Ex-Celtics assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry explains decision to leave team

2 posters

Go down

Ex-Celtics assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry explains decision to leave team Empty Ex-Celtics assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry explains decision to leave team

Post by bobheckler Sat May 11, 2019 10:43 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/ex-celtics-assistant-coach-micah-shrewsberry-explains-decision-leave-team?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs

Ex-Celtics assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry explains decision to leave team

By Justin Leger

May 10, 2019 8:24 PM

As the Celtics' 2018-19 season came to an end, so did Micah Shrewsberry's tenure as the team's assistant coach.

After six seasons in Boston, Shrewsberry left the C's to rejoin the Purdue coaching staff. While some may speculate that Shrewsberry's departure was a result of the tumultuous, disappointing Celtics season, that isn't the case. He simply prefers college basketball to the NBA.

Shrewsberry explained his decision in an interview with Dustin Dopirak of The Athletic.

"My personality is more geared toward the college side," Shrewsberry told Dopirak. "I’m a relationships guy. If you would ask anybody that’s run across me, I value relationships, continuing and maintaining and having those. That’s something you get in college. You recruit a guy from the time he’s 16 years old. You see them through college and then after college. Seeing the guys you’ve coached and seeing them come back and have their families and watch them grow from who they were in high school to men, it’s just a different deal than you get in the NBA. You get a chance to build relationships in the NBA. The guys I had a chance to spend time with in Boston, I’m always going to value the guys that we had on our team, but we had a lot of guys on our team. There could be guys that are there with you for 10 days. They could be with you for a month. They could be with you for six months, a year, six years. But you never know. That’s hard."

Shrewsberry returning to college is no surprise as he was a candidate for the Georgia State head coaching job last month, but declined to interview for the position. He also was in the running for an opening at UMass two years ago.

In the interview, Shrewsberry goes on to reflect on his time with the Celtics and describes their letdown of a season as "a learning experience."

The Celtics haven't indicated what they'll do to replace Shrewsberry, but it's undoubtedly a tough loss.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Ex-Celtics assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry explains decision to leave team Empty Re: Ex-Celtics assistant coach Micah Shrewsberry explains decision to leave team

Post by wideclyde Sat May 11, 2019 4:03 pm

From far on the outside, this departure seems fairly logical. He has not been around long enough to get any consideration as a head NBA coach so a couple of successful years of college assisting may get him a good opportunity at a top level college head job down the road.

Good luck to him.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down