Celtics' Tremont Waters wins 2020 NBA G-League Rookie of the Year award

+2
dboss
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Celtics' Tremont Waters wins 2020 NBA G-League Rookie of the Year award Empty Celtics' Tremont Waters wins 2020 NBA G-League Rookie of the Year award

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:11 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/celtics-tremont-waters-wins-2020-155319554.html

Celtics' Tremont Waters wins 2020 NBA G-League Rookie of the Year award

Nick Goss
NBC Sports Boston

June 18, 2020, 8:53 AM PDT

Boston Celtics point guard Tremont Waters has a bright future ahead of him, and he proved that playing for the Maine Red Claws in the NBA G-League this season.

The former LSU star averaged 18 points, 7.3 assists, 3.2 rebounds and 1.9 steals in 36 games for the Red Claws. His excellent performance was rewarded Thursday when the G-League announced Waters was the winner of its 2019-20 Rookie of the Year Award.

The award is voted on by the G-League's 28 head coaches and general managers.

Waters was selected by Boston in the second round (51st overall) of the 2019 NBA Draft. He's one of four Red Claws players to win the G-League's Rookie of the Year Award, joining DeShawn Sims (2010-11), Tim Frazier (2014-15) and Abdel Nader (2016-17).

Waters has been a two-way player for the Celtics as a rookie. He's appeared in 10 games for Boston and averaged 3.3 points and 1.2 assists in 8.9 minutes per night. It's possible he could have a spot on the Celtics' playoff roster, depending on what rules the league tweaks/creates ahead of next month's season restart.

bob
MY NOTE:  Well, the kid did what he needed to do and showed what he needed to show.  Whether Danny and Brad want to keep steady veteran Brad Wanamaker (who is also cheap, strong for his position) or Carsen Edwards (who showed us nothing in the regular season) is up to them but Tremont Waters did his job by making it a tough decision for them. That's the player's job, making it hard if not impossible for the GM to keep him off the team and for the coach to keep him off the court.

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Celtics' Tremont Waters wins 2020 NBA G-League Rookie of the Year award Empty Re: Celtics' Tremont Waters wins 2020 NBA G-League Rookie of the Year award

Post by dboss Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:50 pm

Congratulations to Tremont.

He will be itching to ditch the two-way deal and make the 15 man roster.  If not in Boston somewhere else.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Celtics' Tremont Waters wins 2020 NBA G-League Rookie of the Year award Empty Re: Celtics' Tremont Waters wins 2020 NBA G-League Rookie of the Year award

Post by bobheckler Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:58 pm

https://twitter.com/i/status/1273785081778364416

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by wideclyde Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:30 am

Well done and nice recognition for Mr. Waters, but there are no guarantees for guys in this position relating to further NBA success. Hope he makes it.

wideclyde

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:35 am

He’s got to further get his 3 point shooting down, if he can improve on that enough, he will be in this league for a long time as does a lot of other little things very well....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by KyleCleric Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:42 am

If rosters really are expanding to 17, he does have an opportunity to make an impact for the Cs to finish the year and playoffs.

KyleCleric

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:09 pm

Tremont making Carsen look redundant.

I know it's G League, I know the players are sub-NBA, but a lot of these passes should transfer very nicely to the Celtics.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:29 pm

There were GM's out there during the season that commented that Waters was a good back up point guard. His size is what worries me. Those little ones, unless they are tremendous shooters, always seem to go from team to team. I know that Danny liked him, it will be interesting to see what he does with this kid. Carsen Edwards has given us nothing after the Summer League. It is too bad, because I really thought he would be a terrific hot hand off the bench. He signed a 4 yr contract, will that have any effect on what DA decides to do???
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:53 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:There were GM's out there during the season that commented that Waters was a good back up point guard.  His size is what worries me.  Those little ones, unless they are tremendous shooters, always seem to go from team to team.  I know that Danny liked him, it will be interesting to see what he does with this kid.  Carsen Edwards has given us nothing after the Summer League.  It is too bad, because I really thought he would be a terrific hot hand off the bench.  He signed  a 4 yr contract, will that have any effect on what DA decides to do???

Rosalie,

Edwards signed a 3-year contract and a 4th year with a team option. That means he has 2 guaranteed years left. They total $3.3M ($1.52 + $1.78). I don't think Danny or Wyc would blink at eating that money and, for that price for 2 years and a 3rd year already negotiated, there might be teams who will take him.

Semi's next year is a $1.7M team option.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:12 pm

I know a lot of you feel Semi should go, I am not so sure about that. But he is a free agent and someone may just need a defensive player like him and give him an offer he cannot refuse.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:38 am

RosalieTCeltics wrote:I know a lot of you feel Semi should go, I am not so sure about that. But he is a free agent and someone may just need a defensive player like him and give him an offer he cannot refuse.

I actually like Semi in his role, we can pair him RW or GWill in a good reserve 4-5 pairing. If we get a pick with length like Oturu and he proves he can play, then he and GWill, having 2 undersized 4’s may be redundant.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down