Boston Celtics' Gordon Hayward still trying to get over 'hurdle' of getting healthy

+4
bobc33
NYCelt
swish
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics' Gordon Hayward still trying to get over 'hurdle' of getting healthy Empty Boston Celtics' Gordon Hayward still trying to get over 'hurdle' of getting healthy

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:07 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/12/boston_celtics_gordon_hayward_15.html

Boston Celtics' Gordon Hayward still trying to get over 'hurdle' of getting healthy (report)

Updated 8:21 AM; Posted 8:21 AM

Boston Celtics' Gordon Hayward still trying to get over 'hurdle' of getting healthy Gordon-haywardtyler-dorsey-f48657f4989809e4
Boston Celtics forward Gordon Hayward, right, drives against Atlanta Hawks guard Tyler Dorsey (2) in the first quarter of an NBA basketball game, Friday, Dec. 14, 2018, in Boston. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola) (Elise Amendola)

By Tom Westerholm

Boston Celtics wing Gordon Hayward has looked notably better over the last few weeks, but after Boston's 113-104 loss to the Detroit Pistons, Hayward said he is still trying to get back to full health while recovering from the ankle injury that ended his 2017-18 season.

"Getting healthy and being healthy is the first thing you have to worry about," Hayward told reporters, per the Boston Herald. "When you're not healthy you can't do the things you want on the court. That's the hurdle I want to go over first, and then I can try to figure everything else out."

Hayward's progress has been notable. In the last 10 games, he has shot 40.5 percent from three on nearly four attempts per game. Over the last five games, Hayward is over 52 percent. Simply making triples gives Hayward value, particularly in tandem with his play-making.

Still, his areas of concern are evident as well. During that same stretch of 10 games, Hayward hit just 47 percent of his shots within five feet and just 43 percent of his shots in the restricted area. In other words, Hayward is struggling to finish -- one of the surest signs his athleticism has not returned. Hayward shot 67.4 percent in the restricted area during his last season with the Jazz.

The Celtics are figuring out the best ways to utilize Hayward, and he keeps getting better as the season progresses. As things stand now, Hayward is a productive player helping Boston win. That's a major upgrade over the start of the season, and for the Celtics, it's a positive to remember how much room for growth Hayward still has.

"It's starting to come back a little bit," Hayward told reporters. "That goes hand-in-hand with attacking the basket and challenging bigs. The more and more I do it the more comfortable I'll get. Everything works hand-in-hand."

bob
MY NOTE: Sad to say, Gordon Hayward at whatever percent of his ability he's at right now is better than Jaylen Brown at 100% of his right now.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics' Gordon Hayward still trying to get over 'hurdle' of getting healthy Empty Re: Boston Celtics' Gordon Hayward still trying to get over 'hurdle' of getting healthy

Post by swish Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:21 pm

Could it be simply a case of being overrated as a highly efficient shooter - as his career EFG of just .500 with Utah seems to indicate ?.

swish

Last edited by swish on Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

swish

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics' Gordon Hayward still trying to get over 'hurdle' of getting healthy Empty Re: Boston Celtics' Gordon Hayward still trying to get over 'hurdle' of getting healthy

Post by NYCelt Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:30 pm

swish wrote: Could it be simply a case of being overrated as a highly efficient shooter - as his career EFG of .500 with Utah seems to indicate ?.

swish

Swish,

Good question. Maybe too much is expected.

My own feeling when he was signed was nice player, but perhaps at a little too high a price tag given his career to that point. Add the severity of that injury and he's not going to be at an All-Star level. Not yet anyway.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:50 pm

I’m guessing it may not be until late this season or possibly next season before we see Gordon.close to or all the way back.

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:10 pm

I am often leery of comparing a player's stats from team to team.  Hayward played the role, THE central role on offense, in Quin Snyder's system that Snyder told him to play.  Now he is playing a much less central role in Brad Stevens' offense, and way fewer minutes too. Even on a /36 minutes basis the difference in systems and teammates make it hard.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:22 am

The important thing for me is that Gordon is showing steady improvement. He is getting his game back and that is becoming more and more obvious. He is an all star level talent whether or not he makes the team. It seems clear to me that he is a much better player in terms of overall game than many. He is certainly better than Jaylen even when both are playing well and healthy. Jaylen has more upside just because he is younger and a freak athlete. No worries here. This team is getting ready to explode as the run to the playoffs continue.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:51 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/12/boston_celtics_gordon_hayward_15.html

Boston Celtics' Gordon Hayward still trying to get over 'hurdle' of getting healthy (report)

Updated 8:21 AM; Posted 8:21 AM

Boston Celtics' Gordon Hayward still trying to get over 'hurdle' of getting healthy Gordon-haywardtyler-dorsey-f48657f4989809e4
Boston Celtics forward Gordon Hayward, right, drives against Atlanta Hawks guard Tyler Dorsey (2) in the first quarter of an NBA basketball game, Friday, Dec. 14, 2018, in Boston. (AP Photo/Elise Amendola) (Elise Amendola)

By Tom Westerholm

Boston Celtics wing Gordon Hayward has looked notably better over the last few weeks, but after Boston's 113-104 loss to the Detroit Pistons, Hayward said he is still trying to get back to full health while recovering from the ankle injury that ended his 2017-18 season.

"Getting healthy and being healthy is the first thing you have to worry about," Hayward told reporters, per the Boston Herald. "When you're not healthy you can't do the things you want on the court. That's the hurdle I want to go over first, and then I can try to figure everything else out."

Hayward's progress has been notable. In the last 10 games, he has shot 40.5 percent from three on nearly four attempts per game. Over the last five games, Hayward is over 52 percent. Simply making triples gives Hayward value, particularly in tandem with his play-making.

Still, his areas of concern are evident as well. During that same stretch of 10 games, Hayward hit just 47 percent of his shots within five feet and just 43 percent of his shots in the restricted area. In other words, Hayward is struggling to finish -- one of the surest signs his athleticism has not returned. Hayward shot 67.4 percent in the restricted area during his last season with the Jazz.

The Celtics are figuring out the best ways to utilize Hayward, and he keeps getting better as the season progresses. As things stand now, Hayward is a productive player helping Boston win. That's a major upgrade over the start of the season, and for the Celtics, it's a positive to remember how much room for growth Hayward still has.

"It's starting to come back a little bit," Hayward told reporters. "That goes hand-in-hand with attacking the basket and challenging bigs. The more and more I do it the more comfortable I'll get. Everything works hand-in-hand."

bob
MY NOTE:  Sad to say, Gordon Hayward at whatever percent of his ability he's at right now is better than Jaylen Brown at 100% of his right now.

That’s unfair, both have somewhat different games, to say GH is 100% better, really at what? Certain things Jaylen can do better, certain things GH may do better....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:21 pm

Agree with Cow.

Hayward is a playmaker, a great passer, a good shooter and high level decision maker.
Jaylen is an explosive athlete that has the potential to be a dominant finisher, adequate shooter, and elite defender.

In fact, I actually see very little overlap in their games.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:40 pm

Bob can speak for himself, but I see that you are both misinterpreting his remarks. Gordon is not at !00% yet, but he is still playing better at this point than Jaylen, in virtually all categories. Look it up. Will Jaylen emerge s the better player in time? Perhaps. Probably. But he is not there now. Mostly psychological reasons I suspect.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:57 am

I understand what bob was saying/meant.

It’s a long season, Jaylen is still our best wing defender and can still cover 2’s better than GH. Both players have been somewhat off offensively at times, Hayward working thru full recovery mode and Jaylen losing a lot of his rhythm and learning a new role, overpassing at times, fighting thru some cold stretches, as has Hayward. Both players still have time for improvements and further adjustments. I think it’s good to have more good players that have to figure it out, than bad players or bad trades. Jaylen is still very capable of being a dramatic finisher/runner, impact defensive player. There are plenty of teams that would love to have Jaylen Brown as a starting wing.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:00 am

He is only 22! Jaylen will come around.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down