Grant Williams and Mr. Bill Russell

3 posters

Go down

Grant Williams and Mr. Bill Russell Empty Grant Williams and Mr. Bill Russell

Post by bobc33 Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:41 pm

Another reason to like Grant Williams.  

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/02/boston-celtics-grant-williams-thanked-bill-russell-at-halftime-vs-lakers-for-everything-hes-done-for-the-game.html

Boston Celtics’ Grant Williams thanked Bill Russell at halftime vs. Lakers for ‘everything he’s done for the game’
Today 9:25 PM
Bill Russell
Former Boston Celtic player Bill Russell, left, watches an NBA basketball game between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Boston Celtics Sunday, Feb. 23, 2020, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)AP

By Tom Westerholm | twesterh@masslive.com
LOS ANGELES -- On a Los Angeles celebrity row that included Denzel Washington, Eddie Murphy and plenty of others at Staples Center on Sunday, one very familiar face sat in the corner near the Boston Celtics’ second-half basket: Bill Russell, who participated in a panel at Staples Center on Sunday morning.

Russell -- who watched the Celtics fall 114-112 to the Lakers in a hard-fought contest -- was decked out in a Kobe Bryant jersey and a baseball cap with the letters “KB” in a purple-and-gold heart. Bryant’s memorial will take place on Monday at the Staples Center after the former Laker and his 13-year-old daughter Gianna died in a helicopter crash last month.

“I see everyone tweeting I am wearing (a) Lakers jersey,” Russell tweeted. I would do anything to honor Kobe and Gianna."

Russell’s presence on the baseline was noted by at least one Celtic: Rookie Grant Williams. At halftime, after Williams emerged from the locker room, he approached Russell and shook his hand.

“I just wanted to thank him for everything he’s done for the game,” Williams said. “I said I was thankful, because he was so impactful. He was a dude who was one of the best players in the game, a historic Boston legend, and honestly it was just good to see him in person for the first time. You see all the celebrities in LA and all this stuff, but I was more focused on Bill Russell than anybody else. Denzel was there, all those other guys, but Bill was special.”

Williams, who scored five points in 13 minutes against Los Angeles, didn’t hang around long. He wanted to respect Russell’s time, so he shook the Celtics’ legend’s hand and went to get shots up with his teammates. But he said getting a chance to play a game -- especially that game -- in front of Russell was a big moment.

“It was really cool, especially a game of that magnitude and intensity. Lakers vs. Celtics, something that one of the biggest rivalries in sports and playing against LeBron, it was fun. It was a competitive environment. Hopefully he enjoyed it.”

Presumably Russell did enjoy the game, although he did make his way out of the arena midway through the fourth quarter when the result was still in the balance.

“This close game is not good on us old guys!!” he tweeted shortly afterward.

Back to top Go down

Grant Williams and Mr. Bill Russell Empty Re: Grant Williams and Mr. Bill Russell

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:22 am

Great find, thanks for sharing bobc33....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Grant Williams and Mr. Bill Russell Empty Re: Grant Williams and Mr. Bill Russell

Post by wideclyde Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:15 am

As the season has progressed, this might just be another little thing that shows that Grant Williams is a high level young man who will be a plus for the Cs for many more years.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down