Building the 2019-20 Boston Celtics: Bringing Terry Rozier back on a win-win deal for everyone

5 posters

Go down

Building the 2019-20 Boston Celtics: Bringing Terry Rozier back on a win-win deal for everyone Empty Building the 2019-20 Boston Celtics: Bringing Terry Rozier back on a win-win deal for everyone

Post by bobheckler Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:42 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/06/building-the-2019-20-boston-celtics-bringing-terry-rozier-back-on-a-win-win-deal-for-everyone-john-karalis.html

Building the 2019-20 Boston Celtics: Bringing Terry Rozier back on a win-win deal for everyone | John Karalis

Today 2:11 AM

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

It’s been nearly a month since Terry Rozier brought his flame thrower to New York and spent an entire day burning the Boston Celtics to the ground.

He looked and sounded like a man getting out of a relationship. He was more than happy to talk about how he was wronged and he couldn’t contain his smile when thinking about being single… errr... a free agent.

But the NBA is funny. Just like life springs up through the ashes of a forest fire, opportunity can arise from even this scorched earth.

If Kyrie Irving really is looking for a rental in Williamsburg, the Celtics could find themselves in a bit of a jam. Assuming Al Horford returns on a longer-term deal, Boston will be stuck with few options to fill roster spots.

Which means Terry Rozier could be coming back.

First, I’d like to apologize to those of you who just got funny looks for screaming “NOOOOO” out loud in whichever public place you’re in right now (I’m doubly sorry if that public place is a bathroom stall at work).

Secondly, it’s not that bad. There’s a solution here that could benefit everyone: Signing Terry Rozier to a two-year, contract worth $30-35 million with a player option for the second year.

Here’s why it would work.

1: Terry Rozier gets paid, but also gets a chance to get even more paid

There are many reports floating around that Rozier could have earned a contract averaging $20 million a year had he been a free agent after the surprise playoff run two years ago. This past season deflated his earning potential, which means he could be looking at deals that start somewhere around $14-15 million.

That’s nothing to sneeze at, but it’s also not $20 million. Rozier probably wishes he could have a do-over or a better opportunity. This two-year deal gives him that chance.

He could go to another team, learn their system, learn his new teammates, and hope that everything works out well for him.

Or…

He could stay in Boston and play with guys he knows for a coach he understands in a city that’s comfortable to him. A year as a starter and on an overachieving team could do wonders for his value. The player option allows him to be an unrestricted free agent in a year.

Rozier would be betting on himself, and maybe with 30-35 minutes per game, he’d feel more comfortable knowing he’ll get his shots in the flow of the offense. He knows the system and the Boston routine. With people now writing Boston off, any level of success will be seen as a positive. Boston could get the fourth seed again next season and it would be a good accomplishment.

If Rozier wants to prove himself, this would be the situation where he could.

2. He’s tradeable.

A two-year, $30 million deal would pay Rozier $14.5 million in year-one. A $35 million deal would pay him $16.85 million to start.

Boston could pay Rozier a little something extra for this effort and go with the high-end deal without it seeming like a ridiculous contract. If he’s playing well, he could become trade bait at the deadline.

For example, a package of Rozier, Guerschon Yabusele, and Semi Ojeleye plus a bevy of draft picks could go to Washington for Bradley Beal. The three players would all come off the books that summer (assuming Rozier opts out), which would save Washington a ton of money. They’d get draft assets, including the Memphis pick, and Boston would get another star player.

Even if that’s not the direction Boston wants, Rozier’s contract would be moveable at the deadline. If Danny Ainge is hoping to maximize Rozier’s value, getting some kind of assets in return for him at the deadline is better than trying a funky sign-and-trade right now.

This approach works within the cap, even with Horford returning. It won’t make Boston a tax team, and it won’t take away any of their exceptions. In fact, they’d get the full mid-level exception to use if they wanted (though if they did, they’d be hard-capped at $138 million, but it’s an option of Ainge wants it).

The Celtics are not in an ideal situation, so it’s going to take some creativity to fix things. Rozier is not in an ideal situation either, so this could be the creativity he needs to pump his value back up and get a bigger deal next season.

Boston can force the issue by sending out a signal that they’ll match offers for Rozier, who is a restricted free agent. That could scare off enough teams that Rozier might find this alternative more appealing than his other options.

Instead of getting married to Kyrie Irving this summer, Ainge and the Celtics find themselves potentially staying together with Rozier for the sake of the kids. It’s not what either of them really want, but it’s probably what’s best for now until everyone can figure out a better situation. As long as everyone understands the arrangement, it could end up working well.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Building the 2019-20 Boston Celtics: Bringing Terry Rozier back on a win-win deal for everyone Empty Re: Building the 2019-20 Boston Celtics: Bringing Terry Rozier back on a win-win deal for everyone

Post by gyso Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:03 am

Sign him to later trade him ALMOST works for me. It would still leave an extremely sour taste in my mouth, seeing him in green. I would have to get a jumbo sized jug of mouthwash to use every game.

Maybe in the long run it would be worth it. A sign and trade would be better.

Back to top Go down

Building the 2019-20 Boston Celtics: Bringing Terry Rozier back on a win-win deal for everyone Empty Re: Building the 2019-20 Boston Celtics: Bringing Terry Rozier back on a win-win deal for everyone

Post by NYCelt Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:01 am

At the risk of making our friend gyso sick, my gut tells me high possibility Rozier is next year's starting point-guard.

Sorry gyso. Just in case; do you want that jug of mouthwash shipped express? Maybe some Pepto?
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:34 pm

NYCelt wrote:At the risk of making our friend gyso sick, my gut tells me high possibility Rozier is next year's starting point-guard.

Sorry gyso. Just in case; do you want that jug of mouthwash shipped express? Maybe some Pepto?

I'll have to join Costco so I can get it in bulk. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:44 pm

I have very little doubt that TR will not be on this team if KI leaves.

If you keep him, it somewhat dulls the impact of Kyrie leaving. We could still use a BU PG but if you sign him then you can focus on addressing our frontline needs.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:16 am

almost a moot point now, if Horford is leaving.

we are in year 6 of the rebuild now or year 11 since a championship.

seems like tear down is happening in front of our eyes.

some players we may be bale to sign with the $15M in cap space total?

Bigs: (pick one)

W. Cauley-Stein
Robin Lopez
D. Dedmon

PG (pick one)

Rubio
Beverly
I. Thomas
Ish Smith

we will have the non taxpayer MLE also
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down