Romeo Langford injury: Celtics rookie has torn wrist ligaments, uncertain for playoffs

Go down

Romeo Langford injury: Celtics rookie has torn wrist ligaments, uncertain for playoffs Empty Romeo Langford injury: Celtics rookie has torn wrist ligaments, uncertain for playoffs

Post by bobheckler Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:05 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/romeo-langford-injury-celtics-rookie-180558342.html

Romeo Langford injury: Celtics rookie has torn wrist ligaments, uncertain for playoffs

Chris Forsberg
NBC Sports Boston

August 15, 2020, 11:05 AM PDT

Boston Celtics rookie Romeo Langford suffered torn ligaments in his right shooting wrist during the team's seeding-game finale, and head coach Brad Stevens said he's unsure if Langford will be available in the postseason.

"He will probably have to do something about [the injury] at some time. But we're still going through the process of determining the next step with him," Stevens said Saturday afternoon during a post-practice Zoom with reporters. "I don't know if that means that, down the road, he'll have to take time off, if that means he'll have to have it worked on, but they're determining and we're still in the process of determining how he feels and whether or not he'll be available or not."

The torn ligaments are the latest injury setback for Langford, the No. 14 pick in last year's draft. He missed time at the start of training camp after undergoing right thumb surgery while playing with an injury during his lone season at Indiana University. Langford also missed time during his rookie year due to a sore right knee (three games), a right ankle sprain (six games), and illness (four games).

Despite all that, Langford had started to emerge as a potential depth option with his play right before quarantine and some strong moments inside the bubble. Stevens had previously noted that Langford had positioned himself for potential playoff opportunities, but now the doctors will determine if he can even suit up.

Stevens said he feels for the young player but believes he can help the Celtics further down the road.

"That stinks. He'd be better able to answer the emotional roller coaster you go on when you experience those injuries and those setbacks, and it's always been significant enough that it's been at least a portion of time, not just a day here or there. So that stinks," said Stevens. "I feel for him. He is a hard-working guy, he's a tough guy, and I think he's got a bright, bright future.

"Again, I hope that he's able to play, but that's going to be totally dependent on our doctors, and dependent on his, probably, pain. So he's going to have to test that and get used to it and see what it feels like. If not, then we'll have him back when we have him back."

bob
MY NOTE:  Man.  This kid just cannot get a break with injuries!  Realistically, he wasn't going to be getting a lot of minutes, so it's no big loss for the team, but man...

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down