Boston Celtics’ ‘super talented’ rookie Romeo Langford is making his case for extended minutes

+3
KyleCleric
BingBang!
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Boston Celtics’ ‘super talented’ rookie Romeo Langford is making his case for extended minutes  Empty Boston Celtics’ ‘super talented’ rookie Romeo Langford is making his case for extended minutes

Post by bobheckler Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:35 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/12/boston-celtics-super-talented-rookie-romeo-langford-is-making-his-case-for-extended-minutes-tom-westerholm.html

Boston Celtics’ ‘super talented’ rookie Romeo Langford is making his case for extended minutes

Today 10:46 AM

Boston Celtics’ ‘super talented’ rookie Romeo Langford is making his case for extended minutes  SDI3IOFHVZFTFOXVXRSVCAIVYA
Boston Celtics' Romeo Langford (45) plays against the Cleveland Cavaliers during the second half of an NBA preseason basketball game in Boston, Sunday, Oct. 13, 2019. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com

BOSTON -- For months, as Romeo Langford battled a head-shaking variety of injuries, all Boston Celtics media and fans heard about the rookie were glowing reviews from his teammates of his performance in practice.

“I remember when he had his first practice, I could see how good he is, how strong he is, how physical he is,” Javonte Green said. “I feel like he’s going to progress well and mature well.”

“He’s super talented,” Jayson Tatum added. “We’ve all seen him a lot in practice."

Now those of us who can’t see behind Brad Stevens’ practice curtain have a better idea what Langford’s teammates mean. Sunday’s game against the Charlotte Hornets wasn’t his first appearance in an NBA game, and his eight points weren’t his first NBA field goals. But Langford hit a pair of 3-pointers and stuck with a layup through multiple attempts, tallying eight points. Defensively, he showed real flashes, and he pulled down four rebounds in 20 minutes.

A late December game against a borderline lottery team felt like an emergence of sorts for the 2019 lottery pick.

“His defense was excellent today,” Brad Stevens said. "You can go back and you can watch the Dallas game, it’s night and day what three games of experience will do for you. ... He’s a very versatile wing defender, he got his hands on some balls. He chased people off screens, and he played really hard. Obviously knocking down those shots was nice, but I was encouraged by Romeo’s play all weekend.”

Plenty of Celtics fans seemed ready to declare Langford a bust after he missed extended time with a variety of injuries. The name “James Young” has been thrown around liberally, which was always a lazy comparison -- Young was mostly a spot-up shooter (who could only kind of shoot in college), whereas Langford was a do-everything wing at Indiana with phenomenal touch finishing around the rim and a good sense of how to run an NBA pick-and-roll. The former is the archetype of a player who washes out of the league relatively quickly if he doesn’t hit shots early. The latter is the type of player NBA teams pursue enthusiastically in the modern game, especially with some reasonable polish on a 3-point shot.

Speaking of which ...

“I feel a lot more comfortable (shooting),” Langford said after Sunday’s game. “It feels natural now. I mean, I shoot a lot all the time now, and I feel like it’s paying off and it’s working.”

Langford has been working on that shot with Celtics assistant Joe Mazzulla, a Rhode Island native who played for West Virginia in college before entering the coaching ranks at Fairmont State. Mazzulla has patiently helped the 20-year-old re-work his jumper, coaxing his guide hand off the ball and convincing him to stop cocking the ball back over his head so far.

The result: A much smoother release, and a jumper that even a previously skeptical Langford admits is preferable.

Boston Celtics
✔
@celtics
Romeo with another triple  👀

https://twitter.com/celtics/status/1208910549393625089
9:41 PM - Dec 22, 2019

“At first, I was like, ‘They don’t know what they’re talking about,’” Langford said, smiling. “But I bought into it because I didn’t shoot the ball that well last year, as you can see. But I just bought in and just kept taking it day-by-day, seeing it improve. And now, where it’s at, I can’t be mad about changing it.”

Mazzulla believes Langford has benefited over the last few weeks from some semblance of consistency, a real issue in the first few months of his career (through no fault of his own).

“This is the first time in a long time where he’s 100 percent healthy and he’s here, just working,” Mazzulla said. “He’s developing a routine, he likes his routine, and it’s just a matter of just chipping away at it. And I think he’s really bought into that.”

Discussing the elephant in the room feels premature, but still: If Langford is ready to contribute, how do the Celtics get him on the court? Boston looks like a contender based on its wing depth even if Langford doesn’t play another minute this year. Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown both look like All-Stars. Gordon Hayward has had injury issues, but when he takes the floor, he’s back to his previous form -- also an All-Star. After thousands of hours of work, Semi Ojeleye finally appears to have found the range on his 3-point range, and his defense makes him difficult to pull from the rotation. Javonte Green gives a ton of effort on the defensive end as well, and he’s a better offensive player than the Tony Allen comparisons would lead one to believe.

So where does Langford fit in? It’s hard to say, but his talent is obvious. So far, his biggest contributions have been on the defensive end and as an off-ball threat -- spacing the floor and attacking closeouts. That role could easily expand, since Langford’s real strength (which Stevens has hinted at on multiple occasions) is his feel in the pick-and-roll at his size.

“He might not get to play as much when we have our full roster,” Stevens said. “But I think what this does is it gives you a great comfort if you have to throw him in there for an extended period of time, he’s going to do exactly what we need to do.”

For now, Langford’s role may be pure luxury for the Celtics -- an effective option in case of injuries and a spot rotation player as he gains confidence.

But Stevens might face a familiar (and presumably welcome) problem soon: A glut of talented young wings all vying for minutes and opportunities.

“It feels good to just be able to play basketball again,” Langford said. “Not having to sit on the sideline in a dress coat and watching them play. I’m just happy and blessed that I’m able to play now and I’ve just got to keep taking care of my body and take it day by day.”

Langford was asked if the NBA game feels fast, a common theme from players just entering the league.

“It’s not that fast at all,” he said. “I feel like the G-League is faster than out there. I thought it was going to be a lot faster, but nah.”

So maybe don’t write him off just yet.

bob

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
about 4 hours ago
During Romeo Langford's 23 minutes on Sunday night, the #Celtics allowed a team-low 71 points per 100 possessions. Brad Stevens on the rookie: "His defense was excellent."

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics’ ‘super talented’ rookie Romeo Langford is making his case for extended minutes  Empty Re: Boston Celtics’ ‘super talented’ rookie Romeo Langford is making his case for extended minutes

Post by BingBang! Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:51 pm

When Brad said ” the game comes easy to him” in training camp as he knew him from Indiana hoops, I took Brad at his word. Brad now complimenting his defense in an actual NBA game tells me Romeo is an asset with a very high ceiling. On a related note, the Celtics shooting coach should get some Tommy points for fixing Marcus’ and Romeo’s shots.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Boston Celtics’ ‘super talented’ rookie Romeo Langford is making his case for extended minutes  Empty Re: Boston Celtics’ ‘super talented’ rookie Romeo Langford is making his case for extended minutes

Post by KyleCleric Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:13 pm

To be fair to Romeo, it hasn’t been clear that his shot was ever broken as opposed to just playing injured

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:11 pm

You can pick several plays but the most impressive one i saw was his defense off a high pick and role where he refuse to go under the screen and instead fought he way over the top and stayed with his man only to be called for a foul.  I saw determination.  I saw an understanding that going over the top was a man's game.  Mostly what I saw was, recognition and physicality.

Romeo has a chance to become a solid rotation wing.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:18 pm

only to be called for a foul

A foul which he actually did not commit!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:13 pm

W

Brad will get him some minutes. I do not know what happens when Smart and Hayward return but he could be in rotation. At #14 that is expected. If he stays healthy, he plays even when those guys return. We should expect for him to be our best draft pick.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:29 am

Excellent article, that’s what I love about this board, we don’t miss a thing. Danny should be given credit again for getting great coaches to work with all the young guys. The coaching/training/drafting has all been outstanding. Last game I couldn’t believe how good Romeo looked, we obviously have a great state of art modern technology/equipment training facility and these kids have such a great chance to be the best versions of themselves. This team is so budding with young talent, GWill is leaps and bounds better than a few weeks ago, Tremont is gonna get a further shot down the road, Green is improving every game too in his role. If RWill ever gets his shit together...??? Amazing how much young talent we have.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:23 am

Plus the Memphis pick coming....
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:53 am

worcester wrote:Plus the Memphis pick coming....

I know, as if the Nets heist wasn’t the deal of the century, will go down as equal or even more beneficial than the Parish and McHale deal for Joe Barry, which was the standard for deal of the century, then he pulls that deal and gets the uber majestic there’s nothing he can’t do Jayson Tatum AND Romeo Langford who suddenly also is ozzing star potential and ability already....he saw thru all the hype on Faultz and Ball. Poor Magic Johnson is gonna look like a _ _ _ _ _ you fill in the word as the years go by and he passed on Tatum and Brown and this gang continues to overwhelm teams.....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:09 am

Yea. The Grizz pick will be icing on one very delicious cake if I know Danny.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:48 am

Kyle - in the post game interview he credited the Cs shooting coaches with taking the hitch out of his shot. More specifically, Romeo said he was bringing the ball too far back over his head when he shot. As for Marcus that is conjecture on my part but he too has lost his (sometimes) hitch.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:55 pm

To add to the thought that Stevens has added some quality coaches to work with this batch of young players, I think that this is the type of team that Stevens really likes to coach (and, coaches very well).

As many thought that Rivers did not work especially well with young guys, it seems that Stevens works exceptionally well with young guys.

This year the Cs have lots of young guys and many unselfish younger type veterans (Hayward, Smart, Kanter, Walker, etc) with no older guys who are selfish and have to play for themselves.

Stevens will not be able to only to only work with a team of young players to get to the championships the team wants to win as squads with only a couple of guys over 26 usually do not win NBA titles.

Also, Ainge deserves plenty of credit for acquiring the guys he has on this year's team. I hope he has learned a very good lesson after getting overwhelmed with Irving's talent and overlooking his moodiness stuff.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down