Celtics hire Jeff Van Gundy as senior consultant

+4
worcester
NYCelt
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
8 posters

Go down

Celtics hire Jeff Van Gundy as senior consultant Empty Celtics hire Jeff Van Gundy as senior consultant

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:14 pm

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/10/celtics-hire-jeff-van-gundy-as-senior-consultant.html

Celtics hire Jeff Van Gundy as senior consultant

Updated: Oct. 14, 2023, 11:35 a.m.|Published: Oct. 14, 2023, 11:23 a.m.

By Brian Robb | brobb@masslive.com

The Celtics have added another prominent name to Joe Mazzulla’s coaching staff. A team source confirmed to MassLive that veteran NBA head coach Jeff Van Gundy has been hired as a senior consultant for the upcoming season. Van Gundy will be working under basketball operations and splitting his time between Boston and Maine, Boston’s G-League affiliate, according to a source.

Van Gundy is the latest addition to Boston’s staff which included a number of notable assistant hires this offseason such as Sam Cassell and Charles Lee. Van Gundy has spent the past 16 years primarily as a broadcaster with ESPN where he announced 16 NBA Finals. However, he was laid off by ESPN as part of a layoff round this past summer to cut costs.

Before broadcasting in recent years, Van Gundy was a standout NBA head coach, where he compiled a 430-318 record during his 11 seasons as coach, including stints with the Knicks and Rockets. Van Gundy also helped the Knicks reach the NBA Finals during the 1999 lockout season before falling to the Spurs.

The 61-year-old has been active with international coaching in recent years, serving as a head coach  during the 2017 FIBA AmeriCup Tournament and as an assistant coach for US Men’s Basketball during the 2019 FIBA World Cup and 2020 Summer Olympics. Van Gundy worked with Brown and Tatum directly on the 2019 FIBA World Cup team.

Bob
MY NOTE:  "Senior Consultant"?  WTF does that mean?  He's not a front office guy, he's a coaching ranks guy.  Is that just a sop for his ego, because he doesn't want to be an "assistant coach" after being a head coach?  Maybe he's thinking about getting back into head coaching and he wants GMs to think he's still on top of his career.  Give Wyc, Pags and Brad some credit.  They saw our weak links last season was we didn't have enough quality at the center position and we were outcoached, and they fixed both of those weaknesses with the addition of Porzingis and Charles Lee and Sam Cassell.  And let's give Joe some credit too.  He's taking it properly, he's not seeing it as a putdown of his coaching, but rather as reinforcements and a learning opportunity for him.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics hire Jeff Van Gundy as senior consultant Empty Re: Celtics hire Jeff Van Gundy as senior consultant

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:27 pm

O I think he knows the game way better than are giving him credit for and can do basketball relating things to help Brad out. He can easily be a valuable front office guy and an old school guy to run things thru and get his input on things could not hurt you lousy speller you!!!!!🫵🤩😎

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Celtics hire Jeff Van Gundy as senior consultant Empty Re: Celtics hire Jeff Van Gundy as senior consultant

Post by NYCelt Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:47 pm

OUTSTANDING MOVE!!

This is a coach with a deep understanding of the game. To have him spend time adding his thoughts to the Celtics as well as their farm club is a huge boost. This gives the franchise an expert layer between Brad and Joe that both can rely on for roster combinations, game analysis and player development. It goes without saying that if either Brad or Joe were to flame out for any reason, Van Gundy slides seamlessly and effectively into their spot.

Another great sign that ownership is serious about pursuing that 18th banner right now, this season.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:54 pm

Any chance he could become Mike's replacement?
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:59 pm

worcester wrote:Any chance he could become Mike's replacement?

Zero, I believe. That spot belongs to Drew Carter. Probably for as long as he wants it.

I think Van Gundy still makes his home in Houston. Probably not the best geographic location for a guy calling 82 + Celtic games.

Van Gundy is most assuredly here to push the coaching and front office operations into elite, championship oriented territory.

Last edited by NYCelt on Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:03 pm

NYCelt wrote:OUTSTANDING MOVE!!

This is a coach with a deep understanding of the game. To have him spend time adding his thoughts to the Celtics as well as their farm club is a huge boost. This gives the franchise an expert layer between Brad and Joe that both can rely on for roster combinations, game analysis and player development. It goes without saying that if either Brad or Joe were to flame out for any reason, Van Gundy slides seamlessly and effectively into their spot.

Another great sign that ownership is serious about pursuing that 18th banner right now, this season.

+1

Exactly

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:10 pm

A better use if his talent then.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:36 pm

John Karalis @John_Karalis
about 21 minutes ago
Yes, Jeff Van Gundy is a senior consultant. He's not on the bench, but he'll be in coaching meetings when he's here. His role is as an advisor to the entire basketball operations department, including the Maine Celtics.

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:20 pm

He will provide some continuity in their approach to basketball between the big club in Boston and the GLeague team in Portland.

His first piece of advice to the owners: Change the name of the Maine team back to "The Red Claws".

(Nod to NYCelt:  cheers , I agree)

Good hire.

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:35 pm

Van Gundy is one of those guys you would love to have in your living room with you to watch and analyze an NBA game.  But since there are way more of us and only one him, broadcasting is the easiest way for us to enjoy the game.  Just like a Hubie Brown, his knowledge is vast and deep, always appropriate and spot on.  He's why remotes with rewind were created.  He'll say something really profound and since my DA was only watching the ball, I completely missed it, hit rewind back 10-20 seconds, press play and incorporate into the flow of the game what he said "before" he says it.

This is a huge asset and pick up.  Welcome aboard the Multiple Championships Train, Jeff!!  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:35 pm

Bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:15 pm

NYCelt. You are the first guy I thought of when I saw the story on line that Van Gundy had been hired. I know how highly you think of him. Considering his job description, he will be a huge help to the organization. They are building that Maine organization in the same classy way the Celtics are run. Van Gundy will be a big help to Brad I am sure. On top of that, I read today that there is a possibility that Boston will have a WNBA team in a couple of years when they expand. These owners are not fooling around
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:39 pm

Our classy organization gets even classier.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:06 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:NYCelt. You are the first guy I thought of when I saw the story on line that Van Gundy had been hired.  I know how highly you think of him.  Considering his job description, he will be a huge help to the organization. They are building that Maine organization in the same classy way the Celtics are run. Van Gundy will be a big help to Brad I am sure.  On top of that, I read today that there is a possibility that Boston will have a WNBA team in a couple of years when they expand. These owners are not fooling around

That is true Rosalie. I’ve always disclosed my bias, as well, that he was a classmate of my wife at Nazareth University and his family’s ties to our big high school tourney, where I am a long time sponsor. His dad, Bill, is a retired legendary college coach with an enormous load of national awards. With two sons as NBA coaches, the lineage and basketball knowledge is strong throughout the family.

Trying to be objective, and setting my personal ‘fandom’ aside, I think this is a significant move by Celtic ownership toward getting the most out of every operation of the franchise from the parquet floor to the Maine roster.

Gyso also makes me think we need to start a write-in campaign to get that Maine name changed back to Red Claws 🦞
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:18 pm

interesting...I watch them alot on Saturday afternoon/evenings. I think the objective was to bring a certain air of professionalism to the organization. But, changing the name back gives them an identity separate from the big club. I know that they want to have this be more of a "minor league" of the NBA, with the Celtics as the parent team. Maybe he is right, giving them back their identity might be a good thing
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by prakash Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:29 pm

NYCelt wrote:
worcester wrote:Any chance he could become Mike's replacement?

Zero, I believe. That spot belongs to Drew Carter. Probably for as long as he wants it.

I think Van Gundy still makes his home in Houston. Probably not the best geographic location for a guy calling 82 + Celtic games.

Van Gundy is most assuredly here to push the coaching and front office operations into elite, championship oriented territory.

Before taking a position with the Clippers, Jerry West was a consultant with the Dubs. I believe that he was instrumental in their drafting Klay and also in swinging KD to Golden State. JVG is no West but I liked him as an analyst. He showed a discerning eye, something that is very important.

prakash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down