Jayson Tatum showing more maturity, confidence: ‘he wants to be great'

3 posters

Go down

Jayson Tatum showing more maturity, confidence: ‘he wants to be great' Empty Jayson Tatum showing more maturity, confidence: ‘he wants to be great'

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:28 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/10/boston-celtics-jayson-tatum-showing-more-maturity-confidence-he-wants-to-be-great.html

Boston Celtics Jayson Tatum showing more maturity, confidence: ‘he wants to be great'

Today 2:09 PM

Jayson Tatum showing more maturity, confidence: ‘he wants to be great' CKG2DTEIJZCPTK7S4QGC6IYHMA
Boston Celtics' Jayson Tatum (0) plays against the Charlotte Hornets during the first half of a preseason NBA basketball game in Boston, Sunday, Oct. 6, 2019. (AP Photo/Michael Dwyer)

By John Karalis | JKaralis@masslive.com

BRIGHTON -- Jayson Tatum is a little different this year.

You can make jokes about his facial hair finally connecting or notice that there’s a bit more muscle that more noticeably broadens his shoulders, but that’s not it.

“I don’t want to say that it’s too different, but I see a different way,” said Brad Stevens when asked if he noticed it too.

“I’ve seen great strides in him,” said Danny Ainge, agreeing with the premise.

“Yeah, I would hope so,” Tatum told MassLive when asked about it. “It's my third year. I feel like everybody gets more confident and better and more relaxed and mature year after year. I mean, I don’t want to go backwards.”

There are people who thought he went backwards last year. Whether you agree or not, it was part of his overall learning experience.

“I think all of it is part of it,” Ainge told MassLive. “All of his experience, his successful rookie season, a good second season, USA Basketball, his summer work, just all the ups and downs that came with all three of those things are all part of his development.”

Tatum was one of the more important players on this version of Team USA. His ankle injury was seen as one of the big reasons for the American flameout at the FIBA World Cup. His rise on that team helped fuel his confident step forward.

“Playing with USA Basketball this summer has a lot to do with it,” he said. “Just getting that early work in this summer, it being super-competitive. We went after it every day in practice, some of the best young players in the league. That was big.”

Brad Stevens sees it too.

“I thought the U.S. stuff would benefit all those guys,” he said. “But you can really see it with him.”

It’s one thing to walk tall and hold your head high. Taking that confidence to the court is something entirely different, but it appears to be translating for Tatum.

“(He has a) different assertiveness in the right things,” Stevens said. “I think he’s practiced really hard. He’s really made a conscious effort to take the right shots and not be any less aggressive. Like he’s still very aggressive. And then he’s defended… he’s really been active. He’s made nice strides.”

Tatum showed those strides on the court against Charlotte, leading the Celtics with an efficient 20 point outing. He attacked the basket at times where he used to settle for jumpers. He took 3-pointers a times where he might step into long 2’s. He even had three steals and a blocked shot.

So the early returns on the court are good so far, but it’s obviously still early. Everything has lined up nicely for Tatum in this confidence-building summer. A week of training camp and one good preseason game make it easy to walk around with your chin up and shoulders back. At some point, though, those wider shoulders will slump and slouch forward. Eventually, just like everyone, Tatum will have his confidence tested.

That’s where Tatum’s maturity will really prove itself. According to Ainge, Tatum is ready for that challenge.

“I think that Jayson has become more humble, more respectful of just how hard it is to be great,” Ainge said. “He wants to be great. He’s continuing to work really hard but I just sense a better humility and approach to the game.”

bob
MY NOTE:  20 points in 23 minutes vs Charlotte's starters.  A nice start for Jayson...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum showing more maturity, confidence: ‘he wants to be great' Empty Re: Jayson Tatum showing more maturity, confidence: ‘he wants to be great'

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:22 am

Humility is great. I would love to see more aggression. I think he needs a killer instinct.

Get the ball, drive it down the opponents throat and force the ref to make a call. Rinse and Repeat.
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Jayson Tatum showing more maturity, confidence: ‘he wants to be great' Empty Re: Jayson Tatum showing more maturity, confidence: ‘he wants to be great'

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:24 am

mrkleen09 wrote:Humility is great.  I would love to see more aggression.  I think he needs a killer instinct.  

Get the ball, drive it down the opponents throat and force the ref to make a call. Rinse and Repeat.

+1. The path to the All-Star game goes through the free throw line.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:34 am

If he gets his FT attempts up to 6-7, he’s a bonafide all star, scoring 20+ a game....Jaylen needs to do the same and get his % up to 75.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down