I remember Sam most while posting when...

+2
sinus007
dbrown4
6 posters

Go down

I remember Sam most while posting when... Empty I remember Sam most while posting when...

Post by dbrown4 Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:25 am

NY Celt and I were on another thread recently and I had this thought.  Since this is the real time of year Sam used to look forward to, (although some may argue that the whole year with anything related to the Celtics were his favorite time!), I thought it would be fitting if we did something to recognize and honor him here in the stretch run leading to the playoffs of his beloved Celtics that have a very good chance of hanging up yet another banner this season and into the foreseeable future.    

My thought with NYCelt was I remember Sam most while posting when I construct a longer than normal post.  Sam had a way of writing that was second to none.  Most of you know I tend to go on a little bit more than normal.  I've told my daughters and sons it is because I have a lot to say and I can't leave a word out!  Every word is important.  Sam was able to do this with riveting ease.  

For Sam, a simple one sentence answer or response was not in his DNA.  But every post, no matter how long was truly riveting.  There was never a wasted word and everything was so well thought out.  It was always an honor to have him answer your post.  I would deliberately engage him just so I could get more posts back!  That's probably the salesman coming through in me.  Can't leave my work at the office.    

I regret more than anything never meeting him in person.  His untimely departure is a glaring road sign to all of us not to take anything or more importantly anyone for granted in this lifetime.  This board would regularly have annual weekends with a home Boston game the centerpiece.  I never took advantage of those and of course Sam was the ringleader.  That for me was unfortunate not taking advantage of those.    

If someone (or more) who knew him very well could revisit his life and contributions, that would be awesome!  I remember his obituary some (actually just googled it), but time has eroded some of my memories as well.

I know this thread will go in different directions as do all of our threads but Sam was one of the most inspirational writers and people I have ever come across.  While my posts don't hold a candle to his, I think of him and his writing style all the time.    

db

P.S. I found the original thread and have posted it below.

I believe all of us that have been around for a while on this site always have Sam in the backs of our minds.  Of course, none of us are Sam and prose anything like his eloquent style but we were each extremely touched by his existence and life and hopefully some part of him comes through in all of our posting with his ongoing legacy.  I do know one thing about Sam if he were alive today....he would not have a Twitter Account!

I believe I remember him most in my posts when (wow, I'm really having difficulty trying  to think about this as there are so many ways he influences(d) my writing style) making a longer post.  Most of mine are rather loquacious but I try to make each word important like he did.  He could go on for pages and you simply could not put it down!  My kids say I use texting wrong because I go on more than what is considered normal length these days for texting!!  I tell them, well I have to text that much because every word I say is important!   Of course, I get the, "Yeah, whatever!  You still text too much!"    

db  

P.S.  This actually may be a good idea for a thread dedicated to Sam.  "I remember Sam most in my posts when...I'll prep it with our thread here, but you get the picture.  Sound like a good idea, NYCelt?
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

I remember Sam most while posting when... Empty Re: I remember Sam most while posting when...

Post by sinus007 Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:46 am

Db,
Yes, Sam did have knack for writing.
Thanks for your post.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

I remember Sam most while posting when... Empty Re: I remember Sam most while posting when...

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:17 am

I did get the pleasure of meeting Sam/Dick a few times, as did my 2 sons. My kids absolutely loved him, he was so gracious and a class act!! Was a statistician and knew business inside and out as well.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:53 am

Sam's favorite cities were Paris and San Francisco. Whenever Sam and his wife came out to San Francisco we'd get together for dinner. And then there was the Celtic game the local board members watched together in San Francisco. That was a glorious event for me because not only did I get to hang with Sam and others but also with our friend Jeb. My avatar is a youthful Jeb. I miss both of them deeply.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:55 am

dbrown,

Yes, it's a very good idea.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:25 pm

What was his connection with the Celtics during the 60's? Was he employed by them at the time? I know he followed them around and went to most if not all their practices.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:36 pm

dbrown4 wrote:What was his connection with the Celtics during the 60's?  Was he employed by them at the time?  I know he followed them around and went to most if not all their practices.  

db

Not employed by them, but maybe he should have been!

I think you could describe Dick as an Early Adopter. As the NBA grew in popularity, and the sport took off professionally, he was a devoted Boston Red Sox fan ready to cheer for any home town team. Back then professional players were approachable, not removed and protected like today. Dick was personal friends with some of The Sox, like Bobby Doerr. Hanging around practices, and actually traveling with The Celtics in the fledgling NBA, he also befriended Sam Jones. Their long friendship is, of course, what led to his online avatar handle, and this forum's name.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:53 pm

Dbrown4, Sam had adopted some black children in the race troubled Boston of the 60's and was Sam Jones next door neighbor. That is led to a lifelong friendship between them, and Sam got quite close with the Celts as a result, a pleasure for him since he'd already been a devout fan.

As for excessive loquaciousness Dbrown4, there's a 12 step program for that. It's called Alanonandonandon.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:39 am

worcester,

Where do I sign up?!! Thank you for sharing that about Sam. I did not know that about the adoptions. Or that Sam was actually next door neighbors with Sam Jones. That's awesome!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down