Jeff Van Gundy thinks people are 'sleeping on' Celtics entering new season

+2
dbrown4
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Jeff Van Gundy thinks people are 'sleeping on' Celtics entering new season Empty Jeff Van Gundy thinks people are 'sleeping on' Celtics entering new season

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:55 am

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jeff-van-gundy-thinks-people-235122108.html

Jeff Van Gundy thinks people are 'sleeping on' Celtics entering new season

Nick Goss, NBC Sports Boston

12 hours ago

The Boston Celtics failed to meet expectations during the 2018-19 campaign and underwent several impactful roster changes as a result, but are experts and fans not giving the 17-time champions enough of a shot to compete in the Eastern Conference this season?

The C's replaced Kyrie Irving with another All-NBA guard in Kemba Walker, who signed a four-year max contract with Boston in free agency. Boston also signed veteran center Enes Kanter and bolstered its depth with what looks like a talented rookie class. These players join an already talented core that includes Jayson Tatum, Marcus Smart and Jaylen Brown.

Former NBA head coach and current ESPN NBA analyst Jeff Van Gundy was a guest of the "Stephen A. Smith Show" on Monday, and he explained why we shouldn't be forgetting about the Celtics with the 2019-20 season set to tip off Tuesday night.

"I think (the Celtics) have the power of togetherness more this year," Van Gundy said. "I think that unity and chemistry will carry over to how they play, how they stick together during periods of adversity. I think people are sleeping on Boston."

Van Gundy is very high on Walker, who he was around over the summer with Team USA.

"I was able to see Kemba Walker up close this summer with the World Cup team, and I'm going to tell you -- obviously everybody knows about his talent, his handles, his scoring ability -- but this is one of the highest quality athletes that we have in any sport," Van Gundy said. "He is going to be a tremendous, quiet leader for this Boston Celtics team. He leads by example doing the right thing everyday."

We'll get an early look at the strength of this new-look C's team right off the bat with Boston taking on the rival Philadelphia 76ers in both teams' season opener Wednesday night.

Walker torched the Sixers last season by averaging 37 points per game over four matchups. The Celtics will need a similarly impressive performance from Walker on Opening Night to continue Boston's dominance over the 76ers in what has become a very one-sided rivalry over the last two seasons.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jeff Van Gundy thinks people are 'sleeping on' Celtics entering new season Empty Re: Jeff Van Gundy thinks people are 'sleeping on' Celtics entering new season

Post by dbrown4 Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:10 am

He gets it. Kemba really needs to lead Celtics to victory tonight to make a very early statement.

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Jeff Van Gundy thinks people are 'sleeping on' Celtics entering new season Empty Re: Jeff Van Gundy thinks people are 'sleeping on' Celtics entering new season

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:12 am

Kemba, Carson, Smart, 2 J’s be raining 3’s on Sixers tonight....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:35 am

Like I said in another thread, PHI, keep your balloons up in the rafters...

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:54 am

37 points a game vs Sixers is pretty lethal....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:17 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:37 points a game vs Sixers is pretty lethal....

I had to read that twice. That's crazy.

I wonder how many of those four games were wins for the Hornets?

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:24 pm

Let them keep sleeping, I like being the underdog
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:54 pm

gyso wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:37 points a game vs Sixers is pretty lethal....

I had to read that twice.  That's crazy.  

I wonder how many of those four games were wins for the Hornets?

GYSO,

Last season the Charlotte Hornets were 0-4 vs Philly.

I feel the 37ppg stat thrown out by Cowens is inapplicable.  Kemba WAS the Charlotte Hornets.  He was like Ray Allen was in Milwaukee and Seattle and like LeBron was in Cleveland the first time.  If they didn't score a ton their team had no chance of winning.  This Celtics team is far more potent and dangerous than the Hornets ever were.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:12 pm

I like the sleep on.

The kid on the block gets ignored.

It is much better and will be more rewarding if Boston can be a top team in the East, given the lack of respect.

This game is never played on paper.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down