Return men: Quick thoughts on the players returning from last year’s team

3 posters

Go down

Return men: Quick thoughts on the players returning from last year’s team Empty Return men: Quick thoughts on the players returning from last year’s team

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:11 pm

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/9/29/20888761/return-men-quick-thoughts-on-the-players-returning-from-last-years-team-tatum-brown-smart

Return men: Quick thoughts on the players returning from last year’s team

It has to be better than last year, right?

By Jeff Clark@celticsblog  Sep 29, 2019, 8:00am EDT

Return men: Quick thoughts on the players returning from last year’s team 1137829438.jpg.0
Photo by Brian Babineau/NBAE via Getty Images

I shared my quick thoughts on the departing players and fresh faces, so it only seems fitting to finish with thoughts about the returning players. On one hand, these guys were part of an underwhelming and frustrating group last year. On the other hand, they have been part of better things in the past and could be part of great things in the future. A lot will depend on how each of these guys takes another step forward this season.

Jayson Tatum

This is the year, right? Year three seems like a good time to break out. He’s tasted early success and fought through the adversity of a rough season. Time to take those lessons and put them to work on taking that next step in his game. Everything is set up for him to be a focal point of the offense. I think he’ll take that opportunity and run with it. If not, well then perhaps it is time to dial back the expectations.

Jaylen Brown

Similar to Tatum, this is a very important year for Jaylen. Is he going to play himself into being a max level free agent (it just takes one team to think he’s worth that)? Can he expand his game and create more off the dribble? Will he find enough touches in the offense? Will he be a candidate to be traded in order to balance the roster better? Lots of questions but he seems as focused as ever heading into a contract year.

Gordon Hayward

We’re headed into year 3 and we still haven’t seen the “real” Gordon Hayward. I don’t know that “Utah Gordon” is still something that is reasonable to expect or even hope for anymore. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be very valuable to the Celtics this season and perhaps beyond. My hope is that on offense he fills the Al Horford role of steady handed facilitator. Too much last year he seemed like a spectator so he does need to follow through on being more aggressive. If not, then he might be an expiring contract trade chip by mid year.

Marcus Smart

The Captain of the Boston Celtics in everything except the official title. The 3 point shooting albatross plagued him for years but last year he finally improved enough to be considered a reasonable threat from long distance. That key element unlocked the rest of his “winning plays” game. Ironically it happened after he cashed in on a big contract extension. That’s just how the unconventional Marcus rolls. Looking forward to more leadership and Tommy Points for Smart this season.

Semi Ojeleye

This is year 3 for Semi and he’s best known for having ginormous muscles and kinda-sorta slowing down Giannis on occasion. Can he knock down 3’s consistently enough to earn more playing time? Or will he be passed up by rookie Grant Williams?

Daniel Theis

Nagging injuries seemed to hold him back last year. If he can get back to playing his best basketball he’ll be in the mix for heavy rotation minutes. If not, then there are 3 other centers that would be more than happy to sop up those minutes.

Robert Williams

Speaking of centers, Williams has perhaps the widest range of potential outcomes. He has the upside to eventually be the starting center for the Celtics for years to come. He also has the downside of toiling in the G-League. He has all the athletic tools and some of the instincts needed to be a defensive stud, but he needs the game to slow down for him to get there.

Brad Wanamaker

Buried under a depth chart that wasn’t producing had to be a frustrating experience for Brad. The depth chart hasn’t gotten any shallower this year either. Wanamaker is injury insurance and will professionally go about his job in the right way. Not sure how much more to expect from him but you never know.

Ok, I feel like I’m ready for Media Day now. How about you?

bob
MY NOTE:  And Media Day is TOMORROW!!!

Most of what Jeff Clark wrote is pretty obvious but I disagree with him on two players:  Theis and Wanamaker.  Theis can play 4, a legit NBA 4.  We really don't have another player we can say that about (Cowens thinks The Time Lord can play 4 but he has never shown he can.  I think he could on defense but not on offense.  Don't want you to think I'm dissing you, Cow), so Theis is it.  That means his conclusion that if Theis can't play his best basketball "there are 3 other centers that would be more than happy to sop up those minutes" is a flawed conclusion.  Grant Williams?  Maybe but, once again, unproven.  As far as Wanamaker goes, what is the depth chart behind Kemba?  Carsen Edwards?  I think Edwards will get solid minutes for a rookie, but first point guard off the bench?  I say 'no'.  It'll be 30-year old veteran, both in professional basketball and with Brad Stevens' system, Brad Wanamaker.  Wanamaker didn't re-sign for a fraction of what he could have made in Europe, where he's recognized as a champion, for the same role as last year.  I think Brad Wanamaker will get solid rotation minutes, somewhere between 16-22mpg if I had to take a stab at some numbers.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Return men: Quick thoughts on the players returning from last year’s team Empty Re: Return men: Quick thoughts on the players returning from last year’s team

Post by dboss Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:41 pm

Bob

I agree that Theis should be able to play 4 but based on a look at the 5 man lineups last year, Theis was never paired with either Horford or Baynes.  

Never!

Going into this season I really do not see Theis getting a lot of minutes at the 4 because they need him most at the 5 in small ball lineups.

Who knows, maybe this year Brad will put him at 4 but so far there is little evidence that 4 is the best fit for him.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Return men: Quick thoughts on the players returning from last year’s team Empty Re: Return men: Quick thoughts on the players returning from last year’s team

Post by dboss Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:52 pm

Brad Wannamaker is not getting anything close to 16-22 MPG.  He played less than 10 minutes last year (only 36 games)

I figure Walker eats up 32-34 MPG at the point.  Then you have Marcus Smart who will play the point as well.  Edward the dynamic rookie will round out our 3 man PG rotation.

Wannmaker is a good veteran to have on any team but he is a 30 year old with zero upside.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:28 pm

dboss,

Agree; yes Theis is a 5.

I also believe Wannamaker is probably emergency only.

Regards
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:50 pm

NYCelt wrote:dboss,

Agree; yes Theis is a 5.

I also believe Wannamaker is probably emergency only.

Regards

Wannamaker is a solid veteran. If Ainge did not draft Edwards we would likely see more of him.

Hoping Theis is healthy and remains that way all year. His impotance went up a notch or 2.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down