Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense?

+3
cowens/oldschool
dboss
gyso
7 posters

Go down

Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense?

Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense? Vote_lcap27%Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense? Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 3 ]
Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense? Vote_lcap27%Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense? Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 3 ]
Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense? Vote_lcap18%Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense? Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense? Vote_lcap9%Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense? Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]
Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense? Vote_lcap0%Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense? Vote_lcap18%Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense? Vote_rcap 18% 
[ 2 ]
Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense? Vote_lcap0%Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 11

Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense? Empty Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense?

Post by gyso Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:42 pm

Parts of a post by dboss from the Post Game Thread - Bubble Scrimmage vs Suns thread:

dboss wrote:It appears that our top 8 include Theis, Tatum, Walker, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Wanamaker and Kanter.

Brad has not found that 9th guy who can come in and impact the game offensively but they have several who can help on the defensive end.

Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages?

I changed it to 9-17 (from 9-15) in order to add the two way players.
dbrown gave his answer on that thread, but I hope he will carry it over to this thread.
Vote cancelling is allowed

Back to top Go down

Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense? Empty Re: Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense?

Post by gyso Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:52 pm

I voted for Romeo Langford.

He had such an inconsistent season, he cannot help but improve his offensive numbers.
He is already ready to play defense.
In a wing-centric league, he will be the first wing off the bench not named Smart.

Next player to play above his average: Semi Ojeleye or Grant Williams?

I'll go with Semi. He has the experience edge and it looks like he may have found his shot.

Back to top Go down

Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense? Empty Re: Who will step up [players 9-17] and play above their season averages on offense?

Post by dboss Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:10 pm

I voted for Romeo Langford as well. The reason that I choose him is because (1) he started to play well before the shutdown (2) I think he is the most talented of the guys because he can create his own shot and (3) with GH's pending departure from the bubble, RL is the logical wing to get more minutes.

You cannot score if you do not play.

gyso you are always on top of things...Thanks
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:21 am

dboss wrote:I voted for Romeo Langford as well.  The reason that I choose him is  because (1) he started to play well before the shutdown (2) I think he is the most talented of the guys because he can create his own shot and (3) with GH's pending departure from the bubble, RL is the logical wing to get more minutes.

Forgot about that, GH will be taking a leave, we will need Romeo and the whole bench to step up. I wanted to pick more than one. If CE can find his stroke, I also like GWill, the instinctive way he plays, and gotta root for Tremont who can dish and get in teeth of defense. I really don’t think our bench is that bad. Kantor is a load in the paint and if RW can channel his gifts....

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by bobheckler Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:21 pm

For me the choices are Romeo Langford and Tremont Waters.

Romeo because:

1.  He's coming along.  He plays good defense and doesn't make many unforced errors.  Some, he's a rookie, but not that many considering how few minutes he's played.

2.  Gordon Hayward is going to be leaving the bubble for the birth of his child.  Even if he leaves just as she goes into labor he will have to go back into quarantine before he'll be allowed to join the club and that leaves room for a wing to pick up minutes.  Romeo doesn't have Gordon's offense, but he has some size to play the position.  

Tremont Waters because:

1.  Kemba appears to be a bit fragile.

2.  The offense is very coherent when he is on the floor.

In both of these players' cases neither one of them have to explode out of the box to play above their season averages.

Dark Horses:

Javonte Green.  He's 6'4", smaller than either Romeo or Gordon, but he's a veteran who can score off the bench and our bench scoring is a clear weakness.

Semi Ojelaye.  Experience, defense Giannis about as well as one can and our first game tomorrow is against the Bucks.  If he hits his 3s that will give opposing coaches all kinds of heartburn.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:23 pm

cowens/oldschool wrote:
dboss wrote:I voted for Romeo Langford as well.  The reason that I choose him is  because (1) he started to play well before the shutdown (2) I think he is the most talented of the guys because he can create his own shot and (3) with GH's pending departure from the bubble, RL is the logical wing to get more minutes.

Forgot about that, GH will be taking a leave, we will need Romeo and the whole bench to step up. I wanted to pick more than one. If CE can find his stroke, I also like GWill, the instinctive way he plays, and gotta root for Tremont who can dish and get in teeth of defense. I really don’t think our bench is that bad. Kantor is a load in the paint and if RW can channel his gifts....

Cow I believe our bench was near the bottom in terms of offensive scoring. Ball don't lie. This is a pick a player poll. So it looks like you picked Gwill. Is that your final answer? GYSO set it up for vote cancelling. Kanter by the way is in our top 8.

As you know during the playoffs rotations get squeezed a bit. In absence of a blowout game most of the bench will probably not play much at all. Brad will rely heavily on his veteran guys. I like Waters very much but he is our 4th string PG. If Kemba is fully recovered his backup minutes will go to Smart and Wanamaker. When Gordon leaves the bubble Marcus will move into the starting lineup and will play a ton of minutes. Brad Wanamaker will be the first guard off the bench to replace Kemba.

The big challenges for this team is how to play with GH and how to play without him. Chemistry when disrupted turns into a toxic solution. The other challenge is finding the right mix of rotation guys to integrate into the game while maintaining offensive proficiency.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:12 pm

Grant's making a case for himself tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:59 pm

I voted for CE prior to last night's break out performance. Dboss will back me up!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:52 pm

dboss wrote:
cowens/oldschool wrote:

Cow I believe our bench was near the bottom in terms of offensive scoring.  Ball don't lie.  This is a pick a player poll.  So it looks like you picked Gwill.  Is that your final answer?  GYSO set it up for vote cancelling.  Kanter by the way is in our top 8.  

As you know during the playoffs rotations get squeezed a bit.  In absence of a blowout game most of the bench will probably not play much at all.  Brad will rely heavily on his veteran guys.   I like Waters very much but he is our 4th string PG.  If Kemba is fully recovered his backup minutes will go to Smart and Wanamaker.  When Gordon leaves the bubble Marcus will move into the starting lineup and will play a ton of minutes.  Brad Wanamaker will be the first guard off the bench to replace Kemba.  

The big challenges for this team is how to play with GH and how to play without him.  Chemistry when disrupted turns into a toxic solution.  The other challenge is finding the right mix of rotation guys to integrate into the game while maintaining offensive proficiency.

dboss sorry just saw this, yes guess he would have had to be my first choice and didn’t see the game, but in highlights looks like he had a real good game, probably exceeding/surprising many. He has a toughness and intelligence to his game that I love and I think he can be a better version of P.J. Tucker going forward, that kind of player can help any team, especially in this era.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:39 am

That is one mind-numbingly weak list of players.

I looked at that and thought could we really have that crappy of a bench?

I went with Semi. And I don't even think he's an NBA level talent.

Then I thought can we get rid of that whole bunch? I'm still hopeful for R Williams, but the rest don't even make a good G-League roster.

What a wake-up call.

I'm sure Danny will shake this list up.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:44 pm

NYCelt wrote:That is one mind-numbingly weak list of players.

Then I thought can we get rid of that whole bunch? I'm still hopeful for R Williams, but the rest don't even make a good G-League roster.

What a wake-up call.

Semi is as good a choice as any because he is likely to get some minutes as will Gwill. These rotation guys will have limited playing time to make their mark. Miss a couple of shots and it will be a trip to the bench. This poll is about offensive scoring. Who is going to knock down shots for us off the bench better than they did before the shutdown.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:01 pm

What a wake-up call.

Are you giving up on all the young bench players or do you think some may still have potential?

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:08 am

The thing is....they have to get a shot at getting in the game. I just do not see Brad relying on Waters in the playoffs. If Romeo had had a little more time he probably would be the best choice other than Williams. It is just, when a game is on the line, the confidence has to be there.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:24 am

cowens/oldschool wrote:

What a wake-up call.

Are you giving up on all the young bench players or do you think some may still have potential?

Hey Cow; I hope all is good.

I guess you might say I'm just following that "eye test" fans often refer to.

I'm not trying to be super negative or overly critical of this group of young players, just making what I consider a matter-of-opinion statement. Based on observation, I don't think any of them can help the team. I really think several just aren't NBA players. You could accurately say that's behind my 'crappy bench' comment. The exceptions, to my way of thinking, might be R Williams if he can stay healthy, and maybe a very outside chance Langford can develop into something.

I also don't think that view, if correct, is a killer for the team's chances going forward. Filling bench spots outside the rotation is normally a revolving door. I believe we just need to filter more through.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:51 am

other than Semi and Wannamaker, Kanter, no one came in off the bench did they? RW did not play. Oh, Grant did get in for a few minutes a couple of times, those other guys, nope. I just cannot see them getting much if any time unless it is garbage time, whether we are up or down. This is why I wondered aloud why Danny did not just bring in one guy (who will remain nameless because we have harped on it enough) A shooter, since Kemba has some question marks around him. One guy, that is all.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:11 pm

I guess we could have had a 'NO ONE' option. I am going to stick with Romeo because I think he can outscore Grant if given similar PT.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by gyso Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:18 pm

gyso wrote:I voted for Romeo Langford.

He had such an inconsistent season, he cannot help but improve his offensive numbers.
He is already ready to play defense.
In a wing-centric league, he will be the first wing off the bench not named Smart.

Next player to play above his average: Semi Ojeleye or Grant Williams?

I'll go with Semi.  He has the experience edge and it looks like he may have found his shot.

With Romeo Langford out with a wrist ligament injury, I changed my vote to Semi Ojeleye. I almost went with Robert Williams but I am not confident that he has Coach Brad Stevens' trust as of yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down