Where do Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters stand after Celtics rookie years?

+3
jrleftfoot
NYCelt
bobheckler
7 posters

Go down

Where do Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters stand after Celtics rookie years? Vote_lcap13%Where do Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters stand after Celtics rookie years? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 1 ]
Where do Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters stand after Celtics rookie years? Vote_lcap25%Where do Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters stand after Celtics rookie years? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 2 ]
Where do Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters stand after Celtics rookie years? Vote_lcap38%Where do Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters stand after Celtics rookie years? Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 3 ]
Where do Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters stand after Celtics rookie years? Vote_lcap24%Where do Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters stand after Celtics rookie years? Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 2 ]
Where do Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters stand after Celtics rookie years? Vote_lcap0%Where do Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters stand after Celtics rookie years? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 8

Where do Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters stand after Celtics rookie years? Empty Where do Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters stand after Celtics rookie years?

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:11 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/where-tacko-fall-tremont-waters-152647699.html

Chris Forsberg

Tue, October 20, 2020, 8:26 AM PDT

* Each weekday for the rest of October, our Chris Forsberg will put a member of the 2019-20 Celtics under the microscope, assessing their season and what the future holds for that player:

+7.4 / +6.9

Those were the net ratings for Tremont Waters and Tacko Fall, respectively, for the Maine Red Claws this season. Those were the top numbers among regulars and only fellow rookie Romeo Langford was better with a plus-12.4 in 166 minutes on assignment.

Maine had a team-best offensive rating of 112 with Waters on the court, helping him earn both the G-League Rookie of the Year and a spot on the All-G-League second team. The Claws had a defensive rating of 97 — or 8.8 points per 100 possession less than their season average — when Fall was on the court, helping him earn a spot on the G-League All-Defensive first team.

What went right for Waters/Fall in 2020

The Celtics snagged Waters with the 51st overall pick in the draft and, while he spent the majority of the year in Maine, he showed in small glimpses that he could confidently run an NBA offense. Last season was all about development and Waters got 1,217 minutes in Maine to hone his game and state his case for a spot on the NBA roster moving forward.

The 7-foot-5 Fall was a fan favorite from the first time he stepped on the court at summer league. While incredibly raw, Fall performed better than most might have expected. And he made most NBA guards look like schoolchildren next to him. It didn’t matter if he was active for games or not, Celtics fans would chant for Fall throughout games and the roof would practically explode on TD Garden whenever we actually got a bit of Tacko Time.

What went wrong for Waters/Fall in 2020

For all the encouraging glimpses in the G-League, Waters’ NBA minutes highlighted some areas he needs to tighten up to emerge as a backup guard for this team. He struggled with his shot, connecting on just 28.6 percent of his attempts overall and 16.7 of 3-pointers in 119 minutes of floor time. The Celtics turned the ball over a team-high 17.7 percent of possessions with Waters on the floor. He’s got to prove his size won’t be a detriment, defensively, when he’s on the court as well.

Fall has a long way to go to prove he’s a rotation-caliber NBA big man but very little went wrong this year. About the worst thing that happened was Fall got inserted into a playoff game against Toronto to defend a final play, only for Kyle Lowry to lob a perfect crosscourt inbounds pass to OG Anunoby for the Game 3 winner.

Early outlook for Waters/Fall for 2021

If the Celtics don’t retain Brad Wanamaker, or otherwise add a ball-handler this offseason, Waters could be in line to elevate to a spot on the parent roster. His playmaking ability is undeniable and he was excellent in the G-League but there’s still strides to be made to be a consistent rotation presence at the NBA level.

Fall’s situation is a little trickier. Another season in the G-League is probably his best development path but his popularity and potential could entice another team to carry him on their NBA roster. Fall’s willingness to accept another 2-way deal with Boston could hinge on that outside interest.

Bob
MY NOTE:  Multiple Choice is allowed, so you can support one or the other or neither.  Vote Cancelling is also allowed, so you can reconsider your vote.  If you vote 'Other' please explain what it would be.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Where do Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters stand after Celtics rookie years? Empty Re: Where do Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters stand after Celtics rookie years?

Post by NYCelt Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:55 pm

I voted to let Tacko and Edwards go or go to Maine.

Both are nice stories, but I don't think either one can earn or keep a roster spot.

Neither gives the team what is needed to move the needle forward.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Where do Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters stand after Celtics rookie years? Empty Re: Where do Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters stand after Celtics rookie years?

Post by jrleftfoot Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:45 pm

I'd make Fall the 15th guy. He couldn't be less useful than Poirer, Edwards and Green . Of course, Kanter's decision is crucial. I couldn't decide on Waters. Again, there is too little info. Is Wanamaker coming back? Who else is out there in our price range?
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:40 pm

I watched alot of Maine Red Claws game last season before all hell broke loose and they got shut down. I know that Waters was valuable for them, but I have to tell you, he can be reckless at times. Always looking for the razzle dazzle play. His shooting was decent. In all, I am not a huge fan of keeping him on the bench, but I would wonder if he might be useful piece in a trade. During the season, there were GM's who commented that he was "ready" to be a backup pg. I am not so sure about that, and if everyone was so upset about Kemba and how small he is, why would we add another little guy?

Fall cannot be any worse than Poirier, I say keep him again on a two way and see if he improves. If not, there is always midseason moves that can be made.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:58 pm

I am 100% with you Ros.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:22 am

I think Tacko will get a NBA deal next season. Probably with another team, unless Ainge can dump Poirier's deal in a trade move.

I like Waters, even if he is only 5-10. If he was 6-2 he'd have been a first round pick. he was G-league ROY and in limited time showed he can play as BU in the NBA.

I would keep him over players like Edwards or Green, but not as a replacement for Wanamaker.

so, I guess I see BOTH players on NBA roster next season. Not sure if either will be here, but since most complained about having too many rookies last year I prefer to keep players that have been in the system a year.

of course Ainge does that have that pesky problem of having three first round picks to deal with.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:48 am

I am not sure that Fall will be fully ready to be our third center, but for two reasons I will not count him out just yet either.

First, as has been mentioned by several, he will be every bit as good of a third string center than Poirier was. Second, as much as he has improved already if he is still working as hard as he did last off season he may just be able to handle a full roster spot as the third center.

Waters is another question in my mind. He has some offensive talent, but it may be completely obliterated by his size on defense if he has to play in more than mop up minutes. Walker was abused defensively in the playoffs and he is FIVE inches taller than Waters.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down