NYCelt
Sam
RosalieTCeltics
18 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Official Ray Allen thread - Page 3 Empty Re: The Official Ray Allen thread

Post by jeb Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:35 pm

well if he would dedicate himself i would be all for it. But all in all i would say no. too combustable.... what a wasted talent.
jeb
jeb

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:22 pm

The deal is done. Ray's re-signing with the Celts for 2 years at $10 million per year. That's a whole lot better than Ray resigning from the Celts. Hooray!!!!
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by 112288 Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:25 pm

Sorry but we over paid by 3-4 million.

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:32 pm

I'm happy to see this one.

Thanks Paul Pierce, for taking a little less to make this and maybe one or two others possible.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:34 pm

oh good - thx, worcester (town where i went to school, a million years ago ! ) -- the news hadn't made in to denver yet. nice to know, glad he'll be back.
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by babyskyhook Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:27 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Now I can sleep tonight!!! I wonder why he only signed for two years, with the option being his at the end of the year? That is hardly the security I would think he wanted. HOWEVER, I will be happy with what it is.

What's next????????????

Congrats guys, and most especially to you Rosie, the conductor of the Re-sign Ray Allen Bandwagon.

Good deal for both sides.

I think the Cs only offered the two years, given Ray's age. That way his deal coincides with KG's, and if they feel like they need to blow the team up 2 years from now they'll have a lot more flexibility to do it.

The player option I think is a way for Ray to not get dangled at the trade deadline. No other team is going to want to trade for him if they don't know whether he will opt out or not.

Both sides win- Ray gets good money and doesn't have to worry about getting dealt, and Cs get Ray at fair price and good contract length.

babyskyhook
babyskyhook

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoopdeedoo Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:10 am

BSK,

Well put. Win-Win and now on to the C's big man search.

Hoop
Hoopdeedoo
Hoopdeedoo

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:25 am

One more time!! (maybe two)

The Official Ray Allen thread - Page 3 88031_celtics_allen_basketball

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:47 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:For a long time now I have been saying that I felt that Ray's career would be prolonged if he started coming off the bench. He brought stability to that second unit time and time again, and yet, being the threat that he is, no one could take him lightly.

Many people on the Celtics Blog have a different opinion of Ray. They felt that he let the team down in the final series. There is no way in heck that this happened. No one played harder than Ray at both ends of the floor, he played 45 minutes in the final game! He is not the scape goat for this team.

Bringing Ray back is a necessity. There is no one out there who can fill his shoes right now. Even Doc realizes his importance and says that his signing is as important to the Celtics as LeBron's is to who ever signs him. With that statement, there is no way they give him a two year contract. Give him three and get this thing over with. I have not read what kind of money they are offering him, but it is the years that seem to be the hold up.

Roaslie we know Ray played hard,but was he effective in his role as long range sniper?I was at game 3 when Ray went 0-13,if only he could have went 4-13 we win the series in 5.As great as our run was in this years playoffs we just didn't have quite enough depth and shooting.Ray was 4-30 from 3 after game 2,now we know we have to get more shooting depth at the wing.Harangody has a great stroke,looks like a great find,TA and Marquise left a big shooting void.We have got to figure out a way to rest Ray more so he can be more effective now that we have him for 2 more years.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:13 am

Cow

I'm glad he's here as he is a class act and your points are well taken.

I still think at this stage in his career comming off the bench after 5-6 minutes is still the best move on many fronts. I think too much concern is being made about starting and whom might start in his place. And that the replacement be a dead eye shooter.

In looking at our rosters in the past in the 70's we had Jo Jo on the point with Don Chaney as the 2...........certainly no great threat from outside.

Charlie Scott was a 2 as were Dee Brown ( Sherm ran the point then) and Kevin Gamble. Thing is we arn't going to get a "great" replacement for him at the 2 and I don't think we need a great one anyway. Heck I'd even start Tony Allen and let him play D on whomever and I don't even care if he doesn't score a point in those first 5-6 minutes. Then bring RA in.

We might not get as good a player as a replacement for starting but if we do not reduce RA minutes I think it is painfully obvious what the results will be.

The treads on the tires are thin.

Just one guys opinion.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkleen09 Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:15 am

112288 wrote:Sorry but we over paid by 3-4 million.

Your joking right? You think Ray Allen is only worth 6 million per year? On par with people like Matt Barnes and Mike Miller?

mrkleen09
mrkleen09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:16 am

If the Celtics started Tony Allen, all 5 defenders would station themselves around the lane and never leave their positions. The opponents' defense would be more rested at the end of the game than at the beginning. They'd watch Rondo frantically running around the outside as he tried in vain to make interior passes through the defensive wall. They'd watch Tony trying to use his athleticism to crash through the same wall and make errant 7-foot "layup" heaves. They'd be able to play Paul Pierce tightly one-on-one, safe in the knowledge that he'd be primarily a jump-shooter. Perk (or his sub) would be like a scrub pine among tall timber down low. KG would probably have the best luck of the five by tossing up 20 jumpers a game. Every 10th game, the Celtics would get an offensive rebound on an inordinately long carom (most likely off Tony's shots).

It's would be easy to give Ray more rest if he a starter, simply by (1) making him the first starter (rather than the last) substituted for in Doc's staggered substitution pattern and (2) developing the bench so it can stand on its own without involving Ray. The latter can happen if they make the bench a more uptempo unit, since the athleticism and defensive disruption of uptempo ball, played the right way, can often go a long way in compensating for inexperience.

Ray's no more of a tin soldier than any other player. Doc won't just stick him in a slot without considering the impact on everyone around him. Doc won't compromise the chemistry of the starting unit, which has the responsibility of feeling out the opponent and trying to set the pace for the game. It's really ironic that people are so happy that the Three Amigos are still united but are so ready to split them up as far as the actual playing rotation goes.

And finally, as I'm thinking of adding to every one of my posts: Show me an alternative SG who can space the floor for the starters.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

https://samcelt.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:39 am

Sam - i guess Irony be my middle name ...

(and you already know no one can show you who we currently have who would spread the floor ... and the MLE will go to a big ... )

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by mulcogiseng Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:45 am

OK, I admit it, I was wrong. I said 3 years at 10 million with the last being an option year and it was two. whoddathunk? But I'm glad that Ray is back and we have our core team for another run at #18. It will be interesting to see who makes up the rest of the roster. Will some of our role players be back? Will Danny jump deep into FA waters? and what's up with Sheed? LOL It's all rumors until the ink is dry but anyone who wants to count out the C's for next June should think again. This is going to be a much easier off season now, at least for me. Reality is so much more fun than fantasy, even at my age.
mulcogiseng
mulcogiseng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:03 pm

Michael,

The way I see it, the key is Sheed. I expect the Celtics will spend the MLE on the best big they can find. That leaves them with veteran's minimum contracts unless Sheed leaves. If he decides to retire, my understanding is that they could trade Sheed's contract and, after the cap hold, they might be able to bring in someone through that trade who would be in the $3-$4 million salary bracket. That could be either a big or a wing; but, either way, I can't see it bringing in someone of Ray's caliber.

Personally, IF Sheed's contract becomes tradeable, I'd prefer they spend it on trading for another big (maybe a combo guy like Beasley), because I think it would be easier to get another decent wing than another decent big with the veteran's minimum. Then I'd focus their wing search on a G-F to shore up the bench for the vet's minimum rather than to try to replace Ray with some small-contract guy. I'd sign Tony and Scal (as an emergency big), and I'd bring in maybe three players from the summer league as development projects.

The fact is that, as nice as it is to have the Three Amigos back together to combine with Rondo as a nucleus, the Celtics (with Perk's loss) have not quite stood pat in the face of dramatic improvement by some other eastern teams. IF Perk can return to contribute in the playoffs, the Celtics would have improved themselves by adding his interim replacement. But they need to eke out every bit of enhancement they can muster to keep pace with the competition. The moves I suggested represent, I believe, their most realistic hope, short of a now-unlikely Danny Ainge blockbuster.

And the linchpin for the whole thing could be Sheed's contract.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bigpygme Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:12 pm

Sam -

point well made (and taken).

sheed, or his money, seems to be what they have to work with ... and i agree, they need to go BIG !

the Heat are going to be a much more formidable group now, aren't they ...

Michael
bigpygme
bigpygme

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Yeah, depending on what they surround their big three with IF Lebron signs with them. And I don't mean to imply that they don't need wing help. They definitely do. Right now, I'd be happy with a defensively minded legitimate 6' 8" veteran at the minimum and bringing in this guy Deshawn Sims in for training camp.

Sam
Sam
Sam
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:10 pm

Sam wrote:If the Celtics started Tony Allen, all 5 defenders would station themselves around the lane and never leave their positions. The opponents' defense would be more rested at the end of the game than at the beginning. They'd watch Rondo frantically running around the outside as he tried in vain to make interior passes through the defensive wall. They'd watch Tony trying to use his athleticism to crash through the same wall and make errant 7-foot "layup" heaves. They'd be able to play Paul Pierce tightly one-on-one, safe in the knowledge that he'd be primarily a jump-shooter. Perk (or his sub) would be like a scrub pine among tall timber down low. KG would probably have the best luck of the five by tossing up 20 jumpers a game. Every 10th game, the Celtics would get an offensive rebound on an inordinately long carom (most likely off Tony's shots).

It's would be easy to give Ray more rest if he a starter, simply by (1) making him the first starter (rather than the last) substituted for in Doc's staggered substitution pattern and (2) developing the bench so it can stand on its own without involving Ray. The latter can happen if they make the bench a more uptempo unit, since the athleticism and defensive disruption of uptempo ball, played the right way, can often go a long way in compensating for inexperience.

Ray's no more of a tin soldier than any other player. Doc won't just stick him in a slot without considering the impact on everyone around him. Doc won't compromise the chemistry of the starting unit, which has the responsibility of feeling out the opponent and trying to set the pace for the game. It's really ironic that people are so happy that the Three Amigos are still united but are so ready to split them up as far as the actual playing rotation goes.

And finally, as I'm thinking of adding to every one of my posts: Show me an alternative SG who can space the floor for the starters.

Sam

I believe we were 5-0 in 08 with TA starting with Ray out.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:01 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
Sam wrote:If the Celtics started Tony Allen, all 5 defenders would station themselves around the lane and never leave their positions. The opponents' defense would be more rested at the end of the game than at the beginning. They'd watch Rondo frantically running around the outside as he tried in vain to make interior passes through the defensive wall. They'd watch Tony trying to use his athleticism to crash through the same wall and make errant 7-foot "layup" heaves. They'd be able to play Paul Pierce tightly one-on-one, safe in the knowledge that he'd be primarily a jump-shooter. Perk (or his sub) would be like a scrub pine among tall timber down low. KG would probably have the best luck of the five by tossing up 20 jumpers a game. Every 10th game, the Celtics would get an offensive rebound on an inordinately long carom (most likely off Tony's shots).

Sam

I believe we were 5-0 in 08 with TA starting with Ray out.

Between Jan 27 and Feb 13, 2008, we were 7-2 with Scal starting with KG out...

Maybe we should have KG as our 6th man and bring back Scal as a starter.

That just shows that faulty sampling is not a good method to prove a point.

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:11 pm

Here's an opinion from the assistant editor at Realgm.com, who regularly opines on the Celtics. This time he reviews and grades the Ray Allen and Jermaine O'Neal signings.

http://celtics.realgm.com/articles/385/20100708/grading_the_deals_celtics_re-sign_ray_allen_add_jermaine/

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:46 pm

Allen is the glue that keeps the Celtics together as a team rather than four individual stars, which is why he’s worth $20 million over two seasons.

I believe that.

Back to top Go down

Post by sinus007 Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:08 pm

gyso wrote:Allen is the glue that keeps the Celtics together as a team rather than four individual stars, which is why he’s worth $20 million over two seasons.

I believe that.

Hi,
I think it was established on this forum long time ago. RA=glue, that is.

AK
sinus007
sinus007

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:38 pm

Not to beat a dead horse, but isn't this what I have said for almost a year?
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by beat Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:49 pm

Rosalee,

Interesting choice of words...............dead horse!

35 years ago and 2 days July 7 1975, Ruffian and Foolish Pleasure had there match race at Belmont Park.

beat
beat
beat

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:58 pm

The Official Ray Allen thread - Page 3 Ray_al11

It's official, Ray has signed:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhA8Cz0tRlHkydADVfZHkle8vLYF?slug=ap-celtics-allen

Ray Allen is glad to be back with the Boston Celtics.
Allen said on Tuesday that he didn’t really want to uproot his family and make them adjust to a new city. His first choice was to stay in Boston, and things worked out for a two-year deal worth about $20 million.

Allen had his physical at the Celtics’ workout facility on Tuesday and finalized his contract. With his signing, the Celtics have the core of the team that won the 2008 NBA title back for another run.

The Celtics lost this year in the finals to the Los Angeles Lakers.
Allen turns 35 next week. He is 28th on the NBA’s career scoring list, and he is fifth among active players.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next