Tacko Fall ‘Didn’t Expect’ Celtics To Convert Contract To Two-Way Deal

Go down

Tacko Fall ‘Didn’t Expect’ Celtics To Convert Contract To Two-Way Deal  Empty Tacko Fall ‘Didn’t Expect’ Celtics To Convert Contract To Two-Way Deal

Post by bobheckler Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:18 pm

https://nesn.com/2019/10/tacko-fall-didnt-expect-celtics-to-convert-contract-to-two-way-deal/

Tacko Fall ‘Didn’t Expect’ Celtics To Convert Contract To Two-Way Deal

by Abigail Adams

on Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 10:28PM

While some fans certainly hoped Tacko Fall would remain in a Celtics uniform, few insiders expected him to actually make the cut.

Yes, the 7-foot-5 big man has defied the odds. And he’s likely just as surprised as you are.

“I didn’t expect it,” Fall told NBC Sports Boston’s Abby Chin on Sunday. “It just came out of the blue, out of nowhere.”

The Celtics announced their decision to convert Fall’s Exhibit 10 contract to a two-way deal prior to Sunday’s preseason contest against the Cleveland Cavaliers. Fall said someone had called him earlier in the day to break the good news, and confirmed it with Celtics assistant general manager Michael Zarran shortly after.

And make no mistake, Fall doesn’t plan on letting this golden opportunity go to waste.

“It means a lot, it’s another step towards my goal. I’ve fought really hard to get to this point and I’ve really taken advantage of every opportunity that was given to me. And I just see it as another opportunity to improving, keep proving myself and hopefully one day soon own a spot on this team.”

Celtics on NBC Sports Boston ✔
@NBCSCeltics
After the game @tvabby caught up with @tackofall99 to talk about his two-way deal with the @celtics 165 3:11 PM - Oct 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/NBCSCeltics/status/1183505566246813697

Fall will now spend much of his time up in Portland, Maine, where he will play for the Maine Red Claws, the Celtics’ G-League affiliate. Per his new contract, Fall can spend up to 45 days with the Celtics during the 2019-20 season.

bob
MY NOTE:  In my opinion this is the best of all worlds.  Tacko is NOT ready for the NBA, not even close, but you cannot teach 7'5", he's a great locker room guy and he works hard.  His limited BBIQ is on display every time he steps on the court, he never picked up a basketball until he was 16 years old, and that needs to be developed.  It wasn't going to happen if he was given the 15th spot.  The schedule, the travel time, the necessity of the coaching staff to prep for the next game (long road trips and b2bs make that even harder and more time consuming for the coaches) and not babysit players who have SO much to work on just didn't make it a place for Tacko.  The Red Claws play fewer games, there's less travel, more time with coaches who know their primary purpose is to develop players.  They want to win games too but the G(atorade)- League exists to develop players so they can play in the NBA, and the coaching staffs know it and they know who is being sent to them by Danny.  The Red Claws are 100% owned by the Celtics and run Brad's playbook.  

The Red Claws should sell out every game this year.  Aside from Tackomania, Tremont Waters will be there, and so will Romeo Langford too as he recovers, catches up after missing summer league and most of camp, and fights for minutes on a team that is deep at wing.  Robert Williams might get minutes up there too.  I know that makes some people's heads explode but he needs minutes, he needs work too, and there is Theis, Kanter ahead of him with Poirier hot on his heels.  Either Max Strus or Javonte Green should be spending a lot of time there too.  Not just an exciting team but a talented one too.

As Martha Stewart says "this is a good thing, a very good thing..."

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down