tjmakz
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Blockbuster Porzingis trade Empty Blockbuster Porzingis trade

Post by tjmakz Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:46 pm

David Morrow @_DavidMorrow
1 minute ago
So what we know so far: Mavs get: Kristaps Porzingis, Tim Hardaway Jr., Courtney Lee Knicks get: A future first, Dennis Smith Jr., DeAndre Jordan, Wes Matthews
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Blockbuster Porzingis trade Empty Re: Blockbuster Porzingis trade

Post by tjmakz Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:51 pm

In my opinion this is a great trade for NY and a good trade for Dallas.
NY will now have a core of Dennis Smith, Knox, Robinson, Trier, a probable top 3 pick and (2) max salary slots this summer.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:04 pm

WOW!

that IS a blockbuster deal.

Lakers standing in deck!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:06 pm

Wow. If Porzingis returns to form, Dallas will have two outstanding young guys with little overlap to build around.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:16 pm

This is a great move for NYK

As much as I like Porzingis he seems quite fragile to me

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:22 pm

tjmakz wrote:In my opinion this is a great trade for NY and a good trade for Dallas.
NY will now have a core of Dennis Smith, Knox, Robinson, Trier, a probable top 3 pick and (2) max salary slots this summer.

Knox and Smith are unproven as yet to me but should be at least rotational NBA players.

but if they pick up Zion or Barrett in the draft and can sign Durant and maybe Cousins or Thompson?

they'd certainly be on the upswing.

Dallas must have wanted KP bad to take on both those deals, I would think Lee will be a buy out or trade candidate. Maybe he get bought out and ends up with LeBron and Davis? there won;t be much else on that roster.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:29 pm

kdp59 wrote:
tjmakz wrote:In my opinion this is a great trade for NY and a good trade for Dallas.

Knox and Smith are unproven as yet to me but should be at least rotational NBA players.

but if they pick up Zion or Barrett in the draft and can sign Durant and maybe Cousins or Thompson?

they'd certainly be on the upswing.

Dallas must have wanted KP bad to take on both those deals,  I would think Lee will be a buy out or trade candidate. Maybe he get bought out and ends up with LeBron and Davis? there won;t be much else on that roster.

The Knicks are building their team on the unproven and unknown.
I really like Knox potential as both a 3 and 4.
Lee has one year left after this year and Hardaway has two years after this year.
I think DeAndre Jordan and Matthews will look to be bought out by the Knicks.
Either one of them would be a very good addition for a playoff team.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:38 pm

You guys are missing the point here. NY just dumped $35 million in salary
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:41 pm

dboss wrote:You guys are missing the point here.  NY just dumped $35 million in salary

Yes, they now will have about $70m in cap space, even after paying their 1st round pick.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:47 pm

tjmakz wrote:
dboss wrote:You guys are missing the point here.  NY just dumped $35 million in salary

Yes, they now will have about $70m in cap space, even after paying their 1st round pick.

So they likely get a top player in this draft and Dallas will owe them a 1st rounder as well. They can sign 2 max players this summer.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:49 pm

dboss wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

So they likely get a top player in this draft and Dallas will owe them a 1st rounder as well.  They can sign 2 max players this summer.

And Dennis Smith could turn into a quality player.
Smith had a triple double last night.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:00 pm

Knicks will need to be active to make this worth it. We saw a number of disappointed teams last year hoping FAs sign with them.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:17 pm

No guarantee Knicks can get/sign FA’s, if they don’t get Zion, and even if they do, is that a good enough situation to want to sign with Knicks?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:45 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:No guarantee Knicks can get/sign FA’s, if they don’t get Zion, and even if they do, is that a good enough situation to want to sign with Knicks?

I think you have to look at which teams have the money to spend.

I would take RJ Barrett in a NY Minute.

If I was NY I would go after Leonard, Durant, Klay Thompson and Kyrie Irving. All these guys deserve top dollars. Get 2 of those guys and you can become competitive overnight.

The next tier would be Kemba Walker, Tobias Harris, Demarcus Cousins and Khris Middleton. These guys are not $35 million per players. I think $25 mill gets you one of these guys.

If you could sign one from tier 1 and 1 from tier 2 you would be well on your way. Luck up and get a top pick and I think they are in the mix. Knox and Alonzo Tier are very good young players.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:04 pm

I wonder what bob heckler thinks? He was so big on Porzingus in that years draft....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:18 pm

What an incredible Big 3 Dirk, Doncic and Porzingus!!!

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:40 pm

This is a big risk trade for both teams.

Porzingis is The Unicorn, but The Unicorn has a history of injuries.  Can't run (or fly or whatever unicorns do) if you're injured.  He's also a RFA this summer.  That gives Dallas control, but over what?  Will Porzingis come back strong after an ACL?

Hardaway's a gunner.  An overpriced gunner, perhaps, but a gunner and in this league it's good to have a Vinny Microwave on your bench.

Jordan is a 2-dimensional player.  That's all he has ever been and that's all he'll ever be, there is no more upside to DeAndre Jordan.  Furthermore, he's a paint-space eater like Kanter.  One of the reasons why the Knicks went for Kanter was to have an inside-outside threat in Porzingis and Kanter.  Now, it's inside and inside.

I think Dennis Smith Jr will fit nicely into NY, like the way I think Hardaway will for Dallas.  They both fill a need that each team needs.

Both teams are mailing in the rest of this season.  Dallas doesn't have a center (Dwight Powell is not a center) and NY has no outside offense.  This is preface for next season.

But Cowens is right:  what a Big 3 Dallas will have, and they have a shot at an excellent draft pick!  Not a great shot, but a shot.

Here's the deal with Dallas' pick this year:
2019 first round draft pick to Atlanta
Dallas' 1st round pick to Atlanta protected for selections 1-5 in 2019, 1-5 in 2020, 1-3 in 2021 and 1-3 in 2022 and unprotected in 2023 [Atlanta-Dallas, 6/21/2018]

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:50 pm

Bob would you trade either of 2 J’s straight up for Porzingus?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:14 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Bob would you trade either of 2 J’s straight up for Porzingus?

Cow,

that's a tough one.  I love both the J's, and they're both healthy.  I think Porzingis, in Brad's system, would be unfreaking real.  If you think Horford fits into Brad's system well because he can shoot from outside as well as pass from the high post then Zinger is even better.  Also, there are more and more good wings coming out of college and Europe every year, so the opportunity to replace one of the J's with a clone is more likely than finding someone with the skills of Porzingis.

Are either of the J's "one-of-a-kind"?  No.  I'm watching them play regularly, as are you, and I'm seeing them grow into this league.  I don't watch Porzingis much to say either way, and one of the reasons for that is he can't stay on the court.  That's the kicker and it's a mule.

Given the choice between Davis and Zinger, I'm going with Davis.  Given the choice between Zinger and nobody then Zinger.  We need a replacement developing in the wings for 32 year old Al Horford and Williams isn't anywhere near that complete a player, but Davis is, and then some.

I might say "yes", but only because we have 2 of them, so if the price is only one of them we've still got the other.  Worth some risk, if you think of it like that.  Because of Porzingis' injury history I might ask for a draft pick from the Knicks too.  Hedge my bets a bit.

Fortunately, I'm not Danny.  I'd be popping Zantacs like they were free beer nuts.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:22 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:What an incredible Big 3 Dirk, Doncic and Porzingus!!!

Dirk who?

he's been done a couple years now.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:51 pm

kdp59 wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:What an incredible Big 3 Dirk, Doncic and Porzingus!!!

Dirk who?

he's been done a couple years now.

I know, was a joke....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:08 pm

Win/Win trade right there.

Dallas restocks their roster and gets younger. NY gets a promising young core, a high pick, and big cash to build with.

Both are also destination cities that will be attractive to FAs, draft picks, and future trade targets.

It will be shocking if NY, especially, doesn't snare a couple of higher profile FAs.

Two franchises that just put themselves in position to improve nicely over the next couple of seasons.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:15 pm

To paraphrase an old boss, you cant fall off the floor - so might as well go for it. In that case, the Knicks dumped some major salary and set themselves up for yet another reset.

But I am of the belief that the team that gets the best player, wins the trade and Porzingis is by far the best player on the move today. If he comes back healthy, Dallas just became a much better team.

NY is an attractive destination for a rich young star - but I agree with Cow, not sure they have enough to attract top tier FA talent with that roster. Guess we will have to wait and see.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:38 am

I don’t know how much this trade helps Knicks, but I know it will help Mavs bigtime, you put 2 elite talents like Doncic and Porzingus together something very good/special is about to happen for that franchise.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:28 am

if he's healthy.

bad wheels on a man that big can be a career issue.

maybe NY didn't like what they see in his rehab so far?
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next