Centers...centers?....we don't need no stinkin' Centers!

+11
tardust
gyso
jrleftfoot
wideclyde
mrkleen09
worcester
bobheckler
kdp59
BingBang!
dboss
international
15 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Centers...centers?....we don't need no stinkin' Centers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Centers...centers?....we don't need no stinkin' Centers!

Post by NYCelt Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:11 am

One thing is virtually certain, there is no way the Celtics go into next season with just the bigs under contract now.

For Ainge and company to go ahead and sign Walker, while clearing cap space as they did, something is in the works.

It may be trades, it could still be free agents, but there is more to come.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Centers...centers?....we don't need no stinkin' Centers! - Page 3 Empty Re: Centers...centers?....we don't need no stinkin' Centers!

Post by kdp59 Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:28 pm

I forgot D. Favors from Utah was traded to NO for two second round picks too.

but we couldn't have fit his $16M salary into our cap anyway.

NEXT!!!!!
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:20 pm

Looks like it’s Kanter

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:48 pm

Nice for MLE!!

thank goodness.

we can keep Morriis and Theis if their is mutual interest now.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:17 am

Nerlens Noel just agreed to re-sign with OKC.

I see Noel's skill sets as having significant overlap with Robert Williams', so I'm not upset with Noel not coming here, just reporting the news.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:49 am

Just read this:

Adam Himmelsbach: Some clarity on the Rozier/Kemba sign-and-trade: The Cs did this to keep options open for potential three-team sign-and-trades. But even if it stays as a 2-team transaction, Boston is expected to receive some compensation from the Hornets. 2 days ago –

and made me wonder if Ainge might try to get Hernangomez back in the trade also?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:56 am

He’d be a good pickup. I’d suspect though it’d be a 2nd round pick, possibly one with protections.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:59 am

KyleCleric wrote:He’d be a good pickup. I’d suspect though it’d be a 2nd round pick, possibly one with protections.
I wouldn’t be surprised if we got nothing, just goodwill to Charlotte’s management, Rozier, and his agent.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:41 pm

kdp59 wrote:Just read this:

Adam Himmelsbach: Some clarity on the Rozier/Kemba sign-and-trade: The Cs did this to keep options open for potential three-team sign-and-trades. But even if it stays as a 2-team transaction, Boston is expected to receive some compensation from the Hornets. 2 days ago –

and made me wonder if Ainge might try to get Hernangomez back in the trade also?

I'd like to get Hernangomez as a throw-in. He had a pretty good season a while back with the Knicks. Maybe he can be coached back to that level or better.

So they get four years of Rozier and we would get four years of Kemba, with Hernangomez thrown in?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear, Michael Jordon sucks at his job.

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:15 pm

Agreed gyso, not only that, his organization is terrible at developing players, and players that get traded to there, their games fall apart....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:03 pm

Yes, Michael is a terribly stupid NBA franchise owner. He paid $175 M for his 89% stake in the Bobcats, and now his share is only worth $1.2B, barely enough to affect his total net worth of $1.9B. I hate it when athletes get involved in businesses about which they know little and lose their shirts financially. W

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/nba/michael-jordan-net-worth/
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:45 pm

gyso wrote:
kdp59 wrote:Just read this:

I'd like to get Hernangomez as a throw-in.  He had a pretty good season a while back with the Knicks.  Maybe he can be coached back to that level or better.

So they get four years of Rozier and we would get four years of Kemba, with Hernangomez thrown in?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!                              

I swear, Michael Jordon sucks at his job.
                                                  He's not the GOAT, either. That would be Earl Manigault. Cool
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:49 pm

worcester wrote:Yes, Michael is a terribly stupid NBA franchise owner. He paid $175 M for his 89% stake in the Bobcats, and now his share is only worth $1.2B, barely enough to affect his total net worth of $1.9B. I hate it when athletes get involved in businesses about which they know little and lose their shirts financially. W

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/nba/michael-jordan-net-worth/

Incredible. Talk about return on investment.

If he ever wanted to sell, even after paying capital gains, he still nets over a billion.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:03 pm

Making money and being competent are not necessarily linked. We have proof of that on the news every day. He made a good investment, but the franchise is treading water in terms of producing a product.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:41 pm

MJ

Needs to let go. Hire a VP of operations and get the heck out of the way. Greatest has its' limitations. You do not know how to build a team.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:44 pm

I think MJ views the Hornets more as a money making business and less as a basketball team he's intent on winning an NBA title. He is a successful businessman who fields a far from successful basketball team.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:46 pm

He’s obviously a smart business man, but look at his drafting record, we call out Danny for being not good at drafting bigs, this guy can’t seem to draft any position. Who did Kemba Walker ever play with that was good in 8 years...???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:48 pm

More importantly which GM did MJ ever hire and empower who could do a good job as GM?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:55 pm

Still can’t believe he gave Rozier 18 mill for 3 years

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:54 am

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:30 am

I pretty much agree with the video analysis that Bob provided above.

It's also my belief that Kanter will start up until  Robert Williams can take the spot. That, in my opinion, must absolutely be team management's view and hope. Kanter will help, but is not the center that gets you on the deep playoff run. Williams could be, with just a little work. We've seen what Theis brings, and that's a good 3rd option for short breathers. You need a guy like that in your front court.

Grant Williams, and Semi, really aren't bigs. Both could have some value, especially G. Williams, I think.

Like the analysts in the video, I think Poirier is just a case of throwing something against the wall to see if it sticks. Maybe he provides something, and if so, that's great.

So the bigs come down to R. Williams, Kanter and Theis. Hopefully in that order by late season. Fingers crossed. Tight.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:52 am

Theis, and I guess Yabusele, are the only legitimate pick-and-pop options at big.  I would not be surprised to see him playing 4 with either Kanter or Williams on the floor with him.  We have no floor-stretcher at big without him.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Kanter highlights

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szkp2c0eTME
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:47 pm

I am surprised they didn't get rid of Yabusle. I really feel he is not going to.be help. I may be wrong but I am not impressed with him
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:17 pm

I expect the new starting lineup will feature Kanter at center.

This is a big change in style because Kanter is not a stretch 5.  He is not as good of a defender as AH and he is not as good of a passer.

2018-19 stats

AH BOS   29 MPG, 13.6 PPG, 6.7 Rebounds, 4.2 assists
EK  NYK  25.6 MPG, 14.0 PPG, 10.5 rebounds 1.9 assists
EK  Port  22.3 MPG, 13.1 PPG, 8.6 rebounds, 1.4 assists 

Kanter will likely equal or exceed Al's scoring but he will be a better on the glass for the Celtics.  

Brad Stevens will need to implement a low post option on offense in order to take advantage of several players on the team that can score in the post.

The Celtics have relied on switching everything on defense but they may need to figure out how to defend the pick and role with Kanter on the floor.  I would expect to see them play more zone defenses.

The Celtics can surround any of their bigs with a sufficient number of perimeter shot makers.  They do not have a viable replacement for AH in the high pick and pop option that they love to run.   It is not just about the ability for a big to shoot well from deep.  In that offense AH became a point center.  Kanter is a decent shooter from midrange but it is clearly in the post where he earns his keep.

We are about to see if Stevens is up to the challenge. Can he build a system around the players or will he try to fit those players into a system.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next