jrleftfoot
Ktronic1
dboss
RosalieTCeltics
gyso
bobheckler
12 posters

Go down

Terry Rozier openly discusses challenges of playing with Kyrie Irving Empty Terry Rozier openly discusses challenges of playing with Kyrie Irving

Post by bobheckler Tue May 14, 2019 1:00 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/terry-rozier-openly-discusses-challenges-135851913.html

Terry Rozier openly discusses challenges of playing with Kyrie Irving

Darren Hartwell, NBC Sports Boston
2 hours 59 minutes ago

Want direct insight into the Boston Celtics' roller coaster of a season?

Just talk to Terry Rozier.

The Celtics guard has been candid all season about the frustrating reality of returning to a backup role behind Kyrie Irving, and how re-integrating Irving and Gordon Hayward into the lineup has led to strife in Boston's locker room.

In an interview Tuesday on ESPN's "Get Up!", Rozier openly discussed what made Irving challenging to play with at times.

"He's a great guy. Great leader. You just have to adjust to his style," Rozier told host Mike Greenberg. "Whatever Kyrie wants done, he's gonna show it. That's what he wants done. And you have to adjust to his style of play and how he goes about every game every day."

Rozier said he believed his teammates got used to Irving's leadership style by the end of the season. But in Rozier's eyes, there still was an on-court disconnect between how the Celtics practiced with Irving and how they played.

"We would come in the game and it would be a different game plan than what we kind of expected and kind of went through in practice, so it was different," Rozier admitted.

"We had the first five and then we had the second five (in practice). And when we go out there, I feel like a lot of guys would be mixed up. It wouldn't be the first five and the second five.

"So, what we'd be talking about in practice is not what we went through in the game. It was like, all right, we're going to keep Kyrie out there and put the other guys out there with him, and we're going to figure it out."

That would seem to be either an indictment of head coach Brad Stevens, who had to manage egos and make some difficult lineup decisions on a crowded roster, or Irving, who perhaps undermined parts of Stevens' game plan when he took the floor. In any case, the C's never found the right formula, losing four straight to the Milwaukee Bucks to bow out of the second round of the NBA playoffs in five games.

Irving is expected to hit unrestricted free agency this offseason, while Rozier will become a restricted free agent. Based on the latter's comments, it's hard to see the two playing on the same team in 2019-20.

Here's video of Rozier's full interview with Greenberg:

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Terry Rozier openly discusses challenges of playing with Kyrie Irving Empty Re: Terry Rozier openly discusses challenges of playing with Kyrie Irving

Post by gyso Tue May 14, 2019 1:18 pm

Rozier talks like he is playing hockey, where entire lines change at the same time. That is not how it works in basketball. In the NBA, players come off the bench one or two at a time. So to say first five or second five is crazy.

In the playoffs, the rotation gets cut to 7 or 8 players, so that makes his statement more stupid than crazy.

As far as practicing one way and playing another, I don't doubt that Kyrie did that.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Terry Rozier openly discusses challenges of playing with Kyrie Irving Empty Re: Terry Rozier openly discusses challenges of playing with Kyrie Irving

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue May 14, 2019 7:27 pm

I watched this interview three times, and each time he sounded stupider than the one before. He seems to think he is in the drivers seat here, well Terry, Danny still has something to say about this.

GM’s who watch stuff like this have to be shaking their heads. Here is a guy who is determined to get a starting job. How many of them are out there??? How many teams would have traded for him for the same role he has here?

I guess it is just that this guy has rubbed me the wrong way for a long time. He is so taken with himself that he can’t see the forest thru the trees. Last years playoff run did nothing but give him a big head. Personally, as I have said before if he took advantage of the time given to him this year he would have forced Brad’s hands into playing him more and more. But, he didn’t. There were times when he did not even deserve to be in the game. He was a huge disappointment. He wants it handed to him, I just have no use for this kid. His mouth now is going on and on. He is the live interview, throwing anyone he wants to under the bus like he is a seasoned veteran on his way to the hall of fame. He made his own bed, lie in it Terry
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue May 14, 2019 8:00 pm

I saw another interview today and he said it would not be fair to point the finger at anyone in particular.

He wants a starting PG job. The interviewer mentioned that the Knicks are interested and he said that he would not mind playing for them.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue May 14, 2019 8:14 pm

So what happens if they sign Kyrie???

This story gets more ugly as time goes by. I dislike finger pointing, and he did point the finger right at Hayward in the interview I saw.
Really? I know that this was an issue, but like I said from the beginning if he made the most of the time he was given, he would have gotten more time, they would have had no choice.

I heard Phoenix was a possibility. Blakely made a remark tonight on television that puzzled me. He said Rozier deserved a big pay day???
A big pay day??? Why???
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue May 14, 2019 8:25 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:So what happens if they sign Kyrie???

This story gets more ugly as time goes by. I dislike finger pointing, and he did point the finger right at Hayward in the interview I saw.
Really? I know that this was an issue, but like I said from the beginning if he made the most of the time he was given, he would have gotten more time, they would have had no choice.

I heard Phoenix was a possibility.  Blakely made a remark tonight on television that puzzled me.  He said Rozier deserved a big pay day???
A big pay day??? Why???

Blakely is a moron.

For those that got the hots for getting rid of Kyrie, what's plan B, C or D?

Plan A is to keep him according to Danny.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Tue May 14, 2019 9:38 pm

Rozier who I happen to like or should I say liked is literally writing a check his ass can’t cash. Why? Because he thinks he's better than he really is. I’m sure any smart GM knows Rozier’s value as a player and if he's making the rounds letting everyone know that he's pissed about the role he had to play and “how he was treated”, he's making himself worth less. I guy with so little tenure in the league who shoots barely 40% is believing his own bullshit. Terry’s, you’re a nice player but you’re not who you think you are.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue May 14, 2019 10:59 pm

Much ado about nothing . He's not coming back. Played hard on D. Rebounded. Not a good decision maker. Horrible shooting mechanics . I wish him well. Hope somebody pays him .It won't be Boston.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed May 15, 2019 9:01 am

Ya have to read between the lines of what Terry was talking about. His description of what was going on was delivered in measured words.

He is not stupid as one post suggest, on the contrary very smart and cagey.   He's not about to come out and blast Irving directly, but he provided subtle hints about him.  If he blasted him, it would diminish his value in free agency.  People would be quick to call him a rat and not a loyal teammate.  

As for Stevens, he probably was walking on egg shells the whole season with Irving.

If people think there is no life for the Celtics beyond Irving, I would suggest you get a life.  There are plenty of options for Danny, especially with what happened in the draft last night.  AD isn't walking through that door that unless a miracle happens.

One thing for sure, I do not want to go through the season with the drama queen Irving stirring the pot!  It would destroy the team.  I will never forget the no show of Irving in game 7 of the eastern finals...........ya I had sinus surgery that day............what you schedule your surgery knowing the schedule and a game 7!  Right!   Irving is for Irving and I hope the door does hit him in the ass on the way out the door!  Seeee Yaaaaa!

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Wed May 15, 2019 9:31 am

I am sure that whatever Rozier is saying/implying relating to Irving has been thought of by many (most?) of the Cs roster, but Rozier comes off as the bad guy because he is the one speaking out.  And, by being the one speaking out, many of his shortcomings (and, he does have some) as a player are being much more tightly examined.

I like Rozier, but I do not think that he is, at least not yet, the complete player that it appears that he thinks he is.  In time, he could prove me completely wrong, and there can be no complaining that he thinks that he is already really good because if he doesn't think in those terms he may never get to where he wants to go.

Never having been a pro athlete in any sport, but having known a couple of them and heard and read about professional athletes for many years there seem to be a strong level of confidence/cockiness that runs through all of them.  Some guys seem to let it show more than others who are smoother with their thoughts, actions and words.  Rozier, at this time, may not be helping himself with his words, but that does not take away from his wants and desires to be a starting point guard in the NBA.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 am

To make things even funnier, Stephan A said while Rozier was on his show that Rozier deserves a very big payday. He also said that Rozier would be the starting guard for 1/3 to 1/2 if the NBA teams right now. I haven't looked at it but I would guess there are only 5 at the max he could start on. He is basically a lifetime below 40% FG shooter.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed May 15, 2019 9:42 am

He can’t shoot/score or pass consistently enough, as athletic as he is, his defense should be better, he would have gotten more time, but he couldn’t produce....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed May 15, 2019 10:09 am

Burning a bridge when you don't own it is stupid.

Whining about playing time compared to two all-stars is stupid.

Whining about usage and touches compared to two all-stars is stupid, especially when you are, well, wrong.

Terry Rozier openly discusses challenges of playing with Kyrie Irving Stupid10

Thinking that NBA teams play a first 5 and a second 5 separately in games is stupid.

Not being a team player and talking all "I me me mine" on a contract year is stupid.

On and on.  I think he is getting some bad advice from his agent, or maybe he is ignoring the agent.  Which is . . . stupid.

I hope he goes to an small market Eastern team so we can beat his ass over and over for the rest of his career.  I am done with him.  We are talking Mark Blount territory here.

Terry Rozier wants to leave Celtics if Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward return

https://sports.yahoo.com/terry-rozier-wants-leave-celtics-160343768.html

Okay, I think it is time to take my meds now.   drunken

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed May 15, 2019 10:38 am

GYSO

So you completely hold harmless Pee Wee Irving and all the troubles he caused the Celtics this season, and only focus on Rozier's negatives. And you do not take into account other Celtic teammates that complained about Irving's bull shxt as well.

Obviously you have a bias against Rozier. As for being an All Star.........outside of being a good shooter, the rest of his game sucks. He is not a good distributor, he cannot play defense, and he does not make his teammates better. Today's All Stars is a popularity contest if you want too be truthful and really is a meaningless title. As for Haywood, he is a marginal All Star (if you look at his overall skills) at best. Haywood did not go from 0 to 100 mph overnight, he was fortunate to be on a team that allowed him serious minutes early on which goes a long way into shaping one's game.

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed May 15, 2019 10:56 am

Please don't assume what I think. There are many things that contributed to this seasons shit show. This thread is about Rozier, so that is where I focused my attention.

The more that Rozier talks, the less I want him back. He absolutely is clueless as to how opening his yap over and over again is hurting his career and money making potential.

Oh, by the way, the meds are starting to sink in. I am getting into my happy place.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed May 15, 2019 11:39 am

GYSO

Pass the bottle please! LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by NESportsfan12 Wed May 15, 2019 12:04 pm

112288 wrote:GYSO

So you completely hold harmless Pee Wee Irving and all the troubles he caused the  Celtics this season, and only focus on Rozier's negatives.  And you do not take into account other Celtic teammates that complained about Irving's bull shxt as well.

Obviously you have a bias against Rozier.  As for being an All Star.........outside of being a good shooter, the rest of his game sucks.  He is not a good distributor, he cannot play defense, and he does not make his teammates better.  Today's All Stars is a popularity contest if you want too be truthful and really is a meaningless title. As for Haywood, he is a marginal All Star (if you look at his overall skills) at best.  Haywood did not go from 0 to 100 mph overnight, he was fortunate to be on a team that allowed him serious minutes early on which goes a long way into shaping one's game.

This is unhinged! One can condemn what Rozier said (and trust me, a quick glance at his numbers, esp. his +/- numbers, suggests that he has no idea what he's talking about: he didn't more playing time, and was substantially better when he shared the court with Kyrie), and ALSO think that Irving bears a good deal of responsibility for things going wrong. There's plenty of blame to go around. I say let them both walk. Good Riddance.
NESportsfan12
NESportsfan12

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed May 15, 2019 11:27 pm

Blakely is a moron.  

[/quote]

Indeed.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu May 16, 2019 12:47 pm

Exactly, there is enough blame to share with this entire team. Sure, Kyrie ticked me off during the Milwaukee series, but if all of a sudden he found his shot and they started going in, then what??? Everyone would have gone nuts. Let's share this blame. It certainly seems fair to me.

How many of you went nuts watching that Cbristmas Day game???? I know I did. And that streak of double/doubles where he did everything right, including sharing the ball. So there were some good moments. June 30 will come sooner than we think, the question will be answered, and we can move on a build a better team
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down