Vegas Summer League - Game 2 vs Cavaliers

+2
wideclyde
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Vegas Summer League - Game 2 vs Cavaliers Empty Vegas Summer League - Game 2 vs Cavaliers

Post by bobheckler Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:30 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/07/carsen-edwards-tremont-waters-grant-williams-tacko-fall-stand-out-for-boston-celtics-five-takeaways-from-a-second-win-in-las-vegas.html

Carsen Edwards, Tremont Waters, Grant Williams, Tacko Fall stand out for Boston Celtics: five takeaways from a second win in Las Vegas

Posted Jul 8, 9:58 PM

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

LAS VEGAS -- The Boston Celtics summer squad moved to 2-0 in Las Vegas with an 89-72 win over the Cleveland Cavaliers. Boston was led by Carsen Edwards who scored 14 points. Here are five takeaways from the game.

1: Tremont Waters has some skills

Waters was the catalyst of a 21-5 run to end the first quarter that gave Boston a 13 point lead going into the second quarter. Waters may be small, but he finds way to clear space to get his shot off and he’s always looking to find a teammate. He’s also a tremendous pest on defense, which is exactly the kind of player he’ll need to be to make an impact on the next level.

His highlight play was a half court steal and between the legs pass to Chinanu Onuaku for a dunk, but he showed a variety of hesitation and step-back moves that got him free to make plays.

Waters finished with 11 points, 5 assists, and 4 rebounds.

2: People LOVE Tacko Fall

Fall remains a phenom here in Vegas, with people marveling at his height and ability to dunk, land, and still be holding onto the rim.

Fall scored 12 points, making all four shots (including two of those dunks) and two free throws. His most impressive basket was a little right-block shimmy and hook shot. He’s got a surprisingly nice touch around the rim.

3: Grant Williams did all the little things

This is going to be a common theme in Williams’ career. He put up single digits in al the big counting stats (5 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists), but he was a +20. He didn’t shoot well in this one, which isn’t really surprising. He’s tinkering with it, so it’ll be up and down until he gets comfortable and builds that muscle memory.

His best moment was getting switched onto a bigger player, shrugging off Onuaku when he offered to switch back, bodying up the big, and then switching onto a guard to finish off a defensive play that resulted in a shot clock violation.

4: Carsen Edwards recovered nicely

He opened the game 1-for-4, but then went 5-for-6 the rest of the way. He’s got a real scorer’s mentality, so he’ll keep shooting. It’s good to see him not get down on himself, stay confident, and still do other things to help the team while he got back on track.

5: Guerschon Yabusele is really struggling

This is not a great sign. Yabu flat-out should be doing better. He’s made one field goal in two summer league games. Sure, he dislocated his pinky finger, but he should still be scoring more.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Vegas Summer League - Game 2 vs Cavaliers Empty Re: Vegas Summer League - Game 2 vs Cavaliers

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:18 am

Yabusele is in serious danger of being cut, contract or no contract.  This is his 3rd summer league, he should be dominating.

Danny, in my opinion and a few other people on this board, needs a legit power forward.  I always could see Yabby as a 4 rather than as a small ball 5 nut I don't think Brad does.

Danny overloaded on guards in this draft.  This is understandable given the anticipated loss of Kyrie and probably Rozier but not re-signing Morris and the very painful loss of Horford has left us thin at 4.  Theis could, and probably should, slide over to 4 but that's not enough. Tacko Fall does not address nor fix this hole this year.

Does anyone know what free agent 4s are still available?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Vegas Summer League - Game 2 vs Cavaliers Empty Re: Vegas Summer League - Game 2 vs Cavaliers

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:02 am

https://www.facebook.com/8725012666/posts/10157237205832667/?sfnsn=mo&s=100000918046731&w=y

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:06 am

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:09 am

from the first post on the thread..

5: Guerschon Yabusele is really struggling

This is not a great sign. Yabu flat-out should be doing better. He’s made one field goal in two summer league games. Sure, he dislocated his pinky finger, but he should still be scoring more.

After watching two summer games, this guy looks to be the least talented guy on the Boston SUMMER roster.

OUCH!

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:20 am

no free agent PF's coming here IMO.

IF Ainge wanted one, he could have re-signed Morris at that 2 year $10M /year deal. He didn't, showing us all he doesn't think he needs another big,

I think you're right about Yabusele, time for Ainge to move on and eat his deal, unless he can send a future second to some team to eat the salary instead.

I would rather the team keep Tacko on the active roster now. I think if they try to move him to a two way contact, someone will offer him a roster spot this year to develop him.

I don't see him playing much in the NBA this year, but spot minutes are possible in certain match ups for sure. He needs to get his conditioning up closer to NBA standards, but you can't coach height as they say.

4 rookies on our roster this year. Langford, Grant, Carson and Tacko.

either one of Tacko and Carson will get picked up by some team if Ainge doesn't keep them, IMO

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:23 am

Tacko Fall will make the Celtic Team this year!  He has proven beyond the doubt that he can play this game at a professional level. He can run the floor better then some power fowards who have been in the league and who are starters. He has soft hands and can shoot the ball with hook shots and flips to the basket. What more can this guy prove..............nothing!

If Ainge passes on him, it will be the biggest mistake of all time.

And I told you all when we first signed him to play summer league........this guy can play!

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:09 am

112288 wrote:Tacko Fall will make the Celtic Team this year!  He has proven beyond the doubt that he can play this game at a professional level. He can run the floor better then some power fowards who have been in the league and who are starters. He has soft hands and can shoot the ball with hook shots and flips to the basket. What more can this guy prove..............nothing!

And I told you all when we first signed him to play summer league........this guy can play!

Kanter, Williams, Theis, Poirier, Tacko.  That's 5 bigs, charitably 4 centers and a power forward.  One, repeat ONE, that can spread the floor.  I don't know how many years Kanter has been in the league but there is a combined 3 years of NBA experience between the other 4.  Too young!  Our whole team is WAY too young but our bigs are even younger in terms of NBA experience.  Poirier says he isn't coming to the NBA to sit on the bench.  Remember Theis' rookie season?  He sat a lot because he was a foul magnet, and Theis was a 2X German League Champion and MVP.  As Mike Tyson once said "everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.  Poirier is going to get fed a knuckle sandwich just like every other rookie, including Americans coming out of quality NCAA programs.

And young teams very rarely have extended playoff runs.

This team is starting to look like Dwight Howard and the Orlando Magic.  Two bigs (the other was Gortat) who were useless > 6' from the basket and a bunch of catch-and-shooters out at the arc awaiting a kick out pass.

Jaylen, Gordon and Jayson better run the floor or Kemba will be out there by himself.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:55 am

Chris Forsberg
@ChrisForsberg_
Can Tacko Fall stick in Boston?

Celtics project at full 17-man roster once they finalize offseason signings and ink rookies.

Boston would need move to create roster spot. On Exhibit 10, Fall earns bonus if he’s waived/signs in Maine. Rivals could pluck with offer of NBA spot.

Vegas Summer League - Game 2 vs Cavaliers D_COdBAWkAAmsnh?format=jpg&name=small

bob
MY NOTE:  The obvious cut is Yabby, but that doesn't fix our lack of 4s, small ball 5s and stretch 5s.  Our bigs are paint monsters and paint monsters struggle to get back in transition defense because they are so far under the other team's basket. A long rebound off a missed 3 and they will be off to the races. If I was an opposing coach I would tell my 4s to run like Hell and they'll have a career night.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:05 am

The Celtics are a scrappy Summer League bunch.  It is difficult to look at these guys and know how they will perform during the season but a few things do look promising.

Edwards actually started off 1-5 not 1-4.  I was checking the box score during the game.  He really did not have his jumper working but as the game progressed he started to take it off the dribble and get to the rim.  He ended up 6-10.  I would like to see a bit more play making from him.  He is clearly a shooting guard but if he wants to earn minutes he will need to become more of a facilitator.  I like his defense.

Watching the team play in terms of the sets and the weave, etc reminded be of the way Boston plays.  Too many 3 point shots and missing many opportunities to get the ball into the post.  

Tacko Fall looks like a keeper to me.  If the Celtics do not get him a contract some team will definitely scoop him up.  When Boston went into a zone, he took up most of the space.  he looks like a rim protector to me because his length forces opponents to alter their shots. 

Yabusele was a horrible reach at 16 and he has done nothing to change that fact.  He has $3.1 million guaranteed this year.  The Celtics need to either do a trade with him and a pick for example to get a veteran PF or they just need to waive him.  The Celtics need his roster spot to keep Fall.  

I would like to see the rookie Grant Williams get to play with what looks like the starting unit.  Let him take Yabusele's spot in the lineup.  I am not warming to the idea that Williams was a good selection but he looks better than Yabusele.

Did anyone see the three times that Robert Williams dove for loose balls, full stretch dives?  RW has been playing with a very high level of energy and intensity and that is something that the coaches wanted to see out of him.  One thing stands out for me and that is his quickness.  I think the Celtics should get him some minutes at PF when they go up against a big lineup.  He will also get minutes at 5.

The summer league coach has been using his full roster which is different than prior years where some guys would not get hardly any time on the court.  

Waters could become a good BU point guard if he cuts down on his turnovers which = decision.
making errors.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:19 am

bobheckler wrote:
112288 wrote:Tacko Fall will make the Celtic Team this year!  He has proven beyond the doubt that he can play this game at a professional level. He can run the floor better then some power fowards who have been in the league and who are starters. He has soft hands and can shoot the ball with hook shots and flips to the basket. What more can this guy prove..............nothing!

Kanter, Williams, Theis, Poirier, Tacko.  That's 5 bigs, charitably 4 centers and a power forward.  One, repeat ONE, that can spread the floor.  I don't know how many years Kanter has been in the league but there is a combined 3 years of NBA experience between the other 4.  Too young!  Our whole team is WAY too young but our bigs are even younger in terms of NBA experience.  Poirier says he isn't coming to the NBA to sit on the bench.  Remember Theis' rookie season?  He sat a lot because he was a foul magnet, and Theis was a 2X German League Champion and MVP.  As Mike Tyson once said "everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.  Poirier is going to get fed a knuckle sandwich just like every other rookie, including Americans coming out of quality NCAA programs.

And young teams very rarely have extended playoff runs.

This team is starting to look like Dwight Howard and the Orlando Magic.  Two bigs (the other was Gortat) who were useless > 6' from the basket and a bunch of catch-and-shooters out at the arc awaiting a kick out pass.

Jaylen, Gordon and Jayson better run the floor or Kemba will be out there by himself.

bob

Right bob, let’s go sign Anthony Davis....for the cards Ainge was dealt, he made the best possible choices IMHO. Everyone wants better talent, you can’t have a flip* allstar at every position. We got a good crew for what we could afford, and Kantor’s post game is actually much better than Dwight Howard. I’m happy with Theis and Grant Williams sharing the 4, not perfect, but I’ll give it a look.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:20 am

I definitely think Tacko can play and there is a place for him on this team.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:29 am

dboss wrote:The Celtics are a scrappy Summer League bunch.  It is difficult to look at these guys and know how they will perform during the season but a few things do look promising.

Edwards actually started off 1-5 not 1-4.  I was checking the box score during the game.  He really did not have his jumper working but as the game progressed he started to take it off the dribble and get to the rim.  He ended up 6-10.  I would like to see a bit more play making from him.  He is clearly a shooting guard but if he wants to earn minutes he will need to become more of a facilitator.  I like his defense.

Watching the team play in terms of the sets and the weave, etc reminded be of the way Boston plays.  Too many 3 point shots and missing many opportunities to get the ball into the post.  

Tacko Fall looks like a keeper to me.  If the Celtics do not get him a contract some team will definitely scoop him up.  When Boston went into a zone, he took up most of the space.  he looks like a rim protector to me because his length forces opponents to alter their shots. 

Yabusele was a horrible reach at 16 and he has done nothing to change that fact.  He has $3.1 million guaranteed this year.  The Celtics need to either do a trade with him and a pick for example to get a veteran PF or they just need to waive him.  The Celtics need his roster spot to keep Fall.  

I would like to see the rookie Grant Williams get to play with what looks like the starting unit.  Let him take Yabusele's spot in the lineup.  I am not warming to the idea that Williams was a good selection but he looks better than Yabusele.

Did anyone see the three times that Robert Williams dove for loose balls, full stretch dives?  RW has been playing with a very high level of energy and intensity and that is something that the coaches wanted to see out of him.  One thing stands out for me and that is his quickness.  I think the Celtics should get him some minutes at PF when they go up against a big lineup.  He will also get minutes at 5.

The summer league coach has been using his full roster which is different than prior years where some guys would not get hardly any time on the court.  

Waters could become a good BU point guard if he cuts down on his turnovers which = decision.
making errors.
I was disappointed that RW has no left hand, no mid range game and was getting his shot blocked at the rim because he has no moves, however he does have quickness and I could see him getting minutes at the 4, he could be a hustling Dennis Rodman type....wish he had more semblance of a jumper.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:30 am

Ainge can eat Poitier's salary too if need be, its under $1M.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:50 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
dboss wrote:The Celtics are a scrappy Summer League bunch.  It is difficult to look at these guys and know how they will perform during the season but a few things do look promising.

making errors.
I was disappointed that RW has no left hand, no mid range game and was getting his shot blocked at the rim because he has no moves, however he does have quickness and I could see him getting minutes at the 4, he could be a hustling Dennis Rodman type....wish he had more semblance of a jumper.
I expect that he will improve in a lot of areas once he gets to play on a regular basis.  Hey he made both free throws.  I think there is a mid range game hidden in there.  He seems to recover quickly from mistakes.  he had his shot blocked at the rim but he also blocked 2 shots and he still scored 10 points including several dunks.  one was an off the bounce drive from the foul line area and a reverse stuff.  On display was his ability to dribble and the quickness to get to where he wanted to go.

I think Robert gets 18-20 MPG this year and will score around 10 PPG with 5 boards and at least 2 blocks.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:50 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:

making errors.

Cow,

Please explain how someone with no shot can get minutes at 4.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:56 pm

As I said on another post Dennis Rodman and yes there still is a place for a defender/rebounder at that level in this era....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down