Boston Celtics rookie Romeo Langford’s thumb is 'basically’ 100 percent, talks Kemba Walker & more

5 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics rookie Romeo Langford’s thumb is 'basically’ 100 percent, talks Kemba Walker & more Empty Boston Celtics rookie Romeo Langford’s thumb is 'basically’ 100 percent, talks Kemba Walker & more

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:09 am

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/08/boston-celtics-rookie-romeo-langfords-thumb-is-basically-100-percent-talks-kemba-walker-more.html

Boston Celtics rookie Romeo Langford’s thumb is 'basically’ 100 percent, talks Kemba Walker & more

Today 7:01 AM

Boston Celtics rookie Romeo Langford’s thumb is 'basically’ 100 percent, talks Kemba Walker & more UECTYTQSGZGQNC2ID35DHKIFUM
NEW YORK, NEW YORK - JUNE 20: Romeo Langford reacts after being drafted with the 14th overall pick by the Boston Celtics during the 2019 NBA Draft at the Barclays Center on June 20, 2019 in the Brooklyn borough of New York City. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Sarah Stier/Getty Images)

By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com

SPRINGFIELD -- Boston Celtics rookie Romeo Langford has been living out of hotels so long, he is nearly used to it.

“I’m actually moving in (to an apartment) tomorrow,” Langford told MassLive on Wednesday at an appearance at the Basketball Hall of Fame’s 60 Days of Summer program. “I’ve been in hotels since probably June 10.”

That sums up the strange in-limbo life of an NBA rookie. Langford was drafted on June 20 by the Celtics after weeks of draft prep, and he was whisked to Boston for his introductory press conference. After about a week, he joined the Summer League squad at the practice facility to prepare for Las Vegas, followed by a trip to Vegas for 10 days. Langford didn’t play -- he was still rehabbing from a torn ligament in his right thumb, which limited him during his lone season at Indiana -- but he went through drills with new Celtics assistant coach Joe Mazzulla and sat on the bench for the team’s dominant run through Summer League’s regular season.

The thumb, incidentally, is nearly 100 percent -- Langford said he is “basically” back to normal.

“I haven’t done any contact still, but I’m going against coaches and stuff like that,” Langford said. “But I haven’t gone live against defenders."

Now he can finally settle into his new home in a new city, and so far, Langford said he likes what he has seen.

“It’s a big city, but it has a small-town type of vibe to it. I like that,” Langford said. “It’s a little different (than Indiana) just because it’s a bigger city, but it’s kind of the same because there’s so many colleges around. It has that college atmosphere.”

Langford also likes what he has seen from the Celtics’ offseason. Boston rebounded from the devastating losses of Kyrie Irving and Al Horford (as well as Marcus Morris and Terry Rozier) by adding Kemba Walker and Enes Kanter. Walker met members of the team when he was in Boston for his introductory press conference in July.

“He’s short,” Langford said with a smile, when asked for his first impressions. “That was my first time I’ve ever seen him in person, ever. It was kind of shocking."

But Walker’s talent is undeniable.

“I felt like the team shaped up real well,” Langford said. “Kemba is a huge, huge piece to the team that’s gonna help us do what we want to do in the long run, which is win a championship. I’m just glad that Kemba’s with us, so now we don’t have to worry about guarding him.”

Langford’s role on that team is still a little unclear. The Celtics have a lot of talented wings already, but they didn’t use a lottery pick on Langford to bury him on the bench. How he stacks up with Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Jayson Tatum and Gordon Hayward remains to be seen, but finding minutes for him will certainly be a priority for Boston.

That, however, is a problem for September and October. For now, Langford is focused on learning the Celtics’ system and finishing off his rehab.

“I’ve talked to (Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens), but not really focusing on who’s role is which,” Langford said. “It’s really just about getting better right now, learning the concepts and schemes and the offense (Stevens) likes to run, and just getting back to 100 percent is the main thing. ... I’m learning concepts and stuff like that, but I’m just really working out, working where the coaches see me, what position I’ll play, and working on different things out of that spot.”

bob
MY NOTE:  I haven't watched any film on Langford, so I don't have an opinion on him (yet) but, from what I understand, he was expected to go somewhere close to the top 5 if his concerns about his thumb going forward and how it diluted his last season's performance, and so he dropped to us at #14.  A player like that, if he has any work ethic at all, will work his way into minutes.  What's really exciting is that there's a lot of positive buzz on this board about our team and next season and NONE of that buzz has included Romeo's impact.  If he's not ready for prime time, he sits and/or goes to Maine, and the team we're getting excited about is still there.  If he shows us something then that's the cherry on top.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics rookie Romeo Langford’s thumb is 'basically’ 100 percent, talks Kemba Walker & more Empty Re: Boston Celtics rookie Romeo Langford’s thumb is 'basically’ 100 percent, talks Kemba Walker & more

Post by dboss Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:37 am

It is hard to get a take on Langford especially his shooting ability.  So far the thumb injury has been the proverbial crutch.  With 'The Thumb" at 100% we can expect to learn more about  his ability to knock down the deep ball and make his FT's.  He shot 72% in one year at Indiana.

Regardless of the thumb, he has a lot of work to do on his jumper.  His mechanics are not great.  The Celtics shooting coach will need to work with him on that.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics rookie Romeo Langford’s thumb is 'basically’ 100 percent, talks Kemba Walker & more Empty Re: Boston Celtics rookie Romeo Langford’s thumb is 'basically’ 100 percent, talks Kemba Walker & more

Post by bobheckler Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:26 pm

dboss wrote:It is hard to get a take on Langford especially his shooting ability.  So far the thumb injury has been the proverbial crutch.  With 'The Thumb" at 100% we can expect to learn more about  his ability to knock down the deep ball and make his FT's.  He shot 72% in one year at Indiana.

Regardless of the thumb, he has a lot of work to do on his jumper.  His mechanics are not great.  The Celtics shooting coach will need to work with him on that.

dboss,

What, then, is/are his forte(s)? Why was he talked about as a possible high draft pick until his thumb screwed up his season?

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:51 pm

bobheckler wrote:
dboss wrote:It is hard to get a take on Langford especially his shooting ability.  So far the thumb injury has been the proverbial crutch.  With 'The Thumb" at 100% we can expect to learn more about  his ability to knock down the deep ball and make his FT's.  He shot 72% in one year at Indiana.

dboss,

What, then, is/are his forte(s)?  Why was he talked about as a possible high draft pick until his thumb screwed up his season?

bob

He has a great physical profile and his 6' 11" wingspan should translate well into a solid defender that can switch.  He has a knack for getting to the rim and getting to the line.    He was a top HS players which pushed his hype up.  

I do not think the thumb is the only issue with his shooting from the outside.  

I am sure the Celtics will work with him to improve his mechanics.  I think he'll be fine.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:13 pm

We didn't get to see Romeo in summer league so I watched some film.

He has a very nice backstep jumper.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:27 am

I like this pick, he can be another very effective 2 way wing, not a freak athlete, but strong finisher, very good handle, reminds me of Paul Pierce....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:41 am

Not every player has to be a great shooter - this kid has potential to be a great scorer, which we have lacked off the bench for a long time. Very excited for his upside, and his decision of playing all season for IU with an injury - says a lot about his character and team first make up.

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:59 am

His father insisted Romeo play football so he could understand, first hand, what it takes to finish through contact.  That narrative plays right into his willingness to play with a bad shooting hand.  Marcus Smart is a tough guy, a real tough guy, not a faux tough guy.  Romeo could be another, and you just cannot have enough players on your team who will do whatever it takes.

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/gabby-guerard/boston-celtics-romeo-langfords-lessons-playing-football-influenced-his-ability

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:11 pm

Haven’t seen Romeo play at this level, but like he’s got toughness. I think G Will has toughness, how do you become 2 time PoY in the SEC as an undersized PF? With skill and toughness....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:01 pm

To me Langford was the most curious of the batch of 2019 Celtic draft picks.

Obviously he has great character and is tough.

I thought his overall game was just OK, but the thumb certainly had to be a big factor in what I thought were his limitations. I cringe when I hear that anyone would base his shooting ability on high school results, especially for a player that didn't attend one of the big basketball preps. He did, however, win Indiana's Mr. Basketball, and that state is a true hoops hotbed.

I chalk this one up to the team must know what they're doing, especially with a pick this high. If he pans out, the depth at wing is going to be incredible.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:23 pm

NYCelt

He will get a chance but is somewhat behind the 8 ball having missed an opportunity to play in the summer league.

Jaylen Brown had a hitch in his shot coming out of California.  Remember he shot just 29.4% from behind the arc.  He put the work in with his coaching staff and is now a career 36.5% shooter from deep even after having a sub par year from deep.

If Romeo has the work ethic, Boston has all the tools and coaching to help him become a better shooter.

I do not think he was the best pure shooting guard in the draft but perhaps he has a chance to be a two-way guard.  Offense may get you on the court but high level defense will keep you there.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down