dbrown4
cowens/oldschool
dboss
worcester
bobheckler
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jaylen Brown the key to Celtics regaining control of series against Raptors Empty Jaylen Brown the key to Celtics regaining control of series against Raptors

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:24 am

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/jaylen-brown-key-celtics-regaining-control-series-against-raptors

Jaylen Brown the key to Celtics regaining control of series against Raptors

BY A. SHERROD BLAKELY
CELTICS INSIDER

We are used to Jaylen Brown’s play making a powerful statement.

But what we saw in Game 4?

That’s not exactly what anyone south of the Canadian Border had in mind.

On a night when the Boston Celtics as a collective struggled in so many facets of play, the impact of Brown on the game’s outcome stood out for all the wrong reasons as Boston’s second-round series is now even at two games apiece following the Raptors 100-93 win over Boston on a night when Brown was at his absolute worst at both ends of the court.

How bad was it?

In addition to Pascal Siakam (23 points, 11 rebounds) having his way most of the game when Brown defended him, a first in this series, Brown countered with just 14 points on 4-for-18 shooting which included him missing nine of his 11 three-point shot attempts.

Having appeared in 333 NBA games (279 regular season plus another 54 in the playoffs) coming into Saturday’s Game 4 tilt, Brown had never taken 10 or more 3’s and shot so poorly from 3-point range.

The loss and Brown’s impact were both sobering realities to fans of the Celtics who will undoubtedly look back at his late-game gaffe in Game 3 as the turning point in this series if it doesn’t end with Boston moving on to the next round.

But there was another revelation to emerge from Boston’s Game 4 loss.

In order for Boston to get back to the Eastern Conference finals for the third time in the last four years, no one - not Jayson Tatum, not Kemba Walker, not Marcus Smart - is more important to Boston getting past Toronto than Brown.

Let’s start with his defense.

Brown went into Game 4 as the primary defender on Siakam who for the most part had been kept in check in this series.

That was not the case on Saturday as early foul trouble significantly limited Brown’s impact defensively.

“It’s tough, playing with foul trouble,” Brown said. “It takes away some of your aggressiveness and things like that. I put myself in some tough positions. A lot of that is on me.”

As Brown’s shot-making morphed into shot-chucking, Siakam found a rhythm with Brown defending him that we had not seen in this postseason or regular season for that matter.

Following the Game 4 loss, I asked Brown about his struggles shooting in Game 4, a game in which many of the shots he missed were shots that he had been making consistently throughout the playoffs.

“I just missed some open shots. I’m a good shooter. I just have to make them. It’s make-or-break time, the series is tied up,” Brown said. “Obviously we didn’t play that well, I didn’t play that well. We have to bounce back and be ready to fight; that’s what it comes down to."

He’s right.

It will take a much better effort by the Celtics to win Game 5 and regain control of the series.

And while all agree that there will be many hands that will play a role in any success by Boston going forward, Brown continues to be the most important Celtic in this series.

Because when they have won, more times than not Brown has been one of if not the best player for the Celtics.

And as for Tatum and Walker, we have seen the Celtics emerge victorious when each of them has had a subpar game, often because of Brown picking up the slack.

But in Game 4, we saw first-hand what happens when Brown has an off-night at both ends of the floor.

Boston can’t win Game 5 unless all their players, Brown included, come in with a must-win-at-all-costs mindset.

“We have to be ready to fight for our lives next game,” Brown said.

And in doing that, Brown will indeed make the kind of statement that Celtics fans have seen plenty of from him in the playoffs, providing exactly what the team needs to get back on its winning ways at a time when the stakes are high and the dreams of competing for an NBA title are real.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Jaylen Brown the key to Celtics regaining control of series against Raptors Empty Re: Jaylen Brown the key to Celtics regaining control of series against Raptors

Post by worcester Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:49 am

I have grown to dislike Sherrod Blakely's writing and lack of perceptive analysis over the years. Now with today"s piece I really dislike his writing. Obviously Jaylen had a bad night, but to say he had a gaffe in game three is NOT true and unfairly lays blame and responsibility on Jaylen for that Game 3 loss. Nothing more to say, except I hope Jaylen does not pick up any early fouls Monday.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Jaylen Brown the key to Celtics regaining control of series against Raptors Empty Re: Jaylen Brown the key to Celtics regaining control of series against Raptors

Post by bobheckler Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:01 pm

Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
yesterday
Since going 5 for 8 on threes in Game 1 vs. Philly, Jaylen is 13 for 51 in the seven playoff games since.

bob

bobheckler
bobheckler

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:04 pm

27.9% not counting Game 4 since Philly Game 1. That's Carsen Edwards territory.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:51 pm

The Celtics need everyone to play better.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions but everybody is not entitled to their own facts.

While Browns 3 point shooting meltdown stands out especially in game 4, JT, KW and MS all went 1-6 from deep. Believe it or not Jaylen's 2-11 numbers is actually a better percentage than going 1-6.

He did hit his last 2 attempts and I thought his mechanics were excellent. I am pretty certain that some of those misses were in fact structural issues and as long as he refocuses on the fundamentals he will be okay. By the way Siakum score 23 but he also went 2-13 from deep.

We are winning G5.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by cowens/oldschool Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:46 pm

Whenever Jaylen plays well, like an all star it seems we always win. I don’t know why we aren’t throwing more lobs to him when he’s covered by one of those tiny guards, ala Pierce.

cowens/oldschool

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:09 pm

Love your confidence, dboss, on G5.  It's Showtime!

db

P.S. In an unrelated note, MIA finally lost their first game in the playoff bubble.
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:17 pm

With Giannis hurt no less! Logically then he was obviously the culprit in their earlier losses. Coach Bud should sit him for the next three games so they can finish off the Heat. Just like we should sit Jaylen and replace him with Carsen Edwards whose NBA career 3 point % is 31.6%, higher than what JB has shown recently. Such logic is why Wyc should replace Brad with me and give me Brad's mega million salary.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:22 pm

Danny's putting together the paperwork as we post, worcester!!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by worcester Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:44 pm

db, I will give you the 10% agent fee...should come to a cool $400,000 for you.
worcester
worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:22 am

I can get by on that! Thank you, sir!

db

P.S. Here we go again with the down 3-0 march to the first team to do it. MIA has to be pissed!
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by BingBang! Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:07 am

The Celtics are the key. TO has 1 out-willed/out wanted/out-hustled, 2 out-coached 3 out-executed. In that order of importance IMO. The Celtics need to play with much greater intensity and urgency. Stevens has to scheme better for the zones and triple teams. Jaylen’s assists by game were 4,2, 2, 0. And I thought many of his looks were somewhat contested in game 4 and I don’t “blame” Jaylen for the loss at all; his assist totals are symptomatic of my main points.
BingBang!
BingBang!

Back to top Go down

Post by NYCelt Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:06 am

Jaylen may be among the keys, but it isn't entirely on his shoulders. Off game or not, he always comes to play.

A boost would also come from less small ball by Stevens. Going small in order to better defend the likes of Siakam and Ibaka wasn't exactly the answer. RWIII is going to need to be on the floor more than 15 minutes in order to avoid going down 3 - 2.

To me, Jaylen is more of a given. My game 5 keys are R Williams and Theis.
NYCelt
NYCelt

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:29 am

Toronto is a good team. They were never going down easily. If Brad had simply done the obvious thing and played man for those final 0.5 seconds in game 3, we would be up 3 to 1, in full control. JB will snap out of this funk.

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:27 pm

BingBang! wrote:The Celtics are the key. TO has 1 out-willed/out wanted/out-hustled, 2 out-coached  3 out-executed. In that order of importance IMO. The Celtics need to play with much greater intensity and urgency. Stevens has to scheme better for the zones and triple teams. Jaylen’s assists by game were 4,2, 2, 0. And I thought many of his looks were somewhat contested in game 4 and I don’t “blame” Jaylen for the loss at all; his assist totals are symptomatic of my main points.

BingBang

You make a good point regarding schemes. But some of that is on the team and not just the coach. The Celtics have seen all the zones so they just need to recognize how to attack it and when they don't, coach Stevens needs to call a timeout.

Regardless the Celtics have to shoot the 3 ball with more precision. After that it is all about winning the 50/50 opportunities.

The 3 ball just doesn't fall all the time so you have to attack the rim and not just settle for the 3 pointer especially if you are struggling.

The Celtics are very likely to come up with a new sense of urgency and energy.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:30 pm

dbrown4 wrote:Love your confidence, dboss, on G5.  It's Showtime!

db

P.S.  In an unrelated note, MIA finally lost their first game in the playoff bubble.  

Dbrown I didn't fall off the turnip wagon yesterday and I have no intentions of falling off now.

dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:40 pm

NYCelt wrote:Jaylen may be among the keys, but it isn't entirely on his shoulders. Off game or not, he always comes to play.

A boost would also come from less small ball by Stevens. Going small in order to better defend the likes of Siakam and Ibaka wasn't exactly the answer. RWIII is going to need to be on the floor more than 15 minutes in order to avoid going down 3 - 2.

To me, Jaylen is more of a given. My game 5 keys are R Williams and Theis.

NYCelt

I have to agree with you 100% and that is easy to do. They got a couple of offensive rebounds when our small ball lineup was in and Theis and RW were out. Yes I am talking about the inability of Gwill to control the defensive glass. Without a rim protector to at least challenge their post offense we are vulnerable.

The Celtics also need to do a better job passing the ball into the post where Theis and Rw can get looks at the rim. There were too many WTF passes.

The Celtics may also want to build a wall when Lowery starts driving to the rim. He more than any of their players sets the tone for the Raptors.
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:31 pm

I feel defending Lowry is the key to this game. He got off to a hot start last game and got every call early. They have to find a way of defending him better. Does he ever get fined for flopping??? Seems Smart has the record on that!! He is the heart of that team, there is no doubt about that. Sometimes it looks like he is an assistant coach out there. I always thought they made a mistake trading DeRozen, but I was so wrong, he is a bull out there and never gives up.
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by Shamrock1000 Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:42 pm

I know its probably my imagination, but it feels like Ibaka always kills, no matter what team he is playing for...But I agree, containing Lowry is key. I have grown to hate that guy in the most respectful way possible (i.e. knowing I would love him if he were on my team).

Shamrock1000

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:30 pm

No it is not your imagination. I have said that for a long time, in fact, when he was a free agent I was hoping that Danny would go after him. He is a terrific player. I feel the same way about Lowry, the yapping at the ref's drives me nuts, every play, every foul. His coach is the same way, in fact, the other night I was yelling, play was going on and Nurse was on the court complaining
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dbrown4 Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:28 pm

dboss,

You've been a Celtics fan longer than I have and you know far better than I. My mind on this game is whether this is going to be a painful learning experience for us (along with the series) or do we finally break through and move on to championship aspirations.

I long for your confidence and will one day have it!

db
dbrown4
dbrown4

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:43 pm

Bleed green dbrown, bleed green. Been doing it for so long I could never be negative. Ready to root them on, I am nervous as hell!!!!
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:45 pm

Jaylen Brown has not shot the ball well overall.  But he has set career playoff highs in several areas.

PPG 19.9 (call it 20). Rebounds 6.7,  assists 2.0

And for the eye opening stat - 90% from the FT line while going 36-40

But you cannot mention one J and not mention the other J

Jayson Tatum is also putting up career playoff highs in several areas.

PPG 24.4, rebounds 9.4, assists 3.4, blocks 1.1

He is also shooting 39.7% from deep, another career playoff high
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by RosalieTCeltics Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:35 pm

Their defense is for the most part excellent. As I was watching the other night, we were one and done, no offensive rebounding, the Raptors would run down and miss and we were not rebounding. I could not help but think of how great it would have been to have Gordon in there, he gets alot of those rebounds or blocks out so others can. I know it is crazy to talk about him because it is what it is, but boy would I love to have him around on that court
RosalieTCeltics
RosalieTCeltics

Back to top Go down

Post by dboss Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:17 pm

RosalieTCeltics wrote:Their defense is for the most part excellent.  As I was watching the other night, we were one and done, no offensive rebounding, the Raptors would run down and miss and we were not rebounding. I could not help but think of how great it would have been to have Gordon in there, he gets alot of those rebounds or blocks out so others can.  I know it is crazy to talk about him because it is what it is, but boy would I love to have him around on that court

Rosalie

Not sure when he will return.  But overall we have rebounded the well good against them.

GH got hurt on 8/17.  They said 4-6 weeks to recover.  4 weeks will be on Monday 9/14.

The Celtics are being coy about everything.  Brad responded to his status by advising that he has not seen him because he is in a room.

When we finish the Raptors off tomorrow and the Heat put the Bucks to sleep we will be right back at it by the 14th.   If GH is healthy enough to play he will not be in game shape.   There is no real practice time between games so his impact may be very limited and also he will to attend the birth of his child.   No one has mentioned a due date but we all know there is a due date.  So if by chance that 4 week recovery period is spot on he could ready to play and then out of the bubble again because the due date has become due.

At this point the Celtics cannot rely on him being there.  They need to plan on winning without him and I think they are already in that mind set.

I think we may have to get all the way to the finals before we have a full time GH available.  Maybe we will luck out and Robyn will tell him to stay in the bubble.  I know I am starting to sound like Brian Scalabrine but I know what my wife would tell me.  it would be something to the effect that she don't need no help pushing the baby out and I should go push the Celtics to the championship!   Very Happy
dboss
dboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next