+4
dboss
cowens/oldschool
bobheckler
RosalieTCeltics
8 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

It may not be real games but........ - Page 2 Empty Re: It may not be real games but........

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:48 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:You are really rubbing it in Bob!!!! I am so bored without good Celtic news and play.  Driving me nuts and it is going extend into May sometime. What about California, are you still housebound?

Rosalie,

Yep, we're still locked down.  It was county-by-county at first, then Governor Gavin Newsome made it statewide.  My county, San Mateo has been locked down since the 2nd week of March, before Newsome's statewide shelter-in-place order.  It was supposed to be lifted on April 6th - 7th but it is now extended another 4 weeks until May 3rd. At total of 6 - 7 weeks.  That's a long time to shut down the world's 5th biggest economy.

The good news is there's a lot of people walking, at an acceptable distance from each other and not just sitting around and watching the tube.

Our infection rate is dropping.  We should be in the clear soon, unless some truck driver from a state that didn't shut down comes here and fires it up again.  If that happens he might not get outta here alive.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

It may not be real games but........ - Page 2 Empty Re: It may not be real games but........

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:51 pm

worcester wrote:I watched that triple O game with my 4.5 year old daughter and 1.5 year old son in our little apartment in Everett when I was working at my first acupuncture clinic. The TV screen was 15". I was whooping and hollering during the whole game. Can't say that the kids remember it, but they are still rabid, life long Celtics fans.

Worcester,

"4.5 year old daughter and 1.5 year old son"? Don't you mean GRANDdaughter and GRANDson?

Kathleen must be positively shell shocked.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:53 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:00 pm

Worcester...no matter how old they were, you saw the greatest game in Celtic history.  Believe me, there are times when I think back to some of the great games I sat thru and that one is at the top of my list.  
Another game that will forever stick in my head is the year the Celtics came in fourth place, ended up going to the ECF, and played the seventh game on Philadelphia’s court. I was given four tickets to that game by someone I worked with. We drove to Philly, met a guy on a street corner, went to the game, watched them beat Philly, and walked out and drove home. My girlfriend’s brother was driving and he was one pain in the neck!! But, I got to see the game, sat right behind the Celtics bench.  

These down times bring back great memories!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:43 pm

Bob, I am talking about watching that game live on tv in 1976 when we were all a lot younger...I was 29 then. Kathleen,whom I had not met yet, was 22.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:45 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:32 pm

Rosalie. That ECF was right before the Finals against LA. Our Sam was at that championship balloon game. 1969 was such an amazing season. Russ was hobbled for much of the year, but he came through big time when it mattered.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:35 pm

He also was at the game in Philadelphia because we talked about it. I could have had tickets to that game in LA too, but my Mom threatened me with my life because we were planning my wedding at the time and she told me she would kill me if I spent the $$$ to go !!!!!!  Boy, regrets!!! I should have gone, she was a lot of talk but the most she would have done is not talk to me for a couple of days.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:39 pm

The other thing about that game was that Russell walked off of the plane and announced his retirement so he and Sam Jones retired together.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:50 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:The other thing about that game was that Russell walked off of the plane and announced his retirement so he and Sam Jones retired together.

Russel had a few more years left, we were already a 4th place team, I would have loved if he stuck around to go against Alcindor and waited to play with Cowens as his PF.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:57 am

There were alot of miles on those legs. He had worked his tail off for the entire time he was player and player/coach. He was burnt out 11 championships in 13 years, what was left to accomplish. NCAA titles, Olympic champion, World Champion. I never blamed him for walking away, but it hurt like hell when he did. He took that coaching job because he knew no one could coach him and get the most out of his team. He willed that title, it was an exciting time. They were never supposed to win, and because of Russell, they did.

The funny think about that finals game with Philly, I watched Champerlain refuse to go back in
the game because Russell was kicking his ass. He sat there and shook his head "NO" when the coach called on him to go back in. A beaten man. It was surreal.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:04 am

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:50 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:
RosalieTCeltics wrote:The other thing about that game was that Russell walked off of the plane and announced his retirement so he and Sam Jones retired together.

Russel had a few more years left, we were already a 4th place team, I would have loved if he stuck around to go against Alcindor and waited to play with Cowens as his PF.

I would have loved it if Dave Cowens had stuck around for a couple of years and played with Bird.

Unintended consequences may have lead to no Parrish and McHale, so I guess beware what you wish for. affraid

gyso

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:13 pm

What a pick, what a screene, sealing it off for all the scorers on this team. What an addition to our starting lineup. Al who??????
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:40 pm

"Into the trainer's lap.  Who wants it?".  He called it.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:43 pm

I just watched this game, they are showing reruns of great Celtic games on NBC/TV Boston.  Last night it was the 2002 Nets/Celtics game where the Celts came from way back to beat the Nets, then the 4th game of the 2008 Lakers/Celtics playoff game where they came back.  Oh that move you made on Sasha Ray!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:16 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:14 pm

gyso wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

I would have loved it if Dave Cowens had stuck around for a couple of years and played with Bird.  

Unintended consequences may have lead to no Parrish and McHale, so I guess beware what you wish for.  affraid

gyso

Cowens should have stuck around, they acquired Parish and McHale with him already on the roster, he was having foot issues and didn’t think he could play at his normal level, but on that team, he could just go hard for 15-20 minutes a game and just do the dirty work. Would have been more fun to see him on that championship team.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:09 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:There were alot of miles on those legs.  He had worked his tail off for the entire time he was player and player/coach.  He was burnt out 11 championships in 13 years, what was left to accomplish. NCAA titles, Olympic champion, World Champion.  I never blamed him for walking away, but it hurt like hell when he did. He took that coaching job because he knew no one could coach him and get the most out of his team.  He willed that title,  it was an exciting time. They were never supposed to win, and because of Russell, they did.

The funny think about that finals game with Philly, I watched Champerlain refuse to go back in
the game because Russell was kicking his ass.  He sat there and shook his head "NO" when the coach called on him to go back in. A beaten man.  It was surreal.

http://archive.nba.com/encyclopedia/finals/1969_finals.html

Above article claims that Wilt indicated to the laker coach that he was ready to go back in but the Laker coach demurred.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:53 pm

Don't believe him!!!!!!!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by swish Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:50 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Don't believe him!!!!!!!!!!

Rosalie - Could be that it's true. Here's a 2nd writeup by Wikipedia on this subject

Pro coaching career

This section does not cite any sources. Please help improve this section by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.
Find sources: "Butch van Breda Kolff" – news · newspapers · books · scholar · JSTOR (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Van Breda Kolff's success in college attracted the attention of the NBA. The Lakers hired him in 1967, and in his first season guided the team to the NBA Finals, where they lost to the Boston Celtics in six games. In his second campaign for the Lakers, his team — with Elgin Baylor, Jerry West, and Wilt Chamberlain — notched a 55-27 record and reached the Finals again," but Van Breda Kolff and Chamberlain did not get along at all (the coach thought his star center was spoiled and openly favored Baylor and West over him, while Chamberlain viewed his coach as a loser and barely tolerated him). Van Breda Kolff took tremendous flak for not allowing Chamberlain back in the game for the final minutes of game 7 of the NBA finals against Boston. Chamberlain picked up his fifth foul midway through the fourth quarter, and shortly thereafter asked out of the game with knee pain. With backup center Mel Counts in the game, the Lakers cut a seven-point deficit to two points. Chamberlain then motioned to Van Breda Kolff that he was ready to go back in the game, to which Van Breda Kolff told him "sit your big ass down" and "we don't need you." The Lakers lost by two points, and van Breda Kolff resigned before he could be fired by Lakers owner Jack Kent Cooke." Game 7 marked the last time he would coach an NBA team in a postseason game.

He then went on to Detroit, where he coached the Pistons for just over two seasons. In 1970–71 he guided the team to a 45–37 mark, Detroit's first winning season in fifteen years. He left the team ten games into the next season, stating in a 1984 Sports Illustrated article that he quit after being cursed at repeatedly by frustrated fans. Van Breda Kolff coached the Phoenix Suns for the first seven games of the 1972–73 campaign before being fired and replaced by Jerry Colangelo. He did a stint with Memphis of the American Basketball Association in 1973–74. From 1974 to 1977 he coached the New Orleans Jazz, taking over in the middle of the 1974–75 season and departing with a 14-12 record partway through the 1976–77 season.

swish

swish

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:08 pm

Boy I wish Sam was here. He was at that game, those wonderful balloons that never got dropped.!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:10 am

Wilt should have just stepped on the floor, told Counts to go to the bench, told the ref I’m checking in, think the refs woulda stopped him, I don’t...???

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:43 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:22 pm

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next