Talk turns to Jayson Tatum when trade winds are blowing

2 posters

Go down

Talk turns to Jayson Tatum when trade winds are blowing Empty Talk turns to Jayson Tatum when trade winds are blowing

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:09 pm

https://www.telegram.com/news/20190130/celtics-notes-talk-turns-to-jayson-tatum-when-trade-winds-are-blowing

Celtics notes: Talk turns to Jayson Tatum when trade winds are blowing

By Scott Souza, @Scott_Souza
Posted Jan 30, 2019 at 8:07 PM
Updated Jan 30, 2019 at 8:07 PM

BOSTON — Being selected to his second straight Rising Stars Challenge during NBA All-Star Weekend is further evidence that Jayson Tatum is considered one of the most promising young players in the league.

It is also the reason why, whenever the Celtics are mentioned being in the trade market for an NBA superstar, the primary name mentioned going out in the deal is going to be Tatum’s.

That is the case again this week as Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge reportedly mulls an offer for New Orleans Pelicans superstar Anthony Davis when Boston can trade for him this summer, if he is not dealt in advance of next Thursday’s trade deadline.

“I mean, it’s good to be wanted,” Tatum said of being involved in the rumors prior to Wednesday night’s game against the Charlotte Hornets at TD Garden. “I guess you could say that.

“I’m not a free agent. I don’t have any control. I just have to control what I can control, and go out there and play.”

Because of the so-called Derrick Rose Rule, the Celtics cannot trade for Davis during this season as long as Kyrie Irving is on the roster because teams are prohibited from having more than one player on a maximum rookie-extension contract.

But that hasn’t stopped the nationwide speculation about a potential Boston package for Davis this summer, after Irving presumably re-signs with the team as a free agent, as he said in October he has “every intention” of doing.

“The NBA is what it is because of the scuttlebutt and all the excitement around it,” Celtics coach Brad Stevens said. “Obviously, the game is great, and there are lot of good things about it. It captivates everybody’s attention for 12 months out of the year.

“As I said (Monday night), the unfortunate part of being in the middle of it is that you realize most of it is not true. But it’s still fun to listen to.”

Irving missed his second straight game Wednesday night due to a left hip strain and was not in the locker room before the contest. With no Celtics practices scheduled Thursday or Saturday, it means Friday at Madison Square Garden in New York City, or Super Bowl Sunday back at TD Garden, probably will be the first time Irving will speak to the media since the Davis trade request, and resurgent speculation about Irving’s public pledge to re-sign in Boston.

Stevens said before Wednesday’s game his guess is that Irving likely will travel to New York and be re-evaluated Friday morning to determine his availability for that night’s game against the Knicks.

“Ultimately, I don’t pay much attention to it,” Stevens said of the trade talk. “I know that guys don’t pay a lot of attention to it. But if they do, that wanes the older they get in this because it’s nonstop. If you do (pay attention), you just get caught up in it.

“We talk about things, basically, when there are things to be talked about. But other than that just move forward and try to focus on what we can do.”

Playing for Kyrie

Tatum on his selection for the Rising Stars Challenge team that Irving will coach: “I expected it. But I don’t take anything for granted. I’m excited and thankful just to be part of the weekend. Something I’ve always dreamed about as a kid just being part of All-Star Weekend.

“If you’re fortunate enough to be there, I think it’s better to be there than not.”

On having Irving as a coach for the game: “It will be pretty cool. We’ll figure something out. He’s probably going to let me do whatever I want.”

Stevens said he’s looking forward to seeing Irving and Tatum together for the game.

“First of all, it’s fun that Kyrie has a chance to coach him and be around him even more,” he said. “It’s cool that he decides to do that — to be with the first- and second-year players.

“Then I kind of feel bad (there was less fanfare) because we all thought it was a foregone conclusion that Jayson Tatum was going to be in that (Rising Stars) game. That just tells you the level he’s played at, how good he can be, and is right now.”

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Talk turns to Jayson Tatum when trade winds are blowing Empty Re: Talk turns to Jayson Tatum when trade winds are blowing

Post by NYCelt Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:31 pm

No surprise that Tatum is so widely coveted, and probably gets mentioned in any trade talks with Boston.

The last time Boston went for immediate satisfaction, the young star dealt was Al Jefferson. It worked, but opened an extremely short window, predicated on an aging star in KG.

I think Tatum has far more potential than Jefferson had. There are very few deals I would make where I would be willing to part with him. He may be the one to anchor the long term competitive team that's been on the Boston wish list since the 80's. May be better to build around Tatum from here.

In my view, anyway.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down