Can Kemba Walker Truly Replace Kyrie Irving?

+6
bobc33
wideclyde
Shamrock1000
dboss
NYCelt
bobheckler
10 posters

Go down

Can Kemba Walker Truly Replace Kyrie Irving? Empty Can Kemba Walker Truly Replace Kyrie Irving?

Post by bobheckler Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:10 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hunterfelt/2019/10/15/boston-celtics-nba-preview-kemba-walker/#78dc13c25c64

Hunter Felt
Hunter FeltContributor
SportsMoney

Can Kemba Walker Truly Replace Kyrie Irving? 960x0
Kemba Walker was all smiles in his preseason debut with the Boston Celtics, but the true test will come during the regular season.GETTY IMAGES

To put it mildly, things didn’t go as planned for the Boston Celtics last season. They looked like the favorites in the Eastern Conference when LeBron James left to join the Los Angeles Lakers. Instead, Boston displayed a stunning lack of chemistry during the regular season, and their playoff run ended with four straight losses to the Milwaukee Bucks.

While the subsequent departures of Kyrie Irving and Al Horford would have forced most franchises to rebuild, the Celtics were able to lure point guard Kemba Walker away from the Charlotte Hornets. The move ensures that the team will be relevant in the 2019-20 season, but the question remains about just how good they will be.

Which teams look like contenders, and which look like pretenders? Check out Forbes’ full NBA season preview, with best-case scenarios and worst-case scenarios for all 30 teams.

What’s New

Quite a bit! Despite publicly committing to Boston before the start of the 2018-19 season, point guard Kyrie Irving finalized an agreement with the Brooklyn Nets almost immediately after the Celtics’ elimination. The Philadelphia 76ers then offered big man Al Horford both more money and a better chance at competing with a championship than the suddenly Irving-less Celtics. Boston was able to respond quickly by agreeing to a sign-and-trade with the Charlotte Hornets that landed them Kemba Walker in exchange for Terry Rozier, but they had to ship off Aron Baynes to the Phoenix Suns to free up the cap space necessary to finalize the deal.

While the Celtics lucked out by being able to plug the talented Walker into the point guard slot, the losses of Horford and (to a lesser extent) Baynes left them at a huge hole at center. Boston went out and signed Enes Kanter with the midlevel exception, but it’s not certain if he will be starting. They also took a flyer on France’s Vincent Poirier and undrafted free agent/human meme Tacko Fall, who was just given a two-way contract. They also drafted forward Grant Williams along with guards Romeo Langford, Carsen Edwards and Tremont Waters but, at this point, it’s hard to know exactly how head coach Brad Stevens plans to juggle all the new guys.

Best Addition: If Kemba Walker hadn’t been there as the world’s greatest fallback option, this would have been one of the most disastrous offseasons in recent Celtics history. Walker is a legitimate All-Star point guard and there’s every reason to believe that the well-liked guard will be the perfect figure to turn around what was an often dysfunctional locker room last season.

Biggest Loss: Irving’s exit got the most press, but the Celtics will miss Al Horford the most. There is no replacing everything that Horford did for the team during his three years playing in Boston, at least not with a single player.

What’s Coming

The problem when a team loses its two most important players is that it’s fiendishly difficult to predict how they will respond. There’s a possibility that the Celtics might have desperately needed a clean break after their failure to come together as a team last season. There’s an argument to be made that Kemba Walker could end up playing better with Boston’s promising younger players than Kyrie Irving ever did. If nothing else, the 2019-20 Celtics should be an easier team to cheer for than the previous edition.

As much as they may want to move on from Irving, fans need to realize that Walker is not going to bring the same level of production. Plus, there’s a huge question to how the Celtics will move on from Al Horford, whose selfless play on both sides of the floor. President of basketball operations Danny Ainge has been very key to temper expectations. “I think that last year’s questions were more based on, you know, how is it going to jell,” Ainge said at the start of the preseason. “This year,” he continued, “the question is, are we good enough?”

Team MVP: Besides Gordon Hayward, and more on him later, Kemba Walker is the only member of this squad with All-Star credentials. While he may not be quite as good as he’s looked whenever his Charlotte Hornets teams tormented the Celtics in the past, Walker’s still going to be the primary scorer on the team and their de facto leader.

Best Value: Jayson Tatum will be making $7.8 million in the third year of his rookie contract. There’s a very good chance that he will be the team’s second-best player after Walker, who will be making $32.7 million. If Tatum can replicate his numbers in the 2018 playoffs, where he averaged 18.5 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.7 assists, the Celtics will be in pretty good shape.

X-Factor: It’s depressing that the one-time star with the Utah Jazz has devolved into a huge “what if,” but that’s where we’re at with Gordon Hayward. If Hayward has fully recovered from his 2017 ankle injury—both physically and mentally—it will be like found money for the Celtics.

Best-Case Scenario

Kemba Walker repeats his All-Star performance from last season, Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown both make the leap, and Gordon Hayward is not only healthy but confident on the court. Head coach Brad Stevens manages to shuffle the pieces around and gets just enough from the center position. It’s nothing but good vibes in Boston as the Celtics make it to the Eastern Conference Finals and manage to push a Game 7.

Worst-Case Scenario

The Boston Celtics’ offense is perfectly fine, but the defense is a complete mess, and as Ainge worried during the preseason, the team isn’t good enough for questions about team chemistry to matter. The Celtics miss the playoffs, and for the first time, there are legitimate rumors about Brad Stevens’s future with the franchise.

bob
MY NOTE:  What a bunch of complete nonsense, in my opinion.  Can Kemba replace Kyrie?  I sure as hell hope not!  We don't need, nor want, Kemba's usage rate to be as high as Kyrie's.  We want Tatum's usage rate to go up and we very much want Jaylen Brown's usage rate to go up.  Is the loss of Horford painful?  Yes, but we don't have to do a 1-for-1 replacement for him like this idiot is suggesting we need to do with Kyrie.  We need Kemba to take over games, sometimes, when we need buckets and our offense is stagnant.  We do NOT want our guys just standing around and watching him like they did last year with Kyrie.  Unlike Kyrie, Kemba seems to be just fine with less touches.  And he mentions Tacko getting a 2-way but doesn't mention RWill, who IS a member of the Celtics?  No mention of Theis either.  Well, gee, no wonder our center position looks so thin, he just forgot about two of them!

And don't be surprised if Jayson Tatum is our #1 scorer this year.  He's going to get more touches, maybe a lot more touches, he's also probably going to get to the line more often.  Add to that Kemba not playing the 34.9mpg he played last year and you have an increase in Tatum's production and a decrease in Kemba's production and fgas.

This author is a shallow, superficial fantasy league-playing simp.  Give me a few more minutes to let this marinate and I'll really tell you what I think of him, I'm trying to be nice to him now.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Can Kemba Walker Truly Replace Kyrie Irving? Empty Re: Can Kemba Walker Truly Replace Kyrie Irving?

Post by NYCelt Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:30 pm

Can Walker replace Irving? Of course not.

Could Walker be a better fit? Yes.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Can Kemba Walker Truly Replace Kyrie Irving? Empty Re: Can Kemba Walker Truly Replace Kyrie Irving?

Post by dboss Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:51 pm

Walker is a different type of dude than Irving.  

Already it looks like he is more than willing to get his teammates more involved.  Guys are not standing around waiting for the next, Oh Wow, did you see that shot.

Expectations are subjective.  Coach Stevens has a lot of new options to work with.  How he is able to figure out the parings and the lineups will ultimately determine how successful this team is.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:04 pm

bobheckler wrote:https://www.forbes.com/sites/hunterfelt/2019/10/15/boston-celtics-nba-preview-kemba-walker/#78dc13c25c64

MY NOTE:  What a bunch of complete nonsense, in my opinion.  Can Kemba replace Kyrie?  I sure as hell hope not!  We don't need, nor want, Kemba's usage rate to be as high as Kyrie's.  We want Tatum's usage rate to go up and we very much want Jaylen Brown's usage rate to go up.  Is the loss of Horford painful?  Yes, but we don't have to do a 1-for-1 replacement for him like this idiot is suggesting we need to do with Kyrie.  We need Kemba to take over games, sometimes, when we need buckets and our offense is stagnant.  We do NOT want our guys just standing around and watching him like they did last year with Kyrie.  Unlike Kyrie, Kemba seems to be just fine with less touches.  And he mentions Tacko getting a 2-way but doesn't mention RWill, who IS a member of the Celtics?  No mention of Theis either.  Well, gee, no wonder our center position looks so thin, he just forgot about two of them!

And don't be surprised if Jayson Tatum is our #1 scorer this year.  He's going to get more touches, maybe a lot more touches, he's also probably going to get to the line more often.  Add to that Kemba not playing the 34.9mpg he played last year and you have an increase in Tatum's production and a decrease in Kemba's production and fgas.

This author is a shallow, superficial fantasy league-playing simp.  Give me a few more minutes to let this marinate and I'll really tell you what I think of him, I'm trying to be nice to him now.

Well said. Also, this narrative that Kyrie is clearly the better player is over-hyped. A careful comparison of their stats indicate that the two are very similar. Kyrie's shooting percentages are a little better, but he mostly played on pretty good teams. Kemba was the Hornets, and was forced to take some tough shots to keep them in games. Put Kyrie on the Knicks these past several years, and I would put money on his shooting percentages dropping a little. Kyrie's game is easy on the eyes given his insane handle and overall smoothness, but he has never impacted games the way his reputation implies. Lazy writers repeating stuff already said by other lazy writers.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Just came across this point guard ranking, and thought it might make sense on this thread:

https://newarena.com/nba/ranking-all-30-starting-point-guards-ahead-of-2019-20-nba-season/30/?amxt=tbdt_signal_819

If you don't feel like clicking through, Kemba is #5, Kyrie is #4, Westbrook #3, Lillard #2, and Curry #1. Couple of other interesting rankings are Trae Young at #8 and D'Aaron Fox at #6. After the All-Star break, Young averaged 24.7 PPG, 9.2 APG, and 4.7 RPG. Wow.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:35 pm

I am now 68 years old, could never play guard even when i was a whole, whole lot younger, but I could still be a better fit for the Celtics than Kyrie Irving would be for this season.

Of course, Kemba Walker will be able to replace Irving

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by bobc33 Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:28 pm

wideclyde wrote:I am now 68 years old, could never play guard even when i was a whole, whole lot younger, but I could still be a better fit for the Celtics than Kyrie Irving would be for this season.

Well put wideclyde!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by tardust Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:25 pm

I am not sure, who is going to tell all our young players what it takes to succeed in the playoffs without Kyrie? Oh wait Kyrie has never done anything without Lebron. I will take my chances with Kemba. I dont think he can bring our team down as much as Kyrie did even if he tried. Kemba has had enough losing, I think he will do what is needed to win. I would love for him to average 7-10 assists a night along with embracing a defensive role.
tardust
tardust

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:53 am

wideclyde wrote:I am now 68 years old, could never play guard even when i was a whole, whole lot younger, but I could still be a better fit for the Celtics than Kyrie Irving would be for this season.

Love this Clyde Very Happy
mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:22 am

Bob, it irks me when a professional sports writer mangles the English language and does not know crap about his subject matter. Here's a linguistic mistake he should not have made:
"[bDanny Ainge has been very key to temper expectations."[/b]

He means keen.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:30 am

Ah, worcester. The long, lost art of proofing and editing your work! It really is pathetic. Sam was a true master of this.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:38 am

Sure miss Sam!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down