Romeo Langford Assigned to Red Claws

4 posters

Go down

Romeo Langford Assigned to Red Claws Empty Romeo Langford Assigned to Red Claws

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:20 pm

Jared Weiss @JaredWeissNBA
about 1 hour ago
Romeo Langford is going to be joining the Red Claws for this week’s training camp and is expected to spend plenty of time in Maine this year getting his reps on the floor.

reply retweet like

Chris Grenham @chrisgrenham
about 1 hour ago
The @maineredclaws’ training camp roster currently includes Romeo Langford, Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters, Kaiser Gates, Yante Maten, Bryce Brown, Trey Davis and Justin Bibbs. Pretty entertaining group.

reply retweet like

bob
MY NOTE:  This might be the first time I have ever heard of a lottery pick being expected to spend a lot of time in the G-League while the #21 and #33 picks in the same draft are rotation players.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Romeo Langford Assigned to Red Claws Empty Re: Romeo Langford Assigned to Red Claws

Post by dboss Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:38 pm

I do not know how Langford will pan out.  Sitting in street cloths on the bench or in uniform does not help him.

He can work on his skills in ME and then try to find minutes with the Celtics.  

I do not know how or why you use a lottery pick on a guy that cannot beat out Brad Wannamaker for playing time.  

At this point I really do not know if Romeo is a boom or a bust.  However this team is deep at the wing (including Smart) so perhaps he is fighting against a numbers game.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Romeo Langford Assigned to Red Claws Empty Re: Romeo Langford Assigned to Red Claws

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:00 pm

dboss wrote:I do not know how Langford will pan out.  Sitting in street cloths on the bench or in uniform does not help him.

He can work on his skills in ME and then try to find minutes with the Celtics.  

I do not know how or why you use a lottery pick on a guy that cannot beat out Brad Wannamaker for playing time.  

At this point I really do not know if Romeo is a boom or a bust.  However this team is deep at the wing (including Smart) so perhaps he is fighting against a numbers game.

dboss,

I'm not as down on Wanamaker as you are, but Romeo has almost not played at all since the end of college.  Wanamaker knows Brad's plays, he executes them.  Romeo is SO far behind in his assimilation it would almost be irresponsible, in my opinion, to just throw him out there now.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:13 pm

I am not down on Wannamaker.  He is a veteran and brings some measure of stability but to me he would be a 4th string pg.  He is around 30 years old with no upside.

Romeo is a lotto pick.  He should be top 13 on this team.  And we had a bunch of bulls..t being decimated by the Celtics about how good he looked.

I do know one thing for certain.  You have to play to get better.  Brad has failed to give him a chance.  Comeon you mean to tell me he does not deserve VP level minutes?

6 minutes here and 7 minutes there.  Come in and use a foul.  Something, anything?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:55 pm

Doc would not play Rondo as a rook until injuries opened up a spot. Rondo turned out ok.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:10 pm

dboss wrote:I am not down on Wannamaker.  He is a veteran and brings some measure of stability but to me he would be a 4th string pg.  He is around 30 years old with no upside.

Romeo is a lotto pick.  He should be top 13 on this team.  And we had a bunch of bulls..t being decimated by the Celtics about how good he looked.

I do know one thing for certain.  You have to play to get better.  Brad has failed to give him a chance.  Comeon you mean to tell me he does not deserve VP level minutes?

6 minutes here and 7 minutes there.  Come in and use a foul.  Something, anything?

Dboss,

One can say that about every player 30+, and yet young teams VERY rarely win Championships.  That's because upside doesn't win Championships, execution does and rookies don't execute like veterans.

Romeo is not a point guard, he's a SG/SF.  Which wing would you steal minutes from for Romeo?  Jaylen?  Smart?  Poirier has years of professional experience, Romeo has none.  He'll get 30 mpg in Maine and extensive coaching one-on-one time.  He'll be lucky to get a small fraction of either of those in Boston.

Remember how Avery Bradley became a completely different player in his sophomore year after spending almost his entire rookie year in Maine?  Romeo might be Avery Bradley deja vu all over again.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:56 pm

Jaylen missed 2 games and expected to miss a 3rd straight game.  We have no wing depth off the bench.

I cannot recall a single Celtics lottery pick that did not get a chance to play.

Rondo was not a lotto pick.

There were several posts about Romeo being able to run the offense.  

I am not suggesting that Langford should get a lot of minutes but he should get some minutes.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:42 pm

Worcester

Rondo played 78 games his first year and started in 25 of them.  Doc played him 23 MPG as a rookie.

Bob 

Avery did not spend most of his time in the D-League.  He only played 9 games in ME and 31 games with the Celtics.  He was slotted to be a PG.  That did not work out too well.

Neither player was drafted in the Lottery.  

VP has years of experience in playing in Europe but he is still a rookie in the NBA and so far he looks like a rookie playing in the NBA.

What I see is a bunch of choppy minutes for a lot of guys but none for Langford. If you use a lottery pick to select a guy you should get him in the game or you should not have drafted him in the first place.  Maybe you should have traded up or drafted for a position of need.

Without Jaylen Brown and with Marcus starting in his place we have not a single wing off the bench.  What could possibly go wrong with getting Langford a few minutes off the bench given the lack of wing depth?
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:00 am

I have to go 100% with the decision to send this young guy to Portland at this time.

He has just not played enough, even in practice, yet to have earned varsity game minutes. Missed all of the summer, was hurt again after his thumb recovered, etc, etc. We don't even know who much he has even played in practices till now.

Perhaps he doesn't stay too long in Maine, but until he can get into some games it is a great place for him right now whether Boston has enough depth at the wing while Brown gets healthy. And, it is not like it is 23 million miles from Portland to Boston if they do need him if there is another injury or illness.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:29 am

Dboss,  Rajon did not get many minutes at the start of his rookie season, and none as a starter. However, when the crazy kid who sllept with LeBron's mother got hurt, Rajon cracked the starting lineup and did not leave it until Brad got tired of his act. I loved Rondo from the very start and was rooting for him to get more minutes.

Romeo is hardly getting any minutes now, and he may very well not be in any sort of NBA basketball shape. Practice and playing in games gets one in shape. When does he get that chance now? With the RedClaws he will get beaucoup minutes and buckets galore. As you point out, our bench is thin on wings. Three weeks in Portland will get him in tip top playing shape, and then one injury to a wing, and he'll be on that train to North Station.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:02 pm

worcester wrote:Dboss,  Rajon did not get many minutes at the start of his rookie season, and none as a starter. However, when the crazy kid who sllept with LeBron's mother got hurt, Rajon cracked the starting lineup and did not leave it until Brad got tired of his act. I loved Rondo from the very start and was rooting for him to get more minutes.

Romeo is hardly getting any minutes now, and he may very well not be in any sort of NBA basketball shape. Practice and playing in games gets one in shape. When does he get that chance now? With the RedClaws he will get beaucoup minutes and buckets galore. As you point out, our bench is thin on wings. Three weeks in Portland will get him in tip top playing shape, and then one injury to a wing, and he'll be on that train to North Station.
Worcester 2006-07 season still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Rondo averaged 19 MPG through the first 11 games of the season.  The fact is he did play at the start of his rookie year.  See game log below 

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3026/type/nba/year/2007

I do not think Rondo or AB are good examples to compare to Romeo Langford in terms of playing time. I cannot recall a single Celtics lottery pick that did not get a few minutes starting off.  Romeo has been strapped with injuries which may have impacted the lack of playing time but the recent groin injury is long gone.  I did not expect him to get a lot of playing time and I do think it is good for him to play in Maine.  I did however expect to see him in a game by now, very limited minutes not withstanding.  

Perhaps if Brad Stevens did not make a statement saying that The game comes easy for him my expectations would be different.

Celtics head coach Brad Stevens has taken notice of Langford’s skill level, saying “he’s got touch… knows how to score the ball. He’s a good player.” 

Brad Stevens on Romeo Langford:

"It’s funny, even when he’s playing open gym before the season, seemed to go in a little bit more when he was playing … He’s got touch, he knows how to score the ball. He’s a good player. The game comes really easy to him.”

I do not subscribe to a lot of BS. I see no good reason why you cannot play your top draft pick, a lottery selection, a few minutes to get him going.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down