Celtics rookie Tacko Fall focusing on pick-and-roll defense this summer

+2
worcester
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Celtics rookie Tacko Fall focusing on pick-and-roll defense this summer Empty Celtics rookie Tacko Fall focusing on pick-and-roll defense this summer

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:47 am

https://clutchpoints.com/celtics-news-tacko-fall-focusing-on-pick-and-roll-defense-summer/

Celtics rookie Tacko Fall focusing on pick-and-roll defense this summer

by Ralph Orense

September 14, 2019

Tacko Fall went undrafted in the 2019 NBA Draft, and while he put on a solid performance for the Boston Celtics in the Summer League, he knows very well that he has a lot to work on.

According to Tom Westerholm of Mass Live, the 7-foot-7 behemoth has spent the entire summer working on his game. Interestingly, one of the things that he’s been focusing to improve is his pick and roll defense.

“That’s pretty much one of the biggest things I’ve worked on this summer,” Fall said of his pick and role defense. “All the coaches, especially Jerome, has done a pretty good job of breaking it down for me, and that’s really helped me a lot this summer so far.”

Fall signed an Exhibit 10 contract with the Celtics, which means that making the opening night roster will depend on how good he’ll be in training camp and preseason. With that said, he needs to quickly learn and adapt to the team’s style of play.

“Just making sure I learn everything about the team as much as possible. The way they play and what my role is going to be and doing it to the best of my ability,” the 23-year-old center added.

The Celtics are aiming to make a deep run in the playoffs, but with Enes Kanter as the only reliable center, the team will need their youngsters to improve as quickly as possible. Although they’re not putting a lot of their hopes on Fall, Boston is still optimistic that the undrafted big man will be able to live up to the hype and prove everyone that he is one of the best rookies in this year’s draft class.

bob
MY NOTE: The NBA is a pnr league so, if you're going to work on anything on defense, that would be a good one.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics rookie Tacko Fall focusing on pick-and-roll defense this summer Empty Re: Celtics rookie Tacko Fall focusing on pick-and-roll defense this summer

Post by worcester Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:42 am

I really like the intelligence Tacko shows. Now if he and LeBron team up for a Taco franchise...
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Celtics rookie Tacko Fall focusing on pick-and-roll defense this summer Empty Re: Celtics rookie Tacko Fall focusing on pick-and-roll defense this summer

Post by dboss Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:59 am

I am pulling for him to land the 15th spot.  That is a low risk decision to make.

Fans are gonna love him.  

Kanter is probably a short term piece.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:32 pm

our new twin towers look

Celtics rookie Tacko Fall focusing on pick-and-roll defense this summer Usa_today_13014114.0

Celtics rookie Tacko Fall focusing on pick-and-roll defense this summer Robert-williams-boston-celtics-flex-file
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by k_j_88 Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:37 pm

I'd love to see RW and TF.

KJ
k_j_88
k_j_88

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:12 pm

As I have mentioned before, this guy needs to be on the roster as at least the 15th man.

He has dramatically improved from the end of his last collegiate season to summer ball. It is now very likely that he improves again from summer ball to pre season camp, and then further improves throughout the entire season.

He is not just huge, but also very intelligent, does not hog the ball, appears to be well liked by the other players, knows that he has lots to learn, has no trouble with English, wants very much to keep getting better and better. I just cannot imagine him not contributing more in just his first professional season than Yabusele did in his three seasons after being drafted. IF there was room for Yabusele there HAS to be room for Fall even if spends some time in Maine.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:12 pm

We did not see them paired much at all during summer league and I doubt we will see a pairing this season. 

I think Fall makes the roster and will spend time up in Maine working on his game.

He will get called down when there is room on the 13 man active roster.  I do not know why a team cannot carry all 15 guys on the active roster.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:13 pm

wideclyde wrote:As I have mentioned before, this guy needs to be on the roster as at least the 15th man.

He has dramatically improved from the end of his last collegiate season to summer ball.  It is now very likely that he improves again from summer ball to pre season camp, and then further improves throughout the entire season.

He is not just huge, but also very intelligent, does not hog the ball, appears to be well liked by  the other players, knows that he has lots to learn, has no trouble with English, wants very much to keep getting better and better.  I just cannot imagine him not contributing more in just his first professional season than Yabusele did in his three seasons after being drafted.  IF there was room for Yabusele there HAS to be room for Fall even if spends some time in Maine.
+1
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:27 pm

He's also working on his mid-range game.

This is a tweet from Enes Kanter today.  Look at the highlighted video link.

Enes Kanter

Verified account

@EnesKanter
Follow Follow @EnesKanter
More
7’7 Big Guard @tackofall99 😤
https://twitter.com/EnesKanter/status/1175069663744745472
8:30 AM - 20 Sep 2019

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:44 pm

Who is going to be able to defend Tacko's mid range shot without a step ladder, which is not allowed equipment or dress gear in the current Collective Bargaining Agreement?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:15 am

I can see Fall maybe playing 5 minutes and blocking one shot or at least altering a shot or two, getting 2-3 rebounds, and scoring 4 points in any game.

Not bad for a rookie who was undrafted, and if you take the stats out to 20 minutes he would be able to have a meaningful spot on the team.

Of course, he will have to further improve from his summer league play to accomplish the predicted stats, but I fully expect him to be able to accomplish such improvement.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:39 am

It's all fine and wonderful Tacko is hitting elbow jumpers, if nothing else it will improve his frito shooting, but this is not what I am looking for.  I want him to devote his time to building up his lower body, so he can establish and hold his position on offense and defense in the paint and low blocks, and then do baby skyhooks.   NOBODY will be able to stop him on offense if he can get to where he wants to go, doesn't get pushed out and gets the ball above his head without basket interference because it will be heading downward as soon as it leaves his hand. Tacko is a stretch 5 like Avery Bradley was a point guard.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:03 pm

Bob,

I agree with you that I would also like to see Fall getting stronger, but adding strength is kind of a slower process. With that said, I am sure that the Cs training staff has been working with him and we will see improvement since his summer league play. He may just be too long to ever look really muscular.

His elbow jumpers are a good sign that he will be able to shoot free throws better than we all originally expected after the draft. His shooting stroke looks pretty smooth. Just another way that he has already shown improvement with more to come.

He may never be a stretch 5, but the Cs offense can evolve around him in time if he keeps improving.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down