Nick Nurse of Toronto Wins Coach of the Year Award

+2
dboss
bobheckler
6 posters

Go down

Nick Nurse of Toronto Wins Coach of the Year Award Empty Nick Nurse of Toronto Wins Coach of the Year Award

Post by bobheckler Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:15 pm

John Karalis 🇬🇷
@RedsArmy_John
·
1h
Nick Nurse easily wins Coach of the Year

Nick Nurse of Toronto Wins Coach of the Year Award EgCls-sXoAAJejj?format=jpg

bob
MY NOTE:  Why did Frank Vogel get so many votes?

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Nick Nurse of Toronto Wins Coach of the Year Award Empty Re: Nick Nurse of Toronto Wins Coach of the Year Award

Post by dboss Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:19 pm

I suppose because they lost KL and still had a great year he got 90 votes.

However A team that lost 5 of their top 8 rotation players including 3 starters deserve a vote for their coach.

I guess we will need to slay them in round two. I do think Nurse is a fantastic coach but 90-0 vs Brad Stevens is a sham.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Nick Nurse of Toronto Wins Coach of the Year Award Empty Re: Nick Nurse of Toronto Wins Coach of the Year Award

Post by gyso Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:52 pm

We will need to win a championship for Brad Stevens to win this award.  But he most likely won't win it in that same year.

In the history of the award, (since 1963) only six coaches won an NBA championship in the same season that they won the award.  That just seems odd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Coach_of_the_Year_Award

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:30 am

gyso,

I'm thinking it will take 2-3 successive championships ala Golden State or Chicago to reluctantly get the chain of command's attention in the league to bestow that award upon Boston.  

db

P.S. Don't hold your breath is all I'm sayin'
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:56 pm

Brad Stevens doesn’t deserve the Coach of the Year or hasn’t been discriminated against just because he coaches the Celtics.
Nick Nurse clearly deserved the award this year.
Boston underperformed the year before.
When Stevens is deserving of the award he will win it.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:46 am

I think you are right, dboss.  We will settle this argument next round.  

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:41 am

Lose Kawhi + still finish 2nd in the East 2.5 games back of the Bucks = COY award.

I get it.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:28 am

tjmakz wrote:Brad Stevens doesn’t deserve the Coach of the Year or hasn’t been discriminated against just because he coaches the Celtics.
TJ I am just saying he deserved a vote.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:31 am

dboss wrote:
tjmakz wrote:Brad Stevens doesn’t deserve the Coach of the Year or hasn’t been discriminated against just because he coaches the Celtics.

If you were on of the 100 people voting, would you have given your 1st place vote to Brad Stevens?
I am a little surprised Nick Nurse didn't win with all 100 votes.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:38 am

tjmakz wrote:
dboss wrote:

If you were on of the 100 people voting, would you have given your 1st place vote to Brad Stevens?
Yes.

Brad lost 5 core rotation guys including 3 starters.  The award is for this year and Stevens has outcoached him this year
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:04 am

dboss wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
dboss wrote:

Yes.

Brad lost 5 core rotation guys including 3 starters.  The award is for this year and Stevens has outcoached him this year

Every one of Toronto's top players missed double digit games this year due to injury.
Out of Toronto's top 5 players (Siakam, Lowry, Van Vleet, Ibaka and Gasol) Siakam played the most with 60 games played.
Jason Tatum played 66.
Boston has 4 all-stars or very close to all-stars.
Toronto has 1 all-star (Siakam) and 1 borderline all-star (Lowry).
In my opinion and every Coach of the Year voter this season, Nurse was the head and shoulders best coach.
If you look back to the predictions for this season, Toronto was predicted to finish in 5th or 6th place in the East.
Boston was predicted to finish 2nd or 3rd.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:24 am

Nurse inherited a team that was already fashioned and nurtured by the previous coach.

I am not saying Brad should be COY. I just said he deserved a vote.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:40 am

dboss wrote:Nurse inherited a team that was already fashioned and nurtured by the previous coach.

I am not saying Brad should be COY.  I just said he deserved a vote.

Nurse lost one of the top 5 players in the world and Danny Green this past off-season.
Since Kawhi waited so long to make his decision and since Toronto was over the cap, they could not replace those two players with any significant players.

Even OKC way over performed their expectations.
OKC traded Paul George and Russell Westbrook in the same off-season.
There was talk of OKC tanking this season.
They finished only 1 1/2 games out of third place in the West.
Billy Donovan did a great job with OKC.

I do not think Brad deserved a top 3 vote this year.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:03 pm

tjmakz wrote:
dboss wrote:Nurse inherited a team that was already fashioned and nurtured by the previous coach.

Nurse lost one of the top 5 players in the world and Danny Green this past off-season.
Since Kawhi waited so long to make his decision and since Toronto was over the cap, they could not replace those two players with any significant players.

Well I disagree. The Celtics with Brad Stevens have played rather well against all of the top teams in the NBA. The Celtics are a top 5 team and have beaten the other 4 including your beloved Lakers, Clippers, Bucks and RAPTORS.

The Raptors under that wonderful coach Nurse lost to both the Bucks and Celtics 1-3. That's 2-6 against the top of the Eastern Conference and you want to debate about Brad not deserving one damn vote.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:17 pm

dboss wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

Well I disagree.  The Celtics with Brad Stevens have played rather well against all of the top teams in the NBA.  The Celtics are a top 5 team and have beaten the other 4 including your beloved Lakers, Clippers, Bucks and RAPTORS.

The Raptors under that wonderful coach Nurse lost to both the Bucks and Celtics 1-3.  That's 2-6 against the top of the Eastern Conference and you want to debate about Brad not deserving one damn vote.  

I didn't know your measuring stick for a Coach is how they did against other top teams.
Boston lost 9 games to teams under .500.
Milwaukee and Toronto only lost 4.
Why couldn't Brad get his team motivated against the sub .500 teams?

We have to look at a coach's full body of work.
That includes looking at his roster from the previous year to the current year.
It also includes the pre-season expectations based on his roster vs. other teams rosters.
If you weren't a Celtics fan, I doubt you would give Brad your first place vote over other more deserving coaches.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:33 pm

tjmakz wrote:
dboss wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

Well I disagree.  The Celtics with Brad Stevens have played rather well against all of the top teams in the NBA.  The Celtics are a top 5 team and have beaten the other 4 including your beloved Lakers, Clippers, Bucks and RAPTORS.

The Raptors under that wonderful coach Nurse lost to both the Bucks and Celtics 1-3.  That's 2-6 against the top of the Eastern Conference and you want to debate about Brad not deserving one damn vote.  

I didn't know your measuring stick for a Coach is how they did against other top teams.

It also includes the pre-season expectations based on his roster vs. other teams rosters.
If you weren't a Celtics fan, I doubt you would give Brad your first place vote over other more deserving coaches.

Giving Brad a first place vote and me being a Celtics fan is mutually exclusive.  I think Brad has done a fantastic job this year but no one on this board is more critical of him than I am.

I think he is well deserving of a first place vote because he has done a fantastic job this year coaching.  Definitely one of the top 3 coaches this year!  No doubt in my mind. You are a passive/aggressive Celtics hater so your opinion is suspect.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by tjmakz Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:50 pm

dboss wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
dboss wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

Giving Brad a first place vote and me being a Celtics fan is mutually exclusive.  I think Brad has done a fantastic job this year but no one on this board is more critical of him than I am.

I think he is well deserving of a first place vote because he has done a fantastic job this year coaching.  Definitely one of the top 3 coaches this year!  No doubt in my mind. You are a passive/aggressive Celtics hater so your opinion is suspect.

If Brad was deserving of the Coach of the Year Award he would get it.
Even though I think Frank Vogel did a great job with the Lakers this year, I do not feel he is deserving of a top 3 vote for Coach of the Year.
With that being said, whose opinion is suspect?
Your love for the Celtics supersedes reasonable opinions/facts, which is fine if you want to view things with that perspective.
tjmakz
tjmakz

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:23 pm

tjmakz wrote:
dboss wrote:
tjmakz wrote:
dboss wrote:
tjmakz wrote:

If Brad was deserving of the Coach of the Year Award he would get it.
Even though I think Frank Vogel did a great job with the Lakers this year, I do not feel he is deserving of a top 3 vote for Coach of the Year.
With that being said, whose opinion is suspect?
Your love for the Celtics supersedes reasonable opinions/facts, which is fine if you want to view things with that perspective.

"Even though I think Frank Vogel did a great job with the Lakers this year, I do not feel he is deserving of a top 3 vote for Coach of the Year."

I agree with your statement. Afterall he has 2 of the top 5 most elite talent.

I am not upset that Nurse won COY. But Brad should have gotten a least one vote because he has his team right there just like Nurse and several other coaches. It has nothing to do with my love for the Celtics.

Getting COY and other awards are not always about who is deserving or not deserving.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down