sinus007
steve3344
jrleftfoot
cowens/oldschool
mrkleen09
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

ROUND #1 PLAYOFF > POST GAME INDY - HOME -  IND 91, BOS 99 Final  - Page 2 Empty Re: ROUND #1 PLAYOFF > POST GAME INDY - HOME - IND 91, BOS 99 Final

Post by worcester Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:39 pm

Larry Bird did not just take over games. He took over the entire league. Here's a list of his highest scoring games vs. other top Celtics scorers.

https://www.nba.com/celtics/history/stats/individual-scoring-highs

Kyrie's best -

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/summer-090617-kyrie-irving-top-career-performances
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

ROUND #1 PLAYOFF > POST GAME INDY - HOME -  IND 91, BOS 99 Final  - Page 2 Empty Re: ROUND #1 PLAYOFF > POST GAME INDY - HOME - IND 91, BOS 99 Final

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:53 pm

Love you Worcester!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:55 pm

worcester wrote:
jrleftfoot wrote:Does anybody still think  they are better without Irving?

Terry Rozier's mother.

When things are going sideways we tend to search for cause and effect.

Kyrie has been an easy target.

He is as quirky as they come.  The words flow out of his mouth in no particular semblance of order and remind me that is the way he dribbles the basketball.  His instincts are instantaneous.  It is pretty remarkable.  He gets the wrath of fans when his mouth starts dribbling out words that seem unconnected in the same sentence.

But know this.  Kyrie wants to win and expects to win as he has been a great player all of his life and at every level.

In that package lies an immensely skilled basketball player who has perfected his craft by putting in countless hours of work.  He makes unbelievable shots because he practices those shots.  

He is growing into his leadership position on this team and I for one am willing to give him the space to get there.

In the meantime I suggest that we just sit back and watch him play.  He is a rare talent and he is part of our team.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:57 pm

Love you too Rosalie, and all other green blooded Celtics fans...

Kyrie is stepping up for us now. I hope he continues to dazzle, but he is not quite in the firmament of past Celtics stars yet. That said, I am rooting for him to become an all-time Celtics great.

Speaking of greats, watch Netflix special on Ted Williams. Wow. What a hitter and what a guy. Foibles and all, he was a mensch, an unsung mensch.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:58 pm

I don't think anyone really thought that we were better without Kyrie. We just wanted him to be more of a team player, making his team mates better. No one ever questioned his ability to put the ball in the hole. He is one of the 5 best in the league at that. Sometimes you need more than that from your leader. When he is making shots like this past game its easy to see how good he can be. Having another player get 26 points helped. When Kyries shot is not falling, that is when he is has to trust his team and help make them better. At this point as Kyrie goes so goes the Celtics. Lets hope its enough.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:42 pm

tardust wrote:I don't think anyone really thought that we were better without Kyrie.  We just wanted him to be more of a team player,  making his team mates better. No one ever questioned his ability to put the ball in the hole.  He is one of the 5 best in the league at that.  Sometimes you need more than that from your leader.   When he is making shots like this past game its easy to see how good he can be.  Having another player get 26 points helped.  When Kyries shot is not falling,  that is when he is has to trust his team and help make them better.   At this point as Kyrie goes so goes the Celtics.   Lets hope its enough.

Actually I read several threads that stated the Celtics are better without Kyrie. Even so he is putting career assist and rebounding numbers. But he is not a pass first PG. He is an offensive machine. He makes his team better because the focus from other teams is to stop him.

I believe his leadership skills are being developed in terms of how he interacts with his teammates and the coaching staff. How he frames comments to the media and other communications. So he has work to do.

I can wait for him to learn leadership skills. In the meantime he has had an impressive year for Boston and he appears to be focused in the playoffs on helping the team win games.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:10 am

Good one worcester
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:52 am

dboss wrote:
tardust wrote:I don't think anyone really thought that we were better without Kyrie.  We just wanted him to be more of a team player,  making his team mates better. No one ever questioned his ability to put the ball in the hole.  He is one of the 5 best in the league at that.  Sometimes you need more than that from your leader.   When he is making shots like this past game its easy to see how good he can be.  Having another player get 26 points helped.  When Kyries shot is not falling,  that is when he is has to trust his team and help make them better.   At this point as Kyrie goes so goes the Celtics.   Lets hope its enough.

Actually I read several threads that stated the Celtics are better without Kyrie.  Even so he is putting career assist and rebounding numbers.  But he is not a pass first PG.  He is an offensive machine.  He makes his team better because the focus from other teams is to stop him.  

I believe his leadership skills are being developed in terms of how he interacts with his teammates and the coaching staff.  How he frames comments to the media and other communications.  So he has work to do.  

I can wait for him to learn leadership skills.  In the meantime he has had an impressive year for Boston and he appears to be focused in the playoffs on helping the team win games.

lots of kudos for Irving right now and he deserves them for sure. Lets see how far we as a team go in this years playoffs.

Last year as I recall we played in the east finals without Irving.

If he takes us farther, then I'll gladly eat crow, until then I stand by my thoughts that we are better without him as a team.

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:18 am

worcester wrote:Larry Bird did not just take over games. He took over the entire league. Here's a list of his highest scoring games vs. other top Celtics scorers.

Kyrie's  best -

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/sidebar/summer-090617-kyrie-irving-top-career-performances

Not sure of this list as to if this should be included

I remember this one well

http://www.espn.com/classic/s/moment010401havlicek.html
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:32 am

beat wrote:
worcester wrote:Larry Bird did not just take over games. He took over the entire league. Here's a list of his highest scoring games vs. other top Celtics scorers.

Kyrie's  best -

Not sure of this list as to if this should be included

I remember this one well

http://www.espn.com/classic/s/moment010401havlicek.html
Hondo used to routinely play 45-48 minutes a game and at a breakneck pace that would wear out whoever was attempting to cover him....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:52 am

kdp59 wrote:
dboss wrote:

Actually I read several threads that stated the Celtics are better without Kyrie.  Even so he is putting career assist and rebounding numbers.  But he is not a pass first PG.  He is an offensive machine.  He makes his team better because the focus from other teams is to stop him.  

I believe his leadership skills are being developed in terms of how he interacts with his teammates and the coaching staff.  How he frames comments to the media and other communications.  So he has work to do.  

I can wait for him to learn leadership skills.  In the meantime he has had an impressive year for Boston and he appears to be focused in the playoffs on helping the team win games.

lots of kudos for Irving right now and he deserves them for sure. Lets see how far we as a team go in this years playoffs.

Last year as I recall we played in the east finals without Irving.

If he takes us farther, then I'll gladly eat crow, until then I stand by my thoughts that we are better without him as a team.

kdp59

I believe the discord that has developed in some circles about the Celtics being better without Kyrie is probably more related to his attitude or what people perceive is his attitude. He has consistently played well all year and he played well last year right up to the time that he got injured.

However I would caution not to use last year's playoffs or even last year's team as a marker to evaluate this team.

I think much of the disappointment expressed by so many Celtics fans were predicated on high hopes and false expectations.

The chemistry issues experienced this year were primarily the results of changes to the team. New roles had to be established and a key new player had to be integrated. Kyrie has always played well in the playoffs but it will take a lot more than him playing well for this team to stick around.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:12 am

Hondo used to say that he knew he was in basketball shape when his resting heart rate was 40. Forty! What an amazing athlete and competitor. And a Buckeye!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2