worcester
bobc33
gyso
pete
10 posters

Go down

Interesting Article on Williams Empty Interesting Article on Williams

Post by pete Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:41 pm

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/02/11/back-in-time-enigmatic-robert-williams-iii/
pete
pete

Back to top Go down

Interesting Article on Williams Empty Re: Interesting Article on Williams

Post by gyso Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:59 pm

That was a nice read, thanks Pete.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:06 pm

Love reading the behind the scenes look at players!

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:56 pm

Rob Williams is the forgotten piece of the Celtics future. He will become a dominant force in the paint for us and help with our D on the 3 point shooters in a way that will really frustrate other teams. We have so much young talent. It's not yet time to quit on the Celts and become Phoenix Suns fans!

Last edited by worcester on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:33 am

KG was just in Garden recently, we’ve got to get him to coach Williams over the summer, as great as Giannis and Davis are, on defense KG was better than both . The way he teamed with Perk, roaming all over the floor, the ultimate help defender.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:13 am

I do not believe that Boston has a big man coach on this team. Under Coach Stevens i cannot think of any big guy that has been developed. Al, Theis and Baynes all came to the team with a lot of experience.

Brad has not been able to find minutes for Williams and that is too bad. The other night with 5:08 remaining in the 2nd QTR and Boston up 66-40, RW came in for AH and 2 minutes later he was back on the bench. I guess Al needed a blow.

Theis of course has been playing very well for Boston but he is a PF that is playing mostly center. I think with Baynes still out Boston could easily play Al, Daniel and Robert in a rotation at the 4/5 spot. Robert is not going to play this year and that is a shame
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:20 am

How could BS always find some time for KO and he can’t find some minutes for a talent like Williams...??? He should have already been developed as much as he can so that he can contribute in playoffs.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:22 am

You have a kid with a blocks per minute that easily leads the league and you sit him....okay

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:48 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:How could BS always find some time for KO and he can’t find some minutes for a talent like Williams...??? He should have already been developed as much as he can so that he can contribute in playoffs.

KO could stretch the floor which I guess was more important than not being able to play defense.

Different situation I think. Williams has not played enough minutes to develop any credible analytics. He is a gifted shot blocker and that is as clear as day

The gamble is that one of our bigs gets hurt and is not able to play in the post season. If AH was to get hurt, Baynes could step in but the offense will change more. Al is an excellent assist guy in the offense. Theis is more mobile and can probably be more effective offensively than Baynes but he is still too small for extended minutes in the middle. Williams is untested and has very little reps. Other than trying to throw a lob to him he has not had an opportunity to develop on offense at all.

I have only had one real concern with this team and that is the health and durability of Al Horford. Aron gives me some hope that he can provide the needed beef down low. Brad does not always use Aron as effectively as he can.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Williams can do one thing at this point in his career, one thing, block shots.

He can't shoot.  In fact, because everybody wants to throw a lob to him he's disrupting Brad's offensive schemes and flow.  Not his fault, it's Kyrie and all the passers who are obsessing on throwing lobs to him, but we don't see that with anybody but him and he is NOT the only Celtic that can do alley oops.  Call it the "Williams Effect".  He can't pass.  He regularly blows defensive rotations.  His assist-to-turnover ratio per minute, which is the same as overall of course, is not good (.9:1.4 = .64).  

He isn't just "undeveloped", he's raw.  He was an absolute steal at #27, perhaps the best late first rounder we've had, but he isn't there yet.  Watch him closely, as I have.  Watch how many times he's not in a good position to rotate on a penetration.  This is why he spends so much time in Maine.  That's learnable stuff, but you don't want it to be OJT when we're fighting for a home court playoff seed.  Do we really want to face Philly in the 1st round with them having the home court advantage just because we were in a rush to develop a player that is still years away?

He can learn spacing in Maine.  He can spend hours in the gym, with a coach, working on his shot so he can pnp (which he can't do now because he can't shoot outside of 3'. His fg% 3-10' is 40%. That's not good for a big at all).  If he is with the Celtics he won't get that hands-on training like he will in Maine because the coaches have other things they need to do and there's lots of travel time eating into every day.  We've all heard Brad and others bemoan how hard it is to schedule a full-blown non-game specific practice during the season, but that's exactly what Robert Williams needs.  He needs basic, not game film related practice.  ALL the Red Claw coaches have to do is teach their kids how to play.  

If the NBA is now a wing-driven perimeter-oriented game, Robert Williams is neither.  That doesn't mean he has no value, but it does mean he's not a key cog until he learns how to contribute at the perimeter and, if he's not a key cog, then he's not worth stressing over.  I agree with dboss, Al Horford's health is far, far more important than Robert Williams' development this year.  Might playing Williams more now take some of the stress off Al's body until Baynes comes back?  Sure, and that might be a legit reason to give him minutes and just accept the limitations he brings as the price for saving Al's body, but otherwise?  Robert Williams is a carny sideshow, he's not the main act under the Big Top and nor is he likely to be for a few years.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:47 pm

I disagree, have you seen how much Faried has helped the Rockets, especially without Capella? RW should have been getting more reps and you don’t run the same offense as with Al, you run different sets for different players, just like the offense with and without Kyrie. Or is that too much work for Brad?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by hawksnestbeach Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:10 pm

What I notice when Williams is in the game is how he alters the other team's offense. They know they can't drive on him, and so their easiest shots are gone. What I see when he's out of position is how quickly he gets into position when the need arises. Of course, he's raw in many ways, but he's a heck of a rim protector and this is our greatest need. If Kyrie and others are lobbing too much to him, tell them to lob less. Bob, yes, Horford's health is key and the more the plays, the less he'll have for the playoffs. Perfect reason to play Williams more. If Baynes were back, I'd like to see Williams play alongside Horford. He can shoot a little, according to his college stats. If you can shoot from 3 feet, you can shoot from 4, and 5, etc. The article points to Williams' small ego. The way to make it a little bigger is not to play him just 2 minutes a game. With that small ego, it's probably easier to sit him than a vet who feels more entitled. In a perfect world, Williams could take a few years to refine his game, maybe even develop a 3-point shot. But in a scramble for this year's playoffs, against a team with a monster in the middle like Philly, IMO we need him on the floor now. Hawk

hawksnestbeach

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:16 pm

Great article. Thanks for posting it Pete!

I agree that if it were my choice, Williams would be getting some pretty consistent minutes. I see him as being stronger on the boards and defensive end than Baynes or Theis, if he could get the time on the floor.

On the offensive end he's behind those other two bigs, but he can get to (and above) the rim, hence the lobs. He doesn't need to do anything from anywhere near the perimeter.

A starter? Not yet. Capable of quickly leap-frogging the two spots ahead of him? Yes. If he gets the playing time, easily by next season.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:21 pm

I think Williams does a very good job setting screens for his teammates. So that is two things that he can do. He also runs the floor well so that's 3 things.

You cannot develop a player if you do not play him.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:55 pm

dboss wrote:I think Williams does a very good job setting screens for his teammates.  So that is two things that he can do.  He also runs the floor well so that's 3 things.

You cannot develop a player if you do not play him.  

I agree 100%

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:59 am

Theis has been playing great, especially now that he is hitting threes at a tremendous percentage, but his verticality is limited. He's much more of a 4 than a 5. I know, I know , positionless basketball, but I'm old and so is my terminology. Interestingly, Theis has shrunk an inch. Last season he was listed at 6'9; this year 6'8. The only other guy I have seen listed at those precise heights at different times was a pretty good center named Dave Cowens. I'd like to see Williams play more too, but I don't think our votes will sway Stevens.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down