jrleftfoot
kdp59
steve3344
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Spurs sign Marcus Morris Empty Spurs sign Marcus Morris

Post by steve3344 Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:22 pm

Two years $20 million. Hate to see him go. But that's a little rich for us.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/boston-celtics-forward-marcus-morris-two-year-deal-san-antonio-spurs-free-agency-213251761.html

steve3344

Back to top Go down

Spurs sign Marcus Morris Empty Re: Spurs sign Marcus Morris

Post by kdp59 Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:50 am

good deal for SA and Morris.

too bad Ainge didn't see the value in keeping him here for that money. $10M a year is NOT a big contract .We could have signed him and still been UNDER the tax line ,which obviously is what the team is doing now as they don;t see us as being a contender this year .

no one can say with a straight face that Yabusele ($3.1M) or Theis ( $4.8M) are more deserving of a roster spot, Poirtier most likely not either but his contract is at or close to vet minimum so he can't be compared.

anyhow, we're in a rebuild (again) that is obvious.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:45 am

kdp59 wrote:good deal for SA and Morris.

too bad Ainge didn't see the value in keeping him here for that money. $10M a year is NOT a big contract .We could have signed him and still been UNDER the tax line ,which obviously is what the team is doing now as they don;t see us as being a contender this year .

no one can say with a straight face that Yabusele  ($3.1M) or Theis ( $4.8M) are more deserving of a roster spot, Poirtier most likely not either but his contract is at or close to vet minimum so he can't be compared.

I completely agree. Would love to know the thought process. One of the few guys who could create his own shot without dribbling in place like Tatum and he of whom we refuse to speak.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:58 am

At this point, every minute that Morris would play would take away a minute that the J's (and a healthy Hayward) should be playing. The J's need to develop their games now, and having Morris on the roster would not help that happen in this "sink or swim" year for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by jrleftfoot Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:04 am

Morris needn't cut into the J's p.t.  unless they plan to play two centers at once.Neither Brown nor Tatum is a power forward and Morris is way better than Theis. He might take minutes from Grant Williams, but so be it. Let the rookies earn their time. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a few wins along the way.
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:06 am

Water under the bridge. $20M worth.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeod Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:51 am

I agree about Yabusele. I was hoping to see something from him against rookies and fringe players, but he showed nothing at all. Nothing offensively nor defensively. -20 for the game. I can’t see what Ainge sees in him to bring him back. Except for an expiring contract, I don’t see any trade value for him at the deadline. It would appear the focus is on 20-21 and use this year to develop chemistry with all the new players.

mikeod

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:08 pm

Grant Williams is gonna be a much better player than Morris....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:09 pm

gyso wrote:At this point, every minute that Morris would play would take away a minute that the J's (and a healthy Hayward) should be playing.  The J's need to develop their games now, and having Morris on the roster would not help that happen in this "sink or swim" year for them.

There ya go

Last year there was a real logjam for minutes among our top 8 players.  Now Boston can get their top guys more minutes.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:31 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:Grant Williams is gonna be a much better player than Morris....

maybe.....but to say that right now is nothing but a hope.

but i do HOPE you are correct!!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:23 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:Morris needn't cut into the J's p.t.  unless they plan to play two centers at once.Neither Brown nor Tatum is a power forward and Morris is way better than Theis. He might take minutes from Grant Williams, but so be it. Let the rookies earn their time. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a few wins along the way.
Ditto!
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:26 pm

kdp59 wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:Grant Williams is gonna be a much better player than Morris....

maybe.....but to say that right now is nothing but a hope.

but i do HOPE you are correct!!

Me too. It’s a little too early to predict. Hope? Yes. Got no choice now. Still not crazy about WTH Ainge is doing.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktronic1 Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:28 pm

jrleftfoot wrote:
kdp59 wrote:good deal for SA and Morris.

no one can say with a straight face that Yabusele  ($3.1M) or Theis ( $4.8M) are more deserving of a roster spot, Poirtier most likely not either but his contract is at or close to vet minimum so he can't be compared.

I completely agree. Would love to know the thought process. One of the few guys who could create his own shot without dribbling in place like Tatum and he of whom we refuse to speak.
It looks like we are creeping closer to that 22 year window. Red’s rolling over as we speak.
Ktronic1
Ktronic1

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:43 pm

The modern nba is all about dynamic moves on just about an annual basis that suddenly alter the playoff picture. Youthful promise not nearly as predictable as the old days.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:01 pm

Not that I’m a stat guy, but GW’s college stats and accomplishments are much better/higher level than what Morris did in college. My eye test after one game shows me he’s better inside and outside than Morris, better ball handler, gets up and down floor a lot faster, faster and stronger than Morris. He had a lot more SF skills than I thought, he’s known as a bruiser. Was that a fluke? I don’t think so, I think he can build off that, I don’t think he going to disintegrate into Yabusele.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:37 am

Yabusele is a very low bar.....LOL.

we all hope that Grant is a MUCH better player than that, for sure!!!

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:42 am

So lets see if I can summarize this thread for those at home.

A) Mook - a guy who was a perpetual whipping boy out here, was a vital cog and now that he is gone, it is a big loss.
B) Celtics are in a rebuild (again)
C) Jayson Tatum just dribbles around in place
D) Morris is a better Center than Daniel Theis

The hits keep on coming Laughing
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:33 am

This year's Celtics team may not look better on paper than last year's team, but it very well may wind up with a better record. How so?
1. Almost equal at point guard when you consider Kemba's emotional impact on the team vs. Kyrie's.
2. Gordon has to be better. Ditto Jaylen and Jayson. Their increased minutes and performance will make up for Mook's departure, along with the potential play of Grant Williams.
3. Horford and Baynes leave a big hole to fill. That's our biggest question mark.
4. This year's rookies show more promise than last year's. Rob W was our rookie last year. I don't consider Wanamaker a rookie, and he is still on our team. This year we have Grant, Carson, Tacko, and Romeo. If one of them breaks out and Rob steps up his game, that's a plus.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:02 am

mrkleen09 wrote:So lets see if I can summarize this thread for those at home.

A) Mook - a guy who was a perpetual whipping boy out here, was a vital cog and now that he is gone, it is a big loss.
B) Celtics are in a rebuild (again)
C) Jayson Tatum just dribbles around in place
D) Morris is a better Center than Daniel Theis

The hits keep on coming Laughing  

A) so I guess Stevens is a horrible coach, since Morris played about 28 min per game last year. Only Irving, Tatum and Horford played more minutes, hmmmmm...good to know you know better than the HC.

B) yes it appears they are, how can anyone not see that?. Shedding salary to get BELOW the tax line is an easy way to see which teams will compete in todays NBA.

C) Not sure about this one, but I sure hope he continues to get to that all-star level we all hope for.

D) Theis is not an NBA center, sorry. We may play him there because we have no one else, but anyone can see he has trouble with NBA size. He CAN be a solid NBA PF however, which BTW is the position Morris plays (Not SF, Sorry).

the green googles are always very dark around here for some it seems..... Laughing
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:53 am

kdp59 wrote:  

A) so I guess Stevens is a horrible coach, since Morris played about 28 min per game last year. Only Irving, Tatum and Horford played more minutes, hmmmmm...good to know you know better than the HC.

Good attempt to try to repaint the conversation after the fact - but I have been one of the most consistent supporters of Mook over the years out here. - Go look it up.  While he was bashed over and over and over in game on and post game threads, I spoke of his value - so NO I dont know more than Coach - I actually supported him in much of his usage of Morris.  But nice try.

kdp59 wrote:  B) yes it appears they are, how can anyone not see that?. Shedding salary to get BELOW the tax line is an easy way to see which teams will compete in todays NBA.

The Celtics just signed a max deal. They already have another max player and two of the best young players in the NBA.  In a division that was just made demonstratively weaker with the exit of Leonard, they are 100% a playoff team and likely a top 4 team. In what world is a team fighting for top 4 in rebuild mode?   Smile

kdp59 wrote:  C) Not sure about this one, but I sure hope he continues to get to that all-star level we all hope for.

Great, wasnt in reference to one of your comments - but if you want to defend the whole thread em mass - sign on.

kdp59 wrote: D) Theis is not an NBA center, sorry. We may play him there  because we have no one else, but anyone can see he has trouble with NBA size. He CAN be a solid NBA PF however, which BTW is the position Morris plays (Not SF, Sorry).

You have GOT to be kidding with this one.  Other than a switch, there is literally no point in any game, ever - when Mook and Theis are covering the same player - like never.  Theis is playing big men, and Mook is guarding wing players.  Every night.  The thing you should be sorry for is in trying to make this weak argument bounce

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:08 am

In my reality Morris is gone and Boston is in the same position they have been in for a few years.

Danny Ainge has stocked this team with a bunch of undersized Power Forwards.  Morris was the best of the bunch because he was well above average on the wing and could score off the ball or create his shot.  He was a decent rebounder but not great he was a good defender but not great.  His size and lack of athleticism prevented him from playing against top notch PF.

There is no one on the roster that provides a  complete solution.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:09 am

Yet.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:26 pm

That we are aware of.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:38 pm

swish wrote:The modern nba is all about dynamic moves on just about an annual basis that suddenly alter the playoff picture. Youthful promise not nearly as predictable as the old days.

swish

Also, "Youth" meant something different in the old days. Rookies often played 3 or 4 years of college, so they were further along their developmental track, making prediction more reliable.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:37 pm

Shamrock1000 wrote:
swish wrote:The modern nba is all about dynamic moves on just about an annual basis that suddenly alter the playoff picture. Youthful promise not nearly as predictable as the old days.

swish

Also, "Youth" meant something different in the old days. Rookies often played 3 or 4 years of college, so they were further along their developmental track, making prediction more reliable.

Great point Shamrock. How true!

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next