Boston Celtics: 3 Reasons why a healthy Gordon Hayward may hinder the development of Jayson Tatum

3 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics: 3 Reasons why a healthy Gordon Hayward may hinder the development of Jayson Tatum Empty Boston Celtics: 3 Reasons why a healthy Gordon Hayward may hinder the development of Jayson Tatum

Post by dboss Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:05 pm

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2019/07/24/boston-celtics-healthy-gordon-hayward-may-hinder-development-jayson-tatum/2/

I do not agree with this article.  The three reasons cited include

Hayward's relationship with Brad
Hayward's connection with Walker
Minutes available at SF

Here is the full text of the article

Relationship with Brad Stevens

As previously mentioned, the relationship between Brad Stevens and Gordon Hayward goes back many years.
A belief around the media is that players of the organization felt as though the pair’s relationship negatively impacted the overall team chemistry in 2018-19. Since the end of the season, rumors have surfaced that Hayward’s teammates may have felt the forward was being treated differently than they were by coach Stevens — “babied” was a term used most often — with some pointing out the apparent “force feeding” of Hayward on offense.
Now, if a less than 100% Hayward was given the amount of opportunities as he reportedly was, how many will he get fully healthy while suiting up for a Kyrie Irving/Al Horford- less Boston squad?
With the belief that Hayward is coming into 2019 both physically and mentally healthy, it should be safe to say that the forward will be one of Boston’s top-two scoring options which, in turn, will provide him with even more offensive opportunities. And, the more offensive opportunities Hayward gets, the less his teammates will collect.
Again, this is all relative as to whether Hayward can return to his pre-injury form, which is the hope now that he appears fully healed.
If this is the case, and Hayward plays like the player Boston believed they signed two years ago, coach Stevens will be hard pressed not to give the forward the rock as often as possible which. In turn, will certainly have an impact on the amount of offensive opportunities Jayson Tatum will get.

Kemba Walker Connection

Back in the summer of 2014, Gordon Hayward had signed a four-year, $63 million contract offer-sheet from the Charlotte Hornets. The idea was to have budding stars Kemba Walker and Hayward team up and wreak havoc across the Eastern Conference.
While the pair never wound up in Charlotte together, (the Utah Jazz ended up matching Hayward’s contract offer) five years later they finally found their way towards one another, as Walker inked a four-year, $141 million deal with the Boston Celtics.
When speaking to Kyle Draper and Brian Scalabrine of NBC Sports Boston, Kemba talked about the current state of the Celtics roster, specifically focusing on Hayward and how he should have a bounce back season in 2019.
“I know Gordon probably didn’t have his best season last year, but I think this year, now’s the opportunity to get back to it and be comfortable on his legs. I’m excited for him. I’m excited to play with him actually. We were supposed to get Gordon actually in Charlotte, so I thought I was going to play with him back then. It’s crazy how things go full circle.”
Upon Walker officially signing with the franchise, Hayward too publicly displayed his pleasure of finally being able to call the point guard his teammate.

Boston Celtics: 3 Reasons why a healthy Gordon Hayward may hinder the development of Jayson Tatum P30K5ckW_normal

Gordon Hayward

✔@gordonhayward

[ltr]#TBT Teammates. Excited to get to work @KembaWalker! #WelcomeToBoston[/ltr]

With the duo finally landing on the same roster, both players may be eager to see how well they mesh together. In fact, Walker may have an ulterior motive to show Charlotte what could have been had they provided the point guard with a better supporting cast.
Because of this, though Walker does already have relationships with many of the other players on Boston’s roster, the connection he has with Hayward goes back quite a few years. The point guard appears confident that Hayward will end up having a resurgence year this upcoming season and, from reading about his character through interviews from former teammates, should be inclined to help him get there.
With this, don’t be surprised to see Walker’s favorite target being #20 in year one of their partnership.  In turn? Potentially less touches for Tatum.

Too many minutes to go around

Coming into the 2019 season, the Boston Celtics are flush with talents all deserving of collecting meaningful minutes during the regular season. With the NBA becoming more of a position-less league, players, now more than ever, can be slotted in at numerous positions throughout a game.
As for the Celtics, with their average size of around six-foot-six, minutes can be collected by various different players anywhere from the one to the three slot. While many can look at this and think positively (it will allow players at these positions to garner even more minutes of rest) this also means the potential for less minutes of play time for these individuals — this includes Tatum, one of the team’s starting forwards.
Just to clarify, let me state that Tatum is obviously more talented than 90% of the players residing on this roster. However, with the versatility Boston has, his minutes may be cut into to get these other individuals more playing time, while also giving his body more rest.
Now, I know what you may be thinking:
If this idea is true, wouldn’t this also impact the overall minutes of Gordon Hayward?
Obviously we wont know until the regular seasons comes into fruition, but with Hayward likely  being both mentally and physically healthy for virtually the first time since signing with Boston two years ago, the coaching staff and the front office may be inclined to give him as many minutes as possible. The hope is that Hayward finally lives up to his massive contract.
With Jaylen Brown, Romeo Langford, Marcus Smart, Grant Williams and Semi Ojeleye all slated to collect minutes at the the three-spot, it may be hard for Tatum for receive the amount of playing time at small forward. That would be his natural position.
Yes, they’ll probably slot him in at the two-guard from time to time, but with the influx of talent the team has in their backcourt (Walker, Brown, Smart, Carsen Edwards, Tremont Waters) minutes there could be hard to come by.
Tatum will also log minutes at the power forward this season, as he did last year. However, with his slender size (208 pounds), depending on how many minutes he collects at the four, it could wind up being too much strain on his body. That could be doubly true when going up against bigger opponents (average weight for NBA power forward is 245 pounds).
Stevens has a delicate line to toe. If he could find a way to allow both Hayward and Tatum to thrive, the Boston Celtics will be better off for it.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics: 3 Reasons why a healthy Gordon Hayward may hinder the development of Jayson Tatum Empty Re: Boston Celtics: 3 Reasons why a healthy Gordon Hayward may hinder the development of Jayson Tatum

Post by NYCelt Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:38 pm

I agree with dboss, in that I do not agree with the article.

Supposition is free.

Crap gets thrown against the wall to see if it sticks.

Negativity sells.

Fairy tales are invented all the time.

I suppose this is a crappy, negative, fairy tale.

...I hope it's not sticky too.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics: 3 Reasons why a healthy Gordon Hayward may hinder the development of Jayson Tatum Empty Re: Boston Celtics: 3 Reasons why a healthy Gordon Hayward may hinder the development of Jayson Tatum

Post by dboss Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:24 pm

Hayward is more likely to enhance JT and JB for that matter. Great players make others around them better.

With MM gone both Hayward and Tatum will absorb some of his minutes and some of his shots.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:36 am

This article does not take into account the one thing that blows every season and every team up every year...injuries. Author needs to quit living in fantasyland. Especially with the Celtics he should know better.

Even with a perfect world, Brad is going to play the hot hand(s) until it cools off as would any smart coach.

db

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down