Thibodeau unofficially to Chicago.

+4
Sam
steve3344
mrkleen09
swish
8 posters

Go down

Thibodeau unofficially to Chicago. Empty Thibodeau unofficially to Chicago.

Post by swish Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:11 pm

Per ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5254978

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Thibodeau unofficially to Chicago. Empty Re: Thibodeau unofficially to Chicago.

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:45 pm

I find this so inappropriate in the middle of the NBA Finals.

I dont think it really makes a big difference to the team or the success of their game planning etc - but it just seems like the Bulls trying to steal some thunder for themselves. Coach Tibs should be focusing on the job he is being paid to do now.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:13 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:I find this so inappropriate in the middle of the NBA Finals.

I dont think it really makes a big difference to the team or the success of their game planning etc - but it just seems like the Bulls trying to steal some thunder for themselves. Coach Tibs should be focusing on the job he is being paid to do now.

That's why the Bulls have made no announcement, out of curtesy to the Celtics.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:26 pm

They shouldn't even be talking to him imo. Why cant they wait two more weeks for him to and his team to win or lose?
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by steve3344 Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:53 pm

mrkleen09 wrote:They shouldn't even be talking to him imo. Why cant they wait two more weeks for him to and his team to win or lose?

The NBA draft is on June 24th and free agency starts one week later and teams need to know who their coach is weeks before then. That's the way it's done and you're about the only one who seems to have a problem with it. The Celtics certainly understand which is why they made Thibs available for interviews so as not to hinder his well-deserved future aspirations. Stop letting nonsense bother you.

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:14 am

It's an unfortunate timing sequence,and I have problems with it too. It potentially penalizes teams that worked hard to go deep into the playoffs and risk distractions to their guys who may be recruited while they're still in the race for a championship. Frankly, I feel it's a potential conflict of interest.

I'd prefer they put a hold on all such negotiations until the day after the Finals end to ensure a level playing field, with any infringement being labeled as tampering. If that's not long enough for the new coaches to be in place before the draft, where is it written in stone that the draft can't be held a week later?

Perhaps I'm jaded, but I feel the NBA Championship is the highlight of the NBA season. I resent any possible dilution of the focus of anyone associated with any team in the running.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:10 am

The playoffs will end on June 17, if it goes out to seven games. There is three full weeks between then and the end of the July moratorium, which is "a period during the month of July in which teams may not sign most free agents or make trades."

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q92

The problem with the moratorium is that teams can negotiate with free agents starting July 1st. With the current rules, the team needs to have it's coaching staff in place in order to fill out the team.

What makes this worse is the fact that the NBA draft takes place on June 24th, which is just one week after the potential end of the playoffs.

The NBA should push this re-tooling for the next season back a little so that the current season ends without distractions affecting the teams still in the chase for the championship.

Here is a possible timeline:

June 17: Season ends
July 1: NBA draft
July 8: Free agents can be signed and trades can be made.

As you can see, this doesn't change when free agents can be signed. It just pushes back the time that negotiations can be started.

That leaves two weeks (after the season) to get the coaching staff together and prepare for the draft. As you know, trades can be made during this period so that teams can move up (or down) in the draft. The trade for Ray (and Glen Davis) was made during this time.

The "moratorium" then kicks in, which gives the coaching staff one week for them to digest the results of the draft and prepare for the free agent signing season.

I see no reason why the whole thing cannot be put off for an additional week. The new salary cap numbers don't get calculated and published until July 7th (ish) anyway, so true negotiations with hard numbers have to wait until after the sal-cap is set.

The final change would let the teams have two weeks to get staff in place. The new timeline looks like this:

June 17th - July 1st: Assemble coaching staff. (two weeks)
July 1st - July 8th: Prepare for the draft on the 8th. (one week)
July 8th - July 15th: Prepare for the free agent signing season and start discussing trades. (one week)
July 15th - October: Prepare for the next training camp (11 weeks, more or less)

Why marginalize (or dilute) the end of the last season in order to get a jump start on the next? It sounds like a no-brainer to me.

gyso

PS: How did Thibs interview with New Orleans, Chicago and the Nets? Did he have to travel to the interviews? If so, then that creates even more reasons to put off this kind of stuff until after the last season is over.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:51 am

gyso,

I think they came to him. Distracting, true, but unless you want to develop some bad blood with your employees you shouldn't try to prevent their career paths. Ainge stopped Thb from interviewing during the playoffs last year (or was it after 2008?), doing it twice would not be appreciated and Thib's contract is up after these playoffs.

Head Coaches like to have something to say about who a team is drafting too. So having one already on board before the draft makes a big difference. One week is NOT a lot of time to prepare especially when you're dealing with players that are all new to you. If Thib was going to be the next head coach of the Celtics, that'd be something else.

Expecting teams to wait until after the finals before they even get to talk to a key prospect makes it tough for that prospect to advance. I absolutely agree with Sam and the others about how these things can be distractions and, therefore, not appreciated but such is life. If half the stories I've heard about Thib are true, he is SUCH a workaholic that he's putting in more hours than anybody else and still has some time to consider his future options.

Let's hope so.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:07 am

According to ESPN - Chicago:

Although an official announcement will have to wait until after the NBA Finals, Boston Celtics assistant coach Tom Thibodeau has accepted an offer to become the next head coach of the Chicago Bulls, a source told ESPNChicago.com on Saturday.

Thibodeau's deal is worth approximately $6.5 million, with two years guaranteed plus a team option, according to multiple media reports.
bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:46 am

steve3344 wrote:Stop letting nonsense bother you.

Thanks for the advice Laughing
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:24 pm

Bob,

One of the good things about life is that many things about it can be changed for the better. I learned long ago not to accept things just because that's the way life is. You know the old expression: Life sucks...and then you change it. lol.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm of the "I don't like it either" school of thought. Distraction yes. But it is what it is.
IMO: Tom is/was a great assistant. His market value is probably at its peak. Good for him. Celtics may feel he is a great assistant and no more. If Doc leaves this year DA will find the C's someone worthy. He stuck with Doc and took a lot of flak. I trust his ability to either find a way to keep Doc or someone else.

Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:32 pm

I'm sure the Celtics will survive long-term. At the moment, I care only about anything that could possibly impact the Celtics during the next nine hours. Absolutely riveted to that span of time.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:33 am

Doc deserves some credit here. He knows Tom is a hot commodity. Yes, its inconvenient and the NBA set it up this way and it just so happens this hot potential head coach's team is in the finals producing the worst possible scenario. Letting him discretely interview was the best, most respectful thing to do. The team was told and knew way in advance.

I blame DA for this as well. The fact that he didn't have a succession plan in place for him in Boston after Doc exits, which will probably be after the season regardless of outcome and just nonchalantly says "Yeah, he probably gone" just rubbed me the wrong way. What better segue for Tom to absoleutely put his master plan in motion than to inherit the kingdom.

If he goes to CHI and LeBron shows up, then it really doesn't work for Tom. Give where he came from with Boston and having to be a head coach answering to head coach LeBron is a trainwreck waiting to happen. Tom will knock down the wall a little bit, but further disaster for LeBron, which I like, at the expense of Tom, which I don't like, implies this will be Mike Brown, Jr.

But we will have to see how this plays out. One piece is now in place.

Last edited by dbrown4 on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add ons)
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:17 am

Maybe the reason why future HOFers like KG/Pierce/Allen and great coaches like Thib and Ray love playing for Doc is because he is such a class act.

Sometimes, being a class act bites you in the ass. Most of the time, though, it's an asset.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:37 am

I think Doc can handle the nibbling of his bum. (Alright, bobh, impress me with recalling that quote (modified) sans the internet!!) Shouldn't be too hard! Another hilarious scene.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down