t remember English taking the ball to the hoop with the same level of skill and power as Tatum but the silky smooth mid range game is certainly on par

Alex Was the leading scorer in the NBA in the 1980s think about that for minute a wildly underrated player
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:46 am

Alex actually was much better offensively than Tatum, but comparisons are unfair as Tatum is still 20. Tatum needs a better midrange game too to get to Alex E’s level, he was automatic.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:48 am

mrkleen09 wrote:I don’t  remember English taking the ball to the hoop with the same level of skill and power as Tatum but the silky smooth mid range game is certainly on par

Alex Was the leading scorer in the NBA in the 1980s think about that for minute a wildly underrated player

Right now Tatum doesn’t finish as well as I would like....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:49 am

For me, Tatum's fluctuating performances has be quite frustrating thi season especially after he seemed to have licked this issue by late last season.  His playoff performances last season were very smooth from game to game as I remember.

Returning to his early season up and down from last year has become very worrisome as it seemingly make no sense.  If he had not been able to smooth out his game last season, was again inconsistent as a second year man it would be much more understandable.  If this was the case all of us 'evaluators' would just be waiting for him to get his stuff together.

There has to be a reason. Wonder what it is?

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:00 pm

wideclyde wrote:For me, Tatum's fluctuating performances has be quite frustrating thi season especially after he seemed to have licked this issue by late last season.  His playoff performances last season were very smooth from game to game as I remember.

Returning to his early season up and down from last year has become very worrisome as it seemingly make no sense.  If he had not been able to smooth out his game last season, was again inconsistent as a second year man it would be much more understandable.  If this was the case all of us 'evaluators' would just be waiting for him to get his stuff together.

There has to be a reason.  Wonder what it is?

Clyde,

I think I've got your answer.

He's 20.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:26 pm

I'm getting older. I remember the 80's clearly. Well, OK, except for the years I was in college.

English was indeed then an outstanding player. In today's rear-view mirror, I think he is highly under appreciated.

Tatum is stronger around the rim, better on the defensive end, and, I believe, has shown enough to offer evidence he will surpass English in every aspect of the game. I'm not sure what there is on video, but go back and look for English as a second or third year player and make the comparison. I think you'll find Tatum is ahead of that mark. I wasn't partying as much those years, so I think my memory of those times is fair. Hey, don't judge, college was fun. Like you never snorted tequila.

We're talking about minor hiccups in the developing game of a kid that three seasons ago was getting fitted for his high school graduation cap and gown.

Keep watching. I am willing to offer up, with complete confidence, that the most important key to winning banner 18 not named Irving, is Tatum. Just ahead of Smart. My only question on Tatum so far is this; are we seeing the next Pierce, or something more?

He's 20.

Hang in there just a little.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:27 pm

Jason Tatum is no longer the 4th or 5th option on offense, as he was for most of the past season.  He was behind Irving, Horford and Brown.  Maybe he was even behind Rozier as well.  Besides, Tatum was a rookie, so no one had any video on him as a pro.  He excelled in the catch and shoot, especially being on the end of a four or five pass sequence.  He surprised us with an occasionally successful drive to the hoop, taking it from the three point line to the hoop with authority.

This year, Tatum could be arguably the 2nd option, behind only Kyrie in the pecking order.  Horford is fighting Father Time with both Brown and Rozier proving to be inconsistent for most of the season.  Morris could challenge him for the 2nd spot, but only because Morris has been hitting his shots and Tatum hasn't.  Maybe Tatum and Morris are 2A and 2B.  Hayward hasn't regained his spring nor his confidence, so he cannot be expected to carry the load.

Now, with the other team's defense concentrating their second best defender on Tatum, he doesn't get the space he needs to feel comfortable.  Tatum's handle still is still a little loose and with the closer defense on him, he loses the ball more in traffic.

So for the most part, we are just waiting for him to adapt to (and be comfortable with) the additional pressure he is getting from the other teams whenever he has the ball. Plus, as NY says, "He's 20."

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:33 pm

Where i think a lot of us make mistakes is comparing one players 3rd year (or whatever number we throw out) in the league to another player from the past and his 3rd year in the league.
I remember talking about that with the late Harvey Martin of the Dallas Cowboys and he stated that you cannot make an evaluation based on that criteria. “Player A may be at a certain level in their 3rd year but player A may have or have not peaked in his third year. (Again just using year 3 as a hypothetical). Same for player B. Theory being that every player has a peak level that may differ from other players. So to say Look at Tatum in year 2 compared to Player so and so in his 2nd year is not a fair and/or accurate evaluation.
I see and hear this example used many times it is very misleading.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:15 pm

1. He's 20 and isn't even halfway through his 2nd NBA season.

2. He's 20 and isn't even halfway through his 2nd NBA season.

3. He's 20 and isn't even halfway through his 2nd NBA season.

When I think of more reasons why we should be patient with Jayson Tatum I'll post them but for now here's his coach Brad Stevens' opinion:

Jay King @ByJayKing
about 2 hours ago
Brad Stevens said Jayson Tatum picks up concepts “as well as anybody I’ve been around.” “As far as growing, I think that he’s got unlimited growth ahead. That’s a good thing and a responsibility.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:24 pm

And I also will repeat my post of yesterday'

Re: Tatum's Season
Post by swish Yesterday at 2:37 pm

"Just the ups and downs of being a 20 year old - 35 or 40 years ago he would just be a college junior. He's way ahead of the curve."

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:13 pm

Damn he’s 3 years younger than my oldest son, 2 years older than my youngest son....he’s still a baby or either way I’m really getting old. Alot of you met my kids at the NY party at Professor Thoms in 09 season, they were so tiny back then....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:31 pm

This is gonna open a can of worms, there’s already a great young baby Euro player, a year younger than Tatum that is already better than Tatum in every area offensively and it’s not even close. Doncic looks a lot closer to being the next great iconic superstar forward than Jayson.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:03 am

I didn't get to see the game against Memphis but I read the Game On thread. I kept reading how Tatum was AWOL after the first quarter. After looking at the boxscore he only had 7 points on 50% shooting, 1-1 on threes, only 6 shot attempts, 8 rebounds (led team), 5 assists (possible career high?) , 4 steals (possible career high?) 1 block, and finsihed 3rd in +- for the game. Looked like he may have had a good impact on the game unless your just looking at scoring.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next