my thoughts about various players for trade.

+10
Ktron
Vankisa
RosalieTCeltics
cowens/oldschool
tjmakz
dbrown4
dboss
jrleftfoot
bobheckler
kdp59
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

my thoughts about various players for trade. Empty my thoughts about various players for trade.

Post by kdp59 Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:18 pm

Some thoughts of some the players rumored or talked about as Celtic trades options (some not) using the TPE (and other assets in most cases)by the trade deadline.

While we all know Ainge has a $28M TPE to use, he can only add a max total salary of around $19M this year before he hits the Tax Ceiling. So to use the entire $28M this year, Ainge  would have to move out $9M in salary.

In no particular order here:

Harrison Barnes- Sac

Barnes name has been bouncing around the web as a trade option for a while now. The 28YO 6-8 wing is under contract for $22m this year and $20M and $18 the next two years. He has been a solid two way player for a while now with GS, Dal and the kings and has a ring when he started with GS. Fits best as a third of fourth option on offense and certainly fits today’s 3 and D NBA.

Kings have not said they are looking to move him openly, so the cost may be more than Ainge would want to pay. There have been recent online chatter that the kings would take Nesmith and a first for Barnes. If that’s true that should be a deal Ainge looks at strongly, IMO.

Chance of Barnes being traded anywhere by the deadline- 50%

Aaron Gordon-Orl

Gordon has seemed to be around forever, but he is only 25YO. The 6-8 big man hs a $18M salary this year and a $16M salary next season.  Came into the NBA as a 19Yo high flyer/dunker and now is hitting more 3’s (36% on 4 a game this year). His career 3 pt % is around 32% however. Solid rebounder and defender from the 4, but not a real rim protector.

If Orlando is looking to move on from him at this age , they would be looking for future assets one would think. They do have need at PG for this season, due to injuries. But we don’t have anyone to send them to fill that need right now, unless a third team was added. Would an  Ainge offer Teague, Nesmith and a first get it done?

Chance of Gordon being moved somewhere by the deadline- 70%

Nikola Vucevic- Orl

Vucevic is having an all-star season at age 30 this year. The 6-11 big man is making $26M this season and $24 and $22 each of the next two. Vucevic is a 20/ 10 guy who has added a 3 point shot to his game the past 3 years. He is not much of a rim protector and is an average defender .

Doubtful that Orlando is looking to move him right now and if they are open to it I would think the price would high. Since they need a PG Smart would have to be ONE piece that Ainge would need to part with to get Vucevic, IMO. In fact I think it would cost Smart, Thompson or Theis and a first at least. I should note a Smart/ Thompson deal can probably be done alone with no TPE.

Chance of Vucevic being moved somewhere by the deadline- 10%

Thaddeus Young- Chic

Young is a 32YO 6-8 vet player who has settled into a back roll the past couples years. He makes $13.5m this year and $14M next season at age 33. He gets points and can rebound and play solid defense against NBA 4’s. he also is a career 66% FT shooter who has gotten worst each of the past few years (49% this year). His 3 point shooting was solid in the past but is down to 23% now.

I am very sure Chicago would LOVE to unload his deal right now, but I’m not sure what he has to offer a contending team at his current contract. Frankly he seems like a buyout candidate more than a trade piece to me.

Chance of Young being traded somewhere by the deadline- 10%
Chance of Young being bought out- 50%

Al Horford- Okc

We all know who Horford is here, I would note his numbers this year are similar to his numbers when he was here before. So he’s still the same player at age 35 now. He makes $27M this year and $27 next season with $14.5M guaranteed the following season after that. That’s a big chunk of salary to take on for a player his age for sure.

Okc is selling to get future assets and would like to move Horford’s contract it would seem. A deal of Horford for Thompson would work cap wise, but I’m not sure the Celtic s get much , except a larger salary there.

Chance of Horford being moved somewhere by the deadline- 50%

Bradley Beal- Wash

I’m not spend a lot of thought on Beal, as I doubt Washington is going to move him anytime soon. In fact I think they make the playoffs this year and Beal will stay put long term since Wall is long gone.

Any talk of Ainge getting Beal to play with his bud Tatum in Boston would START with Brown and move UP from there, IMO. We’d be talking about a Harden like deal, where the nest gave up Levert, Allen, Prince (that’s THREE STARTERS) AND three first rounder and three possible pick swaps.

Chance of Beal being moved somewhere by the deadline- 10% or less

Victor Oladipo- Hou

28YO Oladipo has shown he is back fully from his injury last year, which means he is a good NBA player a step below all star for sure. He is on an expiring $21M contract , which means he is a rental only and will be a UFA next season.

Houston would likely be willing to move him for a future asset; if they feel they don’t have a chance to resign him (chatter is he wants to play at Miami next). If Ainge would want to add him as a short term rental this season, he would likely have to part with a lesser young asset or protected first round pick. He would need to move out at least $2m in salary either way.

Chance of Oladipo being moved somewhere by the deadline- 40%

Rajon Rondo- Atl

Another player Celtic fans know well. 34 YO now and has played abut 15min/g in 18 games so far this year. He has a $7.5M salary this year and the same for next season. Many Celtic fans would love to have him back and others would pass.

Ainge could probably bring him back for part of that TPE and maybe sending Teague back to Atlanta, if he wants him here and Rondo would come back. I would want at least a second round pick coming back to pick the extra $12M in salary I’d be eating here. Frankly I think Teague and Rondo are a wash pretty much at this point, but I understand many Celtic fans think differently on that one.

Chance of Rondo being moved somewhere by the deadline- 75%

John Collins- Atl

Collins is a 23Yo 6-9 big man playing the final year of his rookie deal. He makes only $4.1M in salary and will be a RFA next season. He also wants a max contract extension, putting him the J. Brown Salary level. Collins was a 20/10 guy last year and his numbers are down slightly due to less minutes  to 18/7.he fits todays NBA as big with 3point shooting as he;s hit on close to 40% on 3.5 per game over the past two years. While he blocks some shots, he’s not considered a good defender . Adequate comes to mind for him on that end, to me.

IF Ainge trades for Collins, it means he sees him a key part of the future here and is willing to give him a max or near max deal. SO it would be a all in move for sure.  There have been rumors that the Hawks will move him if the price is right ( do they already know he wants to sign elsewhere?). This is NOT a TPE deal at all, in fact Ainge would have to send real assets to get him, IMO. I can’t think the hawks would take anything less than Smart in any deal that involves Collins

Chance of Collins being moved somewhere by the deadline- 40%

Andre Drummond- Clev

Drummond is one of those dinosaur bigs , he would have fit much better in the NBA 20 years ago for sure. Still only 27YO and on an expiring $28M deal (he does NOT fit into the TPE the Celtics have).one of the top rebounders in the NBA year after year and puts in a consistent 17 pts a game. Provides some rim protection as a 6-11 big should, but not much in space. Forget about him shooting 3’s, he's lucky to hit 50% of his FT’s on a yearly basis.

Cleveland has already shut him down expecting to move him at the trade deadline, but will they get any buyers at that salary?  I don’t think Drummond is even on Ainge’s radar , maybe not even for vet minimum on a buy out to be honest. But one never knows with Ainge.

Chance of Drummond being traded somewhere by the deadline- 10%
Chance of Drummond being bought out- 80%

Kristaps Porzingis- Dal

This one is kinda hard to believe, but there is chatter on the webiverse that Dallas is quietly shopping the unicorn. Seems like only yesterday they traded their first round picks into forever to get him. Well, who knows what Cuban is thinking. We mostly know what he is a 7-4 25YO who gets 20 and  8 a game and can block some shots and hit 3’s on somewhat consistent basis (under 36% for his career). Has also seems to be injured a lot and has issues on defense in space. Making $29M this year and two more at $31, $34 and a player option after that at $36M.. Now that’s some big money!!

Cuban would want  Tatum or Brown and a bunch of picks for him and I can’t see Ainge going for that to be honest.

Chance of Porzingis being moved somewhere by the deadline- 10% or less

Blake Griffin- Det

Another player who got shut down by his team for the trade deadline. Griffin is a 6-9 31 YO big  who’s game is about done now. I read somewhere that he has zero dunks this year. Blake Griffin with zero dunks? That about says it all. He’s become a serviceable 3 point shooter now, but I think injuries have just taken his game away completely now.

He is untradeable with a $36M salary this year and $38M next year. I can’t see why any team would take that on. Detroit will buy him out and he might land somewhere for vet minimum and hope to get a playoff run sitting on the bench at LA somewhere. Not sure why Ainge would even waste a roster spot on him.

Chance of Griffin being traded somewhere by the deadline- 1%
Chance of Griffin being bought out- 99%

feel free to add any other players I might have missed.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

my thoughts about various players for trade. Empty Re: my thoughts about various players for trade.

Post by bobheckler Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:46 pm

kdp59 wrote:Some thoughts of some the players rumored or talked about as Celtic trades options (some not) using the TPE (and other assets in most cases)by the trade deadline.

While we all know Ainge has a $28M TPE to use, he can only add a max total salary of around $19M this year before he hits the Tax Ceiling. So to use the entire $28M this year, Ainge  would have to move out $9M in salary.

In no particular order here:

Harrison Barnes- Sac

Barnes name has been bouncing around the web as a trade option for a while now. The 28YO 6-8 wing is under contract for $22m this year and $20M and $18 the next two years. He has been a solid two way player for a while now with GS, Dal and the kings and has a ring when he started with GS. Fits best as a third of fourth option on offense and certainly fits today’s 3 and D NBA.

Kings have not said they are looking to move him openly, so the cost may be more than Ainge would want to pay. There have been recent online chatter that the kings would take Nesmith and a first for Barnes. If that’s true that should be a deal Ainge looks at strongly, IMO.

Chance of Barnes being traded anywhere by the deadline- 50%

Aaron Gordon-Orl

Gordon has seemed to be around forever, but he is only 25YO. The 6-8 big man hs a $18M salary this year and a $16M salary next season.  Came into the NBA as a 19Yo high flyer/dunker and now is hitting more 3’s (36% on 4 a game this year). His career 3 pt % is around 32% however. Solid rebounder and defender from the 4, but not a real rim protector.

If Orlando is looking to move on from him at this age , they would be looking for future assets one would think. They do have need at PG for this season, due to injuries. But we don’t have anyone to send them to fill that need right now, unless a third team was added. Would an  Ainge offer Teague, Nesmith and a first get it done?

Chance of Gordon being moved somewhere by the deadline- 70%

Nikola Vucevic- Orl

Vucevic is having an all-star season at age 30 this year. The 6-11 big man is making $26M this season and $24 and $22 each of the next two. Vucevic is a 20/ 10 guy who has added a 3 point shot to his game the past 3 years. He is not much of a rim protector and is an average defender .

Doubtful that Orlando is looking to move him right now and if they are open to it I would think the price would high. Since they need a PG Smart would have to be ONE piece that Ainge would need to part with to get Vucevic, IMO. In fact I think it would cost Smart, Thompson or Theis and a first at least. I should note a Smart/ Thompson deal can probably be done alone with no TPE.

Chance of Vucevic being moved somewhere by the deadline- 10%

Thaddeus Young- Chic

Young is a 32YO 6-8 vet player who has settled into a back roll the past couples years. He makes $13.5m this year and $14M next season at age 33. He gets points and can rebound and play solid defense against NBA 4’s. he also is a career 66% FT shooter who has gotten worst each of the past few years (49% this year). His 3 point shooting was solid in the past but is down to 23% now.

I am very sure Chicago would LOVE to unload his deal right now, but I’m not sure what he has to offer a contending team at his current contract. Frankly he seems like a buyout candidate more than a trade piece to me.

Chance of Young being traded somewhere by the deadline- 10%
Chance of Young being bought out- 50%

Al Horford- Okc

We all know who Horford is here, I would note his numbers this year are similar to his numbers when he was here before. So he’s still the same player at age 35 now. He makes $27M this year and $27 next season with $14.5M guaranteed the following season after that. That’s a big chunk of salary to take on for a player his age for sure.

Okc is selling to get future assets and would like to move Horford’s contract it would seem. A deal of Horford for Thompson would work cap wise, but I’m not sure the Celtic s get much , except a larger salary there.

Chance of Horford being moved somewhere by the deadline- 50%

Bradley Beal- Wash

I’m not spend a lot of thought on Beal, as I doubt Washington is going to move him anytime soon. In fact I think they make the playoffs this year and Beal will stay put long term since Wall is long gone.

Any talk of Ainge getting Beal to play with his bud Tatum in Boston would START with Brown and move UP from there, IMO. We’d be talking about a Harden like deal, where the nest gave up Levert, Allen, Prince (that’s THREE STARTERS) AND three first rounder and three possible pick swaps.

Chance of Beal being moved somewhere by the deadline- 10% or less

Victor Oladipo- Hou

28YO Oladipo has shown he is back fully from his injury last year, which means he is a good NBA player a step below all star for sure. He is on an expiring $21M contract , which means he is a rental only and will be a UFA next season.

Houston would likely be willing to move him for a future asset; if they feel they don’t have a chance to resign him (chatter is he wants to play at Miami next). If Ainge would want to add him as a short term rental this season, he would likely have to part with a lesser young asset or protected first round pick. He would need to move out at least $2m in salary either way.

Chance of Oladipo being moved somewhere by the deadline- 40%

Rajon Rondo- Atl

Another player Celtic fans know well. 34 YO now and has played abut 15min/g in 18 games so far this year. He has a $7.5M salary this year and the same for next season. Many Celtic fans would love to have him back and others would pass.

Ainge could probably bring him back for part of that TPE and maybe sending Teague back to Atlanta, if he wants him here and Rondo would come back. I would want at least a second round pick coming back to pick the extra $12M in salary I’d be eating here. Frankly I think Teague and Rondo are a wash pretty much at this point, but I understand many Celtic fans think differently on that one.

Chance of Rondo being moved somewhere by the deadline- 75%

John Collins- Atl

Collins is a 23Yo 6-9 big man playing the final year of his rookie deal. He makes only $4.1M in salary and will be a RFA next season. He also wants a max contract extension, putting him the J. Brown Salary level. Collins was a 20/10 guy last year and his numbers are down slightly due to less minutes  to 18/7.he fits todays NBA as big with 3point shooting as he;s hit on close to 40% on 3.5 per game over the past two years. While he blocks some shots, he’s not considered a good defender . Adequate comes to mind for him on that end, to me.

IF Ainge trades for Collins, it means he sees him a key part of the future here and is willing to give him a max or near max deal. SO it would be a all in move for sure.  There have been rumors that the Hawks will move him if the price is right ( do they already know he wants to sign elsewhere?). This is NOT a TPE deal at all, in fact Ainge would have to send real assets to get him, IMO. I can’t think the hawks would take anything less than Smart in any deal that involves Collins

Chance of Collins being moved somewhere by the deadline- 40%

Andre Drummond- Clev

Drummond is one of those dinosaur bigs , he would have fit much better in the NBA 20 years ago for sure. Still only 27YO and on an expiring $28M deal (he does NOT fit into the TPE the Celtics have).one of the top rebounders in the NBA year after year and puts in a consistent 17 pts a game. Provides some rim protection as a 6-11 big should, but not much in space. Forget about him shooting 3’s, he's lucky to hit 50% of his FT’s on a yearly basis.

Cleveland has already shut him down expecting to move him at the trade deadline, but will they get any buyers at that salary?  I don’t think Drummond is even on Ainge’s radar , maybe not even for vet minimum on a buy out to be honest. But one never knows with Ainge.

Chance of Drummond being traded somewhere by the deadline- 10%
Chance of Drummond being bought out- 80%

Kristaps Porzingis- Dal

This one is kinda hard to believe, but there is chatter on the webiverse that Dallas is quietly shopping the unicorn. Seems like only yesterday they traded their first round picks into forever to get him. Well, who knows what Cuban is thinking. We mostly know what he is a 7-4 25YO who gets 20 and  8 a game and can block some shots and hit 3’s on somewhat consistent basis (under 36% for his career). Has also seems to be injured a lot and has issues on defense in space. Making $29M this year and two more at $31, $34 and a player option after that at $36M.. Now that’s some big money!!

Cuban would want  Tatum or Brown and a bunch of picks for him and I can’t see Ainge going for that to be honest.

Chance of Porzingis being moved somewhere by the deadline- 10% or less

Blake Griffin- Det

Another player who got shut down by his team for the trade deadline. Griffin is a 6-9 31 YO big  who’s game is about done now. I read somewhere that he has zero dunks this year. Blake Griffin with zero dunks? That about says it all. He’s become a serviceable 3 point shooter now, but I think injuries have just taken his game away completely now.

He is untradeable with a $36M salary this year and $38M next year. I can’t see why any team would take that on. Detroit will buy him out and he might land somewhere for vet minimum and hope to get a playoff run sitting on the bench at LA somewhere. Not sure why Ainge would even waste a roster spot on him.

Chance of Griffin being traded somewhere by the deadline- 1%
Chance of Griffin being bought out- 99%

feel free to add any other players I might have missed.

kdp,

A nice list, good to keep up-to-date as we get closer to the trade deadline (3/25).

I'd make one tweak right now. The reports are that Victor Oladipo has turned down an extension with Houston because he wants to sign with Miami. The chances of him being traded are, therefore, damn near nil since nobody would trade for him if he's gone in a few months. He's making $21M this year. The ONLY teams that might be willing to give up anything for him, at that salary, are teams that feel they can compete for a Championship this year and see Oladipo as the final finishing piece; and, perhaps, Miami. I could see Pat Riley paying a small, nominal fee to Houston to get Oladipo a few months early. They are in 5th place in the East right now, .5 games behind NYK in 4th and tied with us and Toronto. If Oly can move them up into 4th or higher then there are more home games in the playoffs for the Heat and that might make it worthwhile.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

my thoughts about various players for trade. Empty Re: my thoughts about various players for trade.

Post by jrleftfoot Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:30 pm

A lot of these proposed deals involve Nesmith. Maybe I am more confident in his future than others, but I am reluctant to give him up for a rental. If, for instance, Harrison Barnes was going to put us over the top, into championship contention , fine. I don't believe he would. If I'm right, Nesmith might give us five or 6 years of Harrison Barnes production down the line. I wouldn't give up Carsen Edwards and a bag of balls for Blake Griffin.We need a future point guard and a young , athletic big. I hope Ainge is patient and uses the trade exception wisely. This is not the year that the likes of Eddie House, James Posey and P.J. Brown will get the job done. Would that it were .
jrleftfoot
jrleftfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:43 pm

The impact on the salary CAP will make it very difficult to make a deal and bring back $20+ million in salary over multiple years. It is like a person buys a home and uses down payment assistance (TPE) but does not have the money to pay the monthly mortgage.

Next year when JT's money kicks in we will be around $102 million for KW, JT, JA and MS. If you added a player like Harrison Barnes you are looking at another $20 million bringing you up to around $122 million for 5 players.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:26 pm

thanks for the input,

Bob I did mention chatter about Oladipo wanting to sign with Miami, but didn't see your post about him turning down the Houston extension before I posted this. Guess that confirms it.

also I wasn't proposing any deals per se, just my ideas on what each player is and what they "could" cost. many of the guys on that list I personally would stay away from. but I don't have a say.

I disagree that Barnes for Nesmith and a first is a bad deal for the Celtics. maybe there are/will be a better one. but this TPE will be Ainge's last chance to get a player in the $20M range for a few years. IF he lets it expire, we have the team we have. Only MLE and vet minimum deals for a while.

which gets me to dboss' concerns. This team will be a taxpayer team either way, but they won't be able to get high level talent with it's higher salary without using that TPE.

anyone else have any players I missed?

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:35 pm

KDP59

Any player that will be in max territory or is in max territory now is off the table.  

Any center on the list is a real long shot unless Danny was going to trade one of ours and we would still be heading into CAP issues.

I would like either Gordon or Barnes to push this team up.   But again you will be adding a lot of money to the CAP.  

Nicola is a center we could have signed instead of Walker.  That train has already left the station which has since been torn down and the tracks have been sold as scrap metal.

Drummond is problematic but also interesting.  He has been a dominant rebounding force.  Not a good solid rebounder, a dominant one.  He is not getting max money again after this season so maybe you could grab him and keep him.  We would have to send out some money to make it work and use the big TPE.  I'm sure the Cavs would take Langford and .....NEVERMIND

Blake Griffin for Kemba Walker works financially.  it would be a net neutral deal with two bad contracts passing during the dead of night.  You got injury histories on both sides but you improve your positional needs by adding size and strength to the front line.   Then you take the TPE (one of them) along with one or more of our bench guys and maybe a pick and make a second deal to improve your offense.   .....Blake is a turd on offense .....NEVERMIND

The idea that Boston could get John Collins is absurd.  It would cost us a starter like Marcus Smart.  but more would have to be worked out because Collins makes short money now.   Very short money.  I would love to get him on this team.  But I am not using Marcus to make that happen.

Kristaps Porzingis = DNP INJURED AGAIN!

Rondo could help but will they take Teague back or one of our midgets?   We could use the Kanter TPE ($5 million) and send out $2.5 million which equals Rondo's $7.5 million.  All Brad would need to do is hide his clipboard under his chair, hand the ball to Rondo and tell him to go run the offense.  PP would have a chance to be mentored by a future HOF.  

Olidipo and Beal.  " dimenticalo"  we got an all star that plays the same position.

I think that covers the list.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:45 pm

kdp59 wrote:thanks for the input,

Bob I did mention chatter about Oladipo wanting to sign with Miami, but didn't see your post about him turning down the Houston extension before I posted this. Guess that confirms it.

also I wasn't proposing any deals per se, just my ideas on what each player is and what they "could" cost.  many of the guys on that list I personally would stay away from. but I don't have a say.

I disagree that Barnes for Nesmith and a first is a bad deal for the Celtics. maybe there are/will be a better one. but this TPE will be Ainge's last chance to get a player in the $20M range for a few years. IF he lets it expire, we have the team we have. Only MLE and vet minimum deals for a while.

which gets me to dboss' concerns. This team will be a taxpayer team either way, but they won't be able to get high level talent with it's higher salary without using that TPE.

anyone else have any players I missed?

\\Of course you are right. If you trust that the owners are willing to be tax payor owners...sign away... splurge. If Boston was more than willing to spend at least $20 million a Year to keep GH they should still be willing to spend that much for a comparable player like Harrison Barnes.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:46 am

This article is not player specific, but it does address an underlying perspective.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/261686/Rival-Exec-Celtics-Will-Only-Trade-If-They-Think-Theyre-Going-To-Bury-You

Rival Exec: Celtics Will Only Trade 'If They Think They're Going To Bury You'
MAR 2, 2021 10:54 AM

The Boston Celtics have not executed an in-season trade for six years when they acquired Isaiah Thomas from the Phoenix Suns. Only the San Antonio Spurs have a longer drought of not doing an in-season trade.

Boston had a run of trades sending out Rajon Rondo, Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce in which they clearly won the deal, which may have led them to only seek those level of wins in their discussions with other teams.

"They'll only do something," the West executive said, "if they think they're going to bury you."

The Celtics no longer have a deep queue of future draft picks, which limits their capacity to make a major move.

Bob
MY NOTE: ALL GMs want to win their trades. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for any that didn't.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:52 am

I don't consider this to be a "tin foil hat" proposal due to the ongoing questions surrounding RWill's health.  If he was more reliable, health-wise, this might be a nuttier idea.

https://hardwoodhoudini.com/2021/03/01/boston-celtics-realistic-trade-porzingis/

B/R concocts “realistic trade” for Cs to land Porzingis

by Mark Nilon

19 hours ago

This season, the Boston Celtics have been exponentially far from spectacular.

Despite coming into the 2020-21 campaign with high hopes and massive buzz, through the first 34 games played, the Cs have seemingly fallen flat on their face and, in turn, could be considered the biggest disappointment currently in the league.

Because of this, many expect Danny Ainge and co. to look to make some moves this trade season, and fans & media alike have tried to come up with ways in which this team can go about adding that extra firepower needed to get them back on track.

Recently, Bleacher Report came up with an idea that involves the shamrocks doing business with another surprisingly underwhelming team in the Dallas Mavericks. This hypothetical scenario sees both parties parting ways with players they’ve been rumored to be open to shopping in Kemba Walker and Kristaps Porzingis.

Bleacher Report has Kristaps Porzingis heading to Boston Celtics in latest trade
The exact deal reads as follows:

CELTICS GET
KRISTAPS PORZINGIS
TREY BURKE

MAVERICKS GET
KEMBA WALKER, ROBERT WILLIAMS III
GRANT WILLIAMS
2021 FIRST-ROUND PICK (TOP-10 PROTECTED)
2021 SECOND-ROUND PICK

Citing Boston’s need for a legitimate big man and Dallas’ need for an upgraded compliment to Luka Doncic, writer Zach Buckley believes this specific idea would be beneficial for a multitude of reasons:

Porzingis seems over his head as a second star, but the Celtics could slide him down a rung behind All-Star swingmen Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown. That could be a ferocious triumvirate for the rest of the roster to follow, and all three players contribute at both ends. Tack on Trey Burke to give the second unit a needed dose of consistent scoring, and maybe the Shamrocks have what they need to rejoin the East’s elite.

The Mavs, meanwhile, might do good to turn Porzingis—a 7’3″ center with a frightening injury history and a massive contract—into a pair of prospects and two draft picks. And, oh yeah, a four-time All-Star in Walker, who, when he’s right, offers enough scoring, table-setting and outside shooting to coexist with and complement Luka Doncic.

We here at the Houdini have also recently discussed the idea of pursuing the likes of Porzingis, and expressed our interest in the idea of swapping Walker for the talented big man.

Though we personally prefer the packages we came up with to this one, the thought process between us and B/R in regard to KP and the Boston Celtics seems to be within the same ballpark.

The Celtics must consider making moves this trade season and, according to Buckley, a move for the Mavs big man is in the realm of possibility.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:01 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2021/03/celtics-trade-deadline-choices-get-more-intriguing-thanks-to-kemba-walkers-improved-play.html

Celtics trade deadline choices get more intriguing thanks to Kemba Walker’s improved play

Updated Mar 01, 6:00 AM; Posted Mar 01, 6:00 AM

my thoughts about various players for trade. YCYH3G5C55BEBJXXCXNSCPUKGY
Boston Celtics' Kemba Walker plays against the Toronto Raptors during the second half of an NBA basketball game, Thursday, Feb. 11, 2021, in Boston. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)AP

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

It was an ugly start to the season for Kemba Walker on the heels of a stem cell injection in his knee for much of January and the first half of February but the 30-year-old has shown some positive signs even amid Boston’s uneven play in the past few weeks.

With 21 points and a season-high eight assists in Sunday’s win over the Wizards, Walker scored 20-plus points in three consecutive games for the first time all season. He’s started to turn the corner offensively in his last eight games, averaging 22.4 ppg while shooting 40.8 percent from 3-point range on over nine attempts a night. More important than the individual numbers is the fact that the Celtics are performing well when Walker is on the floor again, something that wasn’t happening in his first 10 games of the season. Boston is 5-3 in that eight-game stretch when he’s played most recently and Walker is tops on the roster with a +7.9 net rating in those contests.

During Sunday’s win, the Wizards tried to take Walker away in the pick-and-roll during crunch time so he responded by dishing out six of his eight assists in the fourth quarter. Boston’s offense caught fire down the stretch thanks to his timely distribution, with 70 percent shooting in the quarter overcoming some early turnover issues in the frame.

“Kemba’s got two guys on him because they’re blitzing him and Theis is wide open at the free throw line,” Brad Stevens said. “That’s an easy play, but it’s not the easiest pass when you’re however tall Kemba is – I don’t want to say, I usually get in trouble when I talk about how tall people are. But he delivered it every time and Theis made big baskets.”

“It’s just about reading the game, to be honest,” Walker added. “Those are just the right plays. I’m being aggressive and I’m drawing two defenders and getting rid of the basketball and just trusting my teammates. That’s really it, just making a simple play, to be honest.”

While the blame game was played and fingers were pointed in all different directions amid Boston’s disastrous three-game losing streak last week, one of the simplest issues with the team before recent weeks has always been Walker. Boston’s supporting cast has been undermanned and injured but having a max player play with the consistency of a subpar starter early this year was something this team was not going to overcome most nights, particularly as the production of Brown and Tatum began to fall off. Throw in Walker sitting out back-to-backs and it was a nightmare scenario for Boston unfolding during the first month of his return once Marcus Smart was also sidelined.

The back-to-backs absences aren’t going away but Walker is getting better now and is keeping the Celtics’ season-long aspirations afloat in the process in the past week. Walker lifted Boston to a win on Friday night with 32 points against the Pacers despite dud performances from Brown and Tatum. Against the Wizards, Tatum’s late-game heroics will get the headlines but the Celtics aren’t in a position to come back in the first place without strong fourth quarter execution from Walker. He probed the Wizards defense well in the closing minutes, finding the open man and the best shot rather than trying to do it himself. It was a refreshing change from Boston’s crunch time woes in recent weeks and the Celtics were rewarded with a win because of Walker setting the tone with ball movement and finding the open man.

These strides by Walker are pivotal in establishing possibilities for this Celtics team in the second half. A continued freefall in the standings heading into the All-Star Break would have made it very tough for the front office to justify investing in a team that wouldn’t have been good enough to make noise in the East no matter what if Walker’s drop-off in play sustained to what we saw in January. Instead, Walker has looked closer to 85-90 percent of the player we saw in the first half of last season.

The veteran needs to show more consistency than his recent eight-game stretch to prove his production can sustain but his turnaround is providing a glimmer of hope for the present. With some healthy bodies returning to the lineup after the All-Star Break and a couple of smart upgrades at the trade deadline, the Celtics could become relevant again right away if Walker keeps looking like this.

The front office still has another month to better gauge what can be expected from Kemba over the long haul before those trade deadline decisions are made. Passing on investing in upgrades in the present is likely a signal that bigger moves would be on the way this offseason to get younger and better around the Tatum and Brown core and those possibilities would surely include moving on from Walker’s deal.

More strong consistent play like we saw on Sunday night from Walker should push the Celtics away from that kind of strategy, which puts some added value on the point guard and team’s play in the weeks to come.

“It feels good,” Walker said Sunday night. “It always feels good to win, especially the way our season has been going, obviously. Our work is not done. We have to take it one game at a time, one possession at a time, keep trying to build on what we’ve been doing.”

Bob
MY NOTE:  Aside from Kemba's worth going up due to his improved game we have to remember that, thanks to the Hayward TPE, we don't need to ship out a big contract like Kemba's to get a high-quality player back.  That's why a Harrison Barnes or a Buddy Hield are feasible targets without having to gut the team to get them.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:22 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/261687/Celtics-Seeking-Combo-Forward-Who-Can-Score

Celtics Seeking Combo Forward Who Can Score

MAR 2, 2021 10:57 AM

my thoughts about various players for trade. Hayward_Gordon_cha_201229

Rival executives believe the Boston Celtics are seeking a player who can play either forward spot and also score, which is the kind of player they lost when Gordon Hayward left in free agency.

The Celtics have also had their upside tempered by the injuries to Kemba Walker as he hasn't played at an All-Star level.

"The injuries and everything else, I think, have worked against them, for sure," an Eastern Conference executive said, "and especially if Kemba is not Kemba."

"He can still provide value," a Western Conference executive said. "But is he worth $35 million? Is he worth that number? That's tough [to build around] if he isn't."

Bob
MY NOTE:  I'm using this thread for all Celtic-specific rumors.

I posted an article that pointed out that Kemba's recent improvements have helped the Celtics' trade stock. The comments by those GMs, therefore, might be obsolete in another week or two and the trade deadline is 23 days away.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:29 pm

If Walker is really back on track it may be a good time to trade him before the knee starts acting up again.

Dallas would not be a good destination because Doncic runs that show already and Porgingis is a walking injury ready to happen. We should stay away from injured players.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:34 pm

dboss,

Are you implying Doncic for Kemba?  That would work!!  I'd go straight up on that, even with Kemba's drop in value.  I'm not too sure Cuban would be on board, though!

db

P.S.  I just had a thought who Kemba's movements remind me of...early Derrick Rose.  Incredible stress on his knees with all his motion, stopping and starting, bouncing around like a ping-pong ball.  Same crippling knee injuries.  I don't know...maybe.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:49 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nba-trade-deadline-celtics-not-171349055.html

NBA trade deadline: Celtics not looking for a band-aid type of move, says Danny Ainge

Nick Goss
Tue, March 2, 2021, 11:13 AM

The Boston Celtics are one of the teams to keep a close eye on as the March 25 NBA trade deadline approaches.

The C's own a 17-17 record with the All-Star break coming up at the end of the week. Just a few days ago, the C's were under .500 after 32 games for the first time since the 2015-16 season.

The Celtics need to make some sort of move before the trade deadline, and one area that must be improved is bench scoring. The Celtics rank 27th in points from reserve players at 31.8 per game.

Boston holds its own when the starters on the court. The C's rank 12th at 79.1 points per game scored among starting players, led by the team's two All-Stars Jayson Tatum (25.2 points per game) and Jaylen Brown (25 points per game).

Surrounding these two stars with the right amount of depth has been a challenge for the C's in 2021.

Team president of basketball operations Danny Ainge would like to make a move to improve the roster for the second half of the season and the playoffs, but it doesn't sound like he's interested in making a deal just to do one.

"If there's players we can get that can put us over the top and keep us under the hard cap, we'll do a deal that falls into that category," Ainge told ESPN's Tim Bontemps. "But we're not going to do it for a band-aid, or somebody that maybe, maybe, will help us a game or two."

What kind of assets does Ainge have to trade?

The Celtics have a $28.5 trade exception created from the Gordon Hayward sign-and-trade with the Charlotte Hornets last offseason. They also own all their current and future draft picks, in addition to a roster full of players drafted in the first round over the last couple years -- such as Robert Williams, Grant Williams, Romeo Langford and Aaron Nesmith.

The C's don't have to use their trade exception during the season. It can be used in the offseason, too, and it might be worth waiting if there are better players available in the summer than there are now.

But that doesn't change the fact that the Celtics need to add someone before the trade deadline. This team does not have the required amount of shooting, scoring and depth to win a championship.

The Eastern Conference is mostly wide open -- only the Brooklyn Nets look like a truly elite team. A meaningful upgrade could push the Celtics back into the top tier of the East and help the team make another deep run in the playoffs.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:10 pm

I think I'd do that Porzingis deal.
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:40 pm

A trade sending Kemba to Dallas for Porzingis seems to make little sense for Dallas.
Dallas really needs an upgrade at SG and SF.
Acquiring a PG with Doncic there for a long time does not seem to be a realistic made up trade proposal.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:30 pm

Drummond is a UFA after this season, if management is sure RWill has limitations that allow him only to be a 15 minute per game player, having a dominant rebounder/force like that with 2 J’s could work. Teams also know of his limitations so there may not be another max contract out there for him. If we can get him on the reasonable cheap I like that move.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:48 pm

This article is being bantered about right now on NBC/Boston pregame

And most of it was thrown in the toilet
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Vankisa Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:26 pm

Still believe Ainge will stay pat. Now thinking not just because he does not want to deal, but also because he does not have the resources to do so allowed him by upper management.

I would love ANY new addition to serve as a catalyst for change, but I am not hoping for one as Danny has put himself (or collectively with the owners) in a position where he had less and less depth of the team in combination with less and less ASSETs for fixing that for several years in a row now. Result: There does not even seem to be a viable opportunity to get someone anymore and if there is there is no resources with which to do so.

Vankisa

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:46 pm

bobheckler wrote:This article is not player specific, but it does address an underlying perspective.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/261686/Rival-Exec-Celtics-Will-Only-Trade-If-They-Think-Theyre-Going-To-Bury-You

Rival Exec: Celtics Will Only Trade 'If They Think They're Going To Bury You'
MAR 2, 2021 10:54 AM

The Boston Celtics have not executed an in-season trade for six years when they acquired Isaiah Thomas from the Phoenix Suns. Only the San Antonio Spurs have a longer drought of not doing an in-season trade.

Boston had a run of trades sending out Rajon Rondo, Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce in which they clearly won the deal, which may have led them to only seek those level of wins in their discussions with other teams.

"They'll only do something," the West executive said, "if they think they're going to bury you."

The Celtics no longer have a deep queue of future draft picks, which limits their capacity to make a major move.

Bob
MY NOTE:  ALL GMs want to win their trades.  I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for any that didn't.

It kills me to hear people say that Boston will take advantage of you or Ainge will screw you. You cant be screwed if you’re just as shrewd. What a bunch of bull.

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by Ktron Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:54 pm

The Front Office needs to do something to improve the team. Period. The “This team has a great future with the 2 J’s and they’re young” and all that talk is just that. Talk. The team may have a great future but its not like other teams are not going to get better. (See: BKNY Nets-remember that trade and how many titles we’ve won since then).
The front office needs to do their job and get creative. Show their committed to #18 and beyond. I’m not a capologist and cant do anything beyond fractions. Not what I do. They have people that get paid to do this and to make the team better. Do it. Forget 2025

Ktron

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:19 am

dbrown4 wrote:dboss,

Are you implying Doncic for Kemba?  That would work!!  I'd go straight up on that, even with Kemba's drop in value.  I'm not too sure Cuban would be on board, though!

db

No, db I was referring to Walker for Porzingis

P.S.  I just had a thought who Kemba's movements remind me of...early Derrick Rose.  Incredible stress on his knees with all his motion, stopping and starting, bouncing around like a ping-pong ball.  Same crippling knee injuries.  I don't know...maybe.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:25 pm

Blake got bought out today

Bobby Marks: Blake Griffin will clear waivers at 5PM on Saturday. At the time of the buyout, Griffin was owed $56.5M. Detroit will have a substantial cap hit in 2021/22 and will need to weight the options of stretching that amount over 3 seasons or taking the hit in 1 season. – via Twitter BobbyMarks42
Top Rumors, Buyout, Salaries, Blake Griffin, Detroit Pistons

Nets the leaders for Blake Griffin?

Shams Charania: The Brooklyn Nets are believed to be leaders to sign six-time All-Star Blake Griffin, sources tell me and @JLEdwardsIII . Rival teams with interest are expecting Griffin to choose Nets as a title favorite for chance to win a championship. – via Twitter
kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by kdp59 Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:32 pm

take this one for what its worth............I THINK they are saying Toronto wants Drummond...OR they are saying Toronto would take Thompson?

3 hours ago – via Henry Abbott @ TrueHoop
Boston could absorb Drummond in their $27.9 million trade exception but would first have to ship out another mid-sized contract, like Tristan Thompson, to stay below the hard cap. One prominent agent said he expects another Atlantic division team, the Raptors, to get him, pointing out that shooting guard Norman Powell is getting center minutes. “I think Toronto is the only place that makes any sense. They need whatever they can get.”

kdp59
kdp59

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:17 pm

I doubt Danny makes a move for a center.

Rumor has it that Boston wants Harrison Barnes and i do too!

https://hoopshype.com/storyline/harrison-barnes-to-celtics/

The Kings will want a wing in return plus. So we have Romeo and Aaron. The Kings are likely to prefer Nesmith. I think Nesmith and one of Waters, Edwards, Grant Williams, Semi or Javonte Green could be moved and then you would need to also include a first round pick and maybe 1 or 2 2nd round picks.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next